Stadium Redevelopment Update from Council site

Regarding the Clayton, I now hear we've completed on the contract but can't operate it for a set period (not sure how long but hear it could be very soon indeed). A deep cleaning truck was seen outside there today taking equipment inside. Let's just hope they can go deep enough to get them Lees' staines out....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the Clayton, I now hear we've completed on the contract but can't operate it for a set period (not sure how long but hear it could be very soon indeed). A deep cleaning truck was seen outside there today taking equipment inside. Let's just hope they can go deep enough to get them Lees' staines out....

I'll drink to that - with sheridans_world and newyorkboss! :grin:

I'll drink to that - with sheridans_world and newyorkboss! :grin:

Diego, you also seem to be missing one crucial point.....

.... If they dont sort out the service at the bar, it is irrelevant when it opens, you still wont get a bloomin pint! ....

.... If they dont sort out the service at the bar, it is irrelevant when it opens, you still wont get a bloomin pint! ....

Bigfin, you also seem to be missing one crucial point.....

.... We are dealing with successful businessmen, who will have learned from their predecessors' mistakes.!

I think all the NIMBY dwellings in this picture have been built since the football ground was established.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1376/109346...6053f68c9_b.jpg

It's true to say that no complaints were heard when the RRE was built and also Boundary Park was established long before most of the houses, but my understanding of it is that the local residents are not opposed to the redevelopment of Boundary Park, it's the building of the houses/apartments that are to fund the stadium that is the problem. It's very frustrating as these are probably the same people who are complaining that their son/daughter can't afford to buy a house in the area, but when a plan is there to try to meet demand with extra supply they are all up in arms. Maybe a solution to this is to look at the number of dewellings in the plans and see if we cannot reduce it a bit to try and get at least some of the residents on side and push the plans through more quickly.

I listened to the interview with Simon Corney on the radio a while back and he says that TTA latest business ventures surround property development and I'm sure this was one of the factors involved in them buying us. If we don't get permission for the houses/stadium I worry a bit about their long term involvement with us.

Any decent town in this country has a professional football club; and we saw with the success in the 'pinch me' era that the town recieves a massive boost from success on the pitch and extra investment from business soon follows. It's about time these NIMBY's stopped thinking just about themselves but what would benefit the town of Oldham as a whole going forward.

:ktf:

What stuns me more than anything about these people is, if they get their way (hypothetically speaking) and we decide we'll move elsewhere or the unthinkable happens, what do they think will happen to BP?

Will it just be left as it is? A huge piece of land, with a car park and a stadium left to rot? Or will it be sold off and have even more homes than the original plans have?

This is the lesser of two evils for them. Things could get much, much worse for them. I don't think they'll fight this off but if they do, it'll only be a short term thing. Property eventually will be built there and there is not a thing any of them can do.

Any decent town in this country has a professional football club; and we saw with the success in the 'pinch me' era that the town recieves a massive boost from success on the pitch and extra investment from business soon follows. It's about time these NIMBY's stopped thinking just about themselves but what would benefit the town of Oldham as a whole going forward.

This is where the Council has a role and, regardless of what has happened in the past, this time the Council must fullfil its duty to the Borough as a whole and not give in to the vociferous few in that locality.

• 3 weeks later...

When was the last time any manjor development happened in the town ??? Spindles is the only one I can recall (15 years ago ?).....

Since then the entertainment complex they were going to build in Oldham didnt happen....IKEA gave up and went to Ashton.....our origingal planning permision for a new ground was turned down.....and this business park in Hollinwood seems to have dissapeared as well.....

I have no faith in the council to do anything which will improve this town.....the lot of them are just concerned about staying in for another year......would not be surprised to see the application rejected, no matter how good it will be for the town overall...

Oldham is dieing...and the council is the cancer!

Don't worry Big Fin, there will be no problems getting a pint in that big room. Lets just say that the person who is almost certainly going to be running the Clayton is Latics through and through and KNOWS how to run a successful pub.

Guest sheridans_world
Don't worry Big Fin, there will be no problems getting a pint in that big room. Lets just say that the person who is almost certainly going to be running the Clayton is Latics through and through and KNOWS how to run a successful pub.

Shoulda stayed at his old one.

This is where the Council has a role and, regardless of what has happened in the past, this time the Council must fullfil its duty to the Borough as a whole and not give in to the vociferous few in that locality.

Tonight's rarely wrong Chron says:

"

‘Oldham worst’ report comes under attack

by Usma Raja

A LEADING councillor has blasted a report which suggests Oldham is one of the worst places to set up a business.

Portman Travel ranked the borough at the bottom of the table and concluded that Bradford is the best place for a company to put its headquarters.

The research was based on the perception of 100 industry leaders and Oldham scored the lowest on a combination of factors.

Bob Govan, marketing and development director at Portman Travel said Oldham and towns at the bottom had relatively poor transport connections and smaller pools of potential employees.

But Oldham’s Cabinet member for environment and regeneration, Councillor David Hibbert said the report failed to recognise the town’s positive attributes.

He said: “We are tired of people writing about Oldham without even visiting the borough and seeing for themselves the many positive developments and initiatives.

“The report fails to recognise the extension of the Metrolink service to the town centre, the expansion of the university Oldham campus and the exciting new vision to develop an educational and theatre quarter in Oldham’s West End.”

He added: “It also omits recent commercial developments such as the new Tesco, Asda and H&M stores.

A number of local commercial leaders also described the report as out-of date poppycock.

Bradford outranked cities such as London, Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow as the best place to set up businesses.

The bottom 10 locations also included York, Stockport and Cambridge. "

If it approves the planning applications for the redevelopment of BP, the Council will take a bold and imaginative step forward in the future progress – not only of professional sport in the town – but also for the Borough as a whole. The benefits of this type of development have been demonstrated with similar projects throughout the country. The proposals will attract a great deal of commercial interest in the proposed hotel and conference venue. The direct motorway access will open up a conference market of 20 million people who live and work less than 90 minutes drive from Boundary Park.

Tonight's rarely wrong Chron says:

"

‘Oldham worst’ report comes under attack

by Usma Raja

A LEADING councillor has blasted a report which suggests Oldham is one of the worst places to set up a business.

Portman Travel ranked the borough at the bottom of the table and concluded that Bradford is the best place for a company to put its headquarters.

The research was based on the perception of 100 industry leaders and Oldham scored the lowest on a combination of factors.

Bob Govan, marketing and development director at Portman Travel said Oldham and towns at the bottom had relatively poor transport connections and smaller pools of potential employees.

But Oldham’s Cabinet member for environment and regeneration, Councillor David Hibbert said the report failed to recognise the town’s positive attributes.

He said: “We are tired of people writing about Oldham without even visiting the borough and seeing for themselves the many positive developments and initiatives.

“The report fails to recognise the extension of the Metrolink service to the town centre, the expansion of the university Oldham campus and the exciting new vision to develop an educational and theatre quarter in Oldham’s West End.â€

He added: “It also omits recent commercial developments such as the new Tesco, Asda and H&M stores.

A number of local commercial leaders also described the report as out-of date poppycock.

Bradford outranked cities such as London, Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow as the best place to set up businesses.

The bottom 10 locations also included York, Stockport and Cambridge. "

If it approves the planning applications for the redevelopment of BP, the Council will take a bold and imaginative step forward in the future progress – not only of professional sport in the town – but also for the Borough as a whole. The benefits of this type of development have been demonstrated with similar projects throughout the country. The proposals will attract a great deal of commercial interest in the proposed hotel and conference venue. The direct motorway access will open up a conference market of 20 million people who live and work less than 90 minutes drive from Boundary Park.

I totally agree with Oldham coming last. Not enough major employers. Everytime anyone trys to setup shop here we chase them out of town!!! Ikea is the best example. And there has been many more failed projects! Are stadium plans could be next no matter how good they are for the town.

Oldham Council has been diseased for a long time. Too busy taking opinions of the few instead of considering the benefits to the many. To many councilers more worried about staying in office instead of getting this town out of the gutter.

Town suffers from low employment, what employment there is low skilled, not enough oppotunities, failing schools........there is nothing to aim for living in this town. You look around and all we have is dieing town centre full of pound shops and cheap cafes (although a recent vist reviled a nice coffee shop in the town sqaure....i was shocked!)....and warehouse after warehouse offering nothing but picker packer jobs.....

So you end up with kids growing up with nothing to aim for and the few that to do grow up to have any talents go out of the town to find work.....so the cycle continues......

Now im not doing anyone down who might do those jobs (good hard working people keep this place going!!!) but im sure we all want are kids to aim higher and do as well as they can......and i dont think our kids get offered that chance! ...well not in this town anyways!

The stadium development at latics will create jobs....both low skiller and high skilled! Will keep profesional sport alive in the town and will give are kids an example of what can be achived in this world...... But it shouldnt stop there...we need the development at hollinwood to get going and we need to start getting new business into the town.....

More business in the town mean more money for latics through sponosorship etc.....not a granteed bet but it cant be a bad thing.....big sucesful local firm maybe intrested in sponsoring us....has to be better than a two bit car dealership!

Edited by oafc0000

I totally agree with Oldham coming last. Not enough major employers. Everytime anyone trys to setup shop here we chase them out of town!!! Ikea is the best example. And there has been many more failed projects! Are stadium plans could be next no matter how good they are for the town.

Oldham Council has been diseased for a long time. Too busy taking opinions of the few instead of considering the benefits to the many. To many councilers more worried about staying in office instead of getting this town out of the gutter.

Town suffers from low employment, what employment there is low skilled, not enough oppotunities, failing schools........there is nothing to aim for living in this town. You look around and all we have is dieing town centre full of pound shops and cheap cafes (although a recent vist reviled a nice coffee shop in the town sqaure....i was shocked!)....and warehouse after warehouse offering nothing but picker packer jobs.....

So you end up with kids growing up with nothing to aim for and the few that to do grow up to have any talents go out of the town to find work.....so the cycle continues......

Now im not doing anyone down who might do those jobs (good hard working people keep this place going!!!) but im sure we all want are kids to aim higher and do as well as they can......and i dont think our kids get offered that chance! ...well not in this town anyways!

The stadium development at latics will create jobs....both low skiller and high skilled! Will keep profesional sport alive in the town and will give are kids an example of what can be achived in this world...... But it shouldnt stop there...we need the development at hollinwood to get going and we need to start getting new business into the town.....

More business in the town mean more money for latics through sponosorship etc.....not a granteed bet but it cant be a bad thing.....big sucesful local firm maybe intrested in sponsoring us....has to be better than a two bit car dealership!

No doubt there is a lot of truth in that, but it isn't the same as saying that it's a bad place to set up business. Look at York and Cambridge, both near the bottom of the list. Very beautiful cities packed with top of the range shops, leisure facilities and highly paid tech jobs. The fact is this makes them very expensive to set up in. Partly for the reasons you describe, Oldham offers cheap property and affordable labour whilst still being accessable. The things that are wrong are also part of why it could be turned around. The most important thing is for the council to get out of the way of potential investment and do nothing to increase costs on it.

No doubt there is a lot of truth in that, but it isn't the same as saying that it's a bad place to set up business. Look at York and Cambridge, both near the bottom of the list. Very beautiful cities packed with top of the range shops, leisure facilities and highly paid tech jobs. The fact is this makes them very expensive to set up in. Partly for the reasons you describe, Oldham offers cheap property and affordable labour whilst still being accessable. The things that are wrong are also part of why it could be turned around. The most important thing is for the council to get out of the way of potential investment and do nothing to increase costs on it.

I think the skills shortage is a problem, kind of were i was going.

I totaly agree with your comment :

The most important thing is for the council to get out of the way of potential investment and do nothing to increase costs on it.

but this is what exactly has been happening. About time the people of Oldham demanded more out of there council. The development at Boundary Park is actually more important for Oldham than Oldham Athletic but people dont see that.....

I also agree that a number of are weakness can be used as tools to stimulate growth!

Edited by oafc0000

Hmmm so they have a low pool of skilled workforce. Well considering that Manchester has the biggest student populace in the country, that doesnt make any sense. There 1000s of students who want to stay in the Manchester region, can't afford the South side so move to the north side to places like Oldham.

Transport connections????? The M62?????

Hmmm so they have a low pool of skilled workforce. Well considering that Manchester has the biggest student populace in the country, that doesnt make any sense. There 1000s of students who want to stay in the Manchester region, can't afford the South side so move to the north side to places like Oldham.

Transport connections????? The M62?????

Your right about transport connections....M62 and M60....also the bus system isnt all that bad....average of a bus every five mins during the day between Oldham and Manchester.....

Regarding workforce what I say is true, OLDHAM does have a skills shortgage. Manchester is not Oldham. Alot of the sudents in manchester come from outside of manchester and return home afterwards. There are plenty of business in Manchester (traford park) and other towns around here competing for the students.....

A new start company would struggle to attract people to oldham due to that fact oldham isnt a great place to live, manchester is too expensive and when you consider living somewhere and traveling to the town the expenses can grow. Best chance of a new start company to get these students is to target people who grew up in Oldham and have been to uni and are looking for work. Thats what the term skill shortgage really means....its a local issue and one actually highlighted by a number of reports on the town!

.....a bigger company would have more success....but then again....we dont have alot of them!

Local skills shortage is just one of the many issues.....

Edited by oafc0000

Like i pointed out.....thats only temp while they are studying....vast majority return home

Best chance of a new start company to get these students is to target people who grew up in Oldham and have been to uni and are looking for work.

The problem is once you've had been away to uni and lived somewhere else why would you want to go back to living in Oldham? The only reason i came back was due to family circumstances. Most of the people i went to school with either left to go travelling or left to go to uni and never came back

The problem is once you've had been away to uni and lived somewhere else why would you want to go back to living in Oldham? The only reason i came back was due to family circumstances. Most of the people i went to school with either left to go travelling or left to go to uni and never came back

Yup, thats what happens!

Im in the process of leaving the town as well...I went to Uni but had to seek my career out of the town.....finally given up on the place!

Over the last 20 years the place has just contined to nose dive....will always love the club but feel no pride for the town anymore...I live in Hollins and the area has just got worse and worse....I cant go sleep at night now without listening to someone having a fight outside or a car window going through.....just had enough and I wont subject my kids to it.....It was hard when I was a kid....its even harder now....

Edited by oafc0000

It’s all about perceptions, which is what that study was based on. Many of the graduates from Manchester and every other University will end up living in worse places than a lot of Royton, Chadderton, Saddleworth, Lees etc etc. I certainly have done in the past. Granted there is Shaw, but for every unfortunate who ends up living there there will be some will be lucky enough to realise that there are some very nice places over in Rochdale, if you are considered posh enough to be let in :disguise: . Most people who move away for a job end up with a fair commute to work, there is no shortage of nice places that you could drive in from. It’s the image of Northern post-industrial squalor that is the problem, not the reality.