How come we're not scoring?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 goals in 4 games.....we let 47 league goals in last year (46 games), 1 a game! Scunthorpe let in 35. We're not a million miles away at the mo defensively, as many have already stated, it's the other end we need to prioritise and get right!!

After 4 games, it's too early to make strong judgements about a defence which is still gelling and personnel are changing. Making a case based on how many goals we've scored/let in during the first 4 games is not that worthwhile.......for example, by the same token, you could argue that 6 goals in 4 games..... 1.5 goals per game is exactly equivalent to our 69 goals in 46 games from last season. So therefore we can't be too far off attacking wise. Well, I think we all know that isn't true. (Ok, I know 4 of these were only Mansfield blah blah blah.)

It's more the manner of goals we are letting in which disappoints me a bit at the moment. As I said it's too early to make strong judgements against a new team this season but I would like to see us tighten up at the back and cut the errors. There were too many in the second half of last season (by the way we let in 35 in the last 24 games), although that coincided with our worst patch and I would like to see us a lot harder to score against or make opportunities against.

I know upfront is a problem but I'm greedy - I want both sorted out. I think any team would find it difficult to finish in the top two without being defensively resolute. There aren't many teams that can be successful in a Joe Royle style. It's early days but i am already a bit concerned that we are just a bit too easy to score against / make opportunities against at the moment. How many 1-0s did Scunny get last season?

After 4 games, it's too early to make strong judgements about a defence which is still gelling and personnel are changing.

It's more the manner of goals we are letting in which disappoints me a bit at the moment.

Is this not related then??? my post was about not making strong judgements after 4 games. I was pointing out 1 goal conceded per game after only 4 shouldn't be enough to put people on panic stations!! (not for some anyway!?!?)

As for the manner of the goals conceded, we have (as mentioned before!!) a far more visible issue than that and that's shots on goal!!

I wouldn't say Mark Crossley has had his goal "peppered" in the last 3 games, teams are going to get chances and if we've only let in 46 goals come the end of the season as long as we've scored a few along the way, we won't be far off!!