lee hughes

Putting aside my opinion on Hughes, he did nothing of note on Saturday apart from constantly fouling the defenders and moaning to the ref.

People seeing things that weren't there.

Don't think he did much on Saturday.

Can only be as good as the service to him, which was absolutely dire.

Putting aside my opinion on Hughes, he did nothing of note on Saturday apart from constantly fouling the defenders and moaning to the ref.

Now I (rather unfashionably) thought the ref had a decent first half, although he lost it in the second. But even first half he was blowing the whistle against Hughes every time he waited for a high ball, without even attempting to use his strength to hold the defender off. And are you really saying you didn't see him make any quality runs? He is a class above anything we've had for a long time.

On a slight aside, did anyone see what lead to him giving the "mouth" sign to the ref? I guessed that one of the Southend players was reminding him of his past but I didn't see it. There was no sign of him rising to any provocation, fair play to him

coco you do astound me ..

you seat no more than 10 seats away from me, yet we see very different games 95% of the time.

some of the things the ref pulled him up on were a joke !

Oh really, so you are the original all seeing eye then? You chose not to see, because you're only ever going to watch the guy with one eye, others are wrong and your bob on, quality Coco you seriously couldn't make it up.

McDonald was cheered off on Sat yet put in a far better shift, hell he even had more than one shot on goal, yet Hughes received a standing ovation.

Did he deserve that for what he did at the weekend?

Edited by Senor_Coconut

On a slight aside, did anyone see what lead to him giving the "mouth" sign to the ref? I guessed that one of the Southend players was reminding him of his past but I didn't see it. There was no sign of him rising to any provocation, fair play to him

yup, saw the exact same thing. No idea what caused it though, just glad he didn't react to it and I must admit the ref did seem to have it in for him

McDonald was cheered off on Sat yet put in a far better shift, hell he even had more than one shot on goal, yet Hughes received a standing ovation.

He he deserve that for what he did at the weekend?

Granted the standing ovation was probably more of a show of support to the guy!!, rather than saying he was excellent. (no probs in that surely?) However Hughes did something in the game that seems to be devoid of many other players on saturday - a willingness to get across his defender in the box.

A bit more of that and we wouldn't have the problem scoring like we are.

A few games and he will prove to be a very good signing.

Just to p**s everyone off, I'd love Lee Hughes to be top scorer in League One this season. Yeah I know that's a bit too optimistic but it'd still be incredibly funny.

Back to reality, I reckon he could score quite a few for us, his performance was pretty good and he certainly puts in a lot of effort which is brilliant considering this is only his second match and he's only had a few training sessions. Give him a bit of time and he'll be absolute class

Just to p**s everyone off, I'd love Lee Hughes to be top scorer in League One this season. Yeah I know that's a bit too optimistic but it'd still be incredibly funny.

Back to reality, I reckon he could score quite a few for us, his performance was pretty good and he certainly puts in a lot of effort which is brilliant considering this is only his second match and he's only had a few training sessions. Give him a bit of time and he'll be absolute class

I'd love any of our players to be top scorer.

Not going to happen with how were playing-long ball wise.

And the service they are getting from the midfield.

Did he deserve that for what he did at the weekend?

Well first off I didn't cheer when McDonald went off, and I didn't get involved in the adulation for Hughes either.

The fact that you think McDonald did anything on saturday really sums it all up, he was anonymous from kick off to substitution.

LL, I agree with what you say about the ref, he was gunning for Hughes from the get go, but I'm afraid thats going to happen time and again.

He looked real class, and in a few games he'll be making something out of those times where a little trick in the box might have bought him a chance.

Real class? The only thing he looked was nowhere near ready for the first team of a professional outfit.

He put 100% effort in, but thats all. He did nothing of note, did not deserve a standing ovation or his name chanted. In fact, on Saturday none of them deserved their name chanting.

Well first off I didn't cheer when McDonald went off, and I didn't get involved in the adulation for Hughes either.

The fact that you think McDonald did anything on saturday really sums it all up, he was anonymous from kick off to substitution.

LL, I agree with what you say about the ref, he was gunning for Hughes from the get go, but I'm afraid thats going to happen time and again.

got to agree with you stipe - if Mr coco thought macca did betta than hughes then he defo was not at the same game -

I don't think McDonald was great at all, but I think he did more than Hughes and had more attempts on goal than Hughes (not exactly hard though).

Guest sheridans_world
I don't think McDonald was great at all, but I think he did more than Hughes and had more attempts on goal than Hughes (not exactly hard though).

Now Coco you are getting your type of players mixed up. Thats not a good thing to do.

You see Hughes is a poacher. This means if he gets the ball in the box, he scores. Macdonald is a midfielder which means if he cant do anything with the ball he has a shot. That can quite easily mean that Macca has more shots on target than Hughes but Hughes will score more.

Macca didnt deserve to be booed off, no player does. It was Hughes first home match, the applause is to show our support for him.