Have your say at the Q & A Evening.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sheridans_world
Totally incorrect , infact the opposite he "Over Invested" and that is what the problem was ............ when we didnt get promotion he then realised (Or was advised) that he would not recoup quickly is outlay.

BB : JWL brought some stability to the Club after the dark years , the ran it on a tight leash , selling players (as always) was (and still is)

Guys ............ the club has always (apart from the early 90's) lost money ............. crowds = not enough = loss + selling players = PROFIT !

Yes they kept us afloat, Moore didnt, whether he overinvested or not is not the point, he made the decision to pay high wages and he made the decision to stop funding them. JWL set the right wages to keep the club going.

BB80 - They kept us ticking over nicely. There is still alot of good feeling towards the club from inside JWL.

nothing said about if the club does not get permission to re build the ground ,the 3a would leave the club? can someone ltell me what is multiball?

No nothing said along those lines Bob. Alan Hardy seemed as confident as possible at this stage about the outcome of the planning applications.

Accrington had their own version of mutiball - they lost 10 balls over the stands during the game, including one whacked by Gregan after play had stopped - just because he felt like it! :ass3:

There is still alot of good feeling towards the club from inside JWL.

I bet there is - the company's links with the Club have proved very lucrative to the company over many years! Even if the Club had gone into liquidation JWL would have still remembered those lucrative days with great fondness.

JWL has such good feelings about the Clayton Arms that it's taken all the fixtures and fittings - possibly to set up a shrine it memory to the gold mine that it was. :toilet:

Yes they kept us afloat, Moore didnt, whether he overinvested or not is not the point, he made the decision to pay high wages and he made the decision to stop funding them. JWL set the right wages to keep the club going.

BB80 - They kept us ticking over nicely. There is still alot of good feeling towards the club from inside JWL.

By the sound of it, you know someone at JWL and I'm guessing you have been influenced by that version of events.

JWL provided finance by way of loans and these were all repaid as far as I am aware. Totally different from what was going on at other Clubs at the time where Boards were "investing" without expecting a return.

Moore got it wrong but he put money in (£5m) and never asked for it back. Similar to TTA who are currently funding our dreams by losing nearly £1m a year of their own cash.

Probably not a lot more to say on a Messageboard from me but we can talk sometime in the pub about the merits of JWL and OAFC!

Multi ball is were every ball boy has a ball around the pitch so they can keep play going when the ball goes out for a throw in etc .

Think the FL have started the licence system to regulate its use... and make money :wink:

thanks , multiball sounds a great idea for all clubs it will keep the game flowing ,and much better for the team too ,when sometimes the team have to wait 2mins to get a new ball , i remember at shrewsburys old ground ,when the ball wentout of the ground into the nearby river ,there was a rowing boat!! ready to get the ball ,but it took 3mins to get the ball back , so multiball is a must for all clubs ..

Eh? Well right up to the point when he sold all our best players off on the cheap and stuck the money in his back pocket.

He didnt get all his money back though - no where near the amount he put in. Which is no bad thing considering the mess he left us in

Eh? Well right up to the point when he sold all our best players off on the cheap and stuck the money in his back pocket.

I think you will find that the money went to pay off the Club's overdraft.

I'm not going to defend the guy because he ruined the Club but if all he was bothered about was getting quick cash (for himself), why did he sell Fitz Hall to Southampton for a smaller fee (but with a big sell-on clause which eventually netted OAFC a further £750k) when he had a higher cash offer from elsewhere?

Incidentally, Dowie wanted to take the higher cash offer as it meant he got a bigger cut. This was about the time he was accusing Jarvis and Joy of "lining their own pockets".

...multiball sounds a great idea for all clubs it will keep the game flowing...

Alan Hardy asked Shez before the season started whether the Club should apply for the necessary licence. Apprently if officials think it is being abused (presumably if fewer balls were available when the home club was in the lead) the licence could be revoked. Shez said some of the players had asked for multiball, but on balance he thought it wasn't worth it.

He said he never ceases to be amazed at how long players wait to take a throw-in. He tells them to take throw-ins quickly whenever possible, like the top clubs do, but do the players take any notice.............you've guessed it - do they hell!

I'm not going to defend the guy because he ruined the Club but if all he was bothered about was getting quick cash (for himself), why did he sell Fitz Hall to Southampton for a smaller fee (but with a big sell-on clause which eventually netted OAFC a further £750k) when he had a higher cash offer from elsewhere?

Incidentally, Dowie wanted to take the higher cash offer as it meant he got a bigger cut. This was about the time he was accusing Jarvis and Joy of "lining their own pockets".

From I remember at the time IC Cardiff and Everton both had higher fee's accepted but Fitz was already talking to Southampton and went there (since his girlfriend lived down there), Moore's sis and mate approved the deal. The selling of Armstrong to Sheff Utd was more cloudy (trying to think of a word that won't get me sued) with Moore's business partner on their board.

Moore could have killed the club any time that summer, it might feel better to think that the transfer and season ticket money went into his back pocket but in reality what he did kept us going.

From I remember at the time IC Cardiff and Everton both had higher fee's accepted but Fitz was already talking to Southampton and went there (since his girlfriend lived down there), Moore's sis and mate approved the deal. The selling of Armstrong to Sheff Utd was more cloudy (trying to think of a word that won't get me sued) with Moore's business partner on their board.

Moore could have killed the club any time that summer, it might feel better to think that the transfer and season ticket money went into his back pocket but in reality what he did kept us going.

I wasn't aware of the Everton deal but I'm sure the move to Cardiff was brokered by Bob Dowie. Might be wrong on that one though but I know at the time it was for more cash but without any "sell on" clause. The Stretch deal was "unusual" as you say but at the time, the bottom had fallen out of the transfer market which is why we were forced to give away high earners like Clint Hill. Getting those highly paid players off the books was a necessary evil although of course Dowie used the Chron to paint a different story. There was one too many ego at Boundary Park at the time.

You are right in that Moore could have seen us wiped off the map at any time should he have so desired. Money like the £175k for Josh Low kept us going for another few weeks and then the Fitz Hall windfall was very warmly received when he went to Palace.

The guy ripped the backside out of our Club and did many bad things. There is a lot though that he could have done and the fact he didn't is why we are still watching OAFC today.

Thankfully, not all owners and Chairmen are like Moore seeking a quick thrill and we are so lucky to have been taken over by sensible guys like TTA.

Guest oa_exile

Sorry to be an arse mate but i think it was £165K ? , anyway in between all this , Onesize had a move to Wiggun for £1M in the pipeline and this finished up as £250K to Soton as they club needed rapid money.

Sorry to be an arse mate but i think it was £165K ? , anyway in between all this , Onesize had a move to Wiggun for £1M in the pipeline and this finished up as £250K to Soton as they club needed rapid money.

Never apologise for being an arse mate! :)

You are right, J-Low went for £165k. I think that the "Fitz to Wigan for a million pies" move was all paper talk though. Fitz went from Southampton to Palace for £1.5m and we got 25% of that I think - ie £375k and not the £750k I mentioned earlier.

I knew it was a fair wedge though and an unexpected bonus that we had not been expecting!

Anyway, enough of the Moore days. My flesh is beginning to crawl! :o

Are you sure we would have recieved any of this? The contracts of Hall etc. were held by Oldham Athletic, not the newly formed Oldham Athletic 2004. Did the transfer take place before or after the new club was formed?

Would it be classed as an asset which would have been transferred with ownership? Under which owners did Richards go to Citeh?

Would it be classed as an asset which would have been transferred with ownership? Under which owners did Richards go to Citeh?

Yeah good point; I'm guessing because the club have mentioned the Richards windfall then player contracts are transferrable assets. In which case we must have recieved the Fitz Hall money.

I think the point is being missed here....yes, they had to sell to keep the club afloat etc but even still by the time the Premiership came along? They couldn't have stopped taking out of the club, for a long term gain? It's widely known Royle went begging to JWL in the season we went down, but did they cough up? Nope....JWL could've been somebody else in the 80's...someone with a bit of sense that would've laid out a plan to keep us up in the Prem...instead of take, take, take till it gave and then when we went down, they carried it on. Sharp left penniless and having to buy s.h.. that took us down again. Thanks a lot JWL! Maybe it's more guilt than "good feeling".

Why sell him to Southampton? Coz Hall flatly refused to go where the higher fee was, Cardiff. Also, nobody has mentioned the Season Ticket scam M**re ran....again, pocketing the money and leaving the club penniless over the summer as he cut off the bloodline.

And incidentally, when Dowie accused Jarvis and Joy this was over the Chris Armstrong transfer (old discussion between you and I, IC but still...) which J & J orchestrated, while at the same time Jarvis was penning himself a 3-yr contract (when apparently no contracts were) being handed out. Armstrongs sale all happening while Dowie stood waiting for him on the training pitch, 5 days before Chris Hall's sale. I presume at that point, Dowie thought "f'em!" And I can't blame him for one second...esp if I thought the club was going bust owing me a million quid in bonuses.

Why sell him to Southampton? Coz Hall flatly refused to go where the higher fee was, Cardiff. Also, nobody has mentioned the Season Ticket scam M**re ran....again, pocketing the money and leaving the club penniless over the summer as he cut off the bloodline.

And incidentally, when Dowie accused Jarvis and Joy this was over the Chris Armstrong transfer (old discussion between you and I, IC but still...) which J & J orchestrated, while at the same time Jarvis was penning himself a 3-yr contract (when apparently no contracts were) being handed out. Armstrongs sale all happening while Dowie stood waiting for him on the training pitch, 5 days before Chris Hall's sale. I presume at that point, Dowie thought "f'em!" And I can't blame him for one second...esp if I thought the club was going bust owing me a million quid in bonuses.

We didn't agree on this when talking about it in the pub Ross so I doubt much has changed. :)

Don't want to go over old ground but Dowie was offered a new contract several times. He knew it would weaken his position (regarding a signing on fee at his next Club) and so refused to sign one meaning OAFC were deprived of compensation. We would have got a fair bit as I understand he was by far and away the highest paid Manager in our League at the time. TTA offered him a new contract as well but once again, he wasn't interested as his CV was on the desk of every Chairman in Britain despite telling everyone that he was going nowhere.

Dowie knew the Club had gone bust and still tried to screw us for bonuses when he hadn't even got a contract. A million quid eh for a 3rd division manager who achieved nothing of consequence? I know that you have sources at Latics but don't forget that Dowie has been proved in Court to be a liar.

As for the Season Ticket money, probably no one has mentioned it for fear of breaking the libel laws? Do you know that is true or is it another Urban Myth?

Anyway, like I say, we've had some enjoyable debates about this in the past so I'm going to leave it there! :)

We didn't agree on this when talking about it in the pub Ross so I doubt much has changed. :)

Don't want to go over old ground but Dowie was offered a new contract several times. He knew it would weaken his position (regarding a signing on fee at his next Club) and so refused to sign one meaning OAFC were deprived of compensation. We would have got a fair bit as I understand he was by far and away the highest paid Manager in our League at the time. TTA offered him a new contract as well but once again, he wasn't interested as his CV was on the desk of every Chairman in Britain despite telling everyone that he was going nowhere.

Dowie knew the Club had gone bust and still tried to screw us for bonuses when he hadn't even got a contract. A million quid eh for a 3rd division manager who achieved nothing of consequence? I know that you have sources at Latics but don't forget that Dowie has been proved in Court to be a liar.

As for the Season Ticket money, probably no one has mentioned it for fear of breaking the libel laws? Do you know that is true or is it another Urban Myth?

Anyway, like I say, we've had some enjoyable debates about this in the past so I'm going to leave it there! :)

Not got time to reply in full as off out, but Dowie didn't want to be anywhere near SJ and was desperate to get out because of it. That and many other reasons. And the £1m owed was what was in his contract for getting us to the playoffs...the same one that TTA were to be honouring supposedly once they took over. They didn't. The rest is history. As you say, we've done this one to death privately. Just thought I'd put a bit of balance to it in publicly.

Not got time to reply in full as off out, but Dowie didn't want to be anywhere near SJ and was desperate to get out because of it. As you say, we've done this one to death privately. Just thought I'd put a bit of balance to it in publicly.

No worries mate. Have a nice night and don't go spouting off on here when you come back in rat-arsed. :wink:

See you at Walsall and we can carry the debate on then. :)