Leeds at home

What makes the people from Bury, Rochdale, Heywood, Middleton, Stockport, or even Botlon, Huddersfield and Bradford, more likely to go to the trouble of getting tickets in advance that the people of Oldham?

It was a Tuesday at Leeds in the League Cup and we took a very good following there that night.

Nah, to be fair, I think there may have been consideration taken to possible trouble...hence putting it on a Tuesday. Us and Uddersfield are the two local games (Doncaster maybe, but they've no history with Leeds really) where there's potential for trouble. Which interestingly, Soccerbase has the Udds v Leeds game down for a Monday night! http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=519962

As for Chelski playing us the other year, there hasn't been the rivarly like we've had in the past with Leeds. Different prospect IMO. And regarding the League Cup Diego, that was always going to be midweek....not really a choice of having it then, more dates set out for that cup. Personally, I don't see why the club don't push the game in other papers. Man S.h.i.t.t.y do it in the local rags in Oldham. We might have some whose team are away and they might just fancy seeing us take on Leeds. Worth a try for one game....see what it heralds. Accrington try to get other local sides to attend, when others are away. And we used to have followers who supported one team one week and us another. Worth a thought, I reckon.

Edited by boundaryblue80

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes the people from Bury, Rochdale, Heywood, Middleton, Stockport, or even Botlon, Huddersfield and Bradford, more likely to go to the trouble of getting tickets in advance that the people of Oldham?

It was a Tuesday at Leeds in the League Cup and we took a very good following there that night.

Nothing makes the people of Bury etc more likely to get tickets than those from Oldham, however my point was that if the club were really serious about promoting this game as being all-ticket and a sell-out then they shouldn't rely on only advertising in the Chron they should use other local papers and papers for places where some people who wouldn't normally go to Oldham but don't like Leeds live. How much is an advert in something like the Bury Times if its something like a £100 then we would only have to sell 5 extra tickets to recuperate the cost. Marketing for a Leeds game in the Greater Manchester region is NOT rocket science. I mean all it could take is someone sending a text to the chris Moyles show bad mouthing Leeds and saying we are going to take them apart and if he reads it out there's a whole bunch of nearly free advertsing right there. Sometimes i think the club couldn't sell a piss up in a brewery.

As for the crowd we took to Leeds so what we quite often take that many to local away games e.g. the 3000 we took to Huddersfield, most of those people who went to Leeds would have gone no matter what day it was. However, it is a lot easier to get extra people to go to a game if it is on a Saturday.

They took 1200, but that was all the tickets they had allocated.... sure there were more of 'em in with the rovers... however, it was an all ticket friday night match...

As for at BP - they will fill it no problem.... look at it this way... how many would we take to leeds? Judging by hudds last year - 3,000 odd at least - now lets think what leeds would bring with thier fan base.... like it or not - there will be 4600 of em there... and to be brutally honest, they will be bloomin loud...

... You can witter on about the latics crowd singing all you want - i'm sure they will... and it will be a great atmos... however the thing that will shut up dirty leeds is what happens on the pitch... when we go 3-0 up i'm sure the only thing you will hear is our fans! :wink:

Should be a great night...

No im 99% sure they took 3,000 ..... had the stand behind the goal and the away section on the side.

As you say ... shall be a great night..

Ohhh when the bluuuuues ..........

I presume they'll be a heavy police prescence inside the ground. So they might have some balls to tell Leeds to behave....maybe not tho :grin:

lets hope theres a heavy police presence outside the ground aswell eh,do you think they will keep the dirty leeds in for 20mins after the game?

Nothing makes the people of Bury etc more likely to get tickets than those from Oldham, however my point was that if the club were really serious about promoting this game as being all-ticket and a sell-out then they shouldn't rely on only advertising in the Chron they should use other local papers and papers for places where some people who wouldn't normally go to Oldham but don't like Leeds live. How much is an advert in something like the Bury Times if its something like a £100 then we would only have to sell 5 extra tickets to recuperate the cost. Marketing for a Leeds game in the Greater Manchester region is NOT rocket science. I mean all it could take is someone sending a text to the chris Moyles show bad mouthing Leeds and saying we are going to take them apart and if he reads it out there's a whole bunch of nearly free advertsing right there. Sometimes i think the club couldn't sell a piss up in a brewery.

As for the crowd we took to Leeds so what we quite often take that many to local away games e.g. the 3000 we took to Huddersfield, most of those people who went to Leeds would have gone no matter what day it was. However, it is a lot easier to get extra people to go to a game if it is on a Saturday.

why not advertise it on "key 103" radio station, city do it all the time because they sell out their council house. think you might get some fc united fans coming along.

why not advertise it on "key 103" radio station, city do it all the time because they sell out their council house. think you might get some fc united fans coming along.

Exactly there are enough mediums for the club to advertise with but yet they 'insist' on only using the Chron and occassionally the MEN; they work but there is a saturation point where all the extra people who would come already know about it. It is not all that expensive and with the prices being charged it shouldn't be too hard to recuperate the cost.

If after £2 games people dont come ... i really dont think however much Key 103 advertise our games it will make people come.

Way I look at it, the only way to pull in the drifters (no, not the group!) is to promote such games as the Leeds, the Forests and any other tie that might be remotely of interest. Ok, we know they won't turn up for the Gillingham, Southend or Brighton games etc....but any that might appeal should possibly be pushed. We have to sell the opposition unfortunately....that's all Wigan have done since they've been in the Prem....few go to see Wigan, ok, they give their "token, hangers-on" support when they're there, but only coz of who they're playing. Maybe that's what we need to try and tap into when we play the likes of Leeds etc.

Way I look at it, the only way to pull in the drifters (no, not the group!) is to promote such games as the Leeds, the Forests and any other tie that might be remotely of interest. Ok, we know they won't turn up for the Gillingham, Southend or Brighton games etc....but any that might appeal should possibly be pushed. We have to sell the opposition unfortunately....that's all Wigan have done since they've been in the Prem....few go to see Wigan, ok, they give their "token, hangers-on" support when they're there, but only coz of who they're playing. Maybe that's what we need to try and tap into when we play the likes of Leeds etc.

there are quite a few latics fans in middleton and surrounding areas,after living there for 12 years i always used to read about latics in the middleton guardian.

the club also get promoted on bbc gmr and 96.2 revolution.

simple fact is if people dont want to come they wont,so from the clubs point of view why waste good money on advertising when they know it doesnt payoff.

if the chron run a promotion for city or united tickets there is a stampede,but for ours we usually end up giving them asway free to schools.just a simple fact of life and nothing to do with the club or how it promotes itself.

No im 99% sure they took 3,000 ..... had the stand behind the goal and the away section on the side.

As you say ... shall be a great night..

Ohhh when the bluuuuues ..........

No they didnt have the away section on the side only behind the goal, Rovers fans had the original away section on the side. Leeds away support was 1200 - 100% Correct

lets hope theres a heavy police presence outside the ground aswell eh,do you think they will keep the dirty leeds in for 20mins after the game?

No chance of the 20 minute thing, it just doesn't happen these days. I wouldn't worry too much about Leeds from the trouble point of view (don't get me wrong they have a troublesome element like anyone else), I think the likes of Cardiff and Swansea are much more likely to cause trouble, and did, rather than Leeds. I sat with Leeds fans at the league cup game a couple of years back and there crowd is much more family orientated than it was say 20 years ago. A legacy from the Premier League days I guess.

Seems like a good turn out from Dirty Leeds IF they can get the >>tickets in time<<

........ and here is one for the Diego and his ongoing argument about the singing in the Chaddy :wink:

" Have the acuostics improved in the Chaddy End yet? will we hear you? "

>>Sing along now<<

On that ticket thread, interesting use of txtspk.........

I hate it, but sort of get 'm8'

Nick_LUFC7 Posted on 25/9 11:16 i ant got m9 either

WTF is mer-nine? :mad:

Guest oa_exile
On that ticket thread, interesting use of txtspk.........

I hate it, but sort of get 'm8'

WTF is mer-nine? :mad:

Not an expert on txt speak but would assume m8 means "Mate" and m9 means "mine" :unsure:

................... enters Ackey the king of anti txt speak

Edited by oa_exile

Not an expert on txt speak but would assume m8 means "Mate" and m9 means "mine" :unsure:

................... enters Ackey the king of anti txt speak

Errrrr, yes, I'd sort of figured that...... but it's cack and wrong - m8 = meight, m9 = mnine (which isn't even a word). :angry: