I wasnt saying he would do! I was just answering your point that no-one is calling for him to be dropped! I would also hope that a proffessional footballer of the standing of Mr Gregan would not pay any attention to the comments of those actually at the match either...!

I was purely highlighting it to back up your the discussion of how fickle certain Oldham fans can be! ... especially those "jumping to conclusions and airing their thoughts, which change by the minute, based on a commentary."

:wink:

I see what you mean, but I_C was concerned that "things like this start on messageboards and get transferred to the crowd and it is building momentum with Gregan".

If you're correct and the players don't pay attention to message boards then there's no harm in us discussing our different opinions. If you're also correct that they also don't pay any attention to the comments of those actually at the match, there's nothing to worry about on that front either.

We know that Shez will do what's necessary to get the players and their leader back on a consistent basis to the best form that they and he have only been showing in glimpses. If we didn't appreciate how good Gregan can be, we wouldn't be so concerned about his decline.

Nobody can disagree with that....can they?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just wondering what peoples opinions are of Gregan's start to the season? IMO he seems to have lost even more of what little pace he had & has cost us a few goals because of this. I don't doubt that he is an excellent player with tremendous ariel ability, but he struggles far too much againt anyone with a slight turn of foot which could end up costing us in the long run to promotion. I don't think this situation would be too bad if we had a pacey quality defender to back him up. What are your thoughts?

Way too slow! Against Bristol Rovers you could see he was completely out of breath - it reminded me of my Sunday morning centre half performances whilst hungover against which ever 16 - 17 year old forward I was playing - plus he was sweating more than I was which goes some considering I'd drunk enough the previous night to refloat the Titanic

As for Hartlepool, I've watched the penalty 50 or more times and I still think it was the wrong decision.

It's all about opinions but to me, I still maintain the Hartlepool spot kick was incorrect.

Sorry to raise this again I_C, but in the interest of a balanced view I checked out the rarely wrong Northern Echo, which cites Gregan's "considerable frame" for bundling over Monkhouse in the penalty incident. It also credits Craig Hughes for the opening goal. One correct out of two is about par for the media course. :grin:

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/foo...over_oldham.php

The rarely wrong Sunderland Echo says Monkhouse was impeded by Gregan in the box.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/ViewArticle....ticleid=3167194

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

The problem with messageboards is that they create and strengthen opinion. <snip> It builds up an undercurrent and that in turn manifests itself on the terraces and stands. My problem at the moment with many is that they are seeing only faults.

Hehe IC.....been saying this myself, for a couple of years now :wink:

"When he's on song like at Burnley"

The thing about Gregan is it's gone on for months now. A bit like Liddell....both hit Jan 07 and turned into very sub-standard players for most games. With Gregan, I can't put my finger on it (whereas with Lids I can). That Burnley game for me summed up Gregan in 2007.....can be quite simply brilliant (and he's only shown that standard maybe twice in 2007, which ain't enough IMO for it to go unnoticed) and then after such a display, he fannies about with the ball and costs us. That Carlisle game was probably the most annoying performance I've witnessed from him....almost intent on getting himself sent off. Blackpool in the playoffs....Bradford, Orient and Crewe last season, he was making mistakes and blaming others for them.

He's a great player at times, but this is now not a case of from game to game, but from half to half. How do you get him back to his best, I don't know but I said in the summer that the worst thing Shez could do was give him the captaincy...and I think it's proving to be the case. Not saying who I would give that too, but Gregan for me, had created some ugly waves in our defence at the end of last season causing other players around him to lose their composure and confidence. Branston was labelled as a bit of a bully, Gregan now appears as a bit of an arrogant "I'm better than these" sort. Only can he act like that, when he's sorting out his own back yard and for me, at the moment, he ain't doing it.

One final thing, someone mentions Thompson might not be helping in Gregans game. I've had a massive question mark over Thompson from day one and still have. He's decent at times, but my biggest concern is his positional sense is absolutely woeful. Maybe that is affecting Gregan at times, but my main frustrations with Gregan is when he lumps the ball into the stand when there's no pressure around (followed by chants of his name) and then, when he's got the ball at his feet, he fannies around with it, loses it and either fouls his man (Carlisle) or it costs us a goal (Burnley). I hate seeing this demise in him....but it is happening and has been for a while. How do you find the man, within the man?