Cup Draw

Cracking tie. One of the very few teams I didnt mind us getting from the Championship. Looking at the other ties local sides have got, we've been quite fortunate we havent got a long journey. Both City and Stockport have to travel a fair old way on a tuesday/wednesday night. Least it's not another West Ham/Palace job, for us.

The Dingles away. Should see a following similar to that which went to Derby and Leeds, with ease.

Should expect Burnley to reduce admission to get there own lot in.

Definately a winnable game.

It's been a while. Rochdale fans are extremely jealous. The dingles is the one side they wanted out of the entire lot.

CHIM CHIMMINY CHIM CHIMMINY...........

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Guest sheridans_world
Come again?

I know we were seeded but we were ALWAYS going to be away!? Is that right?

There was a pre-lim draw that took place, that decided where the unseeded teams were going to be playing (home or away)

When it came to the main draw, we knew we would be away, it was just a question of where.

Got off fairly well drawing Burnley. As i said, was dreading Plymouth away.

My favourite song for the Burnley game will be the one Barsteward Rovers (and I think Blackpool sing to them) to the tune of The Adams Family:

"Yer daddy is yer brother

yer sister is yer mother

you all look like each other

the Burnley family

dddd dddd dddd INBREDS!"

Went with my Burnley fan mate to the last derby they had with Barstewards and they sung it to Burnley loads during the game. I couldn't stop laughing and the Burnley fans had no answer to it :lol:

Edited by ghostofcecere

ahh ok.

So we were always unseeded - that I could accept, but I thought we were also always stuck away. I didn't know there was an extra draw in the middle to decide home / away.

I assume half the seeded are home and half away? Or is this some clever FA thing to get more home games for the big teams?

Guest sheridans_world
ahh ok.

So we were always unseeded - that I could accept, but I thought we were also always stuck away. I didn't know there was an extra draw in the middle to decide home / away.

I assume half the seeded are home and half away? Or is this some clever FA thing to get more home games for the big teams?

Looked like quite an even mix between unseeded as to who was home and who was away to be honest. Wouldnt like to say it was a 50/50 split for sure but must have been close.

Just to add my Bristol based opinion...(!!)

Irrespective of the location (that has no bearing on where I live - I will travel anywhere...!!), for me, this is an awful Draw, a mid level championship team away is exactly the type of draw you want to avoid... a team where we wont get much money from, and in theory... should lose to...

Say we batter Carlisle and Brizzle etc... and then lose dissapontingly to the dingles, could have the affect of a wolves on the morale.... and before anyone says, I'm not being defeatist... just realistic!

On the other hand, we could beat them, if we get sufficiently up for it and they have an off day... but it just strikes me as an utterly uninspiring tie... for me it is not even a derby, couldnt care less about em....

Terrible draw... for me you want a rubbish team at home or a Prem team away.... a champ team away (whoever it is...) is bobbins... exactly what i thought when we got wolves last season...

Guest sheridans_world
Just.....we got wolves last season...

While i agree with your setiments and the idea of facing a tough championship side i think its a good test.

No need to hope a team has an off day. This season i expect playoffs at worst, this game will be a good test at a higher level. If we play well and beat them then we know we can handle a mediocre championship team. This will also make us more confident in the FA cup come January if we get drawn against a championship team.

If we loose, Shez will know where he needs to look at, it will be a good test of the team. We beat Sheffield Wednesday, they had most of their first team on the pitch that night, kick on and beat an average Burnley side.

utterly uninspiring tie

Got to agree there. As the teams were being drawn the bad ones were coming out, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Cardiff, West Ham. All the trips that are a fair distance on a midweek. I thought this is it, we'll get a good tie here. Then out came Burnley.

Could have been better, could have been a lot worse. It's close enough and more than winnable but the cash from a big tie would have covered some serious cash we lost out on this summer.

Got to agree there. As the teams were being drawn the bad ones were coming out, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Cardiff, West Ham. All the trips that are a fair distance on a midweek. I thought this is it, we'll get a good tie here. Then out came Burnley.

Could have been better, could have been a lot worse. It's close enough and more than winnable but the cash from a big tie would have covered some serious cash we lost out on this summer.

Think it' a crap draw myself, when you bear in mind the teams that were still left in the pot at the time, such as Newcastle, Citeh Middlesbrough etc.... graveyard of a ground for Latics, populated by neanderthals. :stretcher::violent111: Also it gives us at least 3 consecutive away games (4 if Forest goes ahead), not good on the old purse strings so early in the season. Think'll I'll bin Hartlepool and go to Accy and the Dingles.

Edited by oafcprozac

I seem to be the only one who is happy with this draw. It's a local derby so we should take about a thousand up there and i reckon we've got a good chance of winning up there.

It's only the carling cup and although we could do with a decent cup run this season, i'd much prefer it in the FA Cup. If you take Wycombe from last season, alot of people tipped them to go up but they fell away and you could argue that getting to the semi's in the carling cup took some of the emphasis of getting out of League 2.

I for one am happy with the draw as it's a local derby and we all get the chance to give the Burnley fans some grief. Bring it on i say.

If we win, we win, if we don't...balls to it, it's ony the Carling cup.

:rolleyes:

Burnley will probably bring Andy Payton out of retirement for this one.. somehow he'd probably still manage to score!

Who was the other one that always used to score against us, was he called Cooke or something, i used to hate them both, i dont think they ever played against us without scoring!!

I think its a pretty good draw, a local away game against a team we haven't played in a while. plus my best mate is a Burnley fan so we best win otherwise the drive home will be awful!!

I seem to be the only one who is happy with this draw. It's a local derby so we should take about a thousand up there and i reckon we've got a good chance of winning up there.

:rolleyes:

I greet this draw with the same level of optimism and excitement of drawing Port Vale or Notts County away.... the fact we should win at these teams has absolutely no bearing on the outcome...

Full Draw

Plymouth v Doncaster
Southend v Watford
Nottingham Forest v Leicester
Wigan v Hull
Birmingham v Hereford
Carlisle v Coventry
Bristol Rovers v West Ham
Derby County v Blackpool
Rochdale v Norwich City
Portsmouth v Leeds
Cardiff v Leyton Orient
MK Dons v Sheffield Utd
Burnley v Oldham
Swansea v Reading
Peterborough v West Brom
Shrewsbury v Fulham
Wolves v Morecambe
Middlesbrough v Northampton
Sheffield Wed v Hartlepool
Luton v Sunderland
Wrexham v Aston Villa
Charlton v Stockport
Newcastle v Barnsley
Bristol City v Manchester City

Teams in bold are teams IMO will play on sky !!