Lee Hughes - Parole Day?

I think if you read all the threads that ever have been on this subject (and there's been a few) the same people are anti Hughes signing and playing full stop, as are those that it still sits a little uncomfortable and likewise those that believe Hughes should now take his RIGHTFUL place in society including playing for Latics.

The other point that stands out for me, the posters that have expressed that a simular incident resulting in the loss of a family member have all indicated the Lee Hughes should now having served his sentence be allowed to try to continue his life and that of his family (and don't ask me to show you who, just trust me ok). The fact he was a footballer prior means that to continue is life then it's acceptable he returns to football now.

If I was pushed to explain why members of the victims family tend to hold these views I can only offer mine. I am not saying their opinion is more valid then the rest, however when the press start their witch hunt for a moral high ground story, thats all it is and certainly not out of the victims families interest. If Lee Hughes isn't allowed to rejoin society then the victims (the dead man) life will appear forever died in vain. What I mean by that is you have to believe that all the good in him that was taken away was so great, that it out shadowed the bad that took him. I know what I mean and I bet the others do too.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannabis, Ecstasy (which barely even exists anymore), Amphetamine, Cocaine are recreational or soft drugs (according to my own classificaiton system).

Heroin, Crack Cocaine, Crystal Meth, Temazis and most other downers are vocational or hard drugs. Again, that's according to my own classification system.

I think it's a show of the level of you miscreants that I have to be the one to ask...

What's the difference between cocaine and crack cocaine? :shy:

I think it's a show of the level of you miscreants that I have to be the one to ask...

What's the difference between cocaine and crack cocaine? :shy:

NIDA InfoFacts: Crack and Cocaine

Cocaine is a powerfully addictive stimulant drug. The powdered, hydrochloride salt form of cocaine can be snorted or dissolved in water and injected. Crack is cocaine that has not been neutralized by an acid to make the hydrochloride salt. This form of cocaine comes in a rock crystal that can be heated and its vapors smoked. The term "crack" refers to the crackling sound heard when it is heated.*

Regardless of how cocaine is used or how frequently, a user can experience acute cardiovascular or cerebrovascular emergencies, such as a heart attack or stroke, which could result in sudden death. Cocaine-related deaths are often a result of cardiac arrest or seizure followed by respiratory arrest.

To your mind anyone who has an opinion on this issue that doesn't agree entirely with yours is making a fool of himself.

I've heard what Barry Owen has had to say on this matter and at no point feel that he has made a fool of himself or the club at any point.

You have your opinion other people have their's, that doesn't make everyone who disagree's with you wrong.

I didn't hear Owen this morning, but in previous interviewed he's said he didn't want to talk about the morals of the signing, when the fact is that is what this whole argument is about.

Guest sheridans_world
I've just heard a little from Owen on talkSPORT news headlines, I would like to see our stewards try and kick out people who abuse Hughes, will that include players?

With the players, Somehow i think all that will be sorted out behind the scenes.

As for fans, this will all be forgotten by the time he has played 10 games. This topic may rear its ugly head again from time to time but i doubt there will be any long term problems. Thats the great thing about human nature, we hate change but once its happened we get used to it very quickly...

The Judge at his case said:

"I realise that your football career is at an end but remember that Douglas Graham's life is at an end.

"In running away you showed a callous disregard for others. I am quite satisfied that in running away you were thinking only of yourself and you were attempting to avoid the legal consequences of driving having consumed alcohol.

"You clearly believed that if you had been breathalysed, then you would have been over the limit."

Even the judge didn't think a club would have such a lack of morals to take someone like him on.

With the players, Somehow i think all that will be sorted out behind the scenes.

As for fans, this will all be forgotten by the time he has played 10 games. This topic may rear its ugly head again from time to time but i doubt there will be any long term problems. Thats the great thing about human nature, we hate change but once its happened we get used to it very quickly...

I think Coco meant the opposition rather than our own lot. That would be bad if our own lads were giving him stick on the field as well as the other side!

Put your hands up if you drove a car this week. Now put them down if you can honestly say you didnt break the speed limit.

Guilty as charged, although I reduce the risk of an accident by not drinking large amounts of alcohol before I get my ass in the driving seat.

We have to conclude that justice has been done here, in whatever form it took. It might not be the the sentence everybody wanted, but he was guilty and Hughes has served his time. Now the system has seen it fit to release him and allow him to resume his life, whilst the unfortunate victims and the families of the victims cannot. There is an imbalance, of course there is, but it cannot be rectified. No matter what sentence you throw at him there will be no equilibrium. But I think part of the process is for him to step out onto the football field again and be the focal point of all the jeers, the abuse, the hate. He knows what to expect the next time he's in a first class starting eleven.

All the media focus, and the football fan hatred is part of the sentence - the unwritten sentence. It's not martyrdom, make no mistake - but he could've sloped off into obscurity, and took a less difficult route to live the rest of his life.

Guest sheridans_world
Yeah I meant the other side's players.

Ah ok, well i hope he has enough character to deal with it and move on. Banter happens on the football pitch, we all know this, i just hope he has the character and the strength of mind to do the one thing that will piss the opposition players off more than anything... ignore it.

Ignore it and you annoy the person trying to upset you...

Edited by sheridans_world

Ah ok, well i hope he has enough character to deal with it and move on. Banter happens on the football pitch, we all know this, i just hope he has the character and the strength of mind to do the one thing that will piss the opposition players off more than anything... ignore it.

He SHOULD have had psychological preparation for release (as well as other psychological treatment while he was in there - which presumably, if he had not engaged in, his parole board would have not been pleased with him). It's going to be very much a test of his strength of character.

Lee Hughes was set free from prison yesterday and walked straight into an £80,000-a-year contract at Oldham along with warnings that the rest of the football world may not be so forgiving.

£80,000 a year should help him with his psychological preparation

Lee Hughes was set free from prison yesterday and walked straight into an £80,000-a-year contract at Oldham along with warnings that the rest of the football world may not be so forgiving.

Yeah, cos people with money are all sorted, aren't they? Are you for real?

All the media focus, and the football fan hatred is part of the sentence - the unwritten sentence. It's not martyrdom, make no mistake - but he could've sloped off into obscurity, and took a less difficult route to live the rest of his life.

Absolutely bloody spot on Matt.

If only I'd known all these years that giving somebody lots of money was the way to sort their heads out........

Edited by maddog

He was on 11 and a half times that amount before the incident. What's your point?

There is an imbalance, of course there is, but it cannot be rectified. No matter what sentence you throw at him there will be no equilibrium. But I think part of the process is for him to step out onto the football field again and be the focal point of all the jeers, the abuse, the hate. He knows what to expect the next time he's in a first class starting eleven.

After Hughes was charged and released on bail, he was allowed to continue playing for WBA. Although the media had to lay off him at that time, because Court proceedings were pending, the opposition fans were not subjected to such gagging and there were many more of them at the Baggies' games than there will be at ours. Therefore they gave him absolute hell match after match after match, because in their eyes he was guilty as charged and he had not received any punishment at that stage. So they felt entitled to make his life on the pitch as miserable as possible.

Try to put yourself in the place of the oppostion fan, firstly when he played for WBA and secondly when he plays for Latics at some future date. If you know that you would have given him abuse, would your level of abuse have been greater when he was awaiting his appearance in Court, or now that he's been in prison and is out on parole?

When I started this thread on Monday morning, I emphasised that I was talking about the football side of Lee Hughes, rather than the bad side. I stated the facts about his football career and I did not expect the thread to develop into all the issues surrounding his crime and the moral dilemma facing the Club and us, the fans, because those issues had been dealt with previously when the proposed signing was first announced.

As things turned out the thread has been viewed 2,225 times and produced 151 replies. For those who are fed up to the teeth about the subject matter, I think you’ll agree that it has proved that fans had a need to get things off their chests and I feel it’s been good to read all sides of the issue.

I started the thread with an adapted song, so I’ll finish the same way.

Adapted from a song by Hot Chocolate:

Just to admit one mistake

That can be hard to take

I know it’s made me fall

But only fools come back for more

Being the fool I am

I figure in Oldham’s plans

Some fans’ letters went on to say

That they'd be leaving any day

So you win again, you win again

Here I stand again, the loser

Can’t defend my hit and run

My chance has just begun

I can't refuse it

But now I know that I'm the fool

Who won fans’ love to lose it all

When fans come back, you win again

And I'm not proud to say

I let a life slip away

Now I'm the one who's crying

I'm a fool there's no denying

When will my heartache end?

Will my whole life depend on fading memories

You took the game please keep the Faith!