• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile
But they can't hear the singing by the fans, who are not abusing the players, due to the poor accoustics! :tongue1:

That all depends on the the position of the players on the pitch and the direction of the wind. ^_^

Fair point about the swagger Dan.

The problem with anyone who is a bit cocky; outrageous or even just a bit different is that fans will quickly turn on them for displaying those characteristics when things aren't going well.

It's happened loads of times with players like David James. One minute, he's a fantastic goalkeeper with trendy haircuts and the next, he's a useless sod who spends more time on his ridiculous barnet than he does on stopping shots. Maybe not the best example but I'm using it to show how opinions change about things unrelated to football.

I do agree that Gregan needs to cut out the arrogance and concentrate on being our best player again. It doesn't send out the right messages and is leading to mistakes on the pitch (plus stupid fouls) and (in my opinion) unjust criticism from the fans. If it is part of his fabric and persona, then fair enough but if not, then cut it out Sean. Even where they are wrong, showing dissent to match officials usually ends up one way and it is never good for you or your team. Likewise, even winning a petty squabble on the pitch means nothing if your team gets beaten.

I know that you aren't saying it Dan (and neither are several on this thread) but there are many who are using Gregan as a scapegoat for all our failings at the moment. Calls for him to be dropped are way off the mark as were many of the comments thrown at him on Tuesday. It was the blinkered nature of these "supporters" that really got my goat and made me want to comment. We would lose so much from our defence without Gregan (we'll find out soon when he gets suspended :wink:) and I truly wonder who they think we can bring in who would do a better job.

As for Hartlepool, I've watched the penalty 50 or more times and I still think it was the wrong decision. At best (or worst) it was an indirect free-kick for obstruction for Hartlepool. On Tuesday, at the time I thought there was no foul for the one given (I certainly saw no contact from where I was stood) but on seeing replays, then it looked a definite tug where there appeared to be no danger as their lad was being forced wide.

It's all about opinions but to me, I still maintain the Hartlepool spot kick was incorrect.

I may have missed them but I have not read any suggestions on here that Gregan should be dropped. There have been calls for him to cut out the actions that are damaging his game and the team's performance, but I think everyone has stated their respect for him as a class player, who we need in the team.

Your point about people criticising those parts of someone's appearance, personality, or game is valid, but if someone goes out of their way to dress, act or play in an individual way they run the risk of that individualty being thrown back in their face when things go wrong - that's human nature from the observer's point of view. Such individuals need to have the strength of character to get back on their clothes horse or equivalent, and enforce that individuality once more to regain the adulation they crave through their individual characteristics.

Gregan is a big boy in every sense of the word (behave yourselves!) and he's not going to start sulking about constructive criticism - if he's the man I believe he is, he'll go out and regain that origial form that made him the fans' favourite. that means he'll cut out all the negative stuff that Dan highlighted and you agree with.

One last word on the Hartlepool penalty. I said at half-time that I thought it was a penalty, but that it might have warranted an indirect free-kick to Hartlepool. I also commented to S_W that I'd never seen an indirect free-kick awarded for obstruction in the penalty area for many years. I even wonder whether it has been removed from the laws of the game. S_W said one was given at the Bristol Rovers game - I missed so much that day! Anyway, having said all that, after watching the replay, it was clearly a penalty. With you having watched it over 50 times you must have noticed that the reason the ball was in the air was not because it was charged down (up) by a Hartlepool player - Gregan deliberately kicked the ball at their player instead of clearing in ito the wing stand.

Why would he do that? Because he is apt to get distracted from the job in hand (behave yourselves!) and he seems to enjoy causing or getting involved in altercations with players. Whether he was doing it in a gesture of protection for Bertrand, who had been knocked off the ball, I don't know. It's that aspect of his game and others that some of us are trying to encourage him to eliminate, in order to regain his God-like status.

i dont know how you can give gregan any praise last night in the last 2 games he has given away 2 penalties(probably 3 as one wasnt given last night and then at the end of the game when all the other players came and clapped the fans he just walked right past them and completely ignored them as far as i am concerned he is an arrogant p***ck

I don't think Gregan was being praised for his performance the other night, i think the jist of the threads were saying that rather than put him on top of the world if he has a good game and bury him the week after if he has a bad one, we should perhaps be a bit more realistic with our 'long term' view on a player rather than our 'short term' one.

You're right he does display a definate arrogant front and having spent time with him last christmas at a function, he doesn't lessen that off the pitch either.

However, gregan on form is one of the top defenders at this level and to boo, jeer etc is probably not the best way to 'support' your players and team.

That was a mystery to be sure.

I think he was miffed because his hoof to Row Z hit their player and rebounded into the area. Probably trying to be too clever as I'm sure he was trying to play it off their man and into the crowd.

You are right though and this debate should not be happening as he would probably have won the header if he had challenged for it.

We are at one then that he kicked the ball at the player rather than into touch.

It's the "probably trying to be too clever" part of Gregan that I and others are critical of.

Guest oa_exile
That would be whispers carrying to the pitch on the "fans'" hot air, with the raucous chants/songs floating heavenwards on the breeze. :mmm:

Aye , summatt like that (Not getting drawn into the argument) B)

I may have missed them but I have not read any suggestions on here that Gregan should be dropped. There have been calls for him to cut out the actions that are damaging his game and the team's performance, but I think everyone has stated their respect for him as a class player, who we need in the team.

Your point about people criticising those parts of someone's appearance, personality, or game is valid, but if someone goes out of their way to dress, act or play in an individual way they run the risk of that individualty being thrown back in their face when things go wrong - that's human nature from the observer's point of view. Such individuals need to have the strength of character to get back on their clothes horse or equivalent, and enforce that individuality once more to regain the adulation they crave through their individual characteristics.

Gregan is a big boy in every sense of the word (behave yourselves!) and he's not going to start sulking about constructive criticism - if he's the man I believe he is, he'll go out and regain that origial form that made him the fans' favourite. that means he'll cut out all the negative stuff that Dan highlighted and you agree with.

One last word on the Hartlepool penalty. I said at half-time that I thought it was a penalty, but that it might have warranted an indirect free-kick to Hartlepool. I also commented to S_W that I'd never seen an indirect free-kick awarded for obstruction in the penalty area for many years. I even wonder whether it has been removed from the laws of the game. S_W said one was given at the Bristol Rovers game - I missed so much that day! Anyway, having said all that, after watching the replay, it was clearly a penalty. With you having watched it over 50 times you must have noticed that the reason the ball was in the air was not because it was charged down (up) by a Hartlepool player - Gregan deliberately kicked the ball at their player instead of clearing in ito the wing stand.

Why would he do that? Because he is apt to get distracted from the job in hand (behave yourselves!) and he seems to enjoy causing or getting involved in altercations with players. Whether he was doing it in a gesture of protection for Bertrand, who had been knocked off the ball, I don't know. It's that aspect of his game and others that some of us are trying to encourage him to eliminate, in order to regain his God-like status.

Diego - This is getting a bit boring now particularly as we have been in agreement for quite some time!

There were plenty the other night calling for Gregan to be dropped - at the game, on here and on ISZ. There are several on this thread alone implying Gregan is not good enough. I know what you are saying and it isn't far off what I have been writing on this thread.

I don't put you in the "drop Gregan because he's rubbish" category and said so about 2 pages ago.

Anyway, enough on this subject from me until Southend when hopefully, Gregan will have a stormer!

Guest oa_exile
hehe oops :blush:

I was with the whole team, but couldn't get all their names into this thread :wink:

You'll have to save em up ! , every time a player is mentioned you can say :

............and having spent time with him last christmas at a function, he doesn't

:applause1:

We can discuss it when I_C brings us together for that beautiful moment. Before the Southend game I'll be in the Clayton Green (or Clayton Arms if reopened) to meet Azulmarino and Bilsborrow. Is this the golden opportunity? :wink:

Sounds good to me although I know that The White Hart is Exile's usual watering hole. Then again, that's where me and Exile first met so I do have fond romantic memories of the Clayton Green. :wub:

Nearer the time, we can sort it out by PM before Leeslover gets arsey.

Diego - This is getting a bit boring now particularly as we have been in agreement for quite some time!

There were plenty the other night calling for Gregan to be dropped - at the game, on here and on ISZ. There are several on this thread alone implying Gregan is not good enough. I know what you are saying and it isn't far off what I have been writing on this thread.

I don't put you in the "drop Gregan because he's rubbish" category and said so about 2 pages ago.

Anyway, enough on this subject from me until Southend when hopefully, Gregan will have a stormer!

I_C, you've misunderstood me - I know you weren't putting me in that category. I just think nearly all his critics I've read want him to stay and get back to his former glory.

Agree about waiting for the Southend game to be the catalyst - and that's just the possibilty of meeting :exile: .

Guest oa_exile
Sounds good to me although I know that The White Hart is Exile's usual watering hole. Then again, that's where me and Exile first met so I do have fond romantic memories of the Clayton Green. :wub:

Nearer the time, we can sort it out by PM before Leeslover gets arsey.

Agree about waiting for the Southend game to be the catalyst - and that's just the possibilty of meeting :exile: .

lol :grin: i think i'm being "Stalked" :peepwall: or "Groomed" :goggle:

Edited by oa_exile

You should have seen the "live" chat board on tuesday night diego (apologies before anyone say - yes, I didnt make the 350 mile round trip on a tuesday night for a tinpot trophy game - part timer that i am... :wink: ) ... I think the rate of "suggestions" that Gregan should be dropped, exiled, then executed in avery painful fashion were racking up at about 20 a minute... think it was only myself, mark and a couple of others who suggested your above view... but then we were battered from all sides....

I think you underestimate the views of some fans out there.... hence why i was rather lets say... "miffed" yesterday when i reacted inapropriately to your post!

I think most of the comments on here are realistic, and emphasise the fact that we all want Gregan to become the colossus he can be.... rather than dropped, but the latter was by far the most predominant view on Tuesday night... but methinks in the live environment people were "playing up to the crowd.."

You should have seen the "live" chat board on tuesday night diego (apologies before anyone say - yes, I didnt make the 350 mile round trip on a tuesday night for a tinpot trophy game - part timer that i am... :wink: ) ... I think the rate of "suggestions" that Gregan should be dropped, exiled, then executed in avery painful fashion were racking up at about 20 a minute... think it was only myself, mark and a couple of others who suggested your above view... but then we were battered from all sides....

I think you underestimate the views of some fans out there.... hence why i was rather lets say... "miffed" yesterday when i reacted inapropriately to your post!

I think most of the comments on here are realistic, and emphasise the fact that we all want Gregan to become the colossus he can be.... rather than dropped, but the latter was by far the most predominant view on Tuesday night... but methinks in the live environment people were "playing up to the crowd.."

Why should anyone, especially the players and Gregan in particular, worry about what people are saying on a message board during a game they are not watching?

I get pilloried :wink: for going to the game, singing to get the team going and shouting encouragement to the players. So I'm not going to lose any sleep over those jumping to conclusions and airing their thoughts, which change by the minute, based on a commentary.

Agreed, but what people are saying is if all these qualities were demonstrated more frequently, it would help to lift the other non-God players who are off-form and improve the team's overall performance. Now what's wrong with that point of view?

Nowt, fair do's. I have only seen him vs Mansfield and Brizzle Rovers and he didn't do owt wrong. If he aint been playing that good away then that is a shame but vilafying him coz of a couple of ba games is a bit extreme methinks (not you personally!) Noone can deny that at times he does look different class but if he aint giving it 100% he needs a kick up the proverbial, agreed!

Why should anyone, especially the players and Gregan in particular, worry about what people are saying on a message board during a game they are not watching?

I get pilloried :wink: for going to the game, singing to get the team going and shouting encouragement to the players. So I'm not going to lose any sleep over those jumping to conclusions and airing their thoughts, which change by the minute, based on a commentary.

I wasnt saying he would do! I was just answering your point that no-one is calling for him to be dropped! I would also hope that a proffessional footballer of the standing of Mr Gregan would not pay any attention to the comments of those actually at the match either...!

I was purely highlighting it to back up your the discussion of how fickle certain Oldham fans can be! ... especially those "jumping to conclusions and airing their thoughts, which change by the minute, based on a commentary."

:wink:

Leeds fans said from the start. Soon as he gets offered a contract his ability will seemingly drastically decrease. Which it has since he signed for us permanantly.

He did improve in the 2nd half, but that wasnt hard given his clumsy challenges in the first.

I am of the opinion that he is one of three senior players who think because of who they are and what they've done in their career already - that they think no matter how well they play, or dont. Come the next game. They'll still be in the team.

I think he need's a kick up the arse at the moment and I think Trotman could possibly be that man without the need to bring someone in on loan.

Leeds fans said from the start. Soon as he gets offered a contract his ability will seemingly drastically decrease. Which it has since he signed for us permanantly.

He did improve in the 2nd half, but that wasnt hard given his clumsy challenges in the first.

I am of the opinion that he is one of three senior players who think because of who they are and what they've done in their career already - that they think no matter how well they play, or dont. Come the next game. They'll still be in the team.

I think he need's a kick up the arse at the moment and I think Trotman could possibly be that man without the need to bring someone in on loan.

Agree with this....