A Little Over Ten Years Ago....

Guest sheridans_world

Guest sheridans_world

league9798.jpg

So just over ten years ago, that is how Football League Division Two finished.

Just shows what can happen in 10 Years.

Few to note: York City, dropped the lowest from the class of 97/98. Fulham (arguably) have done the best.

While all other teams have either be relegated or promoted, we are the only team to have stayed in this division.

Back then the squad looked something like this:

• Gary Kelly
  • Jon Halworth
  • Carl Serrant
  • Gunner Halle
  • David Beresford
  • Nicky Banger
  • Danny Boxall
  • Craig Fleming
  • Nick Henry
  • Mark Hotte
  • Ronnie Jepson
  • Adrain Littlejohn (Little :censored: injuring Les)
  • Lee Richardson
  • Lee Sinnot
  • Ian Snodin
  • Phil Starbuck
  • Tommy Wright
  • Matthew Rush
  • Steve Redmond
  • Ian Ormondroyd
  • David Miskelly
  • Sean McCarthy
  • Stuart Barlow
One of the reasons I chose this particular season is because these are the first players I remember, while I attended matches previously (and remember bits) this group of players were the first ones I truly remember playing at BP. While not being succesful as a squad, some of them had served at BP during the 'glory days' and had known success, however, I distinctly remember the game that we got relegated after just over 10 years ago, I went all through the 96/97 season and only remember a few snippets, that game being one of the biggest memories.

I have never known a sucessful Oldham Athletic. Yet I support the club through everything, I want them to do well, I always cheer the players, whatever their background is, I have the passion and the desire that many at BP lack.

Maybe some of the older and wiser people at Boundary Park could stop moaning about 'the good old days' and how good we 'used to be' and start cheering the players because some, like myself, have never seen the same success and wont do while people reminise about what has been and gone. For your children and grandchildren, let them experience what you did only 15 years ago, cheer the lads on and lets see this club rise once more.

We are here for one reason, we follow the club for one reason. WE WANT SUCCESS!

COME ON YOU BLUES.

Edited by sheridans_world

Maybe some of the older and wiser people at Boundary Park could stop moaning about 'the good old days' and how good we 'used to be' and start cheering the players because some, like myself, have never seen the same success and wont do while people reminise about what has been and gone. For your children and grandchildren, let them experience what you did only 15 years ago, cheer the lads on and lets see this club rise once more.

I moan that I missed the glory days!! :lol:

league9798.jpg

So just over ten years ago, that is how Football League Division Two finished.

Just shows what can happen in 10 Years.

Few to note: York City, dropped the lowest from the class of 97/98. Fulham (arguably) have done the best.

While all other teams have either be relegated or promoted, we are the only team to have stayed in this division.

Back then the squad looked something like this:

• Gary Kelly
  • Jon Halworth
  • Carl Serrant
  • Gunner Halle
  • David Beresford
  • Nicky Banger
  • Danny Boxall
  • Craig Fleming
  • Nick Henry
  • Mark Hotte
  • Ronnie Jepson
  • Adrain Littlejohn (Little :censored: injuring Les)
  • Lee Richardson
  • Lee Sinnot
  • Ian Snodin
  • Phil Starbuck
  • Tommy Wright
  • Matthew Rush
  • Steve Redmond
  • Ian Ormondroyd
  • David Miskelly
  • Sean McCarthy
  • Stuart Barlow
One of the reasons I chose this particular season is because these are the first players I remember, while I attended matches previously (and remember bits) this group of players were the first ones I truly remember playing at BP. While not being succesful as a squad, some of them had served at BP during the 'glory days' and had known success, however, I distinctly remember the game that we got relegated after just over 10 years ago, I went all through the 96/97 season and only remember a few snippets, that game being one of the biggest memories.

I have never known a sucessful Oldham Athletic. Yet I support the club through everything, I want them to do well, I always cheer the players, whatever their background is, I have the passion and the desire that many at BP lack.

COME ON YOU BLUES.

Totally agree. It's a very similar to me. The first season I remember following Latics was towards the end of the 94/95 season when I was 6 and success has certainly been scarce since then. But one thing I will never tolerate is the people who have seen the "pinch me years" only looking back and believing that the glory days have been and gone, because it seems very apathetic and selfish to me. Am I being unrealistic? Maybe, but there is such a fine line in this case between being realistic and accepting defeat that I think it is much more simple to believe that things will come good again for us!

KtF

COME ON YOU BLUES.

I don't want to pour cold water on your comments as I know you mean well and I can't fault your sentiment that we all want success.

I'm wondering about your reference to the "older and wiser people at BP". I want to make it clear I'm not talking about your comment on a personal level in relation to my age and/or wisdom. I presume the "people at BP" to whom you refer are the fans rather than staff. I don't know whether you are assuming that all older fans are wiser, or you are refering to older fans and wiser fans. Let's call them very long-suffering fans. They have followed the club through 'thin' and 'thin', but been lucky enough to have experiened a few seasons of 'thick'.

Anyway, you say that these people moan about 'the good old days' and how we 'used to be'. I must say that I never hear any such comments at matches. If the very long-suffering fans are still going to BP, I can't believe they pay their money just to talk about seasons past. What satisfaction would they get from that. The ones who stay at home probably think along those lines, but not those who continue to keep the Faith at BP.

However, if you're refering to very long-suffering fans talking about the 'good old days' before and after matches, then I plead guilty to that, but I think people generally are interested to hear about those days. It's known as the history of the club, as seen through a fan's eyes. If you know your history, it's enough to make your heart go whoooooaahhh!!!

Do we stop talking about Latics' legends on OWTB? Do we stop mentioning songs we used to sing to the rafters of the Chaddy End? I might be guilty of repeating my Latics' anecdotes, but I would be very disillusioned if today's Latics' fans wanted no mention of past glories, even though they have been few in number.

You say that people like yourself, have never seen the same success and won't do while people reminisce about what has been and gone. You can't mean that, because very long-suffering fans reminiscing about the past cannot possibly prevent you from experiencing success with Latics. The Faith we all keep, short-sufferers and long-sufferers alike, is for one day to realise dreams of promotion and/or cup success.

It's going to continue to be a roller-coaster ride, but there are enough seats available for younger and older fans to travel along together, whether wise or not, without anyone being discarded overboard.

i have to agree with diego - the longsuffering fans have seen times like this before so we have not always had it good - no disrespect diego but you probably started watching us before me - i started in 1977 - when i was 5/6 and we had a few lean years in between then and the "pinch me years"

My owd fella for instance who still goes home and away still talks about division four days - so this aint nothing new to some fans but we are still here.

i will talk about good and bad times just the same but please dont let our memories of the good times fade away - it s part of who we are

Edited by neiladamsheadband

i have to agree with diego - the longsuffering fans have seen times like this before so we have not always had it good - no direspect diego but you probably started watching us before me - i started in 1977 - when i was 5/6 and we had a few lean years in between then and the "pinch me years"

My owd fella for instance who still goes home and away still talks about division four days - so this aint nothing new to some fans but we are still here.

i will talk about good and bad times just the same but please dont let our memories of the good times fade away - it s part of who we are

Fascinating posts about our history. My first game was in 1958 as an 8 year old so I am older but not necessarily wiser. There have been dreadful years ...late 50's late 60's ..in between was the Booby Johnstone BertLister era with 14000+ at BP ..but that was Div 4. Looking back the best years were arguably when we were rock solid in Div 2 under Frizz, but even then there were some hair raisingly bad starts and flirtation with relegation. Yes the prem and cup years were brilliant, but realistically I would now settle for a solid championship side, and hard as that may be to imagine I still think/hope this will be possible.

To my shame I lost faith under Sharpe, Talbot (especially) and Ronnie Moore, watching limited games with increasing despair. At least last season, we were watching a side that tried to play decent football and I still believe that under Shez, we can come good. He admits himself he is still learning and his honesty and no bull approach is admirable.

In summary it is our history that raises us above (with respect) the likes of Stockport, Tranmere etc..and when things are tough that history helps in keeping the faith.

Guest oa_exile
Fascinating posts about our history. My first game was in 1958 as an 8 year old so I am older but not necessarily wiser. There have been dreadful years ...late 50's late 60's ..in between was the Booby Johnstone BertLister era with 14000+ at BP ..but that was Div 4. Looking back the best years were arguably when we were rock solid in Div 2 under Frizz, but even then there were some hair raisingly bad starts and flirtation with relegation. Yes the prem and cup years were brilliant, but realistically I would now settle for a solid championship side, and hard as that may be to imagine I still think/hope this will be possible.

To my shame I lost faith under Sharpe, Talbot (especially) and Ronnie Moore, watching limited games with increasing despair. At least last season, we were watching a side that tried to play decent football and I still believe that under Shez, we can come good. He admits himself he is still learning and his honesty and no bull approach is admirable.

In summary it is our history that raises us above (with respect) the likes of Stockport, Tranmere etc..and when things are tough that history helps in keeping the faith.

Excellent post Eddy ! , i was a little later and started watching the boys in the early 70's as a ten year old , was lucky in that it didnt take long for me to see Glory when we won the 3rd Division in 1973-74.

My owd fella still goes to the games with me and your right when everything is going bad he always says about "the dreadful years ...of late 50's late 60's .."

Spot on with "Looking back the best years were arguably when we were rock solid in Div 2 under Frizz"......"and I would now settle for a solid championship side".

Excellent post Eddy ! , i was a little later and started watching the boys in the early 70's as a ten year old , was lucky in that it didnt take long for me to see Glory when we won the 3rd Division in 1973-74.

My owd fella still goes to the games with me and your right when everything is going bad he always says about "the dreadful years ...of late 50's late 60's .."

Spot on with "Looking back the best years were arguably when we were rock solid in Div 2 under Frizz"......"and I would now settle for a solid championship side".

We probably started going around the same time Exile and while the promotion of 73/74 came early, there then followed many turgid years in the old Division 2 (today's Championship).

I know what S_W was getting at but realistically, I don't think any of us old-timers see the pinch me years as the norm. Yes we had some success but it was living a dream and punching above our weight. I was lucky enough to see those years but I'm certainly not expecting more of the same particularly with our dwindling Crowds and the disparity that TV money has created.

Exile is spot on and what most of us probably want is a return to Division 2 and to be a solid team. Realistically, we will not get into The Premier League because of the money involved in the game now. I've said it before and I'll say it again though, in my view, The championship now is a higher average standard than the Premier League that we played in.

Thanks for that O A.exile. Wonder when your old fellas first game was. Bet he is grey haired and twitchy like me ... the Latics has that effect long term. My old fella (now watching Latics from above rest his soul) used to rave about Eric Gemmell and his gravity defying jumping ability (for headers I hasten to add)

Guest oa_exile
Thanks for that O A.exile. Wonder when your old fellas first game was. Bet he is grey haired and twitchy like me ... the Latics has that effect long term. My old fella (now watching Latics from above rest his soul) used to rave about Eric Gemmell and his gravity defying jumping ability (for headers I hasten to add)

My Dad is 65 Mate , retired this year.Spot on again with the grey and twitchy but you forgot the bald bit as well :grin:

My old fella (now watching Latics from above rest his soul) used to rave about Eric Gemmell and his gravity defying jumping ability (for headers I hasten to add)

Here's the great Eric Gemmell, courtesy of Stewart W. Beckett's book 'Keeping The Dream Alive'.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1431/139769...ee1ccc1.jpg?v=0

Guest sheridans_world

No disrespect to Deigo, Exile or I_C but i dont mean you lot.

You are fans and realists, you are the ones that dont moan at every game week in week out. I may just be in a bad seat for it but i certainatley get the feeling that some of the people who saw the scences from the pinch me era still want us to play as well as that week in week out. There is a lot of moaning about how our team isnt good enough.

You are fans and realists, you are the ones that dont moan at every game week in week out. I may just be in a bad seat for it but i certainatley get the feeling that some of the people who saw the scences from the pinch me era still want us to play as well as that week in week out. There is a lot of moaning about how our team isnt good enough.

there right in one respect though.this team isnt good enough is it.

my first game was in 72 season,when i was 5!!

rodger wylde,now he could defy gravity with his hanging in mid air jumps.

and yes i remember the pinch me years very fondly,and some of the players we had really did have a never say die attitude and spirit,you just knew if we went 1 or even 2 down we would pull it back.

but they certainly were'nt the norm.they were extrodinary.

the norm is how we know it,mid table mediocraty for the most part,with the odd flirtation with the top 6,and more than enough of flirting with the bottom 4.

its a lifelong commitment,players come and go,good and bad,but at the end of the day the fans will always be there,and you can never take away there memories,its part of the clubs legacy

there right in one respect though.this team isnt good enough is it.

my first game was in 72 season,when i was 5!!

rodger wylde,now he could defy gravity with his hanging in mid air jumps.

and yes i remember the pinch me years very fondly,and some of the players we had really did have a never say die attitude and spirit,you just knew if we went 1 or even 2 down we would pull it back.

but they certainly were'nt the norm.they were extrodinary.

the norm is how we know it,mid table mediocraty for the most part,with the odd flirtation with the top 6,and more than enough of flirting with the bottom 4.

its a lifelong commitment,players come and go,good and bad,but at the end of the day the fans will always be there,and you can never take away there memories,its part of the clubs legacy

Mine was against Northampton away must be 1973 ish Big Jim Fryatt and all

So been hrough the mill a few times

It's just a blip just now beleive me ihave seen some shocking peformance & some real quality it/s nothing if not a rollercoater following the Latics

After spending several seasons attending just a handful of games, my first full season watching Latics was 1986/87 and I have been through every single emotion in the last 21 seasons.

I've seen a lot worse than what we have witnessed in the last 2 home games, most notably the ENTIRE reign of Graeme Sharp, the Warnock Dross and the Ronnie Boore-fest.

And as for the opening comment that Fulham have done the best of all the sides from 10 years ago, as much as it sticks in my throat to say it, I'd have to say Wigan have done better. To reach and survive in the Premier after only entering the league in the late 70's is fantastic....That said, the sooner Plastics get relegated the better!

Guest sheridans_world
After spending several seasons attending just a handful of games, my first full season watching Latics was 1986/87 and I have been through every single emotion in the last 21 seasons.

I've seen a lot worse than what we have witnessed in the last 2 home games, most notably the ENTIRE reign of Graeme Sharp, the Warnock Dross and the Ronnie Boore-fest.

And as for the opening comment that Fulham have done the best of all the sides from 10 years ago, as much as it sticks in my throat to say it, I'd have to say Wigan have done better. To reach and survive in the Premier after only entering the league in the late 70's is fantastic....That said, the sooner Plastics get relegated the better!

After an event on a certain bus on the way back from Hartlepool all i'll say is. WE HATE WIGAN and WE HATE WIGAN.

Fulham have done the best :wink:

My first game was 1972 aged 8, so I've been through some bad times and also the great pinch me years with the club.

I consider myself very lucky to have been a Latics fan during those successful seasons in the top flight because realistically the way that football is these days, I dont think we could ever get back to that, we still support the club in that knowledge because of our love for the club.

Players, managers and owners (good and bad) come and go, we the fans are the constant in all this, the fans are what make the club.

People are moaning about how we are playing this season and our league position, but we have had worse times during my years supporting the club.

There have been days when I have left the ground feeling that I couldn't see where our next win would come from so poor was our peformance and such was the standard and quality of the players we had in the team.

Currently we have far more to look forward to than has been the case in the not to distant past.

Started watching Tics when I were about 12/13 in the 82/83 season. We played Shrewsbury at home first game of the season in front of just over 3,000 - we won 1-0. We had some average players but to me they were all legends - they played for Latics for Christ's sake course they were legends! Hoolickin, Clements, Henry (T), Steel, Wylde Sinclair, McDonough, Ryan, Atkinson - I worshipped these guys. Not coz they were great, coz they played for Latics! I worshipped these players, the players that played in the Premiership, the players we have now - coz they represent the team I love and will love them forever. Win or lose have a booze (or in the early days have a carton of orange juice and packet of garibaldis)

To be fair S_W, those same people were moaning when we were on our great Cup Runs; Topping League Two and in The Premiership. During the promotion Season, there would be moans and cat calls at half-time if we were not 2 up against teams from lower in the League. I remember someone walking out when we fell behind against Man United at home saying that it was disgusting and he would be ridiculed at work.

Nothing has really changed. The moaners just have something new to complain about.

I think several people still watch Latics to give them an outlet for their frustration or whatever in their daily lives. Remember Accrington away and the guy who moaned constantly until we went 3-2 up? On the way out, he was complaining that Davies was too good for Oldham and should be sold. He was clearly upset that Davies had spoiled his "fun" that night and so wanted rid! :o

I agree with what DS says up the thread. I'm on the cusp of me 31st anniversary which will be just after Northampton at home.

Ans IC is right there were plenty of moaners in the "pinch me" era and just after.

When we beat Sheff W 3-2 and half the Chaddy/Paddocks piled onto the pitch I was half way over the wall when this silly moo grabbed me by the arm and tried to drag me back into the Chaddy, she wasn't even a steward, but apparently amongst all that wonderful emotional fantastic euphoria I was "spoiling her day". The greatest most dramatic match ever at BP and all she could find time for was moaning! I've always thought that sums up some Latics fans perfectly.

My first game was in 1974 when my Dad took me to see the last 15 minutes (for free!) of the Leyton Orient home game, mainly because of the spectacle of a black player playing, the late great Lawrie Cunningham. How out of place does that statement seem now!

My Dad took me on and off from that point onwards; but I consider my first real season to be the 86/87 play off season when Mike Cecere (hence the user name) got a hat-trick at BP against the enemy :censored: Rovers and then scored in the play offs at home to Leeds which nearly took us through the final against Charlton. As has been said above Cecere was very average at best, but to me he wore the blue shirt and therefore was a legend. He was also very nice to me when I met him on Sheepfoot Lane once during the School holiday's when he gave me his autograph.

I guess I probably also fall into the catagory of someone who gets all nostalgic about the pinch me years. But I'm not ashamed of this one bit, I was 18 at the time; and those of you who are that age now, can you imagine going to Wembley for a cup final, beating the best teams in the land by big margins at BP, and then watching your team win the league to go into the top flight? This gave me the chance to go and watch the team I love hold their own at the likes of Anfield, Highbury, Stamford Bridge and White Hart Lane (I'm not gonna say Old Trafford 'cos we always got stuffed there). My faith in Latics over this time has only been tested once and I'm ashamed to say I failed the test. Watching the Ronnie Moore side in the last season he had with us was the worst time I have ever had watching Latics (including Cardiff at home!). The final nail in the coffin was the last game of the season against Scunthorpe, where even with nothing at stake we still couldn't go out and attack a side and deliver the entertainment that has (Sharpe, Warnock and Talbot aside) been a feature of my years following the club. I took a good look around the ground at the final whistle, left my seat and thought it was the end of an era, Latics had left my life. I did not renew my season ticket last year; and I have to admit I'm a bandwagon jumper as I started going again in December when things were looking up. I'm not proud of this at all. I have got a season ticket again this year, so I guess I'm to blame for our demise.

But really my point is this; you can't blame people for reminiscing about those years, they were the most succesful in the history of the club and many of us present then are still going now. My Dad is 71 and still has his season ticket in the Main Stand Paddock, he describes those years as by far and away the best in over 60 years following the club.

But I agree that all of us need to get behind the team at this point and look to the future not the past; Chris Taylor is not Ricky Holden, Craig Davies is not Andy Ritchie, Neil Eardley is not Denis Irwin but what they all are, are Latics players and for that they are my hero's. I can't think of one example of a player, or a team improving after recieving abuse from the support. Whatever your status as a Latics supporter, young or old, the thing that bonds us is a blind faith in the club; and if we stick together and keep the faith, maybe one day we will see the glory days back at Boundary Park.

:ktf: