"You're the scout"

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BP, Lincoln's no11 looked ok, but as you say 'Jenny' looked very good. Both our center halfs as well.

I would try the Latics youth team right full back in midfield as a ball winner, IMO his aggression and drive would be more suited to central midfield than the flanks - where I feel he lacks a little pace.

If you are reading this TP give him a go there to see how he shapes.

How do you become a scout ?

I did it by spotting an 18 year old amateur and wrote to a top flight club about him.

They took him on a 2 weeks trial, then signed him as a full time pro.

He later went on to play with them in Europe and is now in the England set up.

The same very week I recommended another 18 yo amateur player, who they actually turned down - he went on to become one of most dazzling wingers in the world.

They also turned down another semi pro I thought could still make the grade even at 26 years of age, because he possessed blistering pace, he went to play Premiership and International football.

This is the most frustrating thing about being a scout, you don't find many gems, so when they are turned down by the club and go on to great things with another outfit it makes you wonder if it's all worth the many many hours of standing on touchline's in the freezing cold and wet weather. It's not all as glamorous as it seems.

Another important aspect of scouting - besides individual assessments, is team assessments. i.e. tactics and the use of set plays. This believe me is really hard work, especially as sometimes players appear to take little notice of the mangers well laid plans.

As for the 5 aside and 11 aside game, it's really for the player to adapt, as in cricket some can deal with the shorter game better than the longer form of the game, some can't.

Tell us the names, oh go on..please.

As a youngster I though Danny Boshell had what it took. Od dear.

Boshell is still playing league football at Grimsby, so you can say you spotted one who made the grade.

BTW I thought Chris Baguley would make it.

I did it by spotting an 18 year old amateur and wrote to a top flight club about him.

They took him on a 2 weeks trial, then signed him as a full time pro.

He later went on to play with them in Europe and is now in the England set up.

The same very week I recommended another 18 yo amateur player, who they actually turned down - he went on to become one of most dazzling wingers in the world.

They also turned down another semi pro I thought could still make the grade even at 26 years of age, because he possessed blistering pace, he went to play Premiership and International football.

A couple of clues for you - Newcastle and Everton.

Edited by BP1960

Boshell is still playing league football at Grimsby, so you can say you spotted one who made the grade.

Bosh is very highly rated by Grimsby fans as well!

As to the players, Peter Beardsley; Chris Waddle and Ian Wright by any chance?

BP i work with a kids footie team and am also an ex referee. People say there is lots of kids not playing football. Alot of rubbish there is plenty of kids just not enough get scouted.

BP i work with a kids footie team and am also an ex referee. People say there is lots of kids not playing football. Alot of rubbish there is plenty of kids just not enough get scouted.

There are probably more kids playing football here than the whole population of Croatia, what still baffles me is why overseas kids appear to show a technically higher quality when they mature.

What are these countries coaches doing ours aren't ?

I wonder if less of their kids drop out when they reach 16, when it seems to me ours find other distractions can take over.

I have seen many promising youngsters pack the game in at this age, what a waste.

IMO many individual qualities have gone out of the English game and there is much of a muchness.

How many English players can anyone name today who are individually great dribblers, great in the air, great passers of the ball, have cannonball shooting power - not many I guess.

It may be nostalgia but I think these attributes were commonplace before the 1990s'.

I say bring individualism and flair back into coaching instead of all singing from the same hymn book.

Regards,

BP1960.

Djeny will be gone before he reaches the Latics first team.

He is one Latics they ought to keep IMO, along with Edwards.

We will see how he shapes tonight against very strong opposition in Sheffield United, I don't think he will start, but could come on in the second half.

There are probably more kids playing football here than the whole population of Croatia, what still baffles me is why overseas kids appear to show a technically higher quality when they mature.

What are these countries coaches doing ours aren't ?

I wonder if less of their kids drop out when they reach 16, when it seems to me ours find other distractions can take over.

I have seen many promising youngsters pack the game in at this age, what a waste.

IMO many individual qualities have gone out of the English game and there is much of a muchness.

How many English players can anyone name today who are individually great dribblers, great in the air, great passers of the ball, have cannonball shooting power - not many I guess.

It may be nostalgia but I think these attributes were commonplace before the 1990s'.

I say bring individualism and flair back into coaching instead of all singing from the same hymn book.

Regards,

BP1960.

In my opinion the environment hugely influences the typical strengths and weaknesses of players from different parts of the world. For example I believe our 'technical inferiority' is down as much to weather and the subsequent appalling standard of pitches our players grow up on. This is what held me back and made me give up football in the end. Proper football CAN NOT be played at 100mph on these uneven, sloped pitches where you are either knee deep in mud, or wading through grass, constantly trying to avoid scathing, cynical, downright dangerous challenges! I used to play the matches on astoturf and miss the games on grass! The players which excel here are the ones who cope best with this - ie the 'typical' english player - physical, strong, fit, good in the air blah blah blah..... The typical Brazilian/Spanish player has grown up playing at a slower pace due to heat, on dry, firm fast, pitches, (during 12 months of good weather may I add) if not on the bloody beach, where touch and technique are rewarded, as opposed to strength, speed, stamina and heart! Therefore these climates produce 'cultured' players.

In my opinion the environment hugely influences the typical strengths and weaknesses of players from different parts of the world. For example I believe our 'technical inferiority' is down as much to weather and the subsequent appalling standard of pitches our players grow up on.

I feel many countries with similar weather to ours have produced a greater percentage of players of higher technical ability, the northern regions France, Holland and Germany in particular.

I agree though about the pitches - as many who have played on Clayton playing fields in the depth of winter will know.

I have visited northern France many times and never came across playing fields in that condition, or with the lack of facilities all too common for our grass roots footballers.

It would interesting to hear Stefan Stam's view on this subject.

I hope Shez noted 17 year old Sheffield United right back Kyle Walker in the youth cup tie the other night. Tall, strong and and fast raiding, he looks an excellent prospect.

I noticed he suffered from a bad injury in the first half, but manfully battled on even though he was wincing in pain after kicking the ball most times.

He showed the determination to match his skills, which is something I always look for.

Their striker Scott Boden is worth keeping an eye on too

A trip to the African Nations Cup might not go a miss as over the summer i managed to see Malawi v Morocco and despite no big names playing for either side i felt that 3 players (usually those involved with forward play) from Malawi and a few from Morocco were good enough to play for Oldham but the best player on the pitch (the Malawi centre forward) plays in Russia and when i tried to sign him on champ/football manager (I'm not sure which) he didn't want to come but he perhaps could be good enough for a Championship team. Yet Malawi didn't qualify so i'd imagine there could be a few discoveries at the ANC this year.

... i felt that 3 players (usually those involved with forward play) from Malawi and a few from Morocco were good enough to play for Oldham but the best player on the pitch (the Malawi centre forward) plays in Russia and when i tried to sign him on champ/football manager (I'm not sure which) he didn't want to come...

I bet he would want to come now outline planning permission has been granted. :wink:

28th November: One youngster who really caught my eye in tonight's Latics youth team F.A cup 4-1 win against Lincoln City was substitute striker Djeny Bembo Leta, who showed some silky skills and scored a nicely taken goal.

He's gone in my notebook as definitely one to watch.

16th December: I see Djeny Bembo Leta is today being linked with Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool (Sunday People).

Personally, unless mega money is offered with add ons I would hang on to this gem and give the Latics fans a chance to see him play in the first team - possibly next season or the season after, his value can only increase.

Edited by BP1960

• 4 weeks later...

Sebastian Leto, Liverpool.

I have watched the 6 ft plus Argentinian midfielder a few times for Liverpool reserves and have been impressed his skill, pace, and eye for a killer pass.

For some reason hasn't had a game yet for the first team, and I am amazed no club as been in for him on loan.

Probably out of Latics reach, but you never know if you don't ask Mr Sheridan.

Leto

Tommy Fraser, Brighton

I was impressed with Brighton's 20 year old red haired midfielder Tommy Fraser, plenty of skill, plenty of determination, he's definitely one to watch for the future.

Edited by BP1960

I am amazed Latics are not at least giving trials to some very good players from non league.

Look at Gillingham for example, who have actually signed several in recent months and all are doing well.

And you only have to look at the goalscorers in the football league in week out to realise many came from that level.

I don't see as many matches now as I used to but a couple spring to mind.

Rhys Griffiths, Llanelli.

40 goals already this season for the 6f 3ins striker, including 2 against Wrexham last week.

He's in the style of Ian Rush,very quick and lethal finisher.

Paul Taylor, Vauxhall Motors.

The 20yo ex Manchester City striker is highly talented and I can see many league clubs will soon be queueing up to secure his services.

Edited by BP1960

This is a very interesting thread. As a young lad I had trials at Rochdale and even though I'am naturally left footed and have played most of life as a forward or on the wing I was put at right back for nearly all the game I played. Luckily for me the game was abandoned and a new date was set for the trial so I did get chance to play upfront were I had always played. I found it quite difficult though as nearly every ball played to me was way above my head which to a 15 year old who was only about 5ft4 at the time it was very difficult. About a week later I recieved a call from Rochdale to say that I had been unsuccessful in my trial as I was far too small. Now having got a bit older and in my midtwenties i have grown a few inches although still a little small and also gained a bit of weight. I'am now considered past it as far as ever getting a chance to play for a league club.

I find it quite silly really that many players are lost such as myself because they are judged way before they are fully grown and its not taken into account that some people mature physically slower than other people. I have since given up football as like has already been said pitches are very poor and for somebody that uses pace and first touch to have an impact on a game it is very difficult.

I find it quite silly really that many players are lost such as myself because they are judged way before they are fully grown and its not taken into account that some people mature physically slower than other people.

Some players develop late and that's why so many come back out of non league after being initially discarded by league clubs who cannot see their true potential.

I would imagine David Eyres for example was very lightweight as a kid and it took him until he was 25 years of age to make his breakthrough in to the professional game.

It is quite possible he would have remained in non league had not Blackpool took a chance on him.

Unimaginable isn't it ?

It is but thats how football is. I'am similar in height and build to Eyresy so he was probably like me as a 15/16 year old. I think another problem is playing young players out of position because a team is short in that position. This happened with a few Latics youngsters such as Adam Griffin who was a left winger that got put in at left back due to a shortage. This possibly ruined him as he was more suited to playing as a winger in my opinion due to his size and build.

I am amazed Latics are not at least giving trials to some very good players from non league.

Look at Gillingham for example, who have actually signed several in recent months and all are doing well.

And you only have to look at the goalscorers in the football league in week out to realise many came from that level.

I don't see as many matches now as I used to but a couple spring to mind.

Rhys Griffiths, Llanelli.

40 goals already this season for the 6f 3ins striker, including 2 against Wrexham last week.

He's in the style of Ian Rush,very quick and lethal finisher.

Paul Taylor, Vauxhall Motors.

The 20yo ex Manchester City striker is highly talented and I can see many league clubs will soon be queueing up to secure his services.

Do we actually send scouts to non league? I'm sure there are loads of gems out there. Look at Fitz and Wayne! Maybe we should be looking at non league players who have been in films......didn't realise one size was in the Fith element. Two filmstars from Chesham. Grauniad

Do we actually send scouts to non league? I'm sure there are loads of gems out there. Look at Fitz and Wayne! Maybe we should be looking at non league players who have been in films......didn't realise one size was in the Fith element. Two filmstars from Chesham. Grauniad

Surely Shez has a perfect non-league scout in Darren??!

"Now bruv - if you come across anyone who is decent whom you havent crocked let me know" :wink: