AOL

Latics4Ever

If you are unfortunate enough to have a crap Internet Provider (AOL) such as myself, then you may find you have difficulty accessing this site!

Whenever I try opening the link for here, I get the following FORBIDDEN message:

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.owtb.co.uk Port 80"

The only way around it is to open Internet Explorer once AOL is running, but it is bloody annoying that it won't allow the site to run through AOL!

*Rant Over!*

Yes, Sniper99 brought it to my attention last night. There is a work around.

A brief explanation first, I think (and I have to stress think there, because I'm only just looking into this problem - I've never come across it before) that the AOL browser routes you through a proxy server thus giving the internet the impression that you are online from somewhere your not, reporting a different IP number.

If I'm teaching you how to suck eggs I'm sorry.

When you go online with a normal browser it does not take you through the proxies and actually reports the true IP address. Hence you can get here with your true IP address and not with your "fake" one, because my server thinks you've got something to hide (a hacker uses multiple proxies to confuse their origins) so to speak.

Let me find the article I was reading yesterday and I'll post it up, for you - I cannot do anything my end - you'll have to do it yourself because the settings will have to be manipulated on your machine not on my server.

Cheers

Matt.

What version of AOL are you running? Are you using AOL OpenRide? I'd recommend installing the latest version with all the updates and patches.

AOL is one sorry piece of kit, it really is.

Also check out this >>> LINK <<< it saves me from explaining it.

As I said to Sniper99 yesterday, it looks daunting but it really isn't - honestly.

Or as an easier option you could just download Firefox, and instead of having to log onto AOhell for the interweb, just click direct to Firefox.

Im on BT and i dont log in at all, due to being a lazy :censored:, but thats another story...