Any Baseball fans about?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well that was a kick in the teeth!

The guy with the funny name - is it Knoblauch? The name rings a bell but I cant remember who he plays/played for. I can tell you that it means Garlic in German however!

Phil Stockman...will be looking out for him.

Here's the 2007 payrolls - I'm not sure at what point they take the data from as players obviously move around during the season:

Team Total payroll

New York Yankees $ 189,639,045

Boston Red Sox $ 143,026,214

New York Mets $ 115,231,663

Los Angeles Angels $ 109,251,333

Chicago White Sox $ 108,671,833

Los Angeles Dodgers $ 108,454,524

Seattle Mariners $ 106,460,833

Chicago Cubs $ 99,670,332

Detroit Tigers $ 95,180,369

Baltimore Orioles $ 93,554,808

St. Louis Cardinals $ 90,286,823

San Francisco Giants $ 90,219,056

Philadelphia Phillies $ 89,428,213

Houston Astros $ 87,759,000

Atlanta Braves $ 87,290,833

Toronto Blue Jays $ 81,942,800

Oakland Athletics $ 79,366,940

Minnesota Twins $ 71,439,500

Milwaukee Brewers $ 70,986,500

Cincinnati Reds $ 68,904,980

Texas Rangers $ 68,318,675

Kansas City Royals $ 67,116,500

Cleveland Indians $ 61,673,267

San Diego Padres $ 58,110,567

Colorado Rockies $ 54,424,000

Arizona Diamondbacks $ 52,067,546

Pittsburgh Pirates $ 38,537,833

Washington Nationals $ 37,347,500

Florida Marlins $ 30,507,000

Tampa Bay Devil Rays $ 24,123,500

I see Stockman made a few appearances in 'the bigs' this season:

http://sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/448970

A MLB player born in Oldham! Who'd a thought it?!

Be interesting to know what sort of wage he is getting out there.

As for them figures on wages, how some of them teams can condone being so s*** with the amount they're paying is bizarre....forgot that the White Sox would be up on that list. Interesting to see Cleveland, Colorado, San Diego and Arizona right near the bottom of that list. 2 of which have made it to October and 1 other from tonights playoff. Come on Colorado.....make that run of 13 wins in 14 count....be gutting for them to fall at the final hurdle. Home advantage too....get the job done!

Edited by boundaryblue80

My my.....what a playoff this is....just got in and it's 5-5 between the Rockies and the Padres....bottom of the 6th....gunna be very exciting if it stays like this to extra innings! Go on Colorado....make it count!

EDIT: Seconds after writing that.....6-5 to Colorado.....nice one! Could it be 14 wins from 15.....what a run (Colorado were 20-1 to win the World Series this morning! Crazy!)

Edited by boundaryblue80

My my.....what a playoff this is....just got in and it's 5-5 between the Rockies and the Padres....bottom of the 6th....gunna be very exciting if it stays like this to extra innings! Go on Colorado....make it count!

EDIT: Seconds after writing that.....6-5 to Colorado.....nice one! Could it be 14 wins from 15.....what a run (Colorado were 20-1 to win the World Series this morning! Crazy!)

Well that was an absolute thriller last night! Colorado MVP Matt Holiday makes a complete hash of a simple catch in the 8th to level the playoff 6-6 and it goes to the 13th inning! Colardo's bullpen begin to have a nightmare and finally give up a 2-run home run in the top of the 13th....but Colorado fight straight back. And from zero-to hero....Holliday steps up and knocks in a 2-run triple and waits at 3rd base with no outs and tied 8-8. Jamey Carroll's shallow fly ball is launched at home plate to get Holliday out....he smashes his chin on the floor as he grapples to touch home plate....umpire waits, then gives him in for the winning run. Not one replay shows him actually touching home plate! Great entertainment!

Would love to see Colorado go on now and do something...14 wins from 15 and awesome fighting spirit to seemingly lose the game in the top of the 13th, then storm back to win in the bottom of it. Quite endearing!

EDIT: Just found this to read, quality piece of journalism to sum up the game....it's almost like the Latics sometimes (even maybe that Crewe game on Sat!)

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/10384149

Edited by boundaryblue80

Noblock. Noblach? Chuck Knoblauch! That's the guy!

"Toby? Toby Wong. Toby Wong? Toby Wong. Toby Chung? ******* Charlie Chan"

Chuck played for The Twins, Yankees and KC Royals. I don't know where I got the Marlins from....

have just finished watching the Rockies game whilst, ahem, 'working' from home. Awesome game and then winning it on a bogus decision! I think the umpire thought 'f*** it, I'm well late for my tea'.

I hope they go on to win it all. Go Rockies!

Here, here! And now 15 wins in 16 games...another Holliday home run at 3-2 up making it enough for the Rockies. Closed it out without many worries. Should win this series from here. Hoping for the following from the playoffs now....

Rockies to beat the Phillies

Boston to beat the Angels

Cubs to beat Arizona and obviously....

Cleveland to beat the Dirty Red Man U Scum of Baseball

Then ideally Colorado to beat the Cubs in the NL series and...

Cleveland to beat Boston in the AL series

More likely though, I can see Colorado getting the World Series through the Phillies and either of the Cubs and Arizona and losing to the Yankees :disappointed:

Can see it happening this way....

Arizona to beat the Cubs (unfortunately)

Red Scum of NY to beat Cleveland

Then...

NYY to beat the Red Sox

Colorado to beat Arizona

I just think the Yankees will put it together now after being written off in May, storming back and almost catching stuttering Boston for the division title and that they'll beat Cleveland, ram the "writing off" and division title down Bostons throats and then take the momentum on into the WS. Beating Colorado. Hope not though!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Only problem with Colorado though is that they look like they are peaking a bit too early.

Timing is everything in these things (see last year). Either that or being miles better than everyone else, which doesn't really appear to be the case this year.

If I was guessing, then:

Arizona to beat the Cubs (certainly not unfortunately as the Cubbies only made it by default)

NY to beat Cleveland

Then...

NYY to beat the Red Sox

Arizona to beat Colorado

Then NY to win.

Obviously we'd all like NY out (I'd prefer the Red Sox to win it now).

Edit: Scores so far: Boston beat Angels 4-0, as mentioned Rockies beat Phillies 4-2 and Arizona saw off the Cubbies 3-1.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Only problem with Colorado though is that they look like they are peaking a bit too early.

Timing is everything in these things (see last year). Either that or being miles better than everyone else, which doesn't really appear to be the case this year.

If I was guessing, then:

Arizona to beat the Cubs (certainly not unfortunately as the Cubbies only made it by default)

NY to beat Cleveland

Then...

NYY to beat the Red Sox

Arizona to beat Colorado

Then NY to win.

Obviously we'd all like NY out (I'd prefer the Red Sox to win it now).

Edit: Scores so far: Boston beat Angels 4-0, as mentioned Rockies beat Phillies 4-2 and Arizona saw off the Cubbies 3-1.

Yeah, all gone to how I expected....agree, the Cubs will struggle. Just say unfortunately for the underdog tag, that I enjoy supporting usually. Colorado, then Cleveland, then the Red Sox is my order of preference for winning the WS. Like you suggest, with NYY 8th from 8 in preference :grin: Go on the Indians tonight!

Edited by boundaryblue80

I'd like to see the Rockies beat the Indians in the World Series. Wont happen mind. I'm looking forward to another NYY-Red Sox ALCS, the last one was a humdinger! It'd also be interesting to see the hysteria in Chicago if the Cubs get even a sniff of glory. To all those who were following baseball a few years ago....Steve Bartman!!!

http://www.canoy.org/temp/sbartman.jpg

I'd like to see the Rockies beat the Indians in the World Series. Wont happen mind. I'm looking forward to another NYY-Red Sox ALCS, the last one was a humdinger! It'd also be interesting to see the hysteria in Chicago if the Cubs get even a sniff of glory. To all those who were following baseball a few years ago....Steve Bartman!!!

http://www.canoy.org/temp/sbartman.jpg

He's the prat who got in the way of the catcher, trying to stop a home run ain't he? Hung over the railing and interfered, causing the catcher to miss the catch?

By the way...guess who's winning again...know what we were saying about momentum at the wrong time (too early etc) but if ya just keep winning, then nobody's gunna stop ya! 16 wins from 17 coming up? Go Rockies!

Well done the Rockies....another win knocked in (10-5). The unstoppable train knocked in a grand slam and then managed to squeeze through the 8th inning, closing it with 3 Phillies left stranded when bases were loaded. Impressive.....Surely can't blow it now. Apparently 20 times out of 21, when a team has taken a 2-0 lead on the road, they've gone on to win the series. Bodes well.

Now watching the NYY vs the Indians...cracking start....Home run for the Yankees in the top of the 1st....the Indians reply straight away with a run and now currently have bases loaded, with 2 outs, in a very long bottom of the 1st. Gunna be a late night! Atmosphere sounds amazing....come on the Indians!

EDIT: Seconds after pressing enter....2 run hit and an out ends the 1st Inning....Indians 3-1 up! Get in!

EDIT: NYY close in from 4-1 down to 4-3 but a 5 run bottom of the 5th puts the Indians 9-3 up!!! Surely gunna go on to win now...

EDIT: Final score...12-3 to the Indians....superb pitching to keep the Yankees quiet, whilst hitting them out of the park several times. The Yankees have one heck of a match on their hands! Well done the Indians!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Made a little off the Arizona game last night. Bookies had Cubs 5/7 fav, Arizona 11/10. Stuck £20 on Arizona....Arizona 8 Cubs 4. Very generous odds from them. Yum, yum!

Managed to watch the Yankees game through to 4-2 Indians, then had a lie down whilst watching it and woke up and it was 4-2. To Arizona.

Nice to see the Yankees getting beat, but when watching it you just got the feeling there wasn't a chance the Indians were going to lose such was the atmosphere, and Wang's distribution of every third ball being high and floaty.

Managed to watch the Yankees game through to 4-2 Indians, then had a lie down whilst watching it and woke up and it was 4-2. To Arizona.

Nice to see the Yankees getting beat, but when watching it you just got the feeling there wasn't a chance the Indians were going to lose such was the atmosphere, and Wang's distribution of every third ball being high and floaty.

Sets it up for a cracker for tonight....just knackered from last night though...lol :sleeping:

Edited by boundaryblue80

yeah, but it wasnt the catcher - he was sitting in leftfield. He thought it was going out so went to catch it but ended up knocking it out of the Cubs players hand or putting him off, am not sure he was actually going to catch it (at that point it they only had 4 or 5 more outs to go before they reached the WS). The crowd went berserk, booing and jeering and throwing stuff and he was led away by security. His life was basically ruined and, a lifetime fan, he has never been back. I personally think he was made a scapegoat by the team, they made enough goofs after the incident if memory serves me right. The Cubs could have gone out of their way to point out that errors by their own players were the reason for their defeat but they left him out to dry.

Still, it was funny as f*** at the time!

Interesting little start to tonight NYY-Indians game...Home run putting NYY ahead, Indians trying to nibble the lead back...just left one stranded at 3rd base in the bottom of the 3rd. Come on the Indians!

EDIT: How frustrating....into the 8th Inning....NYY, 2 hits all game, 1 run....Indians, 7 hits, no runs, several on base strandard!!! Come on guys, get em in!

EDIT: Back in the game! Come on Indians...1-1 in the bottom of the 8th.

EDIT: Haha....commentator then....."listen to this crowd folks....it's like an English Premier soccer match!".....fancy that, of all the comparisons that a US commentator could've made!

Edited by boundaryblue80

WHAT A GAME! Awesome pitching, cagey as owt....and what a finish....how much more exciting can a game get? Scores are level, bottom of the 11th, bases loaded and the count is 3 and 2!!! Hafner singles and knocks in the win for the Indians :grin: 2-0 up....be tough when they go to the Yankees, but at least if all else fails, they can win it at home now! Well done Cleveland!

recorded the skanks v indians, have been watching it on and off as i had to go out. Got to the end of the 9th and the recording ended! aaaaarg.

Really enjoyed that game - mental bug attack or what!

So, all the series are at 2-0. Hopefully they wont all finish 3-0, am enjoying it all too much.

God, I love October!

recorded the skanks v indians, have been watching it on and off as i had to go out. Got to the end of the 9th and the recording ended! aaaaarg.

Really enjoyed that game - mental bug attack or what!

So, all the series are at 2-0. Hopefully they wont all finish 3-0, am enjoying it all too much.

God, I love October!

Has been fun, ain't it :grin: Be interesting to see the turnarounds now....would prefer the Rockies to knock it in tonight tho....if it goes to tomorrow, the pressure (which they've never really had, due to always being the chasing side) will be squarely on them for once. Rather they knock it home at first chance.

Could see a coupleof 2-2's from the other 3 games. I think the Cubs will rally tonight and hopefully take it back to Arizona (and win, but think that'll be a step too far.) NYY always have a rally in them, so that's not over yet. I reckon Boston will win it on the road though.

Come on the Cubs and the Rockies tonight!

PS Gutting about the recording! Don't know if ya can download it, but the last inning was tense....especially the winning moment...can't throw a ball or he'll walk in the winning run, so must strike him out,,,Hafner takes advantage of the situation and singles...brilliant stuff!