Any Baseball fans about?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..and being honest I don't give a toss about any of this so long as Tony LaRussa signs a new contract.

(but Boston is still the ground I'd most like to go to).

Just had a feeling when the Indians lost the 5th game and it went 3-2, that they'd blow it. Been out all weekend, but caught last nights game (10-2) where Boston finally got to grips with the Indians pitching and now they're at it again....just gone 5-2 up in the bottom of the 7th! Looks like good night to the Indians and a Rockies-Red Sox World Series!

EDIT: All over....final score Cleveland 2 Red Sox 11.....they went one better tonight. Oh well...if the Rockies do win the World Series, they will have done the unthinkable! As I said earlier on, it'll be a little bit more special if they beat the Sox to win it, then the Indians. Roll on Weds night!

Edited by boundaryblue80

any of you geezers notice anything 'fishy' about the mlb website recently? I keep getting redirected to spyware/malware rubbish when clicking on news stories. I've jacked in using it and have gone over to Espn instead.

Don't use it....I tend to use CBS Sportline for score updates and news and ESPN sometimes. Get my streams off www.myp2p.eu but now the WS is here (from Weds) CH5 is all we need.

This is worrying.....The Red Sox are taking Colorado apart so far tonight in the WSG1! Already 9-1 ahead in the 5th inning. I do think that the Rockies are a better bet tomorrow night though...but I just hope (wanting the Rockies to win) that this doesn't deflate Colorado tonight! Not the Rockies night tonight!

EDIT: Make that Red Sox 10 Colorado 1....nightmare 5th inning!

EDIT2: Make it 11-1....:disappointed:

EDIT3: 12-1....still in the 5th! Looks like their 21 wins from 22 is becoming 21 from 23 now...oh well. Hope my comments above about a long lay off after sweeping their division, doesn't ring true!

EDIT4: 13-1....maybe I should just switch off the telly! 7 run inning so far all with 2 outs :disappointed:

Edited by boundaryblue80

This is worrying.....The Red Sox are taking Colorado apart so far tonight in the WSG1! Already 9-1 ahead in the 5th inning. I do think that the Rockies are a better bet tomorrow night though...but I just hope (wanting the Rockies to win) that this doesn't deflate Colorado tonight! Not the Rockies night tonight!

EDIT: Make that Red Sox 10 Colorado 1....nightmare 5th inning!

EDIT2: Make it 11-1....:disappointed:

EDIT3: 12-1....still in the 5th! Looks like their 21 wins from 22 is becoming 21 from 23 now...oh well. Hope my comments above about a long lay off after sweeping their division, doesn't ring true!

EDIT4: 13-1....maybe I should just switch off the telly! 7 run inning so far all with 2 outs :disappointed:

I'm presuming you (along with the rest of the World) went to bed at that point then. :)

It did look as though Boston could swipe them around at will, and Beckett looked pretty untouchable (which he's been most postseason).

However, the blowout isn't too bad. It is against Boston's best pitcher and it's always a struggle to take that first game at the others stadium. The main problems for me were the complete capitulation of the bullpen and the fact that virtually every Sox player got a hit (and probably a double at that). That bullpen has to see the Rockies through and this has to have blown away nearly all their confidence, whereas nearly every hitter for the Red Sox is going to be on their uppers.

It doesn't really matter though, because Tony La Russa signed a new contract. :grin:

BOSTON - The Boston Red Sox, who have failed to win a single World Series since the departure of relief pitcher Curtis Leskanic in 2004, are attempting to defy the odds and do the impossible: reverse the curse of the journeyman reliever whose ghost has haunted this team since the mid-2000s. Pitted against the Colorado Rockies in the 2007 Fall Classic, the team that for two long years seemed like it might be destined to lose forever has a chance to finally put an end to its 36-month-long World Series drought. However, the Red Sox must first overcome the famed Curse of Curtis Leskanic, which caused medium-to-long-suffering fans much anguish and heartache during the period between 2005 and 2006.

"It will take a miracle for the Sox to win the World Series as long as the spirit of Leskanic has anything to say about it," wrote Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy, who coined the phrase "Curse Of The Former Red Sox Relief Pitcher Curtis Leskanic" in March of 2005, when an error by shortstop Edgar Renteria allowed the Devil Rays to defeat the Red Sox 7-4 in a spring training game. "This curse will play a huge part in this series. Every home run that curves just foul, every dropped fly ball, every bad hop, every blown call—Curtis Leskanic will be there."

Leskanic, a right-handed set-up man acquired by the Red Sox halfway through the 2004 season, pitched nearly 28 innings for the team from July to September, and was present as Boston defeated the Yankees in the ALCS and went on the win the World Series. However, as legend has it, the Red Sox refused to offer him a contract extension, despite the fact that he was coming off a 3-5 season with a 5.19 ERA and 37 strikeouts. Leskanic, unable to find work in the major leagues, retired—and the rest is history. Since then, the Florida Little League team that Leskanic went on to coach has enjoyed unprecedented success, winning the Lake County Round Robin two years in a row and going undefeated in 2006.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox have made it to the playoffs just twice since 2004.

"I don't usually believe in 'curses,' but how else do you explain the Red Sox's early elimination from the 2005 Division Series, or their five-game sweep at the hands of the Yankees last August, or the fact that they didn't even make the playoffs in 2006?" said longtime Red Sox fan Gary Everett. "No team is that unlucky."

"We never should've gotten rid of Leskanic," Everett added. "Just think of how many more rings we'd have now."

"When [White Sox outfielder Scott] Podsednik hit that home run in Game 1 of the 2005 ALDS, all I could think was, 'Damn you, Leskanic!'" said Allston, MA resident Terry Bresler. "But if the Sox can beat the Rockies this year, I might be able to finally forgive Tony Graffanino for that error he made in Game 2 of that series."

In an interesting twist of fate, to end the curse, the Red Sox must first beat the Rockies, the team with which Leskanic began his career in 1993. Many fans believe destiny brought these two teams together—that it is only fitting that the Red Sox must exorcise the demons of their recent past against the very team with which Leskanic enjoyed his greatest success, including his 7-5, 6.23 ERA season in 1996 and his 1-1 effort in 1994.

"Ending the curse against the Rockies will just make it that much sweeter," said Boston resident Terry McMahon. "Not even Curtis Leskanic can stop this team!"

"I just pray that my son can see the Sox win at least one World Series in his lifetime," said Boston resident Sal Fischer of his son Cody, 2.

Many Red Sox fans believe the Curse of Curtis Leskanic was already broken this June when two diehard Red Sox fans traveled to Leskanic's childhood home in Homestead, PA and burned it to the ground, while others think the curse was lifted in August when the Red Sox won three games in a row. Still others believe that the ghost of Leskanic was expelled from Boston in April, when Jimmy Buffett played to a sold-out crowd at Fenway Park; Leskanic was known for not being that into Jimmy Buffett.

Curtis Leskanic currently resides in Orlando, FL with his family, and works as a pro scouting consultant in the Red Sox organization. When reached for comment, he wished the Red Sox the best of luck

I'm presuming you (along with the rest of the World) went to bed at that point then. :)

It did look as though Boston could swipe them around at will, and Beckett looked pretty untouchable (which he's been most postseason).

However, the blowout isn't too bad. It is against Boston's best pitcher and it's always a struggle to take that first game at the others stadium. The main problems for me were the complete capitulation of the bullpen and the fact that virtually every Sox player got a hit (and probably a double at that). That bullpen has to see the Rockies through and this has to have blown away nearly all their confidence, whereas nearly every hitter for the Red Sox is going to be on their uppers.

It doesn't really matter though, because Tony La Russa signed a new contract. :grin:

Lol....I actually fell asleep watching the rest of it :wink: I had a large bet (over a hundred!) on over 10 runs....once that happened....which it did in spectacular fashion, I was completely disinterested as it was game over. And I agree...worryingly, the bullpen might've suffered from it and Beckett's been untouchable but thankfully nothing has stopped the Rockies from taking on Curt Shilling tonight and their bullpen so far has done the job up to this....the bottom of the 6th. Ok....2-1 down but still well in this game.....come on the Rockies! Win this and you're in Pole!

See Rummy....this is the sort of thing that fooks me off about the Red Sox!

"are attempting to defy the odds and do the impossible: reverse the curse of the journeyman reliever whose ghost has haunted this team since the mid-2000s."

As I've said before, I see the NYY as the Red Scum....and the Red Sox as the whiney Man :censored:! Think they've a god given reason to win, win and win! Yes, back in 2004 I buzzed off the Sox beating the Yankees in that series....it really got me into Baseball if I'm honest. But they go around with this losers tag like City do....when they're right up there, but not quite the best overall etc. To now go from that 80+yr curse, which I can understand them referring to.....now they're bringing up the most p.i.s.s.y attempt at recreating a so-called curse etc that needs re-writing! Pathetic!!! Typical Man :censored: rubbish in my eyes..............come on the Rockies!!!

My god....MVP Matt Holliday....hero to zero! Fancy getting on base for the Rockies and being so easily picked off.....that's possibly the end for the Rockies tonight....what a poor way to end the top of the 8th! Gutted....come on Rockies!

EDIT: And it was....gutting! Oh well....encouragement though! Must start with a win though on Saturday....night.....!

Edited by boundaryblue80

My god....MVP Matt Holliday....hero to zero! Fancy getting on base for the Rockies and being so easily picked off.....that's possibly the end for the Rockies tonight....what a poor way to end the top of the 8th! Gutted....come on Rockies!

EDIT: And it was....gutting! Oh well....encouragement though! Must start with a win though on Saturday....night.....!

Sadly, I was off giving it z's after 1's apiece.

As you say though Saturday is a must win for Colorado. Lose and I can see them going in four and everyone thinking 'if only a decent team had got through'.

Oh well....Game 4 is shortly upon us....and the Rockies trail 3-0. I've got that Sinatra song in my head "My Way!".....The Rockies potentially facing the final curtain but my god, they sure did it their way! Enjoyed the ride....just hope there's one more journey left in them! Probably was all too much! And the break won't have helped them....sweeping the Divisional Final often leads to a dip in form when they return over a week later.

Time to start the engine....Let's go Rockies!

EDIT: Top of 1st....already 1-0 down :disappointed:

Edited by boundaryblue80

And that was that! FINAL: Red Sox 4 Rockies 3

Well done to the Red Sox.....excellent baseball.....stepped up through the gears in every post-season game...Beckett (awesome in game 1), Lowell, Ortiz and Paplebon all showed how to win in post-season. Feel sorry for the Rockies and gutted it's ended like it has in a 4-0 sweep....I do think that 9 day break cost them badly. And last night and tonight they showed glimpses that they were turning the corner, starting to hit again and getting into the WS....but they couldn't quite do enough and time ran out too quickly. I think had they won tonight, they really could've took it back to Fenway with a win in Game 5.....but that's all history now!

Congratulations to the World Series Champions 2007: Boston Red Sox

Edited by boundaryblue80

Well following on from the wage levels at the various clubs, someones is about to go through the roof.

A-Rod is on the market having gone out as a free agent (knocking back over $70M in three years in the process).

Seems there are a whole heap load of options out there, not least Anaheim and the Dodgers who seem right up there. San Fran may try and replace one wage hogger with another in an attempt to keep their stadium full. Even Florida are being put forward (as they want their new stadium full).

Obviously people are looking for a third baseman-less club but the word is that he wants back at shortstop to pick up some golden gloves which went missing at the Yankees due to losing that position to Jeter.

Others out as free agents include Curt Schilling and David Eckstein - although both of them are getting pretty much past it now and are surely just out for one last pay deal).

Well following on from the wage levels at the various clubs, someones is about to go through the roof.

A-Rod is on the market having gone out as a free agent (knocking back over $70M in three years in the process).

Seems there are a whole heap load of options out there, not least Anaheim and the Dodgers who seem right up there. San Fran may try and replace one wage hogger with another in an attempt to keep their stadium full. Even Florida are being put forward (as they want their new stadium full).

Obviously people are looking for a third baseman-less club but the word is that he wants back at shortstop to pick up some golden gloves which went missing at the Yankees due to losing that position to Jeter.

Others out as free agents include Curt Schilling and David Eckstein - although both of them are getting pretty much past it now and are surely just out for one last pay deal).

Yeah, interesting stuff going on there...I was reading an article yesterday about how the MLB chiefs were furious that A-Rod's agent leaked it out during the 4th WS game, saying they were totally out of order for stealing the limelight. The agent gave an apology in reply, but I reckon it wasn't even meant and both he and A-Rod were sat laughing their heads off at how they did it for maximum exposure. Good that the Red Sox fans chatted "Don't sign A-Rod" during the game though!

Did find the Yankees presidents comment funny also...typical of the dirty Red Scum lik side when saying "how can you not want to be a Yankee?!?!"

Can now see him going to somewhere like San Fran like you suggest. Having Bonds off the wage bill opens the door wide open for him and it has been suggested that he wants to move to the West Coast. As for Shilling, think he'd be an excellent pick up for someone, even if it was just for one last pay deal. As long as he produces the goods....but if they're anything like what we have in football over here.....he'll probably just sit on it and coast *cough* Andy Liddell-esque *cough* :wink:

• 1 month later...
And I love the use of the term 'back then'.

Barry Bonds, cough.

Yay. The Mitchell Report is out.

It turns out there are cheats in baseball. Well I never.

Anyhow, naming and shaming:

Barry Bonds - all time home run hitter, currently indicted on charges of perjury – for lying about his drug abuse.

Roger Clemens (Yankees) – One of the best pitchers of all time. Has cleaned up the Cy Young award more times than any other pitcher.

Eric Gagne (Milwaukee) – Cy young winner, won (well tried to blow the run in to) last years World Series with Boston.

Jason Giambi (Yankees) – DH and pretty good too.

David Justice – Ex-Braves player. Used enhancers whilst with the Yankees though.

Chuck Knoblauch – Ex-Yankees. Won multiple WS’s. Again offences happen at the Yankees.

Andy Pettitte – Yankees AGAIN.

Gary Sheffield – Yankees, but this I think is more of a Barry Bonds connection – which he admitted to previously. Doesn’t do Bonds any good when he says he’s never touched the stuff though.

Miguel Tejada – Oakland Shortstop. Alleged/renowned cheat for ages. Never admitted it though.