I am just wondering what peoples opinions are of Gregan's start to the season? IMO he seems to have lost even more of what little pace he had & has cost us a few goals because of this. I don't doubt that he is an excellent player with tremendous ariel ability, but he struggles far too much againt anyone with a slight turn of foot which could end up costing us in the long run to promotion. I don't think this situation would be too bad if we had a pacey quality defender to back him up. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has been poor so far this season. Made too many mistakes for someone with his experience and ability. He is meant to be leading the defence but he is failing to do that in my opinion. Before he signed a contract for us he hardly put a foot wrong but since signing his performances have been a mix bunch. From bloody brillant to unbelivably poor..... Not getting alot of consistancy out of him. I thought that something he would bring but it hasnt happened. He is a good defender all said and done but he isnt having the impact I had hoped he would have.

I don't think he played as badly last night than he has done in his last ouple of matches. For the first half an hour it seemed to me as though he was playing two defensive roles because he had to keep sorting out the men that Thompson was losing..which was quite a few yet again. He looked good in the air and in the second half he was even managing to find blue shirts whith his long balls from the back. If theres a defender to be scrutinised here i think its Thompson.

I don't think he played as badly last night than he has done in his last ouple of matches. For the first half an hour it seemed to me as though he was playing two defensive roles because he had to keep sorting out the men that Thompson was losing..which was quite a few yet again. He looked good in the air and in the second half he was even managing to find blue shirts whith his long balls from the back. If theres a defender to be scrutinised here i think its Thompson.

Thompson and Gregan have been poor. Its probably not fair to single either of them out. Collectivly they havent done there jobs imo. Didnt gregan give away the pen ?? I didnt go last night but thats what was being said in the chat rooom.

Thompson and Gregan have been poor. Its probably not fair to single either of them out. Collectivly they havent done there jobs imo. Didnt gregan give away the pen ?? I didnt go last night but thats what was being said in the chat rooom.

According to BBC website Gregan's fouls were the cause of both goals last night. I'm not sure if this is correct as I didn't manage to get there last night.

Edited by Laticstilidie

I don't know if he caused both goals but he did give away the penalty..again. He's a physical player which is good outside the box but for some reason he's been going gungho in the box which is definatley something he needs to stop but apart from a couple of things (al be it large things) he had a good match in opinion. Trotman had a good match. He seems like he might be a consistant performer which is something we desperatley need in our back four.

when we lost will haining i said to my brother that will keep us in this division because greegs will become captain and his general belief that he is better than this division will lead to the kind of mistakes that lost us the play off game v blackpool. Alarm bells started to ring at macclesfield when he tried to bollock eardley and eardley just looked at him and said 'shut up you pr*ck' so he clearly isnt the general we need as he doesnt command 100% respect from his troops. so far he has been responsible for 2 gols at hartlepool and he tried his best to get us knocked out last night, which under normal circumstances would be no bad thing but we needed a win last night for the confo factor. there have also been alarming mistakes against carlisle and swansea and he often breaks the cardinal defensive rule of never playing a pass along your own 18 yard line. when he came in on loan he was immense but unfortunatley, since he got his contract hes prob had 15 good games max, this is not good enough for a captain and players wont listen to a bollocking when they make a mistake if it is issued by a player making more frequent and more expensive mistakes as highlighted by eardley. i know it will be hard for shez to reverse his captain decision and greegs would probably jog about even more if it happened so i believe our only chance of success this season lies in a gregan injury.

I said it last season he was losing it fast. I got shot down for it but I only watched the Bristol Rovers game so far this season so dont want to comment too much but from what people are saying theyre noticing what I noticed last season.

Branston won everything in the air and made a hash of everything else, seems thats the route Greegs is heading ;)

Edited by davegtt

I refer readers to my comments under the 'How many points...' thread.

As I said to you at half-time last night Diego, the expectation of Gregan is too high. You yourself admit that you just want to see the match-winning, dominating Gregan back. Of course, that's what we all want. It seems though that his "average" is not good enough despite that meaning he is one of the better players at the Club and in League One.

What we currently have though is a group of fans (many of whom don't actually go to matches) picking him apart and highlighting every time he loses the ball/ misplaces a pass/ commits a foul etc. It was massively evident last night both from trawling through the match-time threads and also listening to people whose sole reason to be at Accrington seemed to be to point out his failings (and John Thompson's) while ignoring the massive amount of good stuff that Gregan showed.

If he were perfect, he'd still be in The Prem/ Championship. It is the same expectation that is on Ricketts; Crossley etc. We expect them to be fantastic players who don't make mistakes and who are going to walk us to promotion.

I'm all for having different expectations for different players but this blinkered view of Gregan is growing. Things like this start on messageboards and get transferred to the Crowd and it is building momentum with Gregan. Richard Butcher; Rob Scott; Terrell Forbes - I could go on. For those names read Mark Crossley; John Thompson; Michael Ricketts; Chris Taylor; Ryan Bertrand; Andy Liddell; Neal Eardley and now Sean Greagan. To a lesser extent, you can add Allott; Kalala and unbelievably; Kilkenny to that list - all of who have been labelled "not good enough" in some way, shape or form this season.

Usually at Latics, we need one or maybe two scapegoats. At the moment, we are somehow managing to ostracise virtually a full team.

Some perspective is needed in my opinion. Gregan is a good player who can also be brilliant.

Only at Oldham could that kind of player be subject to the kind of abuse that he is curerntly receiving.

blinkered is to strong a term and to say it grows on messageboards can not be true as i know a lot of people are holding back with greegs and hoping he comes good but if he wasnt so mouthy maybe people wudnt notice his mistakes as much, he thinks hes big time and he clearly isnt anymore.

i agree tho about how as a group of fans we often need a scapegoat, thats probably cos we have had sum bobbins signings tho and is more a reflection on society. what happened to butcher can never be excused.

As I said to you at half-time last night Diego, the expectation of Gregan is too high. You yourself admit that you just want to see the match-winning, dominating Gregan back. Of course, that's what we all want. It seems though that his "average" is not good enough despite that meaning he is one of the better players at the Club and in League One.

What we currently have though is a group of fans (many of whom don't actually go to matches) picking him apart and highlighting every time he loses the ball/ misplaces a pass/ commits a foul etc. It was massively evident last night both from trawling through the match-time threads and also listening to people whose sole reason to be at Accrington seemed to be to point out his failings (and John Thompson's) while ignoring the massive amount of good stuff that Gregan showed.

If he were perfect, he'd still be in The Prem/ Championship. It is the same expectation that is on Ricketts; Crossley etc. We expect them to be fantastic players who don't make mistakes and who are going to walk us to promotion.

I'm all for having different expectations for different players but this blinkered view of Gregan is growing. Things like this start on messageboards and get transferred to the Crowd and it is building momentum with Gregan. Richard Butcher; Rob Scott; Terrell Forbes - I could go on. For those names read Mark Crossley; John Thompson; Michael Ricketts; Chris Taylor; Ryan Bertrand; Andy Liddell; Neal Eardley and now Sean Greagan. To a lesser extent, you can add Allott; Kalala and unbelievably; Kilkenny to that list - all of who have been labelled "not good enough" in some way, shape or form this season.

Usually at Latics, we need one or maybe two scapegoats. At the moment, we are somehow managing to ostracise virtually a full team.

Some perspective is needed in my opinion. Gregan is a good player who can also be brilliant.

Only at Oldham could that kind of player be subject to the kind of abuse that he is curerntly receiving.

Gregan set his own benchmark and that's the standard we're all hoping he returns to - I'm saying it on here, but I'm not abusing him at matches like was done by others to the past players which you've listed - you could also have added loan players to that list. In the first half last night I did not take the 'I told you so' line, Gregan's actions spoke louder than any of my words and totally vindicated my written comments.

Many Latics' fans seem to have to pick on one or more scapegoats, and are not prepared to change their opinions, even in the light of overwhelming evidence to the contrary - no, I'm not talking about saying black is white about penalty decisions :wink:.

I don't want Gregan to leave - I want him to get back to his form which made him our best player. Now if he's had a kick up the rather large pants (presumably from Shez) and gets back his form then I'll be chuffed to bits. If he is then not our best player, it will be because some of the players Shez has brought in have proved in time to be even better than Gregan, and we'll be going onwards and upwards.

I think I've shown perspective by pointing out his failings in writing but not abusing him at matches. Those failings have gone on from when we were top of the league, and I didn't point them out in depth until last Sunday, after witnessing the same failings this season. I'm not refering people to my comments under the other thread, in the hope of whipping up anti-Gregan feelings. I'm asking people to read what I've said - my comments are cobstructive rather than destructive.

I never join in player assassinations at matches. I agree with you that only at Oldham could good and sometimes brilliant players be abused, but I'm afraid some Latics' fans are like that, shameful though it is. It's very rare that the performance of the Latics' crowd makes me feel proud to be a part of it.

I was pleasantly suprised that Gregan came back slimmer than he had been, I had feared it might go the other way. To me that shows that he still has his heart in it, but he does need to get back to basics. Perhaps because we aren't playing well he thinks he has to do more flashy things himself, when the reverse is true and we need to do the simple things well.

Gregan set his own benchmark and that's the standard we're all hoping he returns to - I'm saying it on here, but I'm not abusing him at matches like was done by others to the past players which you've listed - you could also have added loan players to that list. In the first half last night I did not take the 'I told you so' line, Gregan's actions spoke louder than any of my words and totally vindicated my written comments.

Many Latics' fans seem to have to pick on one or more scapegoats, and are not prepared to change their opinions, even in the light of overwhelming evidence to the contrary - no, I'm not talking about saying black is white about penalty decisions :wink:.

I don't want Gregan to leave - I want him to get back to his form which made him our best player. Now if he's had a kick up the rather large pants (presumably from Shez) and gets back his form then I'll be chuffed to bits. If he is then not our best player, it will be because some of the players Shez has brought in have proved in time to be even better than Gregan, and we'll be going onwards and upwards.

I think I've shown perspective by pointing out his failings in writing but not abusing him at matches. Those failings have gone on from when we were top of the league, and I didn't point them out in depth until last Sunday, after witnessing the same failings this season. I'm not refering people to my comments under the other thread, in the hope of whipping up anti-Gregan feelings. I'm asking people to read what I've said - my comments are cobstructive rather than destructive.

I never join in player assassinations at matches. I agree with you that only at Oldham could good and sometimes brilliant players be abused, but I'm afraid some Latics' fans are like that, shameful though it is. It's very rare that the performance of the Latics' crowd makes me feel proud to be a part of it.

Diego - While I replied to your post, most of what I said was not aimed at you. We know each other and talk and so I am aware of your feelings and certainly don't lump you in the "lack of perspective" category.

The problem with messageboards is that they create and strengthen opinion. My point being last night, many people who were not at the game were ripping Gregan to shreds on here. It was the same on ISZ. It builds up an undercurrent and that in turn manifests itself on the terraces and stands. My problem at the moment with many is that they are seeing only faults. The guys around me were happy to point out mistakes but neglected to comment on the defensive clearances; blocked shots; pin-point passes etc. And Gregan wasn't at his best last night. When he's on song like at Burnley; home against Swansea and to a lesser extent, home against Bristol Rovers, he is immense and man of the match.

Everything that we praise him for - his swagger; composure on the ball; ability to play football in difficult areas; tough tackling; professional defending; sweeping cross-field balls - even hoofs into Row Z when needed - are used as negatives when it suits and at the moment, it is just fault-finding IMO.

I'll admit he's not playing well at times by his standards but that is where the perspective bit kicks in - he is still a good player and better than many in this League.

I know you don't slag players off at matched and I know that what you crave is a dominating Gregan like we had consistently when he joined us. Therein is the problem. If he were that player consistently, then he would not be playing for Oldham Athletic in Division 3.

... I know that what you crave is a dominating Gregan like we had consistently when he joined us. Therein is the problem. If he were that player consistently, then he would not be playing for Oldham Athletic in Division 3.

This is the crux of the discussion. Form is temporary (sometines lasting many months), class is permanent - Gregan can ouse class if he makes the effort in the proper parts of his play, instead of concentrating on the negative parts.

i dont know how you can give gregan any praise last night in the last 2 games he has given away 2 penalties(probably 3 as one wasnt given last night and then at the end of the game when all the other players came and clapped the fans he just walked right past them and completely ignored them as far as i am concerned he is an arrogant p***ck

My only problem with Gregan is that he tries to be too flashy and messes about with the ball too much. If he didn't do this he wouldn't make half as many mistakes as he does. The league we are in we have to expect that players will make mistakes if they didnt they wouldnt be playing for us but many of Gregans are of his own making. He is a centre half in the third division, all he needs to do is win the ball and then get rid of it either with a simple pass or if needed hit it long to the forwards. I have never booed Gregan (or any latics player) or given him grief, i just think all he needs to is keep things simple and stick to what he does best.

I do think that as captain he shouldn't be constantly having a go at the other players - especially the younger ones. Yes sometimes he is right in shouting but most of the time he's not. Our best captains of recent years are Duxbury and Milligan they lead by example and encouraged and organised the others on the team and i think this is something that Gregan should try and improve on. Not everyone has the qualities to be a good leader and i don't think we really have a good leader in our squad

Edited by Gemma06

the flashy aspect is the worst bit, like playin balls along his own 18 yard line or trying to turn the attacker in our defensive 3rd of the pitch. once he realises (or shez tells him) hes not 29 anymore we shud be ok but it must happen soon.

Oh. So you mean he should stop doing the things that initially he was lauded for and saw his name chanted by the transfixed Latics fans? The moment at Gillingham last season where he left their centre forward on his arse; similarly at Burnley last week and on several other occasions in between.

This is exactly my point. We loved him for his flashy arrogance and swagger. Now we choose to berate him for it while failing to see the positives in his play.

It appears that many are now wishing for the re-signing of Guy Branston and Terell Forbes. "Kick it into Row Z", "hoof it up field".

You couldn't make it up.

not atall.

defend him to the hilt if u want but he cant do it anymore so he shud stop trying. you are ignorin the fact that he shud hav hoofed it at burnley and he didnt and they scored and we lost, its a results business mate not dancing on ice.

Bizarre. Which goal at Burnley was down to Gregan not hoofing it "when he should"?

I'm not defending him to the hilt and what can't he do anymore? Leave an attacker looking stupid sat on his arse like he did - ooh 8 days ago and was doing for fun last season?

You don't have to read my posts but if you are going to challenge the opinion, then do me a favour and at least glance at what I have written. I'm saying he makes mistakes but also pointing out that he does a lot of good things which are being overlooked by his current detractors.

I'm not really sure what you are saying other than bring back the hoofers like Forbes and Branston.

im saying if in doubt get it out theres nothing wrong with that, mistakes cost points whereas making people fall over means nothing.

dont get me wrong i just want him to bring his ego down a peg and shut his mouth a bit thats all before he ends up lookin like a prat again like parker made him look in the play offs.