There's obviously a lot of prejudice towards Ricketts because tonight he played well. I think some people have just had it in for him since the day he signed, and no matter what he does they will criticise him.

Totally agree, he is a big target.....failed ex-prem star......we love a good witch hunt dont we....

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a very tight game where the defences were on top, Andrews had Leeds only half chance first half, Prutton (apart from the goal) second half. Now let me see....oh yes Ricketts had our best chance deep into the Leeds box where is breath and stamina alloweed him to be....In fact he was fooled, still got his head to it but should have been a pen. Yeah Ricketts was crap all night long. Behave and lets have the truth. Did Taylor have any end product again tonight? he had one Saturday for Wolfy's goal. Did Davis have any chances? well to be fair it was a tight fought game and I thought apart the first 10 mins of each half we just nudged it.

i can't believe what i'm reading in this thread this morning! was ricketts excellent last night? of course not, but i genuinely thought he was one of our three best players on the night. the guy got zero service and zero support from his strike 'partner' but won his headers, showed great control and some decent passing too. would surely have scored in the second half too from our one decent cross of the night had he not been shoved in the back and under the ball.

As far as Ricketts goes, he had a good game last night. He got the flick ons and generally held the ball up well. I was one of those who had my doubts about him at the start of the season but credit where it is due, he just needs a strike partner who is on his wavelength. Davies looks to me to be low on confidence. He is not thinking when he gets the ball. Rather than trying to beat two men to set himself for the shot he needs to play the simple pass. He is a good player but needs to rebuild his game right now. I was gutted at losing 1-0 but when I was driving home I thought, If we play half as well as that at home for the rest of the season not many teams will take points off us. I just hope that that result didn't cause the lads heads to drop. It must have been doubly gutting for them to lose like that. As for Gregan, he was immense last night. I don't even lay an responsibility on him for the goal. There were enough players back to have closed down the scorer. One of those things I suppose.

Tired legs and tired minds. Leeds played two different games last night. First half they played the long ball but didn't get any joy out of Gregan and Hazell so changed it round in the second half and tried going out wide with the No 7 being used more and more.

My major concern is that the Leeds Keeper didn't have a shot to save all game. The nearest we came was Ricketts glancing header in the second half. Kilkenny fired in two excellent crosses from the left hand side which no one got on the end of. When the defence and attack fire together we will be formidable.

KEEP THE FAITH.

As far as Ricketts goes, he had a good game last night. He got the flick ons and generally held the ball up well. I was one of those who had my doubts about him at the start of the season but credit where it is due, he just needs a strike partner who is on his wavelength. Davies looks to me to be low on confidence. He is not thinking when he gets the ball. Rather than trying to beat two men to set himself for the shot he needs to play the simple pass. He is a good player but needs to rebuild his game right now. I was gutted at losing 1-0 but when I was driving home I thought, If we play half as well as that at home for the rest of the season not many teams will take points off us. I just hope that that result didn't cause the lads heads to drop. It must have been doubly gutting for them to lose like that. As for Gregan, he was immense last night. I don't even lay an responsibility on him for the goal. There were enough players back to have closed down the scorer. One of those things I suppose.

Tired legs and tired minds. Leeds played two different games last night. First half they played the long ball but didn't get any joy out of Gregan and Hazell so changed it round in the second half and tried going out wide with the No 7 being used more and more.

My major concern is that the Leeds Keeper didn't have a shot to save all game. The nearest we came was Ricketts glancing header in the second half. Kilkenny fired in two excellent crosses from the left hand side which no one got on the end of. When the defence and attack fire together we will be formidable.

KEEP THE FAITH.

Thought Gregan (after that daft bit of poncing about and then foul on Wayno) was exceptional. They did play to his skills by pumping long balls in. Hazell barely put a foot wrong too. Overall a very good defensive display. Although Kilkenny 'ran' our midfield I felt that Leeds did have the command of that area. Prutton and Thompson, although getting on a bit, still have a fair bit in their reserves and it showed a bit. Plus, Kalala to me got injured towards the end of the first half and wasn't quite the same again.

Up front, Ricketts had a decent performance against what looks a quality defence. To compare him to Davies will always be a daft move as they are totally different players. one to win the ball the other to run on it. They just aren't there at the moment, but striking partenerships rarely start up overnight. The Ricketts miss was a foul (right in front of me). It was good defending as it was enough of a foul to put him off, but not enough for the ref to give anything.

Davies started well, with that cross-field ball to Liddell the highlight of his day. But for god's sake he lost nearly all his marks with his gob. I'm surprised the ref didn't send him off, as most would. Hell, I would. After his period of idiocy he became a bit ineffectual as he had to go in his shell. I'd have had Wolfy on the moment he started looking more likely to walk than spend five more minutes on the pitch.

Shame about the end, but we will play many worse games and win this season.

I keep saying this about Davies- he's all over the place. He is a great player but should be either on the wing, or staying up front. It's starting to make Ricketts look bad as he doesn't have the support. Ricketts control and layoffs etc. are good but he needs someone with him.

I can not believe what i am reading about Ricketts, how can people say he is the worst player to play for us in a long while and that he was our worst player last night. Are you the same people who have a go at Lids and gregs and who were having a go at Wellens and porter last season? Ricketts may not being able to sprint around for 90 mins like Davies and Taylor can do but he offers the team so much more, he can control the ball in an instant, his movement is second to none its just that our other players dont always see it, he can pick out passes, given the chance he will score - fair enough he missed a decent enough chance last night but he was being pushed all over the place. Shez wants him to play as a target man, this is not his natural game, he likes the ball in to his feet or to be put through one on one with the keeper - he made is goal at Walsall look easy. In Ricketts, Lids and Kilkenny we have 3 of the most naturally talented players in league one, to suggest dropping any of them would be foolish.

I do agree that Wolfy should have been brought on slightly earlier but for Davies not for Ricketts.

Davies was wrecked by the end of the match, just as unfit as ricketts it seemed. Davies was also on a yellow card and not particularly looking like calming down, strugling to control balls, and wait i'm struggling to recall his shots on target? Ricketts might not be the best forward in the world, but I think your forgetting what league we're in, and being far to stuck in ur obsessed "we hate ricketts" ways to actually look at his performance and compare it with the rest.

Thank god your not manager, we'd have a five foot drawf and a bloke who would get knocked down to a five foot drawf upfront!!!

I can not believe what i am reading about Ricketts, how can people say he is the worst player to play for us in a long while and that he was our worst player last night. Are you the same people who have a go at Lids and gregs and who were having a go at Wellens and porter last season? Ricketts may not being able to sprint around for 90 mins like Davies and Taylor can do but he offers the team so much more, he can control the ball in an instant, his movement is second to none its just that our other players dont always see it, he can pick out passes, given the chance he will score - fair enough he missed a decent enough chance last night but he was being pushed all over the place. Shez wants him to play as a target man, this is not his natural game, he likes the ball in to his feet or to be put through one on one with the keeper - he made is goal at Walsall look easy. In Ricketts, Lids and Kilkenny we have 3 of the most naturally talented players in league one, to suggest dropping any of them would be foolish.

I do agree that Wolfy should have been brought on slightly earlier but for Davies not for Ricketts.

Gemma, I could have written that post myself almost word for word.

We wont see the best of Ricketts while he's being utilised with his back to goal, especially whilst his strike partner can't decide whether he's a CF, LW or RW. Runing onto goal (as he did at Walsall) will always be where we see the best out of Ricketts.

Wolfie should have been on with at least 20 mins to go, and you are spot on that it should have been Davies making way and not Ricketts.

I havent been the biggest Ricketts fan, but last night I thought he had a good game and showed what he can do, he was to me much more interested that on saturday and by no way should be slagged off on that performance - who was applauded when he went off.

I was surprised he went off and not Davies for WOlfie as Davies had lost it due to te ref being diabolical - though his theatrics were a bit much at times.

Anyway why the hell are we slagging anyone in the team off after last nites performance against a Leeds team that will go up,a nd it wouldnt surprise me if they are champions.

The team played well and on that performance we will be moving onwards and upwards so stop frigging moaning and get behind you bloody team you moaning muppets

The team played well and on that performance we will be moving onwards and upwards so stop frigging moaning and get behind you bloody team you moaning muppets

Erm yeh as i just said above i do .. all i said was I didnt think he played well thats all ... just an opinion .. and like said above while theyve got the blue shirt on ill support him etc .. not of them wholl boo him off and give him stick at the match .. No need for that.

It's alright, if Ricketts only scores another 3 times before the end of the season it will be okay because he gets these little flick ons and holds the ball well.

Let's get serious Ricketts is a striker, he didn't look a threat at all last night. I've never been quick to criticise any player and will back every player on the pitch, but I'm not going to wear rose tinted specs and say this player is excused for not doing his job because he did something as minor as a flick on.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

It's alright, if Ricketts only scores another 3 times before the end of the season it will be okay because he gets these little flick ons and holds the ball well.

Let's get serious Ricketts is a striker, he didn't look a threat at all last night. I've never been quick to criticise any player and will back every player on the pitch, but I'm not going to wear rose tinted specs and say this player is excused for not doing his job because he did something as minor as a flick on.

Let's get serious?

I wouldn't worry about rose-tinted specs but you may want to try taking off your opaque black ones. Ricketts did his job last night but was let down by his colleague, Craig Davies.

Then again, he runs around like a blue-arsed fly so that's ok.

Don't get me wrong, I like Davies and think he's a fantastic player. He isn't a striker though and hopefully Shez will realise it soon and gives Ricketts a proper foil up front - and add to our potency by putting CD on the wing. Left or right, I don't care.

Let's get serious?

I wouldn't worry about rose-tinted specs but you may want to try taking off your opaque black ones. Ricketts did his job last night but was let down by his colleague, Craig Davies.

Then again, he runs around like a blue-arsed fly so that's ok.

Don't get me wrong, I like Davies and think he's a fantastic player. He isn't a striker though and hopefully Shez will realise it soon and gives Ricketts a proper foil up front - and add to our potency by putting CD on the wing. Left or right, I don't care.

:dance::applause1:

...... I should just copy and paste this post after each game, getting a little boring don't you think but suppose there as to be someone in the team to point a finger at. Some like him some don't :lipsrsealed2:

If we play the ball to his feet or play him through one on one with the keeper then he will score. Give him the ball in the air 40 yards out then all he can do is flick it on, give it on the half way line with his back to goal, all he can do is hold it up and lay it off to our midfield

I would like to see Ricketts and Hughes up front, they should be on the same wave length, they've both played at a high level and should both be able to read the game well and see things quicker than most players at this level can. I would also like to Wolfy given a chance along side Ricketts, i think Wolfy could turn out to be a really good striker at this level and playing alongside Ricketts can only help him improve.

With regards to Davies i'd give him a chance on the left, Taylor is struggling out there and hardly ever gets balls into the box. A few weeks rest for him and hopefully he'll come back stronger than ever

One other thing with Ricketts - you could fire a ball at him from a cannon and he would bring it under control. His first touch is brilliant and this has been marvelled at by Neil Kilkenny no less - someone else who isn't a stanger to bringing a ball under control quickly.

I agree with Gemma and said it a while back. The footballing brains of Hughes and Ricketts could lead to a fantastic partnership up front for us. Such a shame that Hughes got injured but for now, I would have no qualms about starting the Wolf.

Ill retract afew of the harsher things said about Ricketts last night ... id still like him to look alittle more interested but ill be man enough to admit some i said was me letting off steam/heat of the moment stuff.

Onwards and Upwards.

Also just a note about CD on the wing ... maybe could swap him and Lidds for the Cheltenham game .. as Liddell has got a fantastic footballing brain .. just till Hughesy gets fit etc and see how CD does on the wing. Worth a 20 min try?

Edited by kellys_discopants

Ill retract afew of the harsher things said about Ricketts last night ... id still like him to look alittle more interested but ill be man enough to admit some i said was me letting off steam/heat of the moment stuff.

Onwards and Upwards.

Also just a note about CD on the wing ... maybe could swap him and Lidds for the Cheltenham game .. as Liddell has got a fantastic footballing brain .. just till Hughesy gets fit etc and see how CD does on the wing. Worth a 20 min try?

Lids does have a good footballing brain too but he does lack pace, perhaps he and Davies could interchange throughout the game? it would certainly keep their centre halfs and left back on their toes. They would have to be careful though to make sure that one of them was always tracking back to help out eards

Onwards and Upwards.

I know how you feel about letting off steam. I said to a mate this morning that I hadn't felt this gutted after a match since the QPR play-off defeat. Ridiculous really as we only dropped a point at a relatively early part of the Season. I'm just about coming to terms with it now but it really was a hammer blow.

I rarely criticise players on here (and never do at matches) but privately, I have wanted Lidds dropped for some time. I think though he has been working really hard recently and is actually trying to do things (like beating a man) which were alien to him last Season. It may be a good call to try him up front but the pace and "fox in the box" qualities of Wolfy are what we need.

I'd keep Lidds in and play CD on the left in place of Taylor. He could always come on in the second haf to replace Liddell.

Still, it's all down to Shez and he knows his players far better than any of us.

I think personally we need to change people around during the game more, E.G Lidds and Taylor. Itd keep there full backs occupied and if one isnt have much luck then they may well do on the other side. Taylor could come on the right for a while and whip a cross in with his right and give the fullback a different problem to what Liddell would offer him, with his pace ... and Lidds on the left could cut in now and again on the left and have a shot ... a nice curler in the top corner :D. If it dont work then just go back to what you started with.

I think we've now seen enough of the Ricketts / Davies partnership to know its not one thats going to get us a bagfull of goals this season. I like Ricketts, I think if he is given decent service ie ball to feet he can cause a lot of problems at this level. I'm not bothered about him chasing lost causes, Paul Warne did that to little effect. What is more concerning is that he's getting no support in the box either from Davies or the midfield players. More often than not when a cross comes in Davies is on the wing somewhere having either crossed it or played a part in the build up. The midfielders are generally 35 - 40 yards from goal leaving Ricketss on his own.I would try a Ricketts / Wolfy pairing with Davies out wide - probably left wing. When Hughes is fully fit I think him & Ricketts will be a much more effective partnership than Ricketts / Davies. At the moment Ricketts & Davies just do not look like a proper striking partnership.

As for Chris Taylor he is not a left winger and never will be. Too many runs end up with a cross behind the goal or him over running the ball. Consequently most of our attacks come down the right making it much more predictable for the defenders.

I thought Ricketts did really well some class touches and I clapped him as he came off. From the club's point of view we have to make it work with Ricketts even if only to restore his form with a view to a possible big bucks sale. The problem seems to me to be he does not yet gel with the rest of the team, and I am still on the fence as to whether this is his fault, or the tactics or whatever. Fact is that to me, in this league nippy quick uns like Wolfy cause more problems for defences than what Ricketts has to offer at the moment ...so its a connundrum for Shez to sort out.

As for Chris Taylor, his crosses are only effective from his right foot, so he always has to check back, so Taylor right wing and Davies left wing could be an option worth trying.

As for the moaners I really think some people go to enjoy moaning and it is pathetic eg in the main stand, row O at Chaddy side a drunken herbert with a hooped sweater was tossing V signs at Ricketts as he came off. Nowt like encouraging the lads is there. I don't reckon to be a football tactical genius like, but overall, as said earlier, the TEAM gave their all and I reckon we are on the right road, but Rome wasn't built in a day so for goodness sake encouragement not destructive herbertism is the way forward fans wise

Edited by eddyblue

One other thing with Ricketts - you could fire a ball at him from a cannon and he would bring it under control. His first touch is brilliant and this has been marvelled at by Neil Kilkenny no less - someone else who isn't a stanger to bringing a ball under control quickly.

I agree with Gemma and said it a while back. The footballing brains of Hughes and Ricketts could lead to a fantastic partnership up front for us. Such a shame that Hughes got injured but for now, I would have no qualms about starting the Wolf.

Footballing brains? :mmm: