Your favourite ever Latics defeat?

Mine has to be when we lost 5-0 at Spurs. I had been telling everyone at work that we would lose by that score, even though I didn't believe it, as we had never lost that heavily in the top flight. When we arrived the bookmaker was offering 50/1 for 5-0 so I put a £1 on to put my money where my mouth was.

To collect the £50, which paid for the day out, on the way back to the car was very satisfying, even though it was traitorous to put the bet on. What did Mrs Sideburns say.........you should have put more money on!

On a point of accuracy - it was Nicky Henry's shot that went in off the bar, but was not given.

If that had counted who knows how it would have changed the fortunes of both clubs. I like to think Latics would have won the FA Cup and had a European adventure the following season. Oh yeh and old red nosed Taggart would have been sacked, leading to the demise of ManUre.

That decision not to recognise the goal was such a massive injustice that I cannot count that match as satisfying in any way, and it's one of the many reasons why I hate ManUre.

I stand corrected sir. It was indeed Mr Henry. If that had been given, I think we would have gone on to win it and appear in both finals. Europe was a distinct possibility and I remember Cloughie, bless him, advocating Latics and (I quote) their wonderful warm supporters going into Europe. I may have slightly misquoted him, but that was the gist of it.

Heady days, and they WILL come back.

Oh yes, and one of the many other reaons I hate Man Ure was Sparky's bloody equaliser in 1994.

:ktf:

Edited by Bristolatic

About 83-84 season. We were doping really well and near the top o' the table. We played Sheff Utd at BP and Roger Palmer scored in first few minutes. We started shouting 'you're so $h1t it's unberlievable'. they beat us 5-1??? We all seemed to find it amusing that we started so well and give it em soo bad and in the end we were the not so good team that day, funny old game. Think after that game we went on about an 8 match losing streak including a 2-4 defeat at home to Stoke. We finally ended it by beating Wimbledon 2-1 at home. Eeeh mamories!!!

About 83-84 season. We were doping really well and near the top o' the table. We played Sheff Utd at BP and Roger Palmer scored in first few minutes. We started shouting 'you're so $h1t it's unberlievable'. they beat us 5-1??? We all seemed to find it amusing that we started so well and give it em soo bad and in the end we were the not so good team that day, funny old game. Think after that game we went on about an 8 match losing streak including a 2-4 defeat at home to Stoke. We finally ended it by beating Wimbledon 2-1 at home. Eeeh mamories!!!

Remember that cup defeat, Tony Henry had a big girly poo poo about being dropped previously so he was dropped.

Quality link matey, how on eath did you get that? Even though this run knackered us up, we didnt finish THAT bad did we?

Only 20 od dyears ago, remeber it like it were 20 odd years ago!!

My favourite Latics defeat was in 1975 away to Aston Villa when we lost 5-0.

Villa had in their ranks that day a young Brian Little,he finished up scoring a

hat trick that day but every time he touched the ball he was awesome, it is

without dought the finest individual performance I have personally witnessed

live.We were absolutely leathered that day but the memory will last forever.

My favourite Latics defeat was in 1975 away to Aston Villa when we lost 5-0.

Villa had in their ranks that day a young Brian Little,he finished up scoring a

hat trick that day but every time he touched the ball he was awesome, it is

without dought the finest individual performance I have personally witnessed

live.We were absolutely leathered that day but the memory will last forever.

I went to that match agree with you Brian Little was different class

Favorite defeat against West Ham3-0 after we done them 6-0 in the 1st leg

Didn't we get whipped 7-1 by Cardiff back in 2002? I think that was so bad I had to laugh - so if I was forced to pick a favourite defeat that would be it.

Can't remember much about it though - must have been so painful I've blocked the details from my memory.

The worst part of that was when they scored their last goal and where singing 6-1 to the sheep shaggers! they'd even lost count of goals :-( The only match i've ever left early!!!

• 3 years later...