Gregan's programme notes

At the start of the Season (and during the friendlies), many were saying that Gregan had lost at least a stone in weight during the Summer. That was confirmed by OAFC but let's not allow facts to get in the way.

Have a look and listen next time you are at Latics. Most of those calling Gregan "fat" are at least 3 stone overweight and couldn't run to save their lives. These are the same guys who call Ricketts "fat". Don't know if you saw him "shirtless" at Burnley but there are many who would kill to get a physique like him.

If Gregan could play week in week out at the level he showed during his loan spell, then he wouldn't be here - he would be a regular in The Championship. His performance yesterday was good though - alongside Hazell, he was MOM for me - but still that is not good enough for some who want to see him dropped.

i think you might find thats why shez offered him a contract,on the basis of what he showed during his loan spell.not on the basis of what he's producing now.as for MOM, dear me

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you might find thats why shez offered him a contract,on the basis of what he showed during his loan spell.not on the basis of what he's producing now.as for MOM, dear me

I say again. If he were capable of playing like that week in week out then he would have been signing for a Championship Team and not Oldham.

He made mistakes during his "purple" loan spell too and fans saw what we wanted then just like some are doing at the moment.

You obviously thought he was useless yesterday since you think he "deserved some stick" so what did he do wrong?

think it was very difficult to pick MOM but if you had to probably Hazell for me - IMO dont think Gregan is as bad as people making out at all thought he has been a man mountain in a couple of games.

Fans aren't stupid? Sorry but out of 5000, then I reckon we easily have our fair share.

Alongside Hazell yesterday, he was arguably the best player in an Oldham Shirt. My opinion yes - but also plenty of others.

Yesterday though and like several times this Season, people are trying to pick fault even where Gregan has played well. You and a couple of others have blamed him for the Southend goal yesterday. He was beaten by an excellent piece of skill from their striker who lifted the ball over his head. Same could have happened to Ferdinand or Terry. The finger of blame could also have been pointed at Hazell for missing the initial header; Thompson for being in no man's land or Crossley for being beaten at his near post. But oh no - let's find fault in Gregan because it suits and is the flavour of the month. To be honest, it was a well crafted and very well taken goal.

The only other thing I saw him do wrong yesterday was misplace a pass at the start of the second half. So come on then - what did I miss? I read elsewhere that he was a liability yesterday and should be dropped because of his poor performance. Sorry but that is complete crap.

He's not played as well as he can for sure this season bar Burnley (first half); Accrington (second half) and yesterday, but as I've said repeatedly, his "average" is better than most other players. Also, if he were playing at a consistently high level, then he would not be wearing an Oldham Shirt.

There are far worse problems than Gregan at the moment but it seems many of our fans are hell-bent on trying to make him the scapegoat for everything despite the fact that most others realise he played pretty well yesterday.

The problems were not in defence but with our strikers and attacking options from midfield.

think the reason gregan gets it more than most is because of his arrogance,the way he struts around thinking he's brilliant,his ego's nearly as big as his arse, when as you've stated he's just an average centre half.i don't want average i want above average playing for my club.

think the reason gregan gets it more than most is because of his arrogance,the way he struts around thinking he's brilliant,his ego's nearly as big as his arse, when as you've stated he's just an average centre half.i don't want average i want above average playing for my club.

I said his average makes him better than most players. Big difference.

So what did he do wrong yesterday to make him "underperform"?

I think this is being viewed in totally the wrong way....

As I was on holiday, I don't know what the abuse was from the fans behind the goal. Personally, I think we've got a lot of fans who overstep the mark quite a lot at abusing players during games. Now if Gregan said this over more than just one game, the Accrington game, I'd be fully with him. However, as it happens, it appears to me that the abuse the fans gave was the kick up the ricker that the overpaid so and so's required. I've posted once before this year about how I've lost all belief that us fans can be the 12th man through our passionate support. I still give it and have got repeatedly disappointed that the players have very rarely raised themselves to it. Gregans comments generally would, IMO, be acceptable about our fans but if he's solely barking about that Accy game well the proof, unfortunately was in the pudding. It got the desired response....let's not need have to need to resort to that again eh! I've never sounded off during 90mins and hope I never do. But if others sound off Mr Gregan, to the tune it angers you.....you do something about it on the pitch then to shut them up! It's what you're paid for!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Guest oa_exile
As I was on holiday, I don't know what the abuse was from the fans behind the goal.

2:0 down to a club at the time which was bottom of the football league , added to that a first half performance i can honestly say rated as one of the worst performances I have ever seen for a long time.

Lets just say that words were said and people were pretty irrate by HT , so its does not surprise me that the players heard ,especially at HT walking off.

2:0 down to a club at the time which was bottom of the football league , added to that a first half performance i can honestly say rated as one of the worst performances I have ever seen for a long time.

Lets just say that words were said and people were pretty irrate by HT , so its does not surprise me that the players heard ,especially at HT walking off.

And thankfully, had the desired effect....says lots IMO.

Guest sheridans_world
How many times have we said things long the lines that WE'LL be here long after players, owners and whoever else has gone? Gregan is recognizing the same thing, it's ourselves that we are hurting when we go over the line in abusing people we are on the pitch, or for that matter going over programme notes in forensic detail looking for a reason to scapegoat someone who is in fact saying that he wants to do well for us.

The people at Accrington wernt fans, they were adding a new stadium onto their circuit.

You know this is the case when you hear shouts of 'Number 23 you should be marking him'. In this case that being Trotman.

The fact that these people dont even know the players names says it all.

While i dont agree with Gregan having this 'Us' and 'Them' mentality i do think he should be careful and say 'some sections of the crowd' because i'll tell you now, i was clapping the lads off. My mentality is this: Whats the point in booing a team off the pitch at half time? They will come out even worse for it. Applaud them off and try and get them going and they might just do something special.

The sooner other so called 'fans' understand this, the better.

Just as a final point, alothough there are the 'negative' fans on here, i doubt there are more than three or four that booed the lads of at Accrington. The majority who booed dont love their club enough to post regular on a latics forum.

Edited by sheridans_world

Some of the people who go to watch Latics are nothing like fans, they go solely to moan at anyone and anything and just purely to vent their spleens, I think in some respects they dont like the team to win and play well as they have nothing and nobody to moan at.

Gregan is right with his comments if some fans put as much energy into supporting the team as they do into their moaning and abuse of players, we as a club would be much better off.

Gregan has definately lost weight over the summer, he was not solely at fault for the goal on Saturday and for me had a good game, only Hazell was better on the day IMO.

Our problems on Saturday weren't defensive problems, we played with a midfield which without Kilkenny or Wellens is totally deviod of ideas, Allott and Kalala are both terrier like ball winning midfielders neither has the vision of a Kilkenny or Wellens and can't produce that killer pass to unlock a defence. McDonald was just a passenger the whole game (I dont know whats wrong with this lad but he looks to have just gone as a player).

Up front we are really struggling, Hughes is understandably miles off the pace (he is nowhere near ready for first team football yet). Davies is having to do it all on his own which you can see is frustrating him and causing him to constantly try and do to much, he desperately needs support up front (and I dont mean from Ricketts) maybe its time to give Wolfy a few games, we cant do any worse than we currently are doing.

Edited by Hometownclub

I thought his comments were totally disgusting, people had come out on a Tuesday night and were treated to a terrible first half performance. Greagan in particular was awful in the first half at Accrington, the biggest problem I have with him is that he is a good player but he strolls around like he is Franz Beckenbauer thinking he is too good for this league, I'm sorry but when an Accrington Stanley centre forward is running you ragged its time to pull your finger out and start trying.

Has anyone considered that his comments might not have been about abuse towards him, but towards other members of the team (him being captain and all). If he sees members of the squad who are finding it hard to fit into a new team and who are getting constant stick from the crowd, maybe it's his job to point out that it's not helpfull.

Guest sheridans_world
Has anyone considered that his comments might not have been about abuse towards him, but towards other members of the team (him being captain and all). If he sees members of the squad who are finding it hard to fit into a new team and who are getting constant stick from the crowd, maybe it's his job to point out that it's not helpfull.

I think it was Trotman (who was the best player on the pitch vs. Accrington) that a load of people were being racist towards.

Looks like you were spot on with that comment LL.

Gregan rounds on the snipers

Latics round up, by Michael Yarwood

SEAN GREGAN has hit out at Athletic’s boo-boys after hearing personal abuse from the crowd.

The team captain admitted fans had a reason to be frustrated, but he also asked for more patience – especially where young players are concerned.

Gregan said: “I must say some of the abuse the lads got at Accrington (in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy) was wrong.

“Fans pay their money and they are entitled to make comments like ‘Gregan your are rubbish’ and ‘Crossley you are rubbish’, but some overstepped the line when we went 2-0 down.

“It’s not right because we are not there to get personal abuse, and some of the stuff coming from behind the goal was totally out of order.

“Football is about opinions, but players don’t make mistakes on purpose.

You can shout what you want at people like me and Crossley – we’ve heard it for 15 years – but if they do it to the younger kids it will just break them.

“You will just lose them and I’ve seen it before. You should not make the abuse personal.”

Gregan and his side produced a second-half recovery at the Fraser Eagle Stadium and eventually beat Accrington 3-2.

Maybe. As we saw with England, it is about pairings and not necessarily the best individuals.

What we have been missing all Season is a reliable and well matched pair of Centre Backs. I think that Gregan and Hazell played well together yesterday and the combination will probably get better the more games they play as a partnership.

I was very impressed with Hazell yesterday.

So was I. Thought he played very steadily and covered well for the back line when required. Gregan is the club captain and has his own column in the programme. He should be allowed to express his thoughts and if we don't like it we can reply through such areas as this forum. I am sure that some of the players read it to see how we are feeling. With regard to Hazell, I heard he hadn't played for over a month prior to Satdi. Is this true? if it is then he played very very well Satdi...

With regard to Hazell, I heard he hadn't played for over a month prior to Satdi. Is this true? if it is then he played very very well Satdi...

Which worryingly shows how desperate a move it was to play him......however, the one thing I did say early on during the game was how lean he looked....got to say, if he's been clubless for a month and still kept up a high level of fitness (as it seems he has) that's some dedication....arguably, the sort we need!

Which worryingly shows how desperate a move it was to play him......however, the one thing I did say early on during the game was how lean he looked....got to say, if he's been clubless for a month and still kept up a high level of fitness (as it seems he has) that's some dedication....arguably, the sort we need!

Have you heard whether any of our other players have been giving the 'clubs' a miss? :wink: