walsall away following

daznathe

Away Support At Walsall  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How many will we take to The Bescot?

• Less than 600
    • 600-700
    • 701-800
    • 801-900
    • 901-1000
    • 1001-1100
    • Over 1100

The Walsall Observer says:

Expect a pantomime on the terraces against Oldham Sep 19 2007

Congratulations to the team on their first victory of the season. Another hardworking performance, this time the Saddlers being rewarded with the maximum points for those efforts.

This weekend sees the return of the family fun day initiative. Designed to encourage family participation in Walsall football club and to assure appeal to the fans of the future.

A whole host of activities will be available at the Banks's Stadium, with the fun kicking off at 12.30pm. The club is also offering reduced match ticket prices for the family stand, which as always is greeted with applause from those who see it as a necessary incentive and jeer from those full paying regulars that feel hard done to.

The only potential problem of note is that with opposition being Oldham this means the probable presence of the controversial strike partnership of Hughes and, to a much lesser extent, Ricketts. Expect a hot reception for both of these characters. This match promises to be another keenly contested affair, let's hope the pantomime performances are kept peacefully to the stands.

A classic case of the Press gently stirring up a family fun day into a hornet's nest and then getting ready with shock/horror headlines if there's any trouble.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Walsall Observer says:

Expect a pantomime on the terraces against Oldham Sep 19 2007

let's hope the pantomime performances are kept peacefully to the stands.

Quite right - we have seen a few pantomime performances already this season...

Crossley - "its behind you" ....

:wink:

"But will that be good enough for your Dad?"

Appearing at Wembley in a major cup final. Winning promotion to the First Division. Winning the Second Division Championship with virtually the last kick of the season after coming from 0-2 down. Taking M*n U*d all the way in two epic semi finals. Beating Aston Villa, Liverpool and Southampton in the space of eight days to stay in the top flight against all odds. And still not satisfied!!

I hardly think that an away win against the West Midlands equivalent of OAFC will satisfy my old man!! He's not an easy man to please!!!!

There's also a special advance ticket offer of an adult and up to two kids for £10. However, you probably won't be surprised to learn that the special food menu and cheap advance tickets are only available for home fans.

Doesn't a club have to offer any special rates to both sets of fans ??

IIRC a club can no longer charge more if away stand is superior ??

Doesn't a club have to offer any special rates to both sets of fans ??

IIRC a club can no longer charge more if away stand is superior ??

I think the rule is that a club cannot charge away fans more than home fans for comparable accommodation. In this case the reduced price tickets for home fans are in Block F-1 of the Family Stand, which the club will say is not comparable with the visiting fans' accommodation.

still think we will take over a 1000 despite some of the ususal following not being there for one reason or another

i.e leeslover, garcon, maddog, harrydowdsgreenshirt, lieutenant pigeon are just some that arent

but still will top 1000 - IMO

I don't know of that many that are going tbh, I'm in a group of just 4 of us, the flag will be there though

I have a good feeling about this weekend.... something that I havn't felt since last season. I think we are going to bag plenty and the team will have huge grins on their faces by the end of the match. This will be our turning point. I expect to leak 1 goal but it will be consolation after an 'about time' team performance - plus I recon Greegan may get one from a corner, which will do him good. Taylor will get a chance on the right and show that that's where he belongs. Our goaly will make some excellent saves. Our set pieces will be premier league class and it's all going to be a fantastic day.

This is where we start!

Shame I can't get there.

:bblue2::latics::bblue2:

Tomorrow is Lee Hughes's first appearance in the Midlands at a club where fans would have given him stick because of their dislike his old club, regardless of his jail sentence. There is a balanced view on the 'Lee Hughes Question' on the Vital Walsall site:

http://www.walsall.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=83409

The Walsall fans will also be booing their ex-player Michael Ricketts whom they consider to be a Judas. So with all that booing going on, and no doubt showing their disapproval of the ref, they should be distracted from getting behind their own team.

This is OUR chance to give a 'different class' performance, by singing OUR hearts out for the lads and lifting THEM to give a performance to set the standard for our onwards and upwards journey throughout the rest of the season.

Tonight's rarely wrong Chron says:

"Athletic aim to tread Walsall path

by MICHAEL YARWOOD

IF Athletic need an example of how to escape their unwanted position in the League One table, they can draw inspiration from tomorrow’s opponents.

Walsall were bottom before their game with Millwall last weekend, but they responded to the pressure by delivering a well-earned away win.

That result, allied to yet another victory for Leeds on Friday night and Athletic’s home defeat against Southend, consigned Boundary Park manager John Sheridan to a difficult few days.

Sheridan and his players have had to spend all week coming to terms with their predicament – and bracing themselves for an absolutely vital game.

Defeat at Walsall’s rebranded ground, the Banks’s (formerly Bescot) Stadium, would set even more alarm bells ringing as it would stretch Athletic’s losing run to five matches.

Few teams have had a worse start to the campaign, yet this season is at such an embryonic stage that victory can fire Athletic several places up the table.

Walsall’s stay in 24th was only brief – from Friday night to Saturday evening – but boss Richard Money was still relieved to beat Millwall and get away from the position everyone dreads.

He said: “I’ve read in a number of places that I was never bothered about being bottom of the table.

“Of course I was bothered. It hurt me and it hurt my players.

“You could sense a different atmosphere on the bus on Saturday morning when the players realised what Leeds’ win on Friday night had done.

“The win at Millwall was very pleasing. We are out of the bottom four and we’ll be doing our utmost to ensure we don’t occupy any of those places again.”

Money, who guided Walsall to promotion last season, said their 2-1 success at the New Den had made the whole club a happier, more relaxed environment.

And that, no doubt, is something Athletic will bear in mind – fans may be down at the moment, but the mood can change with one good result.

Money’s side left it late against Millwall, where they collected their first win of the season after taking two points from five previous games.

The score was 1-1 until young forward Troy Deeney dramatically intervened by netting straight after his arrival as a substitute.

He dedicated his goal to 16-year-old Anton Reid, a Walsall trainee whose death during a training session last month stunned the West Midlands community.

Such tragedies, of course, put football very much into perspective, but Walsall are determined to stay up this season after exiting League Two as champions.

Tomorrow’s game will see Athletic striker Michael Ricketts return to the club where his eventful career got under way in the mid-1990s.

Ricketts made a goalscoring league debut at the age of 18 and played 90 games (including 52 as a substitute) before being snapped up by Bolton.

Walsall have experienced front men of their own, with 36-year-old Tommy Mooney set to return from a lay-off and partner ex-Rotherham and Reading poacher Martin Butler.

Their side also includes Anthony Gerrard – cousin of Liverpool’s Steven – and left-back Paul Boertien, who had an unsuccessful trial with Athletic in pre-season. "

On the fishal site JP Kalala talks as though the squad have been told that if they cut out the silly mistakes and are more aggresive, the results will follow. Let's hope his team-mates have also listened.

He says the squad is really up for it and the atmosphere is great!

http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...1117738,00.html

Someone on a Walsall message board says he heard from the club today it is expecting around 800 from Oldham.

I would expect about that, possibly a few more. I get the feeling that a lot of people (including myself) are really fired up for this one after the poor performance and atmosphere last week against Southend. We have a chance tomorrow to really get behind the players and show them we are in this together. If we do that maybe we will resurrect the atmosphere around the club from last season and push on.

I get the feeling that a lot of people (including myself) are really fired up for this one after the poor performance and atmosphere last week against Southend. We have a chance tomorrow to really get behind the players and show them we are in this together. If we do that maybe we will resurrect the atmosphere around the club from last season and push on.

Sounds good to me. :OWTB1::comeon::aplayer1::applause1::chubb::ktf: