Little Drummer Boy

24hoursfromtulsehill

Drumming: positive or not?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Personalities aside, what effect does the drumming have on the atmosphere?

• Gets the crowd going. I like it.
    • Breaks up other groups songs and lacks rhythm. I find it annoying.
    • Not fussed either way

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is in the archives of this site somewhere,Drummer boys crew giving it large to Clarke when we got the pen at Brentford

I was there at Brentford, but I didn't see what happened. Let me get this straight: Latics, who've played quite a lot of rubbish all afternoon, get a penalty in injury time. Score, and we steal a draw and keep our promotion hopes alive. Miss, and it might be all over for the season.

Am I right in thinking that people gave stick to the man in Blue who stepped up to take the penalty?

No quotes but.......Oh :censored: that black :censored: is taking it,something along those lines,but you get the drift

Unbelievable. Un :censored: believable. Absolutely burried it, though, didn't he? Did they cheer because we'd scored and robbed a draw? Or did they stand there cussing because the Man in Blue's skin happened to be brown?

Guest sheridans_world
Unbelievable. Un :censored: believable. Absolutely burried it, though, didn't he? Did they cheer because we'd scored and robbed a draw? Or did they stand there cussing because the Man in Blue's skin happened to be brown?

Didnt exactley Bury it but he scored it...

At Carlisle - the atmosphere was created by the 100 or so from various booze buses who'd all congregated together down the front. Not drummer boy. The whistle if anything created more than that drum

At Brentford, I cant even remember him actually drumming. Though I do remember the racist remarks coming from near him regarding a certain Leon Clarke, who did indeed have a 'mare.

Like Lordy said. If you want a drummer. Get someone who can actually play it to do it. Anyone can bang a barrier at the back of the stand to simply do what he's done in the past. Personally from the Lookers, I cant even hear it, so i'm not at all fussed.

Alcohol on away days is the main cause for the atmosphere.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

There was plenty of alcohol on the way to Gresty Road last season, I was way down the right hand side on the quite narrow section. LDB and his cru were between me and the bulk of our fans. All the drumming did was separate us from the rest of the Latics, he was only drumming along with what his mates wanted to sing rather than the rest of the fans, so I couldn’t even here what the main lot were singing half the time. I honestly feel that it might improve things for a small group of them but at the cost of damaging it for the rest. And why the hell does he hit his drum 10 or 15 times AFTER he’s (tried) to lead or go along with a song? It’s like we go along to listen to his show with the match as a supporting feature.

May I just suggest then that if our little drummer boy likes shouting racist abuse, then the next time he does it a report to the nearest steward and him and his drum maybe permenantly removed from BP. Normally I wouldn't like grasses, but if what has been said further up this thread is true then it would seem appropriate on this occasion.

May I just suggest then that if our little drummer boy likes shouting racist abuse, then the next time he does it a report to the nearest steward and him and his drum maybe permenantly removed from BP. Normally I wouldn't like grasses, but if what has been said further up this thread is true then it would seem appropriate on this occasion.

Bang on there IMO.

Alcohol and away days...what lovely words luke...im getting excited about the first away game already, who's it against?:)

Not swansea thankfully. I dont think I could handle that again. :shock::shock: Not that we drank that day or anything. :grin:

Had a long chat with Dave today, and I can understand his feelings. An accusation was made against him, the club effectively 'gave him up' to the police without any consultation or evidence, and it went on with the police even after the accusations had been dropped! My feeling is that the police still thought they could get a caution out of it...

At the end of the day, somebody that pays for a season ticket paid for the right to enjoy the use of that ticket without harrassment. In my opinion, somebody beating a drum next to me would constitute harrassment, even without the goading that Dave has endured since he complained about it. He will still be attending when he feels like it, but understandably some of his 'heart' for the club has gone.

Isn't it about time the club had 'professional' stewards to deal with the crowd? And police in the Chaddy End if necessary? I think the rules need applying throughout football grounds, and not just to the away supporters as we saw at Rochdale on Tuesday.

a drum is there to start chants and then go quiet once it is in full flow. this drum continues throughout the chant (out of tune) so whats the point of it? i say keep a drum, but play it very selectively, and if there is already a chant going keep out of it. the suggestion about the trust organising something is a good one. maybe if we all ganged up on him and started anti drummer chants he would get the message

Sack the drum sack the drum sack the drum!! sack the drum sack the drum sack the drum, sack the drum sack the drum sack the drum, sack the drum, SACK THE DRUM!!!!!!!

spot on, brighton away, half the croud were hammered! that was the only cause of the atmosphere then, oh, and there were a few in fancy dress for the crack!

:angry: just a few facts about (little) drummer boy and the truoble and abuse he recieved not caused!

firstly i have just joined this site hoping to have some interesting conversations with latics fans and have just read all the posts about MY SON yes the drummer boy is my son .

I will gladly answer any questions regarding this episode and i will be tottally honest and not biased

A lot of the post are way of the mark about what happened and it seems to me there has been a lot of roummer mongering goin on

so come on guys and girls fire away

fair play mate - I sit very close to where all the issues have originated and am a good friend of the guy you got summonsed to the police station. This guy has paid loads of money over the years to sit in his same seats and watch the game and quite rightly he dosnt want a loud drum banging in his ear - ok, so he had words with your lad and you yourself came over and had a few words yourself. The situation barely improved as your son would deliberately move over to the guy towards the end of some games and bang the drum provocatively. If fact, if I remember correctly, you actually TOLD him to bang it as loud as he could !!.

Anyway, whatever, I was there at all the games and although words were exchanged, I never witnessed any grabbing / assault etc.

What was the point of going to the old bill (via the club, Alan Hardy hang your head in shame!) - months later??. A bit pathetic in my opinion.

Let him sit next to you and bang it to his hearts content and allow others to watch the game in peace. According to Alan Hardy, your lad has a seat but never sits in it.

Sort it out please.

:angry: just a few facts about (little) drummer boy and the truoble and abuse he recieved not caused!

firstly i have just joined this site hoping to have some interesting conversations with latics fans and have just read all the posts about MY SON yes the drummer boy is my son .

I will gladly answer any questions regarding this episode and i will be tottally honest and not biased

A lot of the post are way of the mark about what happened and it seems to me there has been a lot of roummer mongering goin on

so come on guys and girls fire away

You seem like a reasonable person, so perhaps you are best placed to tell LDB to cease and desist. (My mum loves me playing the guitar, but she tells me not to bother anyone else with it, because, truth be told, I'm a bit rubbish.)

Anyway, I have two questions, for openers:

1. Is it true that you told LDB to bang the drum so as to deliberately wind people up? See previous post.

2. Was there physical contact in the "dispute", or was the "assault" a vexatious allegation designed to get a fellow fan in trouble with the law?

Simple questions, simple answers please.

just a couple of points that I would like to clarify :

1) Mr LDB senior told his lad when he was summonsed over by LDB early on in season to carry on banging it, and bang it as loud as you can. Fact.

2) the only times my mate can remember anything strange happening is that walking up sheepfoot lane after a match to get a ticket for an away game, he saw LDB and his mum. my mate made what he says was a light / amusing comment about the drum in a way that should have brought a smile or 2 - but he says that LDB's mum (presuming it was LDB's mum, apologies if not) gave him a filthy look and said she was getting him a bigger drum so he could make even more noise. Not a bridge-building statement IMHO. Anyway, it was weeks after that when mr plod called on my mate with allegations of assault. My mate cannot for the life of him recall where any possible allegations could have come from but thinks its pure malice because of the early comments made to LDB.

I do remember at a game where LDB moved right over from where he was sitting and planted himself right in front of my mate. My mate tapped him on his shoulder and politely asked him to move - LDB ignored him and banged his drum as hard as he could - sheer, unadulterated wind-up provocation. All my mate did was to chant very loudly 'sheridans blue and white army' behind LDB but he did nothing else. If tapping someone on the shoulder is assault then I need to be arrested 50 times a day and there would be no one left in the Chaddy.

Either get an agreed place for the drummer so everyone knows in advance and can act accordingly or ban it. it needs sorting before the season starts as feelings are already running high and no one wants any escalation of this situation.

just a couple of points that I would like to clarify :

1) Mr LDB senior told his lad when he was summonsed over by LDB early on in season to carry on banging it, and bang it as loud as you can. Fact.

2) the only times my mate can remember anything strange happening is that walking up sheepfoot lane after a match to get a ticket for an away game, he saw LDB and his mum. my mate made what he says was a light / amusing comment about the drum in a way that should have brought a smile or 2 - but he says that LDB's mum (presuming it was LDB's mum, apologies if not) gave him a filthy look and said she was getting him a bigger drum so he could make even more noise. Not a bridge-building statement IMHO. Anyway, it was weeks after that when mr plod called on my mate with allegations of assault. My mate cannot for the life of him recall where any possible allegations could have come from but thinks its pure malice because of the early comments made to LDB.

I do remember at a game where LDB moved right over from where he was sitting and planted himself right in front of my mate. My mate tapped him on his shoulder and politely asked him to move - LDB ignored him and banged his drum as hard as he could - sheer, unadulterated wind-up provocation. All my mate did was to chant very loudly 'sheridans blue and white army' behind LDB but he did nothing else. If tapping someone on the shoulder is assault then I need to be arrested 50 times a day and there would be no one left in the Chaddy.

Either get an agreed place for the drummer so everyone knows in advance and can act accordingly or ban it. it needs sorting before the season starts as feelings are already running high and no one wants any escalation of this situation.

Only a :censored: would describe a tap on the shoulder as "assault". Gone a bit quiet on the answers front, too, donchafink? Altogether now, fingers on lips...

Sssssshhhhhhhhhhhh...

Sorry 'bout that one...You're right, someone needs to sort this out, because everyone's going to be all wound up about it come the 11th, and we really should be getting behind the lads.

My suggestion is that the drum stays at home. No drum, no problem. Get rid.