BBC Manchester

My letter

I find it very dissapointing that you're no longer showing any form of coverage for the lower league clubs in the Manchester region. I am a supporter of Oldham Athletic and don't live in the Oldham area, although I live in Glossop which is able to pick up Radio Manchester. In the past I have had to put up with your coverage of Man City, at times I along with many other supporters of clubs have found this at times frustrating, but at the same time I understand that you have to cover the masses first and foremost.

Normally I usually go to every away game, but in the past when I was a youngster I couldn't afford to go to every game and used to listen to your service on a Matchday amost everyweekend Latics were away. I think that this is another example of the media forgetting the lower division clubs, with the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer in the system of English football. You have to remember it wasn't too long ago that clubs like Bolton, Wigan and even Man City were playing at this level of Football.

You have to remember there are normally 5,000 people at Home games at Boundary Park, a similar number at Edgley Park watching Stockport, and unlike myself not everyone can afford to travel to away games, certainly with the current climate of football as it is with ticket prices etc, not to mention rising train fares and fuel prices. Potentilly you could be losing a potential of over 10,000 listeners, not to mention if Wigan or Bolton got relegated would you continue covering these clubs? I think as a licence fee payer I have a right to be able to listed to my LOCAL radio station about my LOCAL football club as have many other people.

Its a very poor show that apart from Latics World there is basically no radio coverage of Latics on any radio station. That said, Tower FM, who used to broadcast all of Bolton's games plus updates on Bury no longer cover games so its not just us this radio ban is affecting.

Century FM used to cover M*n U*d fixtures but this is on XFM nowadays, and its only the game they cover. No build up, no previews or round ups / phone-ins. Which is a poor show really as it always makes me laugh when sad red barstewards ring up whenever they lose the toss or don't get a penalty and demand ferguson be sacked as a result of such a travesty of justice!!!

There's no difference to the Club between a slight flickering of interest that never shows itself at BP and one that's waned and died. Unfortunately what TTA have never had they'll never miss.

I hoped that from my phrase "slight flickering of interest" you'd guess that I meant they might come to 1 or 2 games a season. And listen for updates on the radio for the rest. Now they don't get updates, I can see the apathy taking a stronger hold and killing off any of that "flicker" left.

I hoped that from my phrase "slight flickering of interest" you'd guess that I meant they might come to 1 or 2 games a season. And listen for updates on the radio for the rest. Now they don't get updates, I can see the apathy taking a stronger hold and killing off any of that "flicker" left.

I thought the "slight flickering of interest" was going to the great lengths of reading the rarely wrong Chron and listening to Radio Manc, without actually shifting their arses to where the action and continuing debts are.

I thought the "slight flickering of interest" was going to the great lengths of reading the rarely wrong Chron and listening to Radio Manc, without actually shifting their arses to where the action and continuing debts are.

Lol, we need two seperate phrases then to fill each category.

I'd class the 2nd lot you mean as the "apathetic wan***s!"

Edited by boundaryblue80

This would certainly not happen if City were still in the Championship / League One
its awfull news, i thought something was amiss when john gilder wasnt at b.p. on saturday, but they had reporters at other games like stockport. i will have to send them an email as i have been a big listener on radio manchester for what seems like forever. if a goal is scored you hear about it first from john gilder. if this isnt reversed, then i will not listen on saturdays, as i am not interested in united city or bolton or wigan. i am quite crestfallen.

its awfull news, i thought something was amiss when john gilder wasnt at b.p. on saturday, but they had reporters at other games like stockport. i will have to send them an email as i have been a big listener on radio manchester for what seems like forever. if a goal is scored you hear about it first from john gilder. if this isnt reversed, then i will not listen on saturdays, as i am not interested in united city or bolton or wigan. i am quite crestfallen.

i have just sent them an email to protest.

I can't argue with that description.

why doesnt 96.2 the revolution cover our games then???

or maybe now that rupert murdoch has gashed up sky sports news for all of us,that channel m could do maybe a saturday sports update show,just covering all the local teams.

also you could get your own back by way of getting a good cup run going then when linekar and his goons want to cover one of our games we could ban them from bp,lol

noticed this last sat when i unfortunatly had to work no coverage of tics but plenty of stockport (brentford away ) dale (shrewsbury away ) non for bury and macc full comentry citeh full comentry noblot regular updates scum looks like it may only be home games there not covering but could be wrong can someone tell me how its cheaper to get to brentford of or shrewsbury from manchester than to bp hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Just thrown my own complaint in with regard to this issue. The following being a copy of what I have sent:

Hi, As a BBC licence holder, I would like to lodge an official complaint with regard to the fact BBC Manchester no longer intend giving radio coverage to the football clubs OUTSIDE of the Premier League. I understand they have cited the costs involved in covering these games as the reason for their decision. However, in this day and age of wall-to-wall coverage by Sky & Satanta of the Premier League clubs I feel this decision is despicable in terms of the other lower league clubs within the Manchester area. We already suffer through a lack of exposure due to Sky and the round-ups received through the BBC are part of the traditional Saturday afternoon for fans at the game and those who can't attend. I would also like to ask, should Man City, Bolton and Wigan (As you don't hold any rights to Man Utd's games, which belong exclusively to XFM) find themselves relegated to the Championship and beyond, does this mean that the BBC wouldn't have any football coverage? Or would you manage to find some money to cover your beloved Man City in the lower footballing echelons? I hope this complaint receives a fair hearing and that someone in authority can see sense and reverse the decision NOT to cover the lower leagues. Regards Darryl Cornick

why doesnt 96.2 the revolution cover our games then???

if we remember back to a few seasons ago when we were the only unbeaten away team in the 4 divisions i used to hear the revolution giving there sports news reports out on a monday morning on my way home....

bearing in mind it was march before we got beat...... i remember one particular monday morning after we had won again, and the two manchester teams had lost and drawn (iirc!)

not a dicky bird about latics...so i was straight on the blower..

" oldhams radio station, blah blah ..... oldham has it's own football team... blah blah..."

5 mins later the b/fast team announced on air that a listener had phoned in to complain about lack of coverage... answer was that they ( and i assume the radio station!) didnt control the news feed... so there was not a lot they could do about it!!!

well to say that most of the b/fast programmes i have ever listened to are made up of ad-hoc drivel...i'm sure it wouldn't of been impossible to champion the towns football team as they did their own radio station.....

the bbc are simply not interested ..full stop! it seems they would rather have a programme made up of utd fans ringing in to say that although they didnt go to the game, on tv it looked blah blah.....

and city fans calling in to say that even though they havent been in years... they have heard from their mates at work that they may even finish higher up than blah blah........

radio broadcasting at it's best....