Lee Hughes - Parole Day?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:applause1:

No :censored: Sherlock!

Noone was sure it would defo go through due to the parole side of it as that can change!

Shez has just been on the phone to the sky sports studio and said he'd be joining the squad next week and they'll be a press conference next week to introduce him!

He isnt an Oldham player yet, Shez has had no need to comment.

Shez has just been on Sky Sports News. He was pretty evasive and kept saying "more will be said at next week's Press Conference".

He is definitely a Latics player though. All that was arranged while he was inside and now he has got parole, he's a Latics player.

According to Shez, Hughes will not be at BP until next week.

3 shows/phone-ins on talkSPORT devoted to the subject when it was first announced, shows on 5live, club officials coming across poorly when interviewed, national newspapers, add to that the negative press when he first turns up for training, gets his first red card (how will that effect his parole conditions if he's sent of for violet conduct?), scores his first goal.

Shez has done well to stay reasonably quiet on Hughes.

Who cares what a few narrow minded people think? The media will try to make a story out of anything so it's no surprise they did here. Hughes could turn out to be a flop but he could also prove to be a fantastic signing, i hope its the latter. I'm sure the club were prepared for the negative publicity they will be getting for a few weeks.

That is an intereting point about if he gets sent off for violent conduct though.

The people writing all these articles and talking rubbish on talk sport about how he should never be able to play football again and garbage like that should really take a good look at who has played for our national team for some of the top teams in the premiership, there have been several criminals both past and present, i mean it wasn't so long ago various newspapers were calling for Woodgate to be re-called to the england squad, wasn't he convicted of a racially provocated assault not long ago? or something like that anyway, and Tony Adams was convicted for something too i think (could be wrong though) and he went on to become one of Englands best ever centre halfs and captained his country.

It's time to let everyone involved try to get on with their lives - both the victims and their familys and Lee Hughes and his family - and stop dragging up the same story over and over again

I'll give you a more likely scenario, he comes in, disrupts the team spirit giving it the big 'I AM'. isn't up to playing in the league yet pressure from above forces Shez to involve him (can't be seen to be a duff move now can it?), he doesn't score many goals gets wound up by opposing fans and players, gets sent off and doesn't see past Christmas.

Not such a good move now is it?

I'll give you a more likely scenario, he comes in, disrupts the team spirit giving it the big 'I AM'. isn't up to playing in the league yet pressure from above forces Shez to involve him (can't be seen to be a duff move now can it?), he doesn't score many goals gets wound up by opposing fans and players, gets sent off and doesn't see past Christmas.

Coupled with that we don't get planning permission for the ground, TTA leave and Shez goes to Wednesday. We're doomed. Lets quit now :wink:

Who cares what a few narrow minded people think? The media will try to make a story out of anything so it's no surprise they did here. Hughes could turn out to be a flop but he could also prove to be a fantastic signing, i hope its the latter. I'm sure the club were prepared for the negative publicity they will be getting for a few weeks.

That is an intereting point about if he gets sent off for violent conduct though.

The people writing all these articles and talking rubbish on talk sport about how he should never be able to play football again and garbage like that should really take a good look at who has played for our national team for some of the top teams in the premiership, there have been several criminals both past and present, i mean it wasn't so long ago various newspapers were calling for Woodgate to be re-called to the england squad, wasn't he convicted of a racially provocated assault not long ago? or something like that anyway, and Tony Adams was convicted for something too i think (could be wrong though) and he went on to become one of Englands best ever centre halfs and captained his country.

It's time to let everyone involved try to get on with their lives - both the victims and their familys and Lee Hughes and his family - and stop dragging up the same story over and over again

Why are they talking rubbish, because they don't agree with you?

And Woodgate wasn't convicted of anything to do with race, it was only affray, Adams was done for drink driving and took him alot longer to turn it around.

Neither was at fault for killing someone, theres a big difference.

Guest sheridans_world

Coco, neither you nor I know how he will act in the dressing room. What we both know is that Shez will not accept that.

Answer my question, if my scenario happened, what would you say? You have avoided other questions fairly well but i will make sure this one keeps coming back to you whenever you have anything derogitory to say about Hughes. Answer it and I shall not ask it again.

Blimey, here we go again!

I also have mixed feelings about Mr Hughes playing for Latics and I haven't posted very much on the subject, but I find it easy (and this is a personal view) to disassociate what he did, with the fact he is going to be playing football for us. I am not sure if this is right, but I do. I will of course be watching him play football with a little bit more interest than others, but I this is because I genuinely want him to do well for us, and for himself. If he was an opposition player it would be the same for me, with all this negative publicity, for him to at least try and resurrect his career it must be very difficult and I wish him well. This is now about football which is why we signed him... which is now Lee Hughes future!!

And Woodgate wasn't convicted of anything to do with race, it was only affray, Adams was done for drink driving and took him alot longer to turn it around.

Many footballers have been convicted of drink driving the fact that they haven't knocked anybody down while under the influence is only good fortune, it could easily happen to anybody stupid enough to drink drive.

Until he's actually kicked a ball in anger, this is just going to go round and round in circles and get absolutely nowhere. It's all "what if's" and "but's" regarding Hughesy - matters of opinion which highly rely on alot of guessing work. It means absolutely nothing when he hasnt even done a thing at the club yet. Until he does so surely the best thing to do, regardless of your views on what his done - is to actually get behind him now he's a Latics player for the good of the club. Rather than hoping he fails, which in turn means the club will fail in some capacity. Is that what you really want?

If he is going to be abused left, right and centre from opposition fans up and down the country, then surely he's going to need all the support he cant get from the small band of Latics fans we actually have.

At least give him time to meet the players, train, get his match fitness up and see what he can do on the pitch. Afterall. There's plenty of articles which have stated that Hughes is a changed man in prison. Does he not deserve the oppurtunity of at least the chance to show he's changed his ways? or is he immediately public enemy number 1, regardless of what he does at Latics in the next month, year, or however long he's actually here.

Adams could quite easily have killed someone if was done for drink driving he was lucky not to have done if thats the case and same with Woodgate he beat him up, one more punch or one more kick and who knows what could have happened to the victim.

No not rubbish because they don't agree with me but most of the people complaining about him being released and able to play football do not know the facts. I don't mean the journalists but the general public. Many seem to think he got an easy ride and has been freed early because of his profession, this isn't true. They also think he will be getting paid loads of money - he wont. What i do find most puzzling is that some parts of the media keep mentioning how the family must feel with him being in the news again, the only reason he is in the news is because the media are making a big deal out of it. Playing for a third division club does not get you in the national press week in week out, if he scores a goal then he will get a mention in some sunday newspapers in the two line review of the game that most papers include.

Adam crashed into a wall when pissed, Hughes crashed into a car. They did the same thing, one was more fortunate with the outcome, you can't be consistant and defend one but not the other. Would you have refused to have Donkey in our side if he'd been released by Arsenal after his sentence? There are a few jerky knees out there. Let's try to remember that it was no part of Hughes' intent to kill, I dare say that a fair few of us on here have done something stupid at one time or another that could have had serious consequences if things had worked out differently. We don't all have lynch mobs trying to ruin our lives for it after the justice system has run it's course.

It’s a moral quagmire and the debate could go on all year. Despite that, I wish him luck and am intrigued as to whether he’ll find form again.

Whatever happens, one thing does bother me about that press release on the bbc website.

Why the hell hasn’t that person received compensation from the incident?!

Addressing both Woodgate and Caveney, the trial judge said: "Five young students were caused sheer terror as they were pursued through the streets running for their lives.

"By joining in that chase you were terrifying both them and other law-abiding members of the community."

Woodgate with premeditation went looking for trouble.. maybe it was racial maybe it wasnt !! its still against the Law.

Adams was licky that day when he gpot behind the whell and hit that wall, If someone was coming out of that house that day !!!

Thats the diference, but this is old ground ! Hughes had no premeditation to kill or harm anyone when he got behind the wheel he was just stupid.

I've done many a stupid thing, I dare say there are a few out there who have also !!

Whatever happens, one thing does bother me about that press release on the bbc website.

Why the hell hasn’t that person received compensation from the incident?!

Welcome to this country, our compensations board is very poor and the wheels of justice works very slowly, I know it took

15 years for my situation to be resolved !!!

Woodgate with premeditation went looking for trouble.. maybe it was racial maybe it wasnt !! its still against the Law.

Adams was licky that day when he gpot behind the whell and hit that wall, If someone was coming out of that house that day !!!

Thats the diference, but this is old ground !

Woodgate was indeed lucky after that incident, but not half as lucky as another person who was on the scene. Both have had several jobs since. Duncan Ferguson did time for assault, and that actually happened in the course of his job, which he was nevertheless allowed to continue with when he got out. That it's mostly Coventry fans who are up in arms about it shows the truth that it is a football thing rather than a purely moral one. That being the case I am taking the side of Lee Hughes the footballer, because he plays for my club.

That being the case I am taking the side of Lee Hughes the footballer, because he plays for my club.

I'm taking the side of Lee Hughes the man, because it's been decided that when you've served your time in prison, you come out and get on with your life as best you can. It's also been decided that the family of the victims or the victims of a crime do not get to decide the punishment. By the way, those things were decided a long long time ago, because the alternatives were barbaric.

I sympathise with the family of the victim and the man who still suffers from his injuries, but there is a limit. They cannot be allowed to decide, by way of an over-sentimental plea, to decide the fate of someone who has suffered a legal and moral sanction and who wishes to come out the other side and get on with his life.

Also, I take issue with Mr. Frisby for saying that he expects Hughes to re-offend. No one knows whether he will do so, least of all Mr. Frisby.

Lastly, am I alone in having a slightly cynical response to the final sentence of Mr. Frisby's comments on the BBC website?

"I have yet to receive any compensation for what has happened."

All this about what Tony Adams did.....people making it out that Lee Hughes was, as if in some way "unlucky" to have killed someone by his actions. Get a grip!!! And that's not even the worst bit about what he did.....it's the cowardly running away and letting a man die! He doesn't deserve a 2nd chance....he never gave them in that car one.

Hughes will play for us....sad to say it. I'll cheer on Oldham Athletic, but whatever he does do for us, it'll be that Oldham Athletic have scored rather than Lee Hughes. I personally hope Ricketts, Davies and Smalley keep him out of the side!

All this about what Tony Adams did.....people making it out that Lee Hughes was, as if in some way "unlucky" to have killed someone by his actions. Get a grip!!! And that's not even the worst bit about what he did.....it's the cowardly running away and letting a man die! He doesn't deserve a 2nd chance....he never gave them in that car one.

Hughes will play for us....sad to say it. I'll cheer on Oldham Athletic, but whatever he does do for us, it'll be that Oldham Athletic have scored rather than Lee Hughes. I personally hope Ricketts, Davies and Smalley keep him out of the side!

Hughes wasn't unlucky, he put himself in the position where he might lose control of his car. Just like Adams. When you lose control of a car, it can hit anything. Adams was lucky in that he hit a wall, he could just as well have hit a whole class full of schoolkids. Adams captained England, yet you want to ban Hughes from 3rd division football. The comparison is perfectly valid. Why the witch-hunt against Hughes and not Adams? Because one plays for Oldham?