The Tranmere Match

boboafc

I know alot of people dont rate him, but I thought the goal aside. He did rather well when he came on.

Nice to see him finally score in a game other than the FA Cup. Finally! :)

Maybe we already had adequate back up on the bench? Hopefully it'll boost his confidence a bit now, and he'll go from strength to strength.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were those who seem so eager to criticise Wellens actually at the game today?

If so, did they have a decent view of the incident?

The sending off was an absolute travesty - Wellens did very little wrong, barely deserving of a free kick let alone a red card. I can only imagine that from his angle the ref thought Wellens had stamped on their player. Hopefully there's decent video coverage from the NSM stand side - which will clearly show he did nothing of the kind.

Should be appealed and rescinded, but I won't hold my breath.

Sat in the Chaddy I didn't seen the incident - only the inocuous foul that preceded it. However it does seem to have polarised opinion between Latics fans. I fear that given the normal biaised nature of fans, the fact that some Oldham fans think it was deserved probably means it was - and those that don't, didn't see what they did.

Also didn't see much protest from Latics players about the decision - even Wellens.

True enough there was little protest - maybe they were just in shock....

I sit pretty central in the Lookers Upper, so had almost a perfect view. I can see how it would look bad from the opposite side (where the ref was) but I'm convinced there was precious little contact, and even less intent. The only reason Wellens appeared to move his foot at all violently was cos the Tranny player had hold of it!

Edited by garcon

Tranmere's defence were good today, they had to be because their midfield and attack were nowhere! There was a few around me that noticed that the Tranmere players just looked knackered after only half an hour.

Ronnie had a plan B today, it was when he took Shuker off and decided that we were too good for them and played for a point from then on. He even tried to switch Ellison and Shuker to opposite wings but Eardley and the player Ronnie released Lomax were in full control.

Was a pathetic performance from them going forward and they got their just rewards at the end. Apart from that shot right near the end did they actually have a shot?

It doesn't help when teams defend in numbers, hard to play a passing game when they're closing us down all the time. We're gonna see it a lot between now and the end of the season, we're still grinding out the results though and apart from the Bristol game we have easily been the better team.

So long as we keep it tight at the back like we have done over the season eventually the opposition's concentration will fade and we'll get our chances to score just like today and Scunthorpe before.

Did he even touch it? If it boosts his confidence then give it to him. He seemed more up for it after we scored. Think his shot just before the goal was probably the best thing he's done in the first team yet. He still doesn't challenge all the time in the air though and doesn't seem like he's giving his all to the cause like the other players are.

Did anybody else see the furore, and the "open-to-all-to-view" dramatic resignation of the steward in the "reception area" in between the gents toilets and the pie counter?

I know it was something to do with the one-in-and-one-out Health and Saftey regs that have been enforced, but it was a female steward with a clicker when I barged past her for my half time pint. However on my way back up, the girl had disappeared and there were 2 male stewards (1 was probably a supervisor) and a couple of regular Joes trying to put their point across.

I did not witness the "resignation" but I had it second hand from one of our back row army (Cheers Loz).

About the rule - did I miss a meeting somewhere along the line? I don't remember a handout or a flyer being distibuted mentioning this...

What happens if (and this happened yesterday - I think it was Walshy actually but I'm not sure) you've already paid your pint on for half time before the match kicks off, but actually at half time you come down bang on the whistle, and go to the toilet. When you emerge from the gents the quota has been filled, and you have to wait there like a right lemon for God knows how long until there's a "vacancy". Not been thought through this I reckon - unless of course I did mis a meeting...

Yesterday there were kids trying to get to the Boundary Blues lounge being crushed. That cannot be right, how safe is that. Yet when the door was actually opened, there was hardly a soul in the bar or waiting for food. Might as well have not bothered with new caterers if no one can get in to buy anything.

It happened against Wolves too and someone managed to unhook the right side door. This time when that approach was tried the steward held the door back. This until people decided to barge her out of the way. Definitely something that needs to be addressed before Tuesday night.

I think his biggest weakness is still the fact that the ball just doesn't stick with him. His first touch is one of the worst in the side and that is concerning.

He also still makes rash decisions. Like yesterday at 1-0 up in injury time he ran clear to the right of the box, and with only one man to aim at he hoofed it into the box, instead of just taking it to the corner as Liddle was coming up on the outside, and basically allowing us to see the game out down their end. Instead they broke and Les 'glue hands' Pogliacomi had to make a save!

It also creates a bottleneck of fans at the bottom of the stairs next to the gents, no-one can move...

Exactly. You could see how worried the two stewards at the bottom were getting as they opened the exit doors at the bottom of the stairs so people had more room.

Shocking situation.

1. Hall didn't touch it. He merely distracted Ward in the Tranny goal who let the hoofed ball drop through is hands and into the net.

2. Wellens deffo deserved the red. He kicked the Tranny player on the ground who did NOT have hold of Richie's leg when the kick went in. He DID grab hold of it after the 1st kick, presumably to prevent another one coming in. Richie - sometimes, yer a knob. A great player, but a knob.

I think his biggest weakness is still the fact that the ball just doesn't stick with him. His first touch is one of the worst in the side and that is concerning.

He also still makes rash decisions. Like yesterday at 1-0 up in injury time he ran clear to the right of the box, and with only one man to aim at he hoofed it into the box, instead of just taking it to the corner as Liddle was coming up on the outside, and basically allowing us to see the game out down their end. Instead they broke and Les 'glue hands' Pogliacomi had to make a save!

Ya mean that Chris is a bit of a dunderhead?! :P

Yep agree with that assessment of the sending off. Yesterday I didn't see the initial kick he made. Just their player holding his leg and RW trying to free himself.

Silly boy, Richie. Another minute and the game was over. I defended him on JK when he was getting stick after the Bristol game but he let himself, the team and the supporters down with that.

1. Hall didn't touch it. He merely distracted Ward in the Tranny goal who let the hoofed ball drop through is hands and into the net.

2. Wellens deffo deserved the red. He kicked the Tranny player on the ground who did NOT have hold of Richie's leg when the kick went in. He DID grab hold of it after the 1st kick, presumably to prevent another one coming in. Richie - sometimes, yer a knob. A great player, but a knob.

1) Watched it in slo-motion on Sky+ a number of times. After 'keeper fumbles it might, just might, clip Halls back as its drops down and in to the net. Impossible to be certain from the angle, but a forward will defenitely claim it did. If it boosts his confidence then all the better.

2) Spot on. Will be 3 games, it may cost us badly. Cannot remember any agro between the players prior to that, and the Rovers player didn't do anything in that incident to warrant the retaliation.

Chris Hall put himself about a bit, ran in odd directions sometimes - but not bad considering the end result. Rocky did okay too - but for my money Lomax did a sterling job to keep them quiet yesterday. Charlton's got the experience and It showed yesterday too, but I must admit I gave out a groan when Lomax trotted on - but didn't he do well!!!

So well played young man you did us proud yesterday...

:)

Chris Hall put himself about a bit, ran in odd directions sometimes - but not bad considering the end result. Rocky did okay too - but for my money Lomax did a sterling job to keep them quiet yesterday. Charlton's got the experience and It showed yesterday too, but I must admit I gave out a groan when Lomax trotted on - but didn't he do well!!!

So well played young man you did us proud yesterday...

:)

I can't remember him letting us down in the past. Fair enough he has been released and re-signed but when he has played he's done well for us. A good player to have in a squad our size. Provides good cover for both full backs.