Alan Wright

LaticsLegend

Alan Wright  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Alan Wright, Is he worth a contract?

• Yes, sign him up!
    • No, not worth the chance.
    • Maybe, extend his trial, then decide.

After watching Alan Wright and seeing the season getting closer, a left back is still needed.

But would YOU offer him a deal?

i would offer him a 12 month contract, he has the experience and the know how to help us along this season and his deliverys into the box have been impressive over the years, i just hope ricketts can finish

I suspect given our dire need for a Left back and the fact that our interest in Boertein seems to have dropped that Shez will play Wright at Clyde and then take a view.

We are running out of time before the season starts to find someone else if he decides that Wright is not what he is looking for.

Edited by Hometownclub

An extended trial would be the best way forward, I think it would be tough to make a decision on him based on a few days training and the Rochdale game. I think we would need to have a thorough look at his fitness too as, as we have seen with Simon Charlton players of this vintage always seem to have a few problems under the surface. He has the quality we are look for though without doubt and would be a good example to our tounger players in this position.

It appears from the OS that Wright did not go to Scotland with the rest of the squad. Stayed behind, so as not to risk getting injured whilst on tiral ! So you go on trial somewhere but don't play in case you might get injured. Strange.

Guest oa_exile

:unsure: Dont shoot the messenger but just seen this in the >>MEN<< :blink:

Wright deal off 26/ 7/2007

OLDHAM'S hopes of signing Alan Wright have collapsed.

The 35-year-old former Blackburn, Aston Villa and Middlesbrough defender played in Tuesday night's 2-1 defeat at Rochdale.

He was due to be checked out further by boss John Sheridan on the Latics' four-day tour of Scotland but wasn't in the squad when the party left Boundary Park on Wednesday.

Guest sheridans_world

I prefer the OS, Exile :grin:

>>Wright deal ON<<

The reason he isnt in the squad is because he doesnt want to risk injury whilst on trial, fair comment.

Edited by sheridans_world

Guest oa_exile
I prefer the OS, Exile :grin:

>>Wright deal ON<<

The reason he isnt in the squad is because he doesnt want to risk injury whilst on trial, fair comment.

:unsure: Dont shoot the messenger but just seen this in the MEN :blink:

I also prefer the news from the OS , strange comment though from the MEN

Guest sheridans_world

Journalists looking for a story during the close season mate...

Thought he did ok at Rocky Though as we were sat in front of the directors box, when there "icckle" sub came on as well, i had to ask about him and Wright...."How far away are they!!!!" They were over the other side of the field, yet both looked like they were miles away!! :D

He doesn't want to play a friendly and get hurt. So It'll be OK to play and get injured once he has a contract will it? What a ridiculous situation. Really, what's all that about!!

He doesn't want to play a friendly and get hurt. So It'll be OK to play and get injured once he has a contract will it? What a ridiculous situation. Really, what's all that about!!

Dunno, it's a tough one. It only takes one Caledonian pyscho to go in on him and that's about it for his career. If he's out for 3-4 weeks, which can happen to anyone then he's probably not playing league football again.

It's a friendly, there are not suppose to be any nasty challenges

What is all that about, getting injured while playing, he could of gone up north trained with team and without playing.

I did like what I saw on Tuesday, good performance a little rusty but good experience and could be a great asset in our team.

Not going, is he telling us he's injury prone?

Guest oa_exile
:unsure: Dont shoot the messenger but just seen this in the >>MEN<< :blink:

lol :grin: MEN have now changed it >>MEN<<

Oldham plan Wright talks 26/ 7/2007

JOHN Sheridan will hold talks with Alan Wright next week over a possible deal despite the defender's absence from the Latics' four-day tour of Scotland.

The former Aston Villa man played 90 minutes of Oldham's 2-1 defeat at Rochdale and will now link up with the squad on Saturday.

Sheridan told the club's website, www.oldhamathletic.co.uk: "Alan did OK considering he's only been with the lads for two days. He's got great experience and is a quality player."

If he's not playing or refusing to play because of the injury threat to himself then how can we possibly offer him a contract.

I would point out to him that he is putting himself in the shop window and giving himself the possibilty of being offered a contract.

If he is so worried about getting injured in a friendly, then he we must be more than a little concerned about his long term fitness.

If he is refusing to play and making Shez make his judgement on what he saw the other night then I would pass on him, at nearly 36 he's not in a position to be calling the shots.

Edited by Hometownclub

Guest oa_exile

Here we go ......... the Agent (Gary Lloyd) is involved !!

Quote from Chron :

Wright out of Scotland trip by TONY BUGBY AND MICHAEL YARWOOD

ALAN WRIGHT is still keen to sign for Athletic despite pulling out of the club’s four-day trip to Scotland.

The 35-year-old left back was originally named in Athletic’s 22-strong squad after appearing in Tuesday’s friendly at Rochdale.

When Wright, released by Sheffield United in the summer, did not travel to Scotland there was speculation that a move for the player had broken down.

But Gary Lloyd, Wright’s agent, cleared up the matter, saying: “No offer has been made to Alan and as such we couldn’t afford to let him go to Scotland and risk being injured when he doesn’t have a contract.

“Another player on trial this week has broken his metatarsal and will be out for eight weeks and we couldn’t afford to do that.

“Alan was asked to play at Rochdale to prove his fitness which he did, having trained pre-season with Sheffield United. He certainly wasn’t on trial as, having played 625 games in his career, his quality was never in question.”

Lloyd added that Glossop-based Wright wants to join Athletic and manager John Sheridan has also expressed a desire for him to come on board.

“It is definitely not dead and we are waiting for Oldham to table an offer and hopefully something will be sorted out over the next few days.” Lloyd explained.

Athletic must focus on improving their defensive play in tonight’s friendly at Clyde, Sheridan has admitted.

Soft goals were conceded in this week’s defeat against Rochdale, and Sheridan is keen to stamp out the errors which also afflicted his team for parts of last season.

Athletic arrived in Cumbernauld yesterday evening and will stay until Saturday – the trip is designed as a training camp and bonding session.

The manager said: “I’m sick of talking about the sloppiness of our defending, so we need to sort it out quickly.

“That’s the good thing about pre-season – you can learn from games which don’t matter too much – but we’ve got a lot of work in front of us.”

Athletic have taken a squad of 21 players and new signing Michael Ricketts should also start. Sheridan is hoping the ex-Premiership striker (28) will adapt quickly to life at a lower level.

He said: “It’s going to be hard for Michael because, with respect to the other lads, he has been with high-quality players right through his career.

“People are looking up to him, expecting a lot, and he might have to work a bit harder for his rewards, but we all know he has the talent to do that.”

ATHLETIC (from): Crossley, Pogliacomi, Lomax, Thompson, Gregan, Liddell, Allott, Kalala, Taylor, Davies, Ricketts, Eardley, Wolfenden, McDonald, Stam, Alessandra, Smalley, Trotman, Pearson, Holness, Kelly.

It's a friendly, there are not suppose to be any nasty challenges

you obviously don't remember eyres's 'mate' sinclair when we played city in a 'friendly'...

we lost our star oap for a number of weeks!!

he could of trained with them though like you say..... mind you given the choice..have you seen cumbernauld??? it's like st mary's estate but 100 times bigger!!!!

I have to say, that on this occasion, i think the agents right! :shock: He doesn't need to prove his ability, just if he would be match fit and i thought he looked okay against the dale. He doesn't need to go and play in a 'meaningless' pre-season friendly to show what he's about, risking injury and therefore the possibility of getting a deal anywhere!!

He's been pre season training with Sheff utd and is probably ahead of quite a few of our pros in terms of fitness.

Let's have him raring to go for the for the first game and give Lomax a chance to get a few games under his belt.

Edited by futchers briefs