LOTW - 20/9/07 - Gary Kelly

Stevie_J

Keep going with the stopping Wozz (if you get what I mean). I always used to say "He's to small to be a good keeper" and then he would usually pull out a string of saves to ensure I had to show my backside to the Chaddy. Always set himself up properly which made it look as if he had plenty of time. No Andy Goram but a belting keeper nonetheless. Wonder what he's doing now

I have to admit, I too was a "he's to small to be a goalkeeper" member. Let's be honest though, if he was taller he would never have been playing for us. Moreover, this is what I want to see at our club. Not the best players in the world (I wouldn't mind that, but it is unlikely), but players who make the most of what they've got and put an endless amount of effort to succeed as best they can.

I feel, along with players like Duxbury and Andy Barlow, Gary Kelly fits this category. We may have had better keepers, but Gary Kelly is a legend in the best possible (look yourself in the mirror type) way.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary Kelly

Date of birth: 3 August 1966, Fulwood, near Preston

Oldham Athletic record:

Appearances: League 224(1), FA Cup 19, League Cup 13

Goals: 0

Debut: Sheffield United (h) 7 September 1996, lost 0-2

Also played for: Newcastle United, Blackpool on loan, Bury, Northwich Victoria, Sheffield United, Leigh RMI

Hailing from a family of goalkeepers, Gary Kelly began with Newcastle United straight from school, becoming a professional at St James' Park in June 1984. His father Alan was an Irish goalkeeping legend who played in 447 League matches for Preston North End and won 47 Republic of Ireland caps. His career was ended by injury in September 1973, and he subsequently had a stand at Deepdale named after him.

I was saddened to read in the programme today that Gary is battling Cancer.

Everyone at Boundary Park was shocked to hear the news regarding ex Latics goalkeeper Gary Kelly and his fight against Cancer. Gary underwent major surgery in July of this year, which resulted in much of his upper arm being removed. Gary now faces more surgery in late October and faces a battle for survival against this terrible disease. I am sure everyone will join us in sending Gary our very best wishes and we sincerely hope he wins his battle and gets well soon. Hopefully Gary along with his wife Anita and family will be able to vivt us once again at Boundary Park soon.

I can only echo those sentiments.

Guest sheridans_world

Source: www.bbc.co.uk

I remeber this:

worth_cup_ban.gif

Tuesday, 21 August, 2001, 14:21 GMT 15:21 UK

Stoke 0-0 Oldham (5-6 pens)

Gary Kelly scored the winning penalty for Oldham

_1497787_kelly300.jpg

Goalkeeper Gary Kelly buried the decisive kick as Oldham edged into round two of the Worthington Cup with a dramatic 6-5 penalty shoot-out victory against Stoke.

The only incident of note in a woeful first-half at the Britannia Stadium saw Stefan Thordarson fire hopelessly wide of an open goal after Kelly's dreadful clearance.

Darren Sheridan forced City goalkeeper Neil Cutler into a decent save in the 53rd minute, but that was as good as it got in normal time with defences on top.

Stoke had skipper Peter Handyside sent off for a professional foul in the 102nd minute.

The hosts went closest in extra-time when Andy Cooke's effort was cleared of the line, before bowing out on penalties.

Edited by sheridans_world

I was saddened to read in the programme today that Gary is battling Cancer.

I can only echo those sentiments.

That really is terrible news.

I was going to close this thread tomorrow and belated post up a new LOTW, but I'm going to leave this one open until Thursday.

So sorry to hear that such a great Latics goalkeeper has, by the sound of it, basically lost an arm, but hopefully the surgery will mean that he can go on to live a long and happy life. Get well soon, Gary.

Gary Kelly an hero in the aftermath of the pinch-me seasons....the Tony Carss of those free-falling desperate times!!!!

This guy was an absolute stalwart of what passion and belief (despite numerous s.hi.te desperate defences were put infront of him...including Sinnott, Hodgson and Hotte!) is about. Just see his anger at that Wycombe away game and his fury at the incompetence infront of him.....it never ever happened again!!!

If only we had a goalkeeper like Gary Kelly now, we'd not be utter words about the deficiencies of Day, Pogs, Crossley, Miskelly, Blayneys and any other keeper we've had! There isn't a keeper (and I'm a big defender of Pogs) who lives up to Gary Kelly....gutted to hear this news! The guy had every attribute to being a goalkeeper!

And as a token to Gary....the best save my eyes have ever witnesses are owned to him! Take your Gordon Banks in 1970 and throw it in the bin...I'll take that save Kelly made at Barrow away in that FA Cup replay to the grave with me! He defied science that day......to get fingertips, to their lads header and somehow push it onto the post and away defied logic! I'd love to know what he thinks his best save in a 'Tics shirt was (and pray it was that....it was truly outstanding!!!)

Gary Kelly.....not a single Latics fan has a bad word about that lad!!! In one of our lowest eras........a true, true hero!!!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Gary Kelly an hero in the aftermath of the pinch-me seasons....the Tony Carss of those free-falling desperate times!!!!

This guy was an absolute stalwart of what passion and belief (despite numerous s.hi.te desperate defences were put infront of him...including Sinnott, Hodgson and Hotte!) is about. Just see his anger at that Wycombe away game and his fury at the incompetence infront of him.....it never ever happened again!!!

If only we had a goalkeeper like Gary Kelly now, we'd not be utter words about the deficiencies of Day, Pogs, Crossley, Miskelly, Blayneys and any other keeper we've had! There isn't a keeper (and I'm a big defender of Pogs) who lives up to Gary Kelly....gutted to hear this news! The guy had every attribute to being a goalkeeper!

And as a token to Gary....the best save my eyes have ever witnesses are owned to him! Take your Gordon Banks in 1970 and throw it in the bin...I'll take that save Kelly made at Barrow away in that FA Cup replay to the grave with me! He defied science that day......to get fingertips, to their lads header and somehow push it onto the post and away defied logic! I'd love to know what he thinks his best save in a 'Tics shirt was (and pray it was that....it was truly outstanding!!!)

Gary Kelly.....not a single Latics fan has a bad word about that lad!!! In one of our lowest eras........a true, true hero!!!

On a complete side note to the thread on a whole, but that save at Hartlepool by Lee Grant is by far and away the best save by an Oldham Athletic goalkeeper I've seen in the nigh on twenty years I've been watching them.

Gary had very many good saves, but that one continues to take my breath away.

NB. And what the hell do people have against Dougie Hodgson. He wasn't a bad player and was 100% committed. I can think of MANY worse players than him.

GK was a top GK who consistently proved that size DOESN'T matter. I well remember his brother, Alan Jnr and father, Alan Snr and IMO was equal to them both. Thankfully for Latics, Gary never played in the top flight as long as he should have. Exactly why, I'll never know. He wasn't quite in the same class as Goram in his pomp or the brilliant 60s keeper David Best, but Gary Kelly would be in my top 5 keepers in the 50-odd years I've been a Tic.

I've never been sure if my eyes deceived me, but I am still believe I saw him score the most unusual own goal at Swindon one wet, cold and (very) windy night. He came for a cross (or corner, can't remember which) got in a two handed punch and saw the ball take to the air, get caught on the wind and loop back into the net. It looked a real freak goal from where I was sat shivering, but he went on to put in another first class performance.

A true legend - Keep the Faith and get well, Gary.

Is that him in the pic below? Never been too sure.

Edited by Bristolatic

GK was a top GK who consistently proved that size DOESN'T matter. I well remember his brother, Alan Jnr and father, Alan Snr and IMO was equal to them both. Thankfully for Latics, Gary never played in the top flight as long as he should have. Exactly why, I'll never know. He wasn't quite in the same class as Goram in his pomp or the brilliant 60s keeper David Best, but Gary Kelly would be in my top 5 keepers in the 50-odd years I've been a Tic.

I've never been sure if my eyes deceived me, but I am still believe I saw him score the most unusual own goal at Swindon one wet, cold and (very) windy night. He came for a cross (or corner, can't remember which) got in a two handed punch and saw the ball take to the air, get caught on the wind and loop back into the net. It looked a real freak goal from where I was sat shivering, but he went on to put in another first class performance.

A true legend - Keep the Faith and get well, Gary.

Is that him in the pic below? Never been too sure.

I reckon so....looks like his body shape, if you get what I mean. Lol.

Guest sheridans_world
Come on Oldham Organise a benefit!!

I was going to email the club about this on monday morning, i'd be there! I dont think he had a testamonial or anything when he left because he went to play for Northwich (i think) so he was carrying on playing.

Time we had one for him though :)

I was going to email the club about this on monday morning, i'd be there! I dont think he had a testamonial or anything when he left because he went to play for Northwich (i think) so he was carrying on playing.

Time we had one for him though :)

I emailed the Club this morning and posted it on the 'very sad news' thread.

Your opinion is spot-on BB. I've emailed Alan Hardy suggesting the same thing.

It would be a great gesture if Newcastle organised one for Gary, but if not they would be fitting opponents to come to BP. There might not be many fans of Bury, Leigh RMI and Northwich Vics, but most of them would turn out for such a good cause.

NB. And what the hell do people have against Dougie Hodgson. He wasn't a bad player and was 100% committed. I can think of MANY worse players than him.

Thats what i was thinking too, he was a decent enough centre half for us who new his limitations.

With regards the the benefit for GK i think its a great idea but it all depends on how he is handling the horrible situation he is in. If it was to go ahead then i would definately be there, he was a great keeper for us and i was very shocked and saddened when i heard the news on saturday

With regards the the benefit for GK i think its a great idea but it all depends on how he is handling the horrible situation he is in. If it was to go ahead then i would definately be there, he was a great keeper for us and i was very shocked and saddened when i heard the news on saturday

The last thing I want is for people to start slagging off the club with a kneejerk reaction to what I'm about to post about the benefit idea. Gemma refers to the unknown - how Gary is handling his horrible situation - further surgery is planned and his very survival is unsure.

Alan Hardy has replied to my email:

"Awful news about Gary.

I have to agree he was perhaps one of the best 'keepers I have seen at Boundary Park since I joined the club.

I don't know what Newcastle would want to do in this instance but I guess they would not want to set a precedent as I am sure there will be a number of ex-players who may find themselves in a similar position, and of course they would not be able to have a benefit game for all of them.

I know that the PFA have policies in place to cover situations like this and I am sure that they are aware of Gary's condition and are helping all they can."

As I say please don't jump on the Club's back if you feel that the reply does not meet your wishes. Gary would not want that.