Ritchie Wellens

Your right.... there is a difference.

Richie moved in the same league, to a team with no better players and no better chance at moving himself up in the grand scheme, for money.

Porter moved to a better league (at it's highest level admittedly) with the chance to play his way into the Champions League, for more money.

You are right, I'd not noticed it before... WELLENS was more 'in the wrong' than Porter!!! They're not the same after all!

Funny ol' world.

Stop kidding yourself.

At the times Doncaster were bringing in some very good players at this level and almost everybody saw them as almost certainties for at least a play off place. We on the other hand had faltered badly for the previous few months and weren't looking like doing anything this season with the only transfer news being departures. Doncaster also offered him more money than us but the main reason to leave was ambition. If you want to blindly overlook that Doncaster were being far more ambitious in the transfer market than possibly any other team in this division at that time then that's fine, but it's the truth. Also Richie was open and honest about the whole thing, he never said he was staying and he had said that he would move if he thought it would further his career and imo when he moved I felt it was a good move for him given the players they had brought in.

Now you have Porter. I seem to remember at the time he gave assurances that he would stay, something which TTA confirmed? Then you have the total lack of ambition PURELY to line his pockets. Are you seriously going to believe that moving to Motherwell is a better move than going to PNE or Plymouth? Fair enough you get to play against 2 mid table Prem sides a few times a season, but seriously is it really more ambitious to move to a league and a team that is possibly lower in standard to League One and ourselves? You think he did it so he might be able to win himself a transfer to Celtic or Rangers? Not a chance he though that far ahead going off his interviews when he was with us. he was just manipulated by his agent to take the move Scotland so that they could share a lovely inflated signing on fee. Had he gone to the Championship or Prem and their had been a 'loophole' that meant we get nothing I wouldn't be mad about it because it would show genuine ambition. Moving to Scotland, one of the poorest top divisions in Europe proves nothing but his greed.

Feel free to ignore all that though to continue your one man porter love-in

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop kidding yourself.

At the times Doncaster were bringing in some very good players at this level and almost everybody saw them as almost certainties for at least a play off place. We on the other hand had faltered badly for the previous few months and weren't looking like doing anything this season with the only transfer news being departures. Doncaster also offered him more money than us but the main reason to leave was ambition. If you want to blindly overlook that Doncaster were being far more ambitious in the transfer market than possibly any other team in this division at that time then that's fine, but it's the truth. Also Richie was open and honest about the whole thing, he never said he was staying and he had said that he would move if he thought it would further his career and imo when he moved I felt it was a good move for him given the players they had brought in.

Now you have Porter. I seem to remember at the time he gave assurances that he would stay, something which TTA confirmed? Then you have the total lack of ambition PURELY to line his pockets. Are you seriously going to believe that moving to Motherwell is a better move than going to PNE or Plymouth? Fair enough you get to play against 2 mid table Prem sides a few times a season, but seriously is it really more ambitious to move to a league and a team that is possibly lower in standard to League One and ourselves? You think he did it so he might be able to win himself a transfer to Celtic or Rangers? Not a chance he though that far ahead going off his interviews when he was with us. he was just manipulated by his agent to take the move Scotland so that they could share a lovely inflated signing on fee. Had he gone to the Championship or Prem and their had been a 'loophole' that meant we get nothing I wouldn't be mad about it because it would show genuine ambition. Moving to Scotland, one of the poorest top divisions in Europe proves nothing but his greed.

Feel free to ignore all that though to continue your one man porter love-in

Its already been said, but there was a world of difference - I hope you are playing devils advocate my friend!

Its an old arguement... but here we go again... Richie was clear in the press constantly that it would be very hard for him to stay at oldham, he kept in contact with the management, and they released in sync reports saying similar things... which ever club he moved to is irrelevant, we couldnt match the money, and he moved to secure more money for his family and future.... but the club were prepared for him leaving...

Now... using your agent to spread rumour, promising one thing and doing another... and basically just being a secretive, misleading scumbag is a totally different matter... I never really had any bitterness about who porter went to - it was the way it was done...

Ask yourself this, Richie has been seen in the stands a couple of times, and the fans have allowed him to be there, with a jokey acceptance.... shows that most thought he did right for himself and the club... do you think Mr P would get a similar sort of reception if he sat in the stands...??

There may not be too much difference, but its all about how you handle yourself...

As you say Big Fin, it's old ground... but I think this is one and the same... yes Porter was misleading about where he wanted to be (misguided by an Agent perhaps?) but then Wellens only released the "hard to stay at Oldham" stuff so that he could prise more money out of us and others interested.

It's all opinions, and is the reason football is as interesting as it is. But I personally have no grudge against Porter.

Chris Killen has played in the Champions League against Milan... he was on when Celtic scored the winner in one of their most historic victories... Porter is clearly looking at that as a potential future for him, and who's to say that's not a smart thing for him to do??

Wellens on the other hand tried to take money from us and when he couldn't get it he went where he could. No remorse from him either, tried to get more money from us in a different but equally effective way and in general Porter did nothing Wellens wouldn't have done if he thought it'd have got him an extra £10!! And it's not like he can say he's gone for footballing reasons like Porter. He turned down less money from the Championship to stay at this level where he does not have to fight for his place.

Wellens is a talented player, and I'd have him back in the side... just as I would Porter... but neither have shown loyalty and are as 'bad' as each other IMO.

As for the Porter love-in... well, that's just childish.

We erm............ didn't lose £700k because no-one was willing to pay that amount.

You dont know that...... The club was confident of getting that amount so why you so sure no one was willing to pay that much ??

You spout some crap mate...

You dont know that...... The club was confident of getting that amount so why you so sure no one was willing to pay that much ??

anyway back to the topic!!

i'd have him back for the simple reason of january 1st 2008..... as in we may not have kilkenny then!

(if that makes sense??)

I don't understand the idea that a player would move to a crap team in Scotland to have a chance of Champions League football. How many players have Celtic or the Huns signed from Motherwell in the last decade? The fact is that players in the lower half of the SPL tend to go to England to further their careers.

Well, no one did pay that much and he left on a free, which is good enough reason to say that no one was willing to pay it. When it became clear he was going to Scotland someone could have easily offered to buy him on the cheap (which I am sure we would have accepted), but no one did.

Edited by dave_ragg1984

Guest amoweb
Just wondering, are you a fan of Gregan?

I am 70/30 in favour of liking Gregan. He also has this trait of mouthing to the Ref to much and one day he will come a cropper with it.

Well, no one did pay that much and he left on a free, which is good enough reason to say that no one was willing to pay it. When it became clear he was going to Scotland someone could have easily offered to buy him on the cheap (which I am sure we would have accepted), but no one did.

Im sorry dave but the decision was Porters not the clubs!!! It dosent matter if we had a 40 million pound offer for him he could of still turned it down and gone to scotland on a free!! Nobody actually knows what offers or intrest had been expressed! So to make the statement that "no one was willing to pay it" is completly unfounded.

Im sorry dave but the decision was Porters not the clubs!!! It dosent matter if we had a 40 million pound offer for him he could of still turned it down and gone to scotland on a free!! Nobody actually knows what offers or intrest had been expressed! So to make the statement that "no one was willing to pay it" is completly unfounded.

Why is it unfounded? The club went to town on Porter, expressing all the assurances he'd given, etc. Pretty certain.....infact....completely certain that the club would've put it in the press that we'd had a bid and Porter refused to go to the club, citing he wanted to go to Scotland. Back in Jan, Porter was probably worth £700,000 (which I believe we did turn down a bid of) but come the summer, his drying up of goals and injuries meant that....nobody was willing to pay it. Anyone who thinks otherwise, mustve have kept up with TTAs policy of washing their dirty linen in the public.

Why is it unfounded? The club went to town on Porter, expressing all the assurances he'd given, etc. Pretty certain.....infact....completely certain that the club would've put it in the press that we'd had a bid and Porter refused to go to the club, citing he wanted to go to Scotland. Back in Jan, Porter was probably worth £700,000 (which I believe we did turn down a bid of) but come the summer, his drying up of goals and injuries meant that....nobody was willing to pay it. Anyone who thinks otherwise, mustve have kept up with TTAs policy of washing their dirty linen in the public.

YOU DONT KNOW THAT! You dont know what,if any deals, Porter turned down before going to scotland. You dont know what intrest, if any, had been expressed by other clubs. Not every club signals in the public domain what players they are intrested or have enquired about.

What we do know is that the majority latics fan, rival suppoters and club expected him to leave in the summer. The only way he would of done that for nothing is going to another country. What we do know is that if a club had to pay a transfer fee for him this would more than likely restrict is wage. Not the case if he went to another country. What we do know is that he suddenly out of the blue was off to scotland.....

I will repeat YOU HAVENT GOT A CLUE what offers were submitted or were about to be submitted... ANd you HAVENT GOT A CLUE what intrest had been put to the club in the background....

Thats why your post is completly unfounded....

YOU DONT KNOW THAT! You dont know what,if any deals, Porter turned down before going to scotland. You dont know what intrest, if any, had been expressed by other clubs. Not every club signals in the public domain what players they are intrested or have enquired about.

What we do know is that the majority latics fan, rival suppoters and club expected him to leave in the summer. The only way he would of done that for nothing is going to another country. What we do know is that if a club had to pay a transfer fee for him this would more than likely restrict is wage. Not the case if he went to another country. What we do know is that he suddenly out of the blue was off to scotland.....

I will repeat YOU HAVENT GOT A CLUE what offers were submitted or were about to be submitted... ANd you HAVENT GOT A CLUE what intrest had been put to the club in the background....

Thats why your post is completly unfounded....

So do we know that for a fact other clubs were interested as well as motherwell in Porter. You say we can't prove that their wasn't interest from other clubs but at the same time can you prove their WAS concrete offers from clubs to us to buy porter and did he turn down anyone say in the championship for a chance to go to Motherwell?

Plus he's a footballer not a fan he will be loyal to a club if it suits him meaning if they offer the best terms and he is no different to any other player.

Edited by GlossopLatic

You say we can't prove that their wasn't interest from other clubs but at the same time can you prove their WAS concrete offers from clubs to us to buy porter

Lol...yeah...well said GL....so in otherwords OAFC0000.....nobody came with £700,000 on the table, we didn't "lose" £700,000....unless you can prove me wrong! Nope? Didn't think so.....

Ta, ta!

Edited by boundaryblue80

I think all of the facts and opinion have been aired before.

Plymouth offered £600k (or was it £650k?) in January which was turned down. TTA knew that if it went to a tribunal, then they would get at least that sum provided Porter stayed in England. The fees paid for Will Hoskins (£1.5m?) and Billy Sharp (£2m?) suggest this was pretty reasonable.

Porter and his Agent committed to Latics that he would either stay in England or sign the new deal that was on the table.

The matter would have come to a head in summer. Either a Club (in England) would have had to risk a tribunal (paying £600/ 650k minimum) or Porter would have stayed at Latics. That is really what all at Latics - plus the - wanted.

He choose to break his promise losing the Club money (or at least depriving them of an asset) and that is why he is disliked by many. Yes he was a good player and he scored plenty of goals but the manner of him leaving left a bitter taste.

The scenario with Wellens was completely different.

Lol...yeah...well said GL....so in otherwords OAFC0000.....nobody came with £700,000 on the table, we didn't "lose" £700,000....unless you can prove me wrong! Nope? Didn't think so.....

Ta, ta!

You have got to be one of simplest people i have ever dealt with!

You said "no one was willing to pay it"

I basically said you dont know that!

And you think because I cant prove someone was willing to pay it that automatically Qualifies the opposite. Your a bit simple mate. But we can prove it though! plymouth offered 600k! I aint arguing over a 100k....

The facts have been presented above. If he had moved to another club in England we would of got around 700k for him. He didnt, so we lost a 700k ish rated player. Thats the same as loseing 700k....I you really that dumb you cant see that ?

God this is hard work....what a wally

Edited by oafc0000

You have got to be one of simplest people i have ever dealt with!

You said "no one was willing to pay it"

I basically said you dont know that!

And you think because I cant prove someone was willing to pay it that automatically Qualifies the opposite. Your a bit simple mate. But we can prove it though! plymouth offered 600k! I aint arguing over a 100k....

The facts have been presented above. If he had moved to another club in England we would of got around 700k for him. He didnt, so we lost a 700k ish rated player.

God this is hard work....what a wally

Nah, you're pretty simple mate....nobody came in with a £700k bid in close season (WTF has Plymouths 600k about, adding in bits now eh to help your flailing point....we're talking about close season and the difference between Porter and Wellens.) No-one would either IMO as he'd lost that value. Everyone bar you seems to know that no bid came in (we'd know as the club would've said otherwise)......That's the simple bit! But you keep this charade going and throwing in the insults if ya wish....need some toys with that?

Edited by boundaryblue80

Nah, you're pretty simple mate....nobody came in with a £700k bid in close season. No-one would either IMO as he'd lost that value. Everyone bar you seems to know that no bid came in (we'd know as the club would've said otherwise)......That's the simple bit! But you keep this charade going and throwing in the insults if ya wish....need some toys with that?

There you have it...its your iditoic opinion that no one would of come in....even though we had plenty of intrest all through the season for him....you have nothing in reality to base your opinion on....

There you have it...its your iditoic opinion that no one would of come in....even though we had plenty of intrest all through the season for him....you have nothing in reality to base your opinion on....

The fact TTA haven't said there was a bid. If there was, as in January, they would've said. :censored: me, are you really this stupid, or just pretending?

Edited by boundaryblue80

The fact TTA haven't said there was a bid. If there was, as in January, they would've said. :censored: me, are you really this stupid, or just pretending?

If there was a bid or not is not the point though!!! Your trying to say because there was no big that justifies your argument that no one would of bidded for him. Even though he was getting tons intrest from the whole of league one, championship and even some premiership clubs! Do you really think Motherwell was the only team in scotland to approach him ? Do you really think they were the only club after his signature ??? The guy had smacked in 20+ goals!

also if another club didnt want to go public with an approach then latics wouldnt tell us anyway!!!

rolls eyes....

Edited by oafc0000

If there was a bid or not is not the point though!!!

Lol....you've just spent over a day telling us that it is the point....and that I and others can't prove there wasn't one....make your mind up!

And....interest from Premiership clubs? :grin: Come on mate, put the sherbert dips down now! Oh.....and if you think Brum were interested, 1) you'll believe anything and 2) they were a Championship club when Porters agent was also on sherbert dips!

Motherwell....no, not the only SPL club interested I presume, however they clearly offered the most money.

To be honest, not even sure what you're arguing now here....I know what Porters done and think he's scum. Which I think we're both actually agreeing on....unfortunately, it seems that me and a few others pointing out that no £700,000 was on offer in the summer (which it clearly wasn't, unless you can't think too clearly) has led to you let your emotions run away with you and read straight into it that we're sticking up for Porter. Not one bit! Hope that calms you down a little!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Lol....you've just spent over a day telling us that it is the point....and that I and others can't prove there wasn't one....make your mind up!

And....interest from Premiership clubs? :grin: Come on mate, put the sherbert dips down now! Oh.....and if you think Brum were interested, 1) you'll believe anything and 2) they were a Championship club when Porters agent was also on sherbert dips!

Motherwell....no, not the only SPL club interested I presume, however they clearly offered the most money.

To be honest, not even sure what you're arguing now here....I know what Porters done and think he's scum. Which I think we're both actually agreeing on....unfortunately, it seems that me and a few others pointing out that no £700,000 was on offer in the summer (which it clearly wasn't, unless you can't think too clearly) has led to you let your emotions run away with you and read straight into it that we're sticking up for Porter. Not one bit! Hope that calms you down a little!

Shows how much you know, both Botlon and Middlesborugh had him scouted and were thinking of submitting offers.....

As for the rest of your post....pish!

Shows how much you know, both Botlon and Middlesborugh had him scouted and were thinking of submitting offers.....

As for the rest of your post....pish!

They were thinking of submitting a bid??? Really? Or (IMO, more likely) they thought they'd have 1 look at him and never came back. Who knows? Neither of us!

And the rest of my post...."Pish"....hahaha.....you mean, you got to the end and realised that we're not having a "Porter right or wrong" debate and you've decided to wind your neck in. Lol....good, good. Bye!

For the sake of mine and other moderators health i am closing this thread as it has gone waaaay off topic.

If you two decide you want to continue the arguement please continue to use the PM facility as I know he is gone and there aint much any of us can do about it, and argueing over who said what, who did what and so on, gets nobody nowhere.

I know you two are pretty strong personality wise and we love nothing that a good debate, but please dont be insulting to each others opinions by calling people idiotic?

Cheers