Little Drummer Boy

24hoursfromtulsehill

Drumming: positive or not?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Personalities aside, what effect does the drumming have on the atmosphere?

• Gets the crowd going. I like it.
    • Breaks up other groups songs and lacks rhythm. I find it annoying.
    • Not fussed either way

this guy hitting a kid because he plays a drum what a joke and id love 2 smack him.

The guy and his crew are a bunch of scallies, wannabe hooligans.

Having said that, the drummer sounds like an absolute tool.

To be honest, please do smack him, you try, would like to see the outcome

...so come on guys and girls fire away...

Gone a bit quiet on the answers front, too, donchafink? Altogether now, fingers on lips..."

Don't let this descend into a witch hunt - I will close the topic - and I do not want to do that.

I believe there's an issue in this lot, and it's relates to the future of the drum, so please stop antagonising each other. I understand that this is a discussion in which disagreement will be expressed, but smacking people, baiting, and wild character assumptions will make the whole issue a lot worse.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't let this descend into a witch hunt - I will close the topic - and I do not want to do that.

I believe there's an issue in this lot, and it's relates to the future of the drum, so please stop antagonising each other. I understand that this is a discussion in which disagreement will be expressed, but smacking people, baiting, and wild character assumptions will make the whole issue a lot worse.

Apologies for my part in that. Not clever. :dunce:

im the drummer on my dads account.

first of all id like to say that i mean to cause no trouble at all at football matches, just get behind my team.

secondly if i could afford a bass drum i would gladly buy one and move to a suitable place were everyboday would be happy.

however i wish not to be known as a scallie hooligan wannabe as somebody quoted in an earlier post.

Also in an earlier post somebody quoted that we soon dropped charges on the man when statements from witnesses were issued. we never intended taking further action on the man as it was over the top, we didnt even know of and statements.

also i have recently purchased my new season ticket, it was initialy in the middle of the singing section of the chaddy end on row k. after seeing this post i am now going to the club to ask for a suitable seat with my mates "not cronies" so that i can say if anyone complains that i have been put here. as for the rhythm side... well theres nothing i can do about that, i have been rehersing my new drum beats.

first of all id like to say that i mean to cause no trouble at all at football matches, just get behind my team.

secondly if i could afford a bass drum i would gladly buy one and move to a suitable place were everyboday would be happy.

When you couldn't find a seat with your mates and sat in the seat offered to you immediately behind me, I asked you to keep the beat going for longer than normally to prolong the chant. You responded magnificently and did a great job, in spite of the blistered fingers.

Also my hearing is back to normal now.....pardon! :grin:

Good luck to you.

if i could afford a bass drum i would gladly buy one and move to a suitable place were everyboday would be happy.

...as for the rhythm side... well theres nothing i can do about that, i have been rehersing my new drum beats.

Even before the blow up, I would have strongly urged you not to buy a bass drum, let alone bring it to the match. Also - I don't mean any offence - I've heard better drumming.

In a way, it doesn't really matter how good you are or how much you practice because footy songs have enough rhythm of their own and a strange tempo. Everyone takes their lead from the people next to them or the people they can hear loudest. It's impossible to stick to a set rhythm, no one does, so the drum breaks the rhythm and tempo of the song. IMO.

However, the main issue on the thread is the row and the fact that, because of it, one long standing fan and his family won't be going to the game because of it. Some of us think that it isn't right.

However, the main issue on the thread is the row and the fact that, because of it, one long standing fan and his family won't be going to the game because of it. Some of us think that it isn't right.

thats totally his decission but the fact is that he did pull my ear and shout abuse into it.. its not my fault of the circumstances. i didnt go out to make us lose a "life long fan"

You seem like a reasonable person, so perhaps you are best placed to tell LDB to cease and desist. (My mum loves me playing the guitar, but she tells me not to bother anyone else with it, because, truth be told, I'm a bit rubbish.)

Anyway, I have two questions, for openers:

1. Is it true that you told LDB to bang the drum so as to deliberately wind people up? See previous post.

2. Was there physical contact in the "dispute", or was the "assault" a vexatious allegation designed to get a fellow fan in trouble with the law?

Simple questions, simple answers please.

answer to number 1. yes it is true i told him to bang it as loud as possible after provication from the said man.. and on the advice of the police. but not deliberately to wind other people up

2.yes there was phyicall contact, the man grabbed my sons ear and screamed down it a lot of abuse.

thats totally his decission but the fact is that he did pull my ear and shout abuse into it.. its not my fault of the circumstances. i didnt go out to make us lose a "life long fan"

fair enough DB - you make some valid points BUT if you never intended taking it further as it was 'over the top', - why go to the old bill in the first place ??- that only made things ten times worse !!. Hey, its not 1 fan who this has lost but 4 who also feel the club did sweet fa to help dispite regular consultation with stewards and Alan Hardy (chocolate fireguard btw !).

We all need to start the new season on a positive note and some of your comments are encouraging but you have to realise that not everyone wants a drum being beaten next to them, especially when they chose seats unaware that it would happen.

I'm not sure you handled it rightly - perhaps you got poor advice. Anyway, its over now hopefully and everyone can move on.

No winners here at all ! with a bit of common sense it could have all been avoided.

just a couple of points that I would like to clarify :

1) Mr LDB senior told his lad when he was summonsed over by LDB early on in season to carry on banging it, and bang it as loud as you can. Fact.

2) the only times my mate can remember anything strange happening is that walking up sheepfoot lane after a match to get a ticket for an away game, he saw LDB and his mum. my mate made what he says was a light / amusing comment about the drum in a way that should have brought a smile or 2 - but he says that LDB's mum (presuming it was LDB's mum, apologies if not) gave him a filthy look and said she was getting him a bigger drum so he could make even more noise. Not a bridge-building statement IMHO. Anyway, it was weeks after that when mr plod called on my mate with allegations of assault. My mate cannot for the life of him recall where any possible allegations could have come from but thinks its pure malice because of the early comments made to LDB.

I do remember at a game where LDB moved right over from where he was sitting and planted himself right in front of my mate. My mate tapped him on his shoulder and politely asked him to move - LDB ignored him and banged his drum as hard as he could - sheer, unadulterated wind-up provocation. All my mate did was to chant very loudly 'sheridans blue and white army' behind LDB but he did nothing else. If tapping someone on the shoulder is assault then I need to be arrested 50 times a day and there would be no one left in the Chaddy.

Either get an agreed place for the drummer so everyone knows in advance and can act accordingly or ban it. it needs sorting before the season starts as feelings are already running high and no one wants any escalation of this situation.

obviuosly you are mates with this man so theres no point discussing it with you. you have heard his side and nobody else's. your friend did not just tap him on the shoulder, he grabbed his ear and screamed down his ear hole at the end of the game when most people had left. just for the record it was not us who pressed charges, it was the police who took it on them selves to talk to your mate (dad)

Even before the blow up, I would have strongly urged you not to buy a bass drum, let alone bring it to the match. Also - I don't mean any offence - I've heard better drumming.

In a way, it doesn't really matter how good you are or how much you practice because footy songs have enough rhythm of their own and a strange tempo. Everyone takes their lead from the people next to them or the people they can hear loudest. It's impossible to stick to a set rhythm, no one does, so the drum breaks the rhythm and tempo of the song. IMO.

ill bet you that the first home game v swansea that guy and his mates will be there

obviuosly you are mates with this man so theres no point discussing it with you. you have heard his side and nobody else's. your friend did not just tap him on the shoulder, he grabbed his ear and screamed down his ear hole at the end of the game when most people had left. just for the record it was not us who pressed charges, it was the police who took it on them selves to talk to your mate (dad)

you can discuss anything you want my friend - yes, this guy is a mate of mine (he certainly aint my dad btw !!) but I witnessed all of the events and it left me feeling very uneasy as it all could have been avoided. I saw my mate tap him on the shoulder to get his attention and, yes, he did shout. I'm not saying that it was right but I didnt ever see any physical assaults or your sons ear grabbed. From everyone else who I have spoken to, they didnt either. My point is that it al should never have escalated and it has cost the club a lot of cash and a lot of goodwill. Also, its not about 'hearing sides' but as I sit nearby I witnessed it all, unlike you who got told second hand. Its not about sides, its trying to make the best of a bad job.

Ok I have deleted the post from MUM because as for as I am aware no charges have been brought against anyone and therefore we are now touching on libel.

I WILL delete the entire post if this continues

Ok I have deleted the post from MUM because as for as I am aware no charges have been brought against anyone and therefore we are now touching on liable.

I WILL delete the entire post if this continues

dont know what u mean touching on the liable, were just saying it as it is. what about deleting all the insulting comments towards my son that have appeared on this post. all my answers have been done with honesty and respect.

dont know what u mean touching on the liable, were just saying it as it is. what about deleting all the insulting comments towards my son that have appeared on this post. all my answers have been done with honesty and respect.

also is it not liable when u call my son a scallie/ hooligan/ his cronie gang. my son is an A grade student and has been brought up to respect people and not lie.

and on the advice of the police

2.yes there was phyicall contact, the man grabbed my sons ear and screamed down it a lot of abuse.

What exactly was that police advice? I'm no great fan of Greater Manchester's finest, but I find it hard to believe that they would encourage you to deliberately provoke people.

Also, I'm struggling to picture a manoeuvre by which a person can grab another person's ear and shout abuse down it without it being assault. Sometimes, when I'm feeling frisky, and if she's been good, I pin Mrs. 24hours' head to the floor and lick her ear. Was it like that? Mrs. 24hours calls the cops after such incidents, and I have to go to court to defend myself, but I don't really have a leg to stand on.

If it was how you say it was in point 2, surely there would have been charges?

What exactly was that police advice? I'm no great fan of Greater Manchester's finest, but I find it hard to believe that they would encourage you to deliberately provoke people.

Also, I'm struggling to picture a manoeuvre by which a person can grab another person's ear and shout abuse down it without it being assault. Sometimes, when I'm feeling frisky, and if she's been good, I pin Mrs. 24hours' head to the floor and lick her ear. Was it like that? Mrs. 24hours calls the cops after such incidents, and I have to go to court to defend myself, but I don't really have a leg to stand on.

If it was how you say it was in point 2, surely there would have been charges?

no comment, i said i would answer quiestions honestly and unbiased goodnight

Yes some strong things have been said but by both sides ... I'm not here to judge who's right or who's wrong I'm just looking to prevent this getting out of hand. However the assault comments that have been made I believe took this to a level that I feel is not right to discuss here especially as the Police have already been involved. made.

I welcome yours and your families comments and I am glad that you have been willing to put your point across. I hope you continue to post on owtb.

I think that by your son agreeing to try to find a position in the Chaddy that suits everyone is the result we all wanted and I'm sure that we can discuss this at a later date. Yes some find the drumming a little annoying at times (myself included only as I want to see 'com on Oldham' back for corners) but if your son can take (and not react like he can sometines does)in some constructive critism (as well as applause he does deserve at time .... I've seen his blistered hands)) we'll get there ...... there being the best way to get behind the team!!!!!!

I think its time to leave this one and look forward to the Swansea game.

KTF

Mark

Does the poll at the beginning of this thread count for nothing? Over 60% of us don't rate the drum, regardless of the personalities involved. If the LDB is to continue, (and I can grudgingly put up with it), how about he compromises even further and just drums to start some chants. That way, his blistered hands should heal up too. Everyone's a winner.

Does the poll at the beginning of this thread count for nothing? Over 60% of us don't rate the drum, regardless of the personalities involved. If the LDB is to continue, (and I can grudgingly put up with it), how about he compromises even further and just drums to start some chants. That way, his blistered hands should heal up too. Everyone's a winner.

this is gonna be mylast post on this subject and probably on this site . Near the end of the season just after these events it was suggested that my son doesn`t bang his drum as much he took this advice and did calm it down a bit also he was moved to another seat which every one was happy with. Today he has been to the club and changed his seat number to a more convenient place for hopefully everyone .HE`S DOIN HIS BEST TO ACCOMADATE YOU ALL SO HOW ABOUT CUTTING HIM A BIT OF SLACK . thankyou for reading and good bye (bac to the exciting latics mad board i suppose )

The drum does my head in. I sat near him at Cheltenham and Carlisle. However, it is a free world and we should tolerate other people's actions. If it annoyed me too much, I would move seats if possible.

I also don't like the Sheffield Wednesday England band. I think that they stop new songs and chants from developing.

We should all get them old fashioned wooden rattles.......Oldham, Oldham, Ra, Ra, Ra!!

Guest oa_exile
this is gonna be mylast post on this subject and probably on this site . Near the end of the season just after these events it was suggested that my son doesn`t bang his drum as much he took this advice and did calm it down a bit also he was moved to another seat which every one was happy with. Today he has been to the club and changed his seat number to a more convenient place for hopefully everyone .HE`S DOIN HIS BEST TO ACCOMADATE YOU ALL SO HOW ABOUT CUTTING HIM A BIT OF SLACK . thankyou for reading and good bye (bac to the exciting latics mad board i suppose )

I think that is a fitting post to close this thread now as Blue Forty says

HE`S DOIN HIS BEST TO ACCOMADATE YOU ALL SO HOW ABOUT CUTTING HIM A BIT OF SLACK.

this is gonna be mylast post on this subject and probably on this site

I hope we dont see the last of you , you are more than welcome to post on OWTB