Seriously? I must be watching a different game...he gets the ball, sees the opposing full back and turns looking for KK or Davies or whoever else. He puts 1 in 10 balls in, not 9 in 10 balls!

*At present, Eardleys the one playing that diagonal ball. From the flippin half way line and the oppo's defence goes "gobble, gobble, ta very much!" Either that or Ricketts wins it, nods it down for a runner....and they are, erm...nowhere near.

The only time he looks to pass the ball inside to KK is when there is no-one, or only Ricketts in the box, whats the point crossing the when its Ricketts against 3/4 defenders? Taylor needs to start coming in at the back post more - as Shez and Wright are constantly telling him to. We also have no central midfielder making runs into the box, McDonald did it very well at the beginning of last season. I know KK makes some good runs but he likes to wait on the edge of the area to pick up any cleared balls and Allot/Kalala dont really make any forward runs. Lids puts loads of great balls in but most of the time there is no-one in there to attack them

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe this for one second, sorry! Where has he said he's sees himself as a winger? I agree that it might be an option to try him out there. I don't think even Inspiral, who calls heavily for him to be played out there, thinks he's a winger just that his pace is worth putting onto the wings to try him there (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong).

To be honest Ross, you only have to watch Davies to see where he wants to be. He's constantly on the wing - usually the left. Shez has apparently told him to stop drifting wide but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. He's scored a few this Season from starting out wide or coming from deep - Clyde away; Accrington away; Walsall away.

Personally, I don't think that Davies has the necessary composure to be a goalscorer. Then again, because of his use of the ball, I'm not sure he would be a decent winger either - he needs to get his head up more and pick a pass rather than trying to dribble through the whole defence or shoot through a pack of defenders.

Playing him on the left would encourage him to cut inside and have a pop with his right foot and in that case, let's stick with Taylor. Playing him in Lidds position would give different options. Pace on both wings and hopefully, a couple of poachers waiting in the box. At the moment, when he is in a foot race, he's put through the middle where there are two CBs and it is easy for the Keeper to sweep. The ball therefore has to be great. Put him out wide and the angle will be better for the pass (much larger percentage for error) plus there will be less defenders. Got to be worth a try in my opinion as it will stretch the defence and encourage the centre mids to push on supporting the attack.

I totally agree that the first thought in Liddell's mind is to check his run and lay the ball back to Eardley. This has happened for over a Season now and it kind of defeats the object of having a winger. One other thing that is noticeable is that Liddell takes attacking throw-ins on the right usually to Eardley. In modern day football, fullbacks always (with very few exceptions) take the throw-ins. Another indication to me that Lidds really doesn't fancy being the one to beat a man/ cross.

It's a shame because at the moment, I think Liddell is playing better than he has done for some time and I actually believe he deserves a starting berth.

Playing him on the left would encourage him to cut inside and have a pop with his right foot and in that case, let's stick with Taylor. Playing him in Lidds position would give different options. Pace on both wings and hopefully, a couple of poachers waiting in the box. At the moment, when he is in a foot race, he's put through the middle where there are two CBs and it is easy for the Keeper to sweep. The ball therefore has to be great. Put him out wide and the angle will be better for the pass (much larger percentage for error) plus there will be less defenders. Got to be worth a try in my opinion as it will stretch the defence and encourage the centre mids to push on supporting the attack.

I agree with you that having two players with pace on the wing would be fantastic but they also need to be able to put decent balls into the box consistantly and neither Taylor nor Davies can do this. At this level we wont get a quick winger who can cross if they could do both then they would be playing at a higher level. So do we go for two wingers who cant cross but can run fast or one with pace and another who can cross the ball? I myself just can't see the point of two wingers who wont be able to put decent balls into the box

I agree with you that having two players with pace on the wing would be fantastic but they also need to be able to put decent balls into the box consistantly and neither Taylor nor Davies can do this. At this level we wont get a quick winger who can cross if they could do both then they would be playing at a higher level. So do we go for two wingers who cant cross but can run fast or one with pace and another who can cross the ball? I myself just can't see the point of two wingers who wont be able to put decent balls into the box

The thing is, as we've seen a few times this Season, Davies has the pace to get round the full-back and then head towards goal. Also, getting to the by-line means the pass is a cut-back rather than a cross which is a much easier art and also harder to defend.

It's a dilemma isn't it and I'm sure Shez and his Coaching team will find the right solution! :)

Taylor can't put a decent ball in from the left winger, coz he ain't a left winger. Should be on the right. For me, that's a no brainer. Then that leaves solving who to put on the left. Maybe worth trying Davies. Rather we went with Bert though and Lomax brought back from Dale. Agree that Lids is showing more willingness later, IC. Even has made 1 run (woo! :wink:) in each of the last 2 games to try and beat his man...which he has...see, maybe ya can do it Lids!...The 2nd of which vs Leeds, he should've shot from and scored (the old Lids at Sheff Utd or Wigan would've).....wtf was he doing? So, so, frustrating. But that's the one word that sums up his tenure at BP, for me.

Edited by boundaryblue80

The thing is, as we've seen a few times this Season, Davies has the pace to get round the full-back and then head towards goal. Also, getting to the by-line means the pass is a cut-back rather than a cross which is a much easier art and also harder to defend.

It's a dilemma isn't it and I'm sure Shez and his Coaching team will find the right solution! :)

I personally would give him a go on the left but as you say im sure Shez will get it right. It's good we have so many different options though as were normally screwed should a player get injured, it's nice we have players fighting for a place in the team instead of us having a starting 11 and no real quality in reserve.

Taylor can't put a decent ball in from the left winger, coz he ain't a left winger. Should be on the right. Then that leavs solving who to put on the left.

He can't put balls in consistantly on the right either. He's a player with great potential but he needs to work on his final ball and he needs to get his head and look instead of head down all the time

He can't put balls in consistantly on the right either. He's a player with great potential but he needs to work on his final ball and he needs to get his head and look instead of head down all the time

Eh? He was superb when he first started for us on the right. Then to fill a gap, he got switched to the left and stayed there. Any time, mid-game he gets switched over back to the right (very rare, if it happens) as he ain't played it for god knows how long, it's gunna take a few games to get used to playing there again. Taylor on RW is a must if the team is to go anywhere. Otherwords, we're treading the waters of mediocrity IMO.

Guest oa_exile
Seriously? I must be watching a different game...he gets the ball, sees the opposing full back and turns looking for KK or Davies or whoever else. He puts 1 in 10 balls in, not 9 in 10 balls!

Aye , either different games or the view from Chaddy is totally different from the Lower Lookers.

I stand by what i said , Lidds does the job that is asked of him (pity some of the others dont do as they are asked)

He plays on the wing , he tracks back looking for the ball as well as goes forward and puts in the required cross ............ what a winger is supposed to do.

As a further comment he also plays out wide and gives himself space so he does not need to go and attack and beat the full back to get his cross in.

Have a look tomorrow BB , do a Lidds watch and see how much space he makes for his self.

Anyway we have got off Topic here as its supposed to be about Rickets

Aye , either different games or the view from Chaddy is totally different from the Lower Lookers.

I stand by what i said , Lidds does the job that is asked of him (pity some of the others dont do as they are asked)

He plays on the wing , he tracks back looking for the ball as well as goes forward and puts in the required cross ............ what a winger is supposed to do.

As a further comment he also plays out wide and gives himself space so he does not need to go and attack and beat the full back to get his cross in.

Have a look tomorrow BB , do a Lidds watch and see how much space he makes for his self.

Anyway we have got off Topic here as its supposed to be about Rickets

For me, it ain't off topic. It's players like Lids and Taylor and the midfield who aren't playing to Ricketts abilities. Which I would've thought that's what Shez wants.

And that about "not having to beat his man" peeerrrrleeeeaaaassseeee!!! If there's a written rule book about how to play as a winger, that's probably number 2 behind point 1. Point 1 being to execute the cross.....which sometimes he does. Very, very few assists during 2007 though. Says everything to me. He's improved this season though, compared to the way he ended last season. But if he can't beat his man, he shouldn't be in the position IMO. Taylor can't as that ain't the wing he's gone through his career playing on. Lids can't coz he....can't!

As for Lids-watch tomorrow....not making it tomorrow unfortunately. Decided to save my pennies for them 5 away games in 17 days.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Apart from Coco, where have all the knockers gone from this post?

It seemed like loads were having a pop at MR but in reality, there were only 4 (plus Coco). Kellys_Discopants admitted it was "heat of the moment" so that leaves 3.

To be honest though, we all see things differently and let's not forget, Tuesday night was a bit emotional.

I think that Ricketts is gradually winning people over although of course there is the "odd" poster who will never see any worth in Ricketts even if he wins Player of the Season!

Guest oa_exile
And that about "not having to beat his man" peeerrrrleeeeaaaassseeee!!! If there's a written rule book about how to play as a winger, that's probably number 2 behind point 1. Point 1 being to execute the cross.....which sometimes he does. Very, very few assists during 2007 though. Says everything to me. He's improved this season though, compared to the way he ended last season. But if he can't beat his man, he shouldn't be in the position IMO. Taylor can't as that ain't the wing he's gone through his career playing on. Lids can't coz he....can't!

"But if he can't beat his man, he shouldn't be in the position IMO." ..............peeerrrrleeeeaaaassseeee!!! that is the same as saying , But if he can't cross well "he shouldn't be in the position IMO"....

Something young Taylor still has a lot to learn about....and dont give me he is on the left and should be on the right wing...........Taylor cuts inside on his right and still does not deliver the "telling cross" .......... and Taylor's assists for last and this season ???

"which sometimes he does. Very, very few assists during 2007 though. Says everything to me."

Think your getting your wingers mixed up with that quote :wink:

"But if he can't beat his man, he shouldn't be in the position IMO." ..............peeerrrrleeeeaaaassseeee!!! that is the same as saying , But if he can't cross well "he shouldn't be in the position IMO"....

Lol....Totally agree! Erm...which is why I'm saying put Taylor in his right position....

Something young Taylor still has a lot to learn about....and dont give me he is on the left and should be on the right wing...........Taylor cuts inside on his right and still does not deliver the "telling cross" .......... and Taylor's assists for last and this season ???

"which sometimes he does. Very, very few assists during 2007 though. Says everything to me."

Think your getting your wingers mixed up with that quote :wink:

Taylor cuts inside on his right...yeah...and then runs flat into a defender. Said all this before about Taylor numerous times. He shouldn't be cutting in, he should be getting past his man and whipping it in. He can't put that cross in on the left....simple as. Because a) he veers towards his marker as he runs down the left coz he can't control the ball at pace with his left, so gets stopped or b.) coz he can't cross it with his left if he ever does finally beat a man. Anyone who thinks Taylor is a LW, above a RW....well, they've not a clue! Stick him on the right, then he'll do it. Did it before he got shifted and will do it again if given a run there.

Moving Taylor is one of them things I thought Ronnie was stupid for doing and then couldn't believe when Shez followed on with it....and still can't!

As for stats, erm, you want to compare a kid coming through, playing out of position to Liddell? Lol....very fair! At a guess for 2007, I'd say their stats are probably identical.....well done Lids.....for keeping up with a kid who's out of position! Impressive!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Guest oa_exile
Moving Taylor is one of them things I thought Ronnie was stupid for doing and then couldn't believe when Shez followed on with it....and still can't!

As for stats, erm, you want to compare a kid coming through, playing out of position to Liddell? Lol....very fair! At a guess for 2007, I'd say their stats are probably identical.....well done Lids.....for keeping up with a kid who's out of position! Impressive!

Well it seems that both Rockin and Shez know something about Lidds that you dont ^_^ or they would both have and would be playing Taylor on the right :wink:

And on that note i rest my case :grin:

And as for Stats i will trove around looking for a "Taylor assist" *Cough* may take me a while though :wink:

Lol....Totally agree! Erm...which is why I'm saying put Taylor in his right position....

Taylor cuts inside on his right...yeah...and then runs flat into a defender. Said all this before about Taylor numerous times. He shouldn't be cutting in, he should be getting past his man and whipping it in. He can't put that cross in on the left....simple as. Because a) he veers towards his marker as he runs down the left coz he can't control the ball at pace with his left, so gets stopped or b.) coz he can't cross it with his left if he ever does finally beat a man. Anyone who thinks Taylor is a LW, above a RW....well, they've not a clue! Stick him on the right, then he'll do it. Did it before he got shifted and will do it again if given a run there.

When he was on the right his crosses weren;t that good. When he got switched to the left he played just as well as he had been doing on the right. He can put decent balls in the from the left as long as he looks up and picks a spot - his cross for Wolfy last week as is mentioned above. The problem is other teams have got to know about him, they know he is fast and they have worked out ways to stop him - whether he be on the left or right. No-one is saying he is a bad player just that he needs to improve on some areas of his game

Edited by Gemma06

Guest oa_exile
Wolfy V Crewe last week... :lol:

lol :blush: your right :grin: ............... :drinking45::ohno: well thats the last tinny for me tonight :wacko:

*Cough* name me one before that one :grin:

Well it seems that both Rockin and Shez know something about Lidds that you dont ^_^ or they would both have and would be playing Taylor on the right :wink:

And on that note i rest my case :grin:

And as for Stats i will trove around looking for a "Taylor assist" *Cough* may take me a while though :wink:

Shez dropped Lids last season for playing gash. He knows his legs have gone. Shame he was on 3yrs, coz I reckon Shez would've got rid otherwise. But he's stuck with him on his nice fat wage. Which he's earned for about 3mths of a 3yr contract. Can't wait till Smalleys fit...was gutted when he was injured at Burnley....gave Lids a reprieve because it looked likely he was about to cement that as his place. Ironic (or is it?) that Lids has since improved since that game. Not enough for me though.

Lids' behind the front two has opened locked doors for us when tried there once or twice. No problem with trying him there....that position will suit his football brain (which he has got) and suit his legs too.....but he's fairly ineffective on the right, Taylor is on the left and the reasons are pretty clear to see for me. Makes us easy to defend against, when playing half capable defences....hence not a shot on target on Tuesday, not breaking down 10 men Southend and looking obvious for a few other games this season. Just hoping that Chelts defence is like Walsalls and Crewes....but playing the better sides in this division....we're going nowhere near the top end of the table unless we sort out the wings. I just can't understand how you don't think there's a problem there! Oh well...

Edited by boundaryblue80

I don't believe this for one second, sorry! Where has he said he's sees himself as a winger? I agree that it might be an option to try him out there. I don't think even Inspiral, who calls heavily for him to be played out there, thinks he's a winger just that his pace is worth putting onto the wings to try him there (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong). In this case, Lids has to be removed from the wings. If pace is the answer, Lids ain't. Put him behind the front two if he has to play. Add to this, the only reason Davies is finding himself out there IMO, is coz of the completely regimented carbon-copy attacks we produce every single time down the wings. It goes....

Ball down the wing....to Taylor, he can't go past on his left foot so cuts in towards his marker, is tackled, falls over, ball needs recovering, Davies goes out to do so.

Or ball down to Lids....he can't beat his man, so he gets to edge of attacking 3rd....waits for back up....nearest man....yes, you guessed it, Davies!

It's wave after wave of the same move. Making competent defences able to deal with it with ease. That's what angered me about our performance on Tuesday and the hard luck stories. The cold fact was, we looked blank upfront because of the way we help defences out by the way we play. Once Davies does mop up those lose balls, yes, he's out of position. And the opposition has every man back that they need. For me, people need to stop pointing at the performances of Davies and Ricketts and question why this same, 1-dimesional rubbish is being allowed to continue. And not from August 5th but from February 2007!!!

Then tell me why he continually pulls out wide, invariably falling over Taylor who is also playing out of position in my opinion (humble as it is). He has spent more time closer to where I sit than the goals up to yet this season.

To be honest Ross, you only have to watch Davies to see where he wants to be. He's constantly on the wing - usually the left. Shez has apparently told him to stop drifting wide but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. He's scored a few this Season from starting out wide or coming from deep - Clyde away; Accrington away; Walsall away.

Personally, I don't think that Davies has the necessary composure to be a goalscorer. Then again, because of his use of the ball, I'm not sure he would be a decent winger either - he needs to get his head up more and pick a pass rather than trying to dribble through the whole defence or shoot through a pack of defenders.

I totally agree that the first thought in Liddell's mind is to check his run and lay the ball back to Eardley. This has happened for over a Season now and it kind of defeats the object of having a winger. One other thing that is noticeable is that Liddell takes attacking throw-ins on the right usually to Eardley. In modern day football, fullbacks always (with very few exceptions) take the throw-ins. Another indication to me that Lidds really doesn't fancy being the one to beat a man/ cross.

It's a shame because at the moment, I think Liddell is playing better than he has done for some time and I actually believe he deserves a starting berth.

I believe that with time Davies will be a goalscorer of high quality. There is nothing wrong with his heart or ability. It's just that it's all a bit too frenetic at the moment. Composure will come with experience and I think that is what Sheridan is trying to bring to Davies' game. The munber of times I've seen Sheridan pointing and saying "Clam down Calm down" beggars belief. Davies will eventually start to listen. Then watch him...

Edited by happyterryb

Guest oa_exile
The munber of times I've seen Sheridan pointing and saying "Clam down Calm down" beggars belief. Davies will eventually start to listen. Then watch him...

This seem's to be one of the main problem this season , players are just not listening or sticking to the game plan which is costing us !

.......Lidds does the job that is asked of him (pity some of the others dont do as they are asked)

I have seen Ricketts shaking his head on numerous occasions at the service (or lack of it) he is receiving from the wing(s). He, at least, is taking up the position which would be effective should the ball ever get anywhere near him. I was a Ricketts doubter at the start of the season because I listened to the comments from other clubs (Leeds, Preston etc) instead of forming my own opinion. I apologise for that Michael (if you read these posts). He is still struggling for match fitness and 70 minutes is about right currently. He is playing in a team that doesn't seem to be able to play to his strengths with a strike partner who I repeat, is not on his wavelength. Put Wolfy up alongside him and lets see what happens. It's got to be no worse than what is happening right now!!!! You never know. It could be another Heskey/Owen strike force.