Lee Hughes - Parole Day?

Where do you draw the line Coco?

Council Tax avoider?

Cheque Fraudster?

Someone who helped an elderly relative to commit suicide?

How far will you go to see your club do well?

I'd take all of the people you suggested Coco. Each and every one of them. Christ, with I_C's rogues gallery we've nearly got an eleven there.

How do you like that? Second chances all round.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I broke the speed limit today.

Come to think of it i did it yesterday too, and the day before that and the one before that.

Put your hands up if you drove a car this week. Now put them down if you can honestly say you didnt break the speed limit.

If I had knocked down a pedestrian or hit another car and killed someone would i be more or less guilty than Lee Hughes?

The law is the law, irrelevant of the size of the crime. Those of you who sped today just got lucky, Lee Hughes and his victims didn't.

So are any of you out there with your hands in the air thinking any different about any of this?

... before we go any further what are classed as hard drugs?????? Just for my own referance mind.

I use to play goalie for my cub group ... we were the best in Rochdale one year

Cannabis, Ecstasy (which barely even exists anymore), Amphetamine, Cocaine are recreational or soft drugs (according to my own classificaiton system).

Heroin, Crack Cocaine, Crystal Meth, Temazis and most other downers are vocational or hard drugs. Again, that's according to my own classification system.

What was Hughes alleged to have taken? Cocaine is my guess, but I also think that no one knows for sure. By the law of averages and as I understand it, if he had taken cocaine before the accident, it would still have been in his system and detectable 36 hours later when he gave himself up.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

There are many reasons that I’m against the Lee Hughes signing. Like many people it’s not just the fact that his actions resulted in death and serous injury, but it’s his cowardly fleeing from the scene of the crime that ultimately resulted in him receiving a lesser sentence that really sticks in the craw.

Then there’s the fact that it will do nothing but drag the name of Latics through the mud. The media circus has hardly started yet, and our reputation amongst other fans will be at an all time low, especially as I can see some of our lot turning him into something of a cult hero to counteract the stick he will get from the opposition.

There has been a spate of traffic accidents in Oldham recently resulting in tragic deaths. If Hughes has perpetrated his crime in the town with a local person dying would we still be of the mind that everyone deserves a second chance?

Actually I’m all for giving people such a chance but in my opinion they have to earn it first, not be given it on a plate like he has. All the contact has been initiated by the club, who see goals and promotion before morals, which doesn’t rest easy with me at all.

I could go on and on, but I’ve not got time. I’m like Ross on this one, if he plays for us and scores I’ll celebrate the fact that Latics have scored, not the scorer, and I’ll be hoping that the present strike-force keep him way away from the first team. Given the fact that he’s not played for three years anyway, there’s every chance he’ll not be much cop anyhow, which makes this whole episode make even less sense.

I’m against it and really wish it wasn’t happening, but unfortunately it’s gone to far now and our good name has already been besmirched. Ultimately, if Lee Hughes is to get my respect then he’s going to have to earn it, and his actions off the field will probably determine that more than what he does on it. If he bags 20 goals but proves to be a right arse showing little remorse then he’s not welcome here as far as

I’m concerned.

He’s been given a chance that I personally wouldn’t have given him, and he’s a long way to go in making me change my mind, but in the end it’s down to him.

I broke the speed limit today.

Come to think of it i did it yesterday too, and the day before that and the one before that.

Put your hands up if you drove a car this week. Now put them down if you can honestly say you didnt break the speed limit.

If I had knocked down a pedestrian or hit another car and killed someone would i be more or less guilty than Lee Hughes?

The law is the law, irrelevant of the size of the crime. Those of you who sped today just got lucky, Lee Hughes and his victims didn't.

So are any of you out there with your hands in the air thinking any different about any of this?

did you also drive on the wrong side of a dark country lane while under the influence?

Cannabis, Ecstasy (which barely even exists anymore), Amphetamine, Cocaine are recreational or soft drugs (according to my own classificaiton system).

Heroin, Crack Cocaine, Crystal Meth, Temazis and most other downers are vocational or hard drugs. Again, that's according to my own classification system.

What was Hughes alleged to have taken? Cocaine is my guess, but I also think that no one knows for sure. By the law of averages and as I understand it, if he had taken cocaine before the accident, it would still have been in his system and detectable 36 hours later when he gave himself up.

Hasn't Hughes admitted to using cocaine during his Cov days?

There are many reasons that I’m against the Lee Hughes signing. Like many people it’s not just the fact that his actions resulted in death and serous injury, but it’s his cowardly fleeing from the scene of the crime that ultimately resulted in him receiving a lesser sentence that really sticks in the craw.

Then there’s the fact that it will do nothing but drag the name of Latics through the mud. The media circus has hardly started yet, and our reputation amongst other fans will be at an all time low, especially as I can see some of our lot turning him into something of a cult hero to counteract the stick he will get from the opposition.

There has been a spate of traffic accidents in Oldham recently resulting in tragic deaths. If Hughes has perpetrated his crime in the town with a local person dying would we still be of the mind that everyone deserves a second chance?

Actually I’m all for giving people such a chance but in my opinion they have to earn it first, not be given it on a plate like he has. All the contact has been initiated by the club, who see goals and promotion before morals, which doesn’t rest easy with me at all.

I could go on and on, but I’ve not got time. I’m like Ross on this one, if he plays for us and scores I’ll celebrate the fact that Latics have scored, not the scorer, and I’ll be hoping that the present strike-force keep him way away from the first team. Given the fact that he’s not played for three years anyway, there’s every chance he’ll not be much cop anyhow, which makes this whole episode make even less sense.

I’m against it and really wish it wasn’t happening, but unfortunately it’s gone to far now and our good name has already been besmirched. Ultimately, if Lee Hughes is to get my respect then he’s going to have to earn it, and his actions off the field will probably determine that more than what he does on it. If he bags 20 goals but proves to be a right arse showing little remorse then he’s not welcome here as far as

I’m concerned.

He’s been given a chance that I personally wouldn’t have given him, and he’s a long way to go in making me change my mind, but in the end it’s down to him.

Perhaps all the people who are saying he shouldn't be given a second chance should wait and see what the club and Hughes have planned by way of community/charitable work before they start to judge him. Maybe the club hasn't put itself in the line of fire without thinking about how positively this could reflect on the club in the long term, particularly if they get the off the field stuff right. If Hughes can persuade one solitary young kid that what he did was spectacularly stupid and that he has been spectacularly lucky to get a second chance, then maybe all this media circus stuff will have been worth it.

Coconut boy, why don't you go and support another team if you're so bothered about a players history, i hear mossley are in need of a few more fans. Paul Edwards was involved in an armed robbery during his time at swindon, Craig Davies was spared jail for assault if i am correct yet you do not get your knickers in a twist about either of those, only lee hughes.

Edited by Lordy

did you also drive on the wrong side of a dark country lane while under the influence?

I Don't think he will play until November if at all

I have read these threads for a`while now No one really knows how any one will feel about a second chance until it happens to a member of their family

I am sorry to say i lost my parents in the same way

I really wished we hadn't signed him however will celebrate the goal not the scorer if he ever scores

Like it matters? The point being made is that he/she (blue jazzer) was still breaking the law. Just like Adams was. Adams who incidentally added that he was too pissed to even walk away from the accident.

Ultimately, if Lee Hughes is to get my respect then he’s going to have to earn it, and his actions off the field will probably determine that more than what he does on it. If he bags 20 goals but proves to be a right arse showing little remorse then he’s not welcome here as far as I’m concerned.

Exactly the point I was making before Steve. Lee Hughes will earn our respect more by his behaviour off the pitch than anything he is likely to do on it. We have to give him that opportunity first before we judge him further. Its now upto him.

Maybe we can judge him in 1 or 2 months if he cocks up. Hold our hands up and say it was a poor decision, there again in 12/18 months we may well be able to turn round and say he has earned our respect for the way he has behaved since he was released.

Only time will tell and the justice system we have in this country says that he is entitled to that time to show that he has changed. If he doesn't he will in all likelyhood return to prison.

Coconut boy, why don't you go and support another team if you're so bothered about a players history, i hear mossley are in need of a few more fans. Paul Edwards was involved in an armed robbery during his time at swindon, Craig Davies was spared jail for assault if i am correct yet you do not get your knickers in a twist about either of those, only lee hughes.

Ah, the great 'why don't you go and support another team' comeback, well done.

BTW, neither players killed.

Not under the influence no but if its dark who's to say which side of a country lane bearing no road markings is the right or wrong side?

showing little remorse then he’s not welcome here

What should he do? Stand in the middle of the pitch on Saturdau with a loudhailer and speech? He's stuck any way he goes, if he plays well people will accuse him of getting back to business like nothing happened and he doesnt care! If he's crap he doesn't care and isn't seizing his 2nd chance!

I really cant condone him for running off but an accident is an accident in my book. I've shovelled too many people up from RTA's to think that everyone gets behind the wheel with the intention of killing someone.

Like it matters? The point being made is that he/she (blue jazzer) was still breaking the law. Just like Adams was. Adams who incidentally added that he was too pissed to even walk away from the accident.

I agree, Coco. Fatefully, Hughes drove down a country lane, but as someone else said, Oldham has its share of road traffic deaths (the rarely wrong recently ran a front page on it) and not so many country lanes. Country lane, dual carriageway, motorway, school car park: it makes absolutely no odds. Loads of people have driven under the influence - especially the day after, when people wrongly think that they are in the clear - but have never hurt so much as a midge.

Barry Owen is going to be speaking about Lee Hughes on the Alan Brazil Breakfast Show on TalkSport Radio on Tuesday morning 6.00am - 10.00am.

No doubt John Gaunt (Coventry fan) will then continue at 10.00am with both barrels blazing!

I really really hope that Bazza drops this "we're not getting into the morality of it" line and basically challenges people to say why Hughes and people like him should not have a second chance.

Gaunty js off tomorrow, Terry Christian is presenting.

Let's hope Barry doesn't make a fool of himself again.

To your mind anyone who has an opinion on this issue that doesn't agree entirely with yours is making a fool of himself.

I've heard what Barry Owen has had to say on this matter and at no point feel that he has made a fool of himself or the club at any point.

You have your opinion other people have their's, that doesn't make everyone who disagree's with you wrong.