KYLEOAFC

Crossley or Pogs?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who to keep goal next Game?

• Crossley
    • Pogs
    • Chaddy The Owl
    • Gordon Lawton

best keeper in the league? dont think so pal. pogs makes too many mistakes to be the best keeper in the league, however on his day he is amazin but he doesnt no how to command his area, id say the best penalty saver in the league tho.

the defence are shockin and it needs to change, we all no how gregan can play and it does my headin when he plays the way he has done recently and because hes makin stupid decisions its makin the other defenders look bad and play bad.

sheridan is a fantastic manager and if people call for his head theyre stupid, its times like this i feel bad for bein an oldham fan its stupid, sheridan should and hopefully will be with us for many years.

lets face facts were a small club with no ambition and the fans are too ambitious.

if u look at our squad its too small and not good enough although on our day we could be quality once again injuries and stupid mistakes will ruin our season.

last season it took a few games to get goin and it will be the same again this season, the only thing is we won the 1st game and our stupid ambitious fans started sayin we will go up.

i think the 1st home game was 7,000 then we go to carlisle and lose go back for another home game and its dropped to 5600 or maybe abit more, and then people wonder why nobody wants to invest good money in us.

ffs get behind the team and gaffer they need us when theyre losin more than when were winnin.

I think you are a little bit harsh when you say our club has no ambition. TTA have taken some risks this season in an attempt to lift us from this division and no doubt they have spent some decent money in doing so. As for the comment about gates part of that is because it was first game and also against Swansea who brought a fair few more than Bristol. There aren't may who have lost faith just yet although the booing after the Bristol game which imo we deserved at least a point from was pretty disgraceful.

You're right the squad is a bit small but that's what you have to work with in this division. Very few have the luxury of being able to employ a squad rotation and to be fair we don't have bad cover in most areas. Like most other clubs though at times we have to rely on youth players coming in and doing a job, but fortunately ours are better than most.

As for Sheridan, he did well last season and tbh i am happy with the players he has brought tin this time round, bt I will wait a couple more seasons to decide whether he is worthy of being called a 'fantastic manager'. No time to be calling for his head though. We could easily have beaten Carlsile and Bristol on through the chances we squandered, so potentially could be sitting on 9 points. Last season we started slowly as well and yet it was one of the most enjoyable seasons in the last decade. No need to panic yet.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not subscribing to no witch-hunt or anything like that, but, I do think Pogs should be recalled. The three games I've seen from Crossley haven't made me think he's owt special. May I also add in Pogs I feel we have the best keeper in the league, and yes I am a Pogs fan.

pogs can save penaltys as well

I watched the friendly against Stoke the other night and pogs didn’t seem injured at all.

I know we lost 3-1 but again the defence let him down and pogs pulled off some world class saves and came out for crosses!

On a point of accuracy it wasn't a friendly - it was a Pontin's League game, with Les playing for the Reseves with what were mainly youth team players against a very experienced Stoke City team. I thought Les looked shaky at times, which was understandable as he is working his way back. He didn't come out for crosses any more than Crossley does. The saves he made were OK, but nowhere near world class!

I like Les - he holds the record for our highest number of clean sheets, and many times it's been Les's saves which have won us vital points. However, his confidence was shattered last season. We all know he is is own biggest critic (well... after Gregan, but he is an arrogant bully who criticises everyone to cover up for his many errors) and I don't think he will be any better than Crossley playing behind that defence. In the past when we had no goalkeeping coach, Les asked for one and he was sent two days a week to Bolton for coaching. Now we have a goalkeeping coach - Mark Crossley! Do we need a second coach to show both of them how to deal with crosses?

first and foremost we need to look at the defence!!

Bertrand is no defender and was at fault forthe first -

thompson is not up to the job - he was at fault for the second,

personally have no probs in Lomax and trotman starting tues night

As for crossley - he was not stuck to his line as people say and came off his line more than people are claiming and if pogs was in goal which i would also support it would not have been any better .

b4 having a go at crossley look at the defence

Agree with your points.

Guest sheridans_world
Which ....

Sort it John.

:angry:

You didnt go to the match.

You didnt see the display. Listening on the radio to someone elses opinion of the game does not give you your own opinion.

Edited by sheridans_world

first and foremost we need to look at the defence!!

Bertrand is no defender and was at fault forthe first -

thompson is not up to the job - he was at fault for the second,

personally have no probs in Lomax and trotman starting tues night

As for crossley - he was not stuck to his line as people say and came off his line more than people are claiming and if pogs was in goal which i would also support it would not have been any better .

b4 having a go at crossley look at the defence

Agree with everything there.

We cannot afford to be blooding a young defender no matter what his potential. Bertrand may turn out to be an England full-back in time but at the moment, he is a liability that we simply cannot afford. We need someone in there who is solid and does a defensive job. Hopefully, Sheridan is on the 'phone to Davros trying to get Giddings back.

As for Thompson, he hasn't started well at all. Trotman was superb when he came on yesterday and he has to be Gregan's partner next time. Gregan was poor yesterday which is disappointing bearing in mind his dominant display at Burnley.

The goals against are not down to Crossley.

I don't understand this witch hunt against Crossley. Except of course that with a proportion of fans there must always be a witch hunt and the victim will always be selected by random.

I would give Pogs a run out on Tuesday, but only because he needs a game and it's a low priority competition. I'd also make wholesale changes to the team to try a few alternatives. Sheridan needs to use Tuesday to try and solve some problems now - I honestly don't care if we get beat, as long as the boss learns something from the game.

As Alan Green coincidentally said on 606 last night - to a Spurs fan I think - not being at the game doesn't deny you the right to have an opinion, but it does make that opinion less valid than those of people who were.

You could trace the first two goals back to mistakes by Bertrand. He's good, but he's niaive - I'd be more than happy to play him if we were playing well, but we need to sort the defence out so I'd like to see Lomax there on Tuesday. I'm apparently one of the few that thinks Thompson will come good, but he definitely needs to improve. I'd play Trotman on Tuesday.

What really got me yesterday was the grief that Eardley and Taylor were getting. It seems that even for our own youth products the honeymoon is pretty short these days. (Granted, Taylor had a very poor game, but so did most of the team).

Edited by garcon

I'd agree with playing lomax on tuesday and I also see you're point about thompson..i dont think hes suddenly become a bad player but he needs to sort himself out quickly and find some form..again I'd agree with giving him a rest and playing trotman. was also surprised with the stick eardley in particular was getting, esp as i had him down as one of our better performers yesterday. as for taylor..well i personally wouldnt be picking him at the minute as I dont think hes doing anything like enough to earn his place..however, that still doesnt mean getting on the players backs is gonna get us anywhere

i thought thomo was ok at first. but yesterday he was dreadful beyond the highest order - my fist few postings abiut him was he not fit and i still say he isnt.

thought this was one of eardleys better games if not his best game so far this season -

fans obviously having a go at players they dont rate - but at this time think support is the only way forward now,

to people that know me i dont like allott but when he came on yesterday twice he made two good tackles which i applauded and shouted well done etc same when he made a couple of good passes, but also he lost the ball a couple of times and gave the ball away a couple of times but didnt slag him off, when he did which a lot of fans are doing at the mo to players they dont like

team on tuesday will depend on fitness

but Cross, eards, lomax, trots and gregs,

then a couple of options with midfield starting the same - you could have macca on right side with allot and jp in middle taylor on left with liddell up front with davies.

on the other hand you could bertrand on left side midfiled as that is what he is - with tats right and macca jp or allot(2 from 3 ) in middle - still with davies and lids up front?

Edited by neiladamsheadband

If Crossley learns to move a little north of his goal line once in a while i don't see any reason that he should be dropped. In my oppinion none of the goals today were his fault. I'd be the first to admit that he isn't perfect, but then look at some of pogs performances last season. So it's Crossley in for me at the moment.

You didnt go to the match.

You didnt see the display. Listening on the radio to someone elses opinion of the game does not give you your own opinion.

Whoa there big guy! I hope that post was made a little out of bitterness rather than true sentiment!

All my thoughts have been echoed further up (well, all the sane, non-moronic ones which do not refer to calling for the head of sheridan or the possibility of relegation...)... this team needs time to settle, and a little tweaking... but for gods sake... its 4 games in, and we will get there, its just shameful that so many people have this desire to attack our team when they play anything but world beating football... we have had a tough start, as have many of the "big guns" - ourselves, donny, swansea and Forst - none of us have set the world alight - but I bet you all by christmas we will all be in the top 8... think its definitely time to start saving some of these posts, just so the more relistic members of OWTB can show them back to you in a few months... when suddenly your tail has turned and you are singing the teams praises after romping to our latest victory...

I know there are problems.... for me as follows...

1. Bertrand and eardley should never be in the same back 4 - yesterday is just another example of what I have said all along...

2. Thompson, gregan and Crossley need time to learn how to play together - they all have proven quality and will come good...

3. Taylor needs confidence ... this will come...

4. We need a fully fit Allott and Kilkenny in our midfield - no suprises our worst peformances have come when Allott has dropped out (and youcant comment on yesterday - he was not fully fit) - Allott for me (and shez I think) is the heart of our team.

5. Liddell. Need I say more?

6. Injuries - Im sorry, but 4 injuries to key players has a big impact on a team like ours... and yes, Ricketts is a KEY player for us... as is Stam... anyone who says the squad should cope, or that our youngsters are good enough is just deluded... we need luck on this front...

7. CONFIDENCE - when this team start playing we will blow someone away...

8. LUCK - Smalley Puts the ball in against brizzle, the peanlty is not given at carlisle (or yesterday), we get the opener at burnley.. the list is endless.. with the same performances we could have had 7, or even 9 points, and still be in the cup... would the death mongers be circling if that was the case...? look at carlisle - they are at the top and have been pants...

Realisticly - yesterday was our first bad performance of the season - our performances for the previous games were at best good, and periodically both terirble and excellent - but at this level - good enough to win the games... anyone who thinks differently is just deluded, we are in the sodding 3rd division... not the champions league....

Right (wheatever happens at accrington) - 2 weeks off... 2 weeks to get players at 100%, 2 weeks to sort our tactics, and 2 weeks for Hughes and the rest of the team to bond... and hopefully 2 weeks to get giddings back... its 4 games in, not 40... last season shez worked miracles last season with a mediocre team, now he has got a competitive one so lets get behind him....

I cannot wait to see all you doubters proved utterly wrong....

but Cross, eards, lomax, trots and gregs,

then a couple of options with midfield starting the same - you could have macca on right side with allot and jp in middle taylor on left with liddell up front with davies.

on the other hand you could bertrand on left side midfiled as that is what he is - with tats right and macca jp or allot(2 from 3 ) in middle - still with davies and lids up front?

I'm with you up until Liddell.

Davies and Wolfie up front I say.

To me:

Crossley

Eardley Trotman Gregan Lomax

Bertrand Kalala Allott Taylor

Davies Wolfendon

(Unless we want to put sone kids in for the tinpot cup)

I'd be willing to give Wolfendon a go, but I don't think he's the answer and only because others are injured. He'd be behind a fit Allessandro and Smalley in the fight for a place for me.

Wolfie's not a lost cause, I just wouldn't want expectation to escape reality. He needs to develop his positional play, because at his size the only way he'll be effective in league football is to find that half yard in the box to put the ball away.

I'd be willing to give Wolfendon a go, but I don't think he's the answer and only because others are injured. He'd be behind a fit Allessandro and Smalley in the fight for a place for me.

Wolfie's not a lost cause, I just wouldn't want expectation to escape reality. He needs to develop his positional play, because at his size the only way he'll be effective in league football is to find that half yard in the box to put the ball away.

sorry just posted the same comments on ths post on another one - our options are very limited at the moment certainly up front as we are now down to the bare bones etc - at tleast for this game - again i would still play liddell up front b4 wolfie,

Whateva the team we really should be looking to win to get some confidence back if nothing else. Stanley bottom of the coca coca legue 2 and in all sorts of problems too - their manager is a fast talking scouse who ahas always liked to try and play football, who played the game hard but fair as a player - and scored over 250 goals in high levels of non-legue football.

but we should be looking to come away with the victory

I'm with you up until Liddell.

Davies and Wolfie up front I say.

To me:

Crossley

Eardley Trotman Gregan Lomax

Bertrand Kalala Allott Taylor

Davies Wolfendon

(Unless we want to put sone kids in for the tinpot cup)

The last thing we will be doing is playing anything but our strongest possible 11 - especially with a break next weekend... to be honest, I think this team is pretty much there... however, i would play thompson.... you have to hope against rubbish such as stanley he would have a good game and get some of his confidence back... if he doesnt, well... 2 weeks to get stam fit then!

I would also love to see Bertrand on the left wing (to be honest, anywhere but left back would be good...), and you have to play wolfie in this one... he has to be good enough to play against these lot...

Macca and liddell would be erm... rested, for this one... get the kids on the bench to come on when we are 3-0 up...

The last thing we will be doing is playing anything but our strongest possible 11 - especially with a break next weekend... to be honest, I think this team is pretty much there... however, i would play thompson.... you have to hope against rubbish such as stanley he would have a good game and get some of his confidence back... if he doesnt, well... 2 weeks to get stam fit then!

I would also love to see Bertrand on the left wing (to be honest, anywhere but left back would be good...), and you have to play wolfie in this one... he has to be good enough to play against these lot...

Macca and liddell would be erm... rested, for this one... get the kids on the bench to come on when we are 3-0 up...

didnt we start badly last season too??? and then look what happened.

nuff said i think.

didnt we start badly last season too??? and then look what happened.

nuff said i think.

long time no see ed....

Difference between this season and last is that we deserved to have won the games we lost....this time we didnt deserve much out of the games. Even our win at the start of the season was daylight robbery! It ain looking good....

Edited by oafc0000

long time no see ed....

Difference between this season and last is that we deserved to have won the games we lost....this time we didnt deserve much out of the games. Even our win at the start of the season was daylight robbery! It ain looking good....

:sign0094:

Brizzle Rovers - Should have won - they had 1 shot on target all game, Carlisle - Should have won - we hammered them in the 2nd half, Burnley - Should have won, we score the first goal and it is a different game...

For gods sake, stop having utterly unrealistic expectations of what you need to do to win games in this division... we could play a lot worse and have 9 points on the board... look at Carlisle, skanky win against us, and last minute goal on saturday....

All we need is a bit of luck... and some confidence... we should ahve beaten both bristol and carlisle, and suddely the world is rosy....

this is a far, far better team than last season... and we will get there...

:sign0094:

Brizzle Rovers - Should have won - they had 1 shot on target all game, Carlisle - Should have won - we hammered them in the 2nd half, Burnley - Should have won, we score the first goal and it is a different game...

For gods sake, stop having utterly unrealistic expectations of what you need to do to win games in this division... we could play a lot worse and have 9 points on the board... look at Carlisle, skanky win against us, and last minute goal on saturday....

All we need is a bit of luck... and some confidence... we should ahve beaten both bristol and carlisle, and suddely the world is rosy....

utterly unrealistic expectations of what you need to do to win games in this division

What the hell are you on about ??? How does that match what I said ???

You can have 99% possession, if you dont do anything with it all accounts for nothing. You can have 1% possessionand score and you win the game. Thats football. You have to make it count in this game, and were not making it count. That what it takes to win games!!!!

Really ?? Jury still out for me....... It has the potential of being better but at the moment its not looking good.... There is only Davies who I personally feel has improved the side. The rest are still struggling to seatle in.....

Edited by oafc0000

utterly unrealistic expectations of what you need to do to win games in this division

What the hell are you on about ??? How does that match what I said ???

You can have 99% possession, if you dont do anything with it all accounts for nothing. You can have 1% possessionand score and you win the game. Thats football. You have to make it count in this game, and were not making it count. That what it takes to win games!!!!

Right, You said - "Difference between this season and last is that we deserved to have won the games we lost....this time we didnt deserve much out of the games", and I said we deserved to win them... to me that pretty much matches exactly what you said... and is a direct response or match... no???

Surely you have just uttelry contradicted yourself... in your first post you say we didnt deserve to win these games as we didnt play well, and now you say it doesnt matter as long as you put the ball in the back of the net...

earlier post: Even our win at the start of the season was daylight robbery! It ain looking good....

Above: You can have 99% possession, if you dont do anything with it all accounts for nothing. You can have 1% possessionand score and you win the game. Thats football. You have to make it count in this game, and were not making it count

So you say the swansea game was bad as it was daylight robbery... then you say this type of performance is what football is all about... quite right, if we had taken our chances at briszzle and carlisle we would be in the top 3!

People.. please...you cannot have it both ways.... are you saying you would rather fluke past teams taking 1 chance a game... or are you saying you would like to see good football.... you seem to be saying if we played good football you would not be that bothered about losing... yet in all but 1 of the games this season we have genuinely deserved to win...??

If you are going to have a go at the team and how we have started, lets at least keep our statments consistent... never mind between threads, but at least from one post to the next!

I see your point but your taking posts too literal at the same time. I was commenting on OUR only win not even being something we can get truely excited about! It was abit of a smoke screen!

To have a sucesful season you need a combination of good performances and stealing the games..... With more of a lean towards good perfromances! We played badly in our first game and the Davies pops up and makes it 2-1 and we take the 3 points. The we had a couple of games were we passed it around well but didnt make an implact on the scoreline leading up until saturdays game were we did very very little right at all. The team isnt improving on a weekly basis they are going backwards.

Now you say we cant have it both ways, but we NEED it both ways. We need to be able to nick games and but in performances were we domniate and walk the game. Thats how you get promoted.