LOTW - 20/9/07 - Gary Kelly

Stevie_J

The last thing I want is for people to start slagging off the club with a kneejerk reaction to what I'm about to post about the benefit idea. Gemma refers to the unknown - how Gary is handling his horrible situation - further surgery is planned and his very survival is unsure.

Alan Hardy has replied to my email:

"Awful news about Gary.

I have to agree he was perhaps one of the best 'keepers I have seen at Boundary Park since I joined the club.

I don't know what Newcastle would want to do in this instance but I guess they would not want to set a precedent as I am sure there will be a number of ex-players who may find themselves in a similar position, and of course they would not be able to have a benefit game for all of them.

I know that the PFA have policies in place to cover situations like this and I am sure that they are aware of Gary's condition and are helping all they can."

As I say please don't jump on the Club's back if you feel that the reply does not meet your wishes. Gary would not want that.

Thats fairly understandable from the club. Perhaps if there is no benifit game we could have a collection and make a donation to cancer research in GKs name or something

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats fairly understandable from the club. Perhaps if there is no benifit game we could have a collection and make a donation to cancer research in GKs name or something

That's a good idea. I would think the family's wishes will be taken into account. I'll keep an eye open for an announcement.

Guest sheridans_world
That's a good idea. I would think the family's wishes will be taken into account. I'll keep an eye open for an announcement.

Christie's could be the beneficiary, i assume Gary doesnt live around here any more but a maybe cancer donation should go to somewhere close by?