Drum - Should it stay or should it go ?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hartlepool, atmosphere was good and no drumbut on the other hand.Huddersfield ,atmosphere was brill with the drum.

Think it depends on how its used and where in a big acoustic ground would sound better than brighton or chesterfield, if he just toned the beat of the drum down a bit would be o.k.

Mind you we cant hear him were we sit we just see people clapping in time with him but no voices bieng heard. :blink:

Why dont we compramise and sing a song with no drum e.g

We play in blueeeeeeeee and tangerineeeeee..........................................

I think the reason the atmosphere was good at Huddersfield was because we where playing brilliant, there was nearly 4,000 Latics fans and Chris Taylor put on a wonder show not the drum, so lets go for a trial period without the drum, say until to the end of the 2020/2021 season

For me the best test is to compare the atmosphere pre drum and post drum.....

For me its about the same if no worse, but now its annoying the hell out of alot of people....

As for moving to another seat....I never think that comments fair, people have there seasonticket seats for many a year and i belive its unfair to ask people to move.

For me the best test is to compare the atmosphere pre drum and post drum.....

For me its about the same if no worse, but now its annoying the hell out of alot of people....

As for moving to another seat....I never think that comments fair, people have there seasonticket seats for many a year and i belive its unfair to ask people to move.

Just what I was thinking. Should ¾ of the Chaddy End move somewhere else just because this lad likes hitting something to make a loud noise? I suppose if someone beside me on my train up next weekend is playing loud crap tinny music out of his phone, then I should just go to another carriage and try to find a seat there. The same if someone sits behind me at the pictures and takes phone calls all the way through the film.

Just what I was thinking. Should ¾ of the Chaddy End move somewhere else just because this lad likes hitting something to make a loud noise? I suppose if someone beside me on my train up next weekend is playing loud crap tinny music out of his phone, then I should just go to another carriage and try to find a seat there. The same if someone sits behind me at the pictures and takes phone calls all the way through the film.

..exactly...

As you can see by my stats, I don't post often. but this drum issue always gets me at it. The poll does clearly show that the drum isn't wanted, so how about one of the trigger happy mods (Acky) forwarding it to that nice Mr. Hardy for his information?

I've nothing whatsoever against the actual drummer, any Latics fan has something going for them as far as I'm concerned, but I can't see him jacking it in without some official request from OAFC.

I did mention on the previous post about this that he could maybe sit next to Alan Hardy for a few games or be placed in the roped off sections of the paddock........or maybe up one of the floodlights.

The Chaddy has lost its voice over the past few seasons.

Could their be a correlation between us not singing as much/loud and Latics not coming from behind to win?

We need to raise the players when we're behind. If the drum is the cause of reduced amount/volume of singing then yes it needs to go.

I’m starting to wonder if all this dislike for the drum has come from the stories we’ve heard about the drummer. I remember last May when we played Blackpool in the playoffs and I think just about everyone was pro drums. We were all going on about him out drumming the lashers drummer (impossible I know!) and to make as much noise as possible. Stories being posted about how he had blisters on his hands and how hopefully he would be okay for the away leg.

What happened?

Now it’s easy for me to be pro drums as I don’t sit in the Chaddy End and as much can’t hold as big an opinion as anyone who does.

I’m starting to wonder if all this dislike for the drum has come from the stories we’ve heard about the drummer. I remember last May when we played Blackpool in the playoffs and I think just about everyone was pro drums. We were all going on about him out drumming the lashers drummer (impossible I know!) and to make as much noise as possible. Stories being posted about how he had blisters on his hands and how hopefully he would be okay for the away leg.

What happened?

Now it’s easy for me to be pro drums as I don’t sit in the Chaddy End and as much can’t hold as big an opinion as anyone who does.

I dont know of these storys.....

I think you can have an opinion....obviously it dosent annoy you as you dont have to sit in front of it and have ur ears destroyed but you can certainly comment on if you feel it is helping or destroying the atmosphere....

Like his dum-de-dum dum dum, dum-de-dum dum dum - gets us all singing ner ner, ner ner, ner ner ner ner ner-ne nerrr OLDHAM. Bit of a witch hunt on here aint there. The lad himself may not be everyone's cup of tea but I like haveing something different from the mundane. If you all want to ban the drummer, let's have everyone off their seats and giving it 110% getting behind the lads and singing - that would be fine with me! I LIKE NOIZ, GIVE ME SOME NOIZ!!!

Like his dum-de-dum dum dum, dum-de-dum dum dum - gets us all singing ner ner, ner ner, ner ner ner ner ner-ne nerrr OLDHAM. Bit of a witch hunt on here aint there. The lad himself may not be everyone's cup of tea but I like haveing something different from the mundane. If you all want to ban the drummer, let's have everyone off their seats and giving it 110% getting behind the lads and singing - that would be fine with me! I LIKE NOIZ, GIVE ME SOME NOIZ!!!

Thats not fair....no witch hunt....just people have an opinion and feelings about it....

Lets put it to the test against Southend, i know the drummer is a member on here because he has fairly defended himself before. If he was to leave his drum at home for the next game and then the atmosphere is crap with nobody singing let him bring it back. It is up to us in the Chaddy to sing and create an atmosphere.

It is pointless though getting rid of the drum for good if nobody will put in any effort to sing without it !

A view from afar...

I get to about one or two Latics matches a year, given I live on the other side of the world.

Christmas-time, I got to Yoevil at home, and as per usual, headed to my spiritual home, "Singer's corner".

When I were a lad :headbang: Singer's corner was the top left of the Chaddy (as viewed from centre-circle).

Unfortunately, this time, the Singers corner was full, (mute, too, it has to be said) so I had to make my way to the drum locale.

Surrounding the drum were a mixture of oiks and passionate fans.

The oiks, for all their faults, are Latics fans. Mostly young, a bit silly, and full of themselves. But Latics supporters, nevertheless.

The passionate fans, I saw, were just after any excuse to get singing and encourging the team. It seems their view was that anything that gets the team going is worth joining in with.

I sat there, in the middle of it, and, being Oldham, sung my heart out for the lads.

The problem was, when the "Singer's corner" set off anything, it was soon adopted, overwhelmed and RUINED by the middle-tier drummer, wheras the drum latched on to anthing in his locale, which gave it "oomph", if not the correct beat.

The obvious answer is segregation.

Singer's corner needs to be took back - by the singers, not he whingers.

The drum, and his mates, need to be allocated space.

Singers corner to the left, drum to the middle, or elsewhere in the ground (as the right is generally old folk's safe haven).

The singer's corner died with the seats. An efort needs to be made - by the club - AND the fans - to take it back.

The drum has a place, but not there.

T

I think the problem with the drum is either the drummer himself (not as a person but his skills) or the fact that he uses an inappropiate drum. Often he drowns out any singing, doesn't get the right rythm and has a very limited repetoir. Drums at football can be quite good (there's a Spanish drummer who is very good) and can make certain chants better but bad drums need to be stopped. As a member of the Lookers Upper I don't havent too much of a problem with the drum at home games but if possible i wouldn't sit anywhere near him at away games.

We should be able to break into song without the aid of a drum which I can't be bothered trying to chant over when he is constantly banging it.

Thats half the problem, Horlicks, as soon as any chant starts up he starts banging his drum (and usually out of sync/rhythm/speed) and then the chant tails away as people can't be mithered!

Thats half the problem, Horlicks, as soon as any chant starts up he starts banging his drum (and usually out of sync/rhythm/speed) and then the chant tails away as people can't be mithered!

I quite like the drum at times, BUT it's tradition for Oldham fans to sing ' Come on Oldham ' at corners and the drummer always starts that 'du du du-du-du du-du-du 'OLDHAM' which I find annoying and not very atmospheric at all. Nothing can quite beat the Chaddy End (when in full voice) singing ' Come on Oldham, Come on Oldham '.

I quite like the drum at times, BUT it's tradition for Oldham fans to sing ' Come on Oldham ' at corners and the drummer always starts that 'du du du-du-du du-du-du 'OLDHAM' which I find annoying and not very atmospheric at all. Nothing can quite beat the Chaddy End (when in full voice) singing ' Come on Oldham, Come on Oldham '.

Since the loss of the scoreboard, too many fans seem to have forgotten the words of "Come on Oldham!".