Your favourite ever Latics defeat?

I know it will be hard to some people, as I like most hate losing, but has there ever been a game where you've lost but walked away satisfied?

For me it has to be the 2-1 defeat against Huddersfield in 2005, just after we sacked Brian Talbot, we were robbed by the linesman and couldn't stop singing, for some reason everytime I hear the song "Dakota" by the Steriophonics I think of that game

Guest oa_exile
has there ever been a game where you've lost but walked away satisfied?

Only ONCE of all my years watching the Latics have i ever felt like that , Littlewoods Cup final.

as I like most hate losing

A defeat ! , losing ! :mad: i am like a Bear with sore head :angry:

Totally agree Littlewoods cup final!

Yeah Littlewoods Cup Final for me too, that day was all about the acheivement of a club like us getting there rather than the result. In all honesty as Latics fans who'd ever have thought we would see our team walk out of the tunnel at a Wembley cup final. Happy days.

:ktf:

all defeats by latics :bigcry:

There's been so many! :laught16: Agree with the Littlewoods Cup Final, no matter what the result, Laticsfans after so many poor years were just pleased to actually enjoy the success of the 'pinch me season'.

My own personal favourite, was the opening Day vs Brighton in 2003, ok we lost 3-1 and only managed a lat consolation, but after the hell of that summer I celebrated Muzza's late goal like a World Cup final winner! As far as I was concerned we were down but not out and alive and kicking!

There's been so many! :laught16: Agree with the Littlewoods Cup Final, no matter what the result, Laticsfans after so many poor years were just pleased to actually enjoy the success of the 'pinch me season'.

My own personal favourite, was the opening Day vs Brighton in 2003, ok we lost 3-1 and only managed a lat consolation, but after the hell of that summer I celebrated Muzza's late goal like a World Cup final winner! As far as I was concerned we were down but not out and alive and kicking!

have to say, i agree with this.... every defeat that season was simply outweighed by the fact i was so thankful to even see a team on the pitch....

Notts County, away, during the championship winning season.

5,000 Latics fans, some in fancy dress, celebrating winning promotion the week before. In all honesty it was a meaningless match, which was underlined by the awful performance on the pitch!

However, we would have all been denied the drama of the following week's victory over Sheffield Wednesday without it!! And who will ever forget that?!!

I know it will be hard to some people, as I like most hate losing, but has there ever been a game where you've lost but walked away satisfied?

For me it has to be the 2-1 defeat against Huddersfield in 2005, just after we sacked Brian Talbot, we were robbed by the linesman and couldn't stop singing, for some reason everytime I hear the song "Dakota" by the Steriophonics I think of that game

This topic is sick. :sick01:

It's like asking how you would be preferred to be tortured !!

Edited by Rick

Didn't we get whipped 7-1 by Cardiff back in 2002? I think that was so bad I had to laugh - so if I was forced to pick a favourite defeat that would be it.

Can't remember much about it though - must have been so painful I've blocked the details from my memory.

Thats definitely my favourite i was in shock, couldnt actually believe what i was seeing, andy gorams return was just plain comical:) was nice to sing we gonna win 8-7 and i think cheering each of our passes as if we were the ones winning 7-1 if memory serves me correct!

It's got to be the littlewoods cup final against that massive club at the time Forest, what a great day!

JOE ROYLES BLUE AND WHITE ARMY!

Ah, but what about that semi-final replay the same season against Man Ure - and Stitch's belter off the bar that beat Laighton all ends up, came down behind the line and back out. Fantastic game and proud to be a Latic. Pinch me? I still am.

:OWTB1:

I think it was Zenith data systems back then.

Wasn't many of us there that night if I remember, but I was there too....

And it was chuffin cold, and at least 4 of their goals were highly dubious, and the hadn't won a league game and it was December and they virtually doubled their goals tally for the season by scoring that 7, and didn't it actually kick start their season, and did I mention it was chuffin cold, me Dad was ok mind, Bells was acting as anti freeze he'd been at a retirement do at work all that afternoon I think, I can see him on the video clapping like a demented seal when we score!!

Edit: and the subject of this thread is bizarre any Latics defeat is an anathema, isn't it?

Edited by StipeTripe

About 83-84 season. We were doping really well and near the top o' the table. We played Sheff Utd at BP and Roger Palmer scored in first few minutes. We started shouting 'you're so $h1t it's unberlievable'. they beat us 5-1??? We all seemed to find it amusing that we started so well and give it em soo bad and in the end we were the not so good team that day, funny old game. Think after that game we went on about an 8 match losing streak including a 2-4 defeat at home to Stoke. We finally ended it by beating Wimbledon 2-1 at home. Eeeh mamories!!!

About 83-84 season. We were doping really well and near the top o' the table. We played Sheff Utd at BP and Roger Palmer scored in first few minutes. We started shouting 'you're so $h1t it's unberlievable'. they beat us 5-1??? We all seemed to find it amusing that we started so well and give it em soo bad and in the end we were the not so good team that day, funny old game. Think after that game we went on about an 8 match losing streak including a 2-4 defeat at home to Stoke. We finally ended it by beating Wimbledon 2-1 at home. Eeeh mamories!!!

Just looked it up, couldn't remember exactly but it was 85/86, and at the end of October we were second and then went on possibly the most miserable depressing run in the time I've been watching Latics, some of the types who got into abject despondancy when we get beat these days would have topped themselves I'm sure. Makes you glad we didn't have the money to sack JR :) 9 defeats and 1 draw plus losing to 4th Division Orient in the FA Cup (that frozen night was where we got to the "only way is up" point)

Read it and weep

Edited by StipeTripe

Ah, but what about that semi-final replay the same season against Man Ure - and Stitch's belter off the bar that beat Laighton all ends up, came down behind the line and back out. Fantastic game and proud to be a Latic. Pinch me? I still am.

:OWTB1:

On a point of accuracy - it was Nicky Henry's shot that went in off the bar, but was not given.

If that had counted who knows how it would have changed the fortunes of both clubs. I like to think Latics would have won the FA Cup and had a European adventure the following season. Oh yeh and old red nosed Taggart would have been sacked, leading to the demise of ManUre.

That decision not to recognise the goal was such a massive injustice that I cannot count that match as satisfying in any way, and it's one of the many reasons why I hate ManUre.