Paul Scholes

Just the boot deal with Nike, that's all I can think of him having. Obviously make a small mint on that as he's one of their leading players.

Quiet, nondescript family man who earns somewhere in the region of £70k a week at least and has been for the best part of 10 years. If he's not a multi-millionaire by now then there's something seriously wrong with his finances. I'd imagine a lot of his wealth will be tied up in either property or low-risk investments but still he's got nowt to worry about money-wise for, um, ever.

He won't be minted Beckham-style like the cash cow (oh the irony) money-making machine he is, but he's certainly going to be one of the more wealthier players at United, that's for sure.

Interestingly, the president of the cricket team my dad plays/does work for outbid him on a house in the Saddleworth area a few years ago. He ended up paying over a million for it in the end to do so mind.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just the boot deal with Nike, that's all I can think of him having. Obviously make a small mint on that as he's one of their leading players.

he is a very down to earth lad,who doesnt go in for all the razzamatazz of the other players.he knows where he came from and how lucky a position he is in.

he will have already set himself up for life,by investing his huge wages wisely,the thing is he isnt in the public eye,but it doesnt mean he hasnt got any deals going.

he does a lot for charity as well.

so by the time he may come here if we get into the championship,it wont be a money issue for him,it will be about playing for his boyhood club,and pleasing everybody that tell him he should sign for us.

he is a very down to earth lad,who doesnt go in for all the razzamatazz of the other players.he knows where he came from and how lucky a position he is in.

he will have already set himself up for life,by investing his huge wages wisely,the thing is he isnt in the public eye,but it doesnt mean he hasnt got any deals going.

he does a lot for charity as well.

so by the time he may come here if we get into the championship,it wont be a money issue for him,it will be about playing for his boyhood club,and pleasing everybody that tell him he should sign for us.

He used to get his hair cut in the village barbers in Lees too. The owner there told me the (probably apocryphal) story of scholes going into one of the estate agents in Lees in his early 20's and in a track suit asking if he could arrange a viewing of probably the most expensive house they were flogging. Said estate agent was apparently not interested in football and thought he was taking the p**s - the almost definitely not true part of this story being that when he'd been to look he whipped his cheque book out to pay for it.

He used to get his hair cut in the village barbers in Lees too. The owner there told me the (probably apocryphal) story of scholes going into one of the estate agents in Lees in his early 20's and in a track suit asking if he could arrange a viewing of probably the most expensive house they were flogging. Said estate agent was apparently not interested in football and thought he was taking the p**s - the almost definitely not true part of this story being that when he'd been to look he whipped his cheque book out to pay for it.

Heard a similar thing about Djemba Djemba when he was at United. Turns up to get a test drive in a BMW. Just casually dressed. Refuse him a test drive.

Leaves showroom, comes back a couple of hours later with the thousands of pounds to try and buy the car there and then outright! Had to be explained that it wasn't the done thing over here. Still left one car salesman very red faced anyway!

Pints of Lees beer in his local is also cheaper than bottles of Cristal in Chinawhites.

It bloomin isnt in that pub - drank in his local many a time and not a drop of lees in sight, belive the beer is Smiths... bought him a drink once (very drunk and insisted) and he chose lager... so he definitely isnt batty... :wink:

Just to say... dont know if anyone else heard 606 yesterday... some of the comments on Scholesy were a disgrace, calling him to be cast aside onto the scapheap in a second... I know theres no room for sentiment in the franchise system... however i'm sure if scholes heard any of those comments then he would be tempted to go somewhere he is loved sooner rather than later....

Trust me - scholesy will be minted... however, if he feels like saving about £20 a week on petrol he will move to us sooner rather than later... cant se e him going anywhere else other than to us at the end of next season....

It bloomin isnt in that pub - drank in his local many a time and not a drop of lees in sight, belive the beer is Smiths... bought him a drink once (very drunk and insisted) and he chose lager... so he definitely isnt batty... :wink:

Just to say... dont know if anyone else heard 606 yesterday... some of the comments on Scholesy were a disgrace, calling him to be cast aside onto the scapheap in a second... I know theres no room for sentiment in the franchise system... however i'm sure if scholes heard any of those comments then he would be tempted to go somewhere he is loved sooner rather than later....

Trust me - scholesy will be minted... however, if he feels like saving about £20 a week on petrol he will move to us sooner rather than later... cant se e him going anywhere else other than to us at the end of next season....

lets just say for arguments sake.that we get into the playoffs this season,and we manage to get ourself promoted out of this :censored: of a league,finally......what would the chances of him buying out the remaining year of his contract and dropping down to help us be???? slim to non existent,or 50/50???

care to explain why not???

I'll have a go. The most we could offer him - smashing our wage structure - is around 25K a week, probably 50K a week less than he'd get sitting out his contract at Man U. That's 2.6 million quid to a player reaching the end of his career, I don't think he loves us that much!

Reality is that he may come after next season if - and it's a biggy - no premiership or rich championship club make him a better offer than we can afford.

A slightly more far fetched scenario is that Taggart tells him that he has no part in his plans next season and allows him to go out on loan and Scholes says he'll only go to us. Unlikely, but it would be nice to have them subsidising a Latics player to that degree.

I'll have a go. The most we could offer him - smashing our wage structure - is around 25K a week, probably 50K a week less than he'd get sitting out his contract at Man U. That's 2.6 million quid to a player reaching the end of his career, I don't think he loves us that much!

Reality is that he may come after next season if - and it's a biggy - no premiership or rich championship club make him a better offer than we can afford.

A slightly more far fetched scenario is that Taggart tells him that he has no part in his plans next season and allows him to go out on loan and Scholes says he'll only go to us. Unlikely, but it would be nice to have them subsidising a Latics player to that degree.

fair points

but like i said,he is nearing the end of his football time,in the premiership.

he has 1 year left on his contract.there would be no reason why he couldnt buy out his last 12 months and drop down,it wouldnt be an issue of money for him,more a football matter and desire to play for your home town club.

i admit myself i think it unlikey next season,but could you imagine this scenario then.....we go up this season via playoffs,so next season were in the championship....then we get relegated back down again and scholes is at the end at united......how likely would he drop down 2 divisions....

i would say if there was a remote chance of him coming here next year in the championship we should take it,or we could miss out and then just end up with another retired pro watching us in the main stands

If Scholes went to Fergie and the board and said I want to play for Latics next season I can not see them standing in his way and the contract would be cancelled by mutual consent, Scholes comes here and I can't see him getting paid (or asking for) much more than expenses. Everyone is a winner.

Whether this happens is highly doubtful but I can't see Scholes wanting to come here and play as a knackered old hasbeen, would most likely happen at the end of next season and I don't think it would matter to Scholes which division we were in.

:shock:

£25k a week! Trust me, that is farrrr farrrrrrrr more than we could ever offer him.... I honestly do not think there is a chance in hell we get him before the end of his contract... he will get his pension fund and then move on...

Then i'm sure its a case of seeing what he wants more... a nice little payday at about £20k with whomever comes up to the prem that season... or join us for £5k max in this division, or maybe up to £6/7k in the champ.... think we are in with a shot as he will have lots of pennise in the pot - and with his injuries h may want to stroll about the pitch a little for the club he loves at the ned of his career... however, I think an even mor elikely scenario would be that he is crocked and he calls it a day...

Trust me however... a strolling crocked Sholesy could do a job for us like a strolling crocked shez did for us....

Personally, I think what will happen is that he will be down here at the start of next season just as the transfer window is closing and he'll get a text off his dad to come help him do his driveway and we'll never see him again.

Or Doncaster will get a sniff and he'll go there.

lets just say for arguments sake.that we get into the playoffs this season,and we manage to get ourself promoted out of this :censored: of a league,finally......what would the chances of him buying out the remaining year of his contract and dropping down to help us be???? slim to non existent,or 50/50???

Quote: care to explain why not???

Well you gave me three options, and I replied with the option I honestly think is the correct one! non existent.

It appears most Latics fans have the opinion that Scholes is a honest man with integrity and for that simple reason I believe he'll honour his final year at ManUre. I honestly believe that the vast majority of footballers begin to get that tightening knot feeling in thier bellies that only the end of career in sight reality can cause. Now whether we want to believe it or not on this board that running out to a packed theatre of dreams for one more final year will hold quite a wrench. Lets not forget Scholes may well have sat in the stands watching Latics, he may well look for our results but, he'll have Man Ure firmly entrenched him his soul too.

Now should I touch on the money aspect or not? nope I didn't think I'd need to.

Taggart will not show him the door until the end of his contract and will not be making noises like a limited number of Scum fans.

At best 2009/2010 season for Scholes I believe.

Edited by Lags

of course theres doubt, I think best thing to do is wait and see, the lad has to think about securing his familys future first, so definately not till 2009/2010 even then i think he will be one of our highest paid players but nowhere near 25k a week,

best thing to do is wait till his contract is up, see what he says about his future, and latics declare their interest,

get shez to speak to him on the fone, and whilst shez is speaking to him, alan hardy should go outside with a shotgun, and check for the lesser spotted doncastonians who hang onto our phonelines tapping them.

get shez to speak to him on the fone, and whilst shez is speaking to him, alan hardy should go outside with a shotgun, and check for the lesser spotted doncastonians who hang onto our phonelines tapping them.

Hell, go and do the negotiations at his house - the mobile phone signal up there is bloomin awful.... then tell the locals to pitchfork anything wearing red and white... (could be trouble for any roughyeds)

Guest sheridans_world

Do the math, £75k a week every week for the last four years comes to £15,600,000

We know Scholes is a family man (reason stated as to why he quit England). I imagine 15.6M doesnt come close to his fortune. He'll come to latics and play for either nothing, or next to nothing. He has been quoted as saying he'll only ever play for United and Oldham.

He'll come, its just a case of when.

I think Lags has it right. Scholes and United will honour the final year of his contract. I can still see him having a part to play next season. So if he does come, it'll be 2009/10 - just in time for the opening of the new main stand! :grin:

I'm enjoying this little reverie. Scholes plunders goals and assists galore for love at boyhood club. In my fantasy, he pays to play as well. :grin:

Anyone remember Bobby Johnstone? Big name player came to Latics out of the blue and put thousands on the gate. In Oldham Athletic Complete Record 1899 - 1988 by Garth Dykes, Johnstone's pen picture is...

"An instant success at Boundary Park, Bobby Johnstone's instinctive ability to control the game from midfield and his brilliant knack of creating goals with a single defence-splitting pass soon had the crowd baying in appreciation. The highest Boundary Park attendance for six-and-a-half years (17,116) saw his debut game against Exeter City."

Sound like anyone you know?

So Latics fan and local boy comes home on a small basic with a cut of the gate :idea: and helps to secure the future of the club he supported as a boy......I think there would be extra people who would pay to come and watch him - A La Johnstone :mmm:

Just think.... He could buy the Tic's out and pick himself well into his forties. :grin:

Forties? I reckon he'll have the last say in the Tic's Champions League victory in the 40s, nevermind his forties. 1-0 win over ManUre, injury time goal from nothing. Unfortunately, I will be told about it by the nurse in my care home, which will be homely and a little smelly. She will tell me, but I won't know what she's talking about. All I'll want is that hard-to-come-by sixth sugar in my dishwater-cum-tea and a change of underwear.

Anyone remember Bobby Johnstone? Big name player came to Latics out of the blue and put thousands on the gate. In Oldham Athletic Complete Record 1899 - 1988 by Garth Dykes, Johnstone's pen picture is...

"An instant success at Boundary Park, Bobby Johnstone's instinctive ability to control the game from midfield and his brilliant knack of creating goals with a single defence-splitting pass soon had the crowd baying in appreciation. The highest Boundary Park attendance for six-and-a-half years (17,116) saw his debut game against Exeter City."

Sound like anyone you know?

So Latics fan and local boy comes home on a small basic with a cut of the gate :idea: and helps to secure the future of the club he supported as a boy......I think there would be extra people who would pay to come and watch him - A La Johnstone :mmm:

Good point

How much would Scholes put on the gate.

A good amount I would think

I still don't think he will come and play for nothing though. He will still want a good deal

I don't know where the £75k per year for X years has come from.

The biggest factor will be the insurers, how much will it cost to insure him to play, and will anyone. With IAG sponsoring them, they will have a big say