the safe standing debate

daznathe

Safe Standing  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of a "Safe standing" area being introduced at BP?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

i mentioned in the atmosphere topic a while back that in my opinion the introduction of 500 'safe standing' places would improve the atmosphere. this has now been picked up by sky sports news who are running a feature on this. whats your views..

It would be great, but it will never happen. The politicians have very little to gain from changing the rules and they won't take the chance of being blamed if some trouble kicks off in a stanfding area, regardless of whether or not that had anything to do with it.

All this said, its maddness that music venues get away with it and the football dosent...

This is an angle I haven't heard before, though I guess a music venue and a football match are a little different. The way the crowd are dealt with is similar though, surely?

I've never experienced anything other than a sitting environment but I think it would be a good experiment to see whether standing areas bring back proper atmospheres.

Keep the Faith

I answered yes.....

But I think the chances are slim and I am yet to be convinced that there is such a thing as a "safe" standning area.

All this said, its maddness that music venues get away with it and the football dosent...

and rugby and horse racing

This is an angle I haven't heard before, though I guess a music venue and a football match are a little different. The way the crowd are dealt with is similar though, surely?

I've never experienced anything other than a sitting environment but I think it would be a good experiment to see whether standing areas bring back proper atmospheres.

Keep the Faith

But thats the thing, they arent really. The same type of people tend to go, the same if not more beer is drunk, the surges forward at a rock gig can be much worse than any football match. You can have 30,000 people surging forward with no crush barriers etc etc.... Gigs can be far worse than anything a football crowd creates in my experience...

Also the majority of huge gigs are in football stadiums...its all a little sillly.

I suppose standing area would be ok now we dont have fences....

Edited by oafc0000

But thats the thing, they arent really. The same type of people tend to go, the same if not more beer is drunk, the surges forward at a rock gig can be much worse than any football match. You can have 30,000 people surging forward with no crush barriers etc etc.... Gigs can be far worse than anything a football crowd creates in my experience...

Also the majority of huge gigs are in football stadiums...its all a little sillly.

There is just no getting around the fact that sometimes people in football crowds split into two groups and hit each other. It's a fundamental difference.

There is just no getting around the fact that sometimes people in football crowds split into two groups and hit each other. It's a fundamental difference.

Your confusing the issue of segregation and "safe standing" areas....and in the context the post was said in....

Edited by oafc0000

Your confusing the issue of segregation and "safe standing" areas....and in the context the post was said in....

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but the problem is the perceptions of the politicians and the media. Terraces are associated in the popular mind with violence and death/injury, and that's why there's nothing in it for any politician to relax the rules.

The arguement and move towards all seater stadiums has always been flawed in my eyes. The two main factors in this were the Bradford fire and the Hillsborough disaster which both prompted public enquiries.

Firstly the Bradford fire was nothing to do with standing, it was to do with a dilapidated stadium, but it was used as an excuse to update all stadiums with legislation for safety, which including the all seater recommendation. And in my eyes it is much quicker to exit a 'standing' stand than a seated one where you have to shuffle along the rows of seats to get out. I always thought that in an emergency I would fancy my chances of getting out of a standing Chaddy much quicker than in a seated one, so the all seater argument for me in terms of a fire was flawed.

Hillsborough again was used an an argument to go to all seater, and it's true to say that the crush would not have happened inside the ground had seats been in place. But it still would have happened out of sight of the pitch had fans forced their way in like this, probably in the concourse or something. But at the end of the day tragedy that day was down to inept policing and stewardship more than anything else. Certainly not because it was a standing area.

If this is going to happen, we need to move fast before the plans for our new stadium are finally approved! Can't see the club wanting to do this retrospectivley after the new stadium has been built.

besides, at some gigs you have a Wall Of Death which is hardly something you'll find at a football match

I've found at certain grounds seating to be quite dangerous, a perfect example was Rotherham where there was absaloutly no leg room and when we scored, I just couldn't move. Plus another thing about standing, say now theres a big group of your mates and a game has been made all-ticket, you then have to go through all the arrangements for all your mates to sit together, with a terrace theres no need for the hassle

You clearly havent been to upton park :P

as some may be aware from the old ( and totally superior ) m.board, i am 100% totally for a standing area.......a place where we can be free from the nanny state rules at football matches, even if it`s just for 90 mins !!!!

there is absolutely no logic or justification in having `enforced` all seater stadiums........there never has been, and never will be.

It should be brought back as there is nothing wrong with 'safe standing'. If you look at the German games they have no trouble what so ever and they have massive safe standing terraces. The only reason why the FA and other associations don't want it to be introduced is because they know they will lose money because it would be cheaper to get in. Politicians jump on the band wagon so currently they agree with 'ohh it'll just cause another Hillsborough..' but they'll be straight onto the 'introduce it' if it'll get them votes.

not to mention the Bundesliga gets the biggest crowds out of any other league in the world. I think there are about 5 teams that average over 50,000. They say it's because all the families can sit together, all the people there to have a good sing song are in another so everyones happy

It's worth pointing out that it is never going to like the olden days, when there were fields all round. They would design any new terracing to guarantee there were no huge surges like the Chaddy of yore, now that was bloody dangerous, and damn good fun.

It's worth pointing out that it is never going to like the olden days, when there were fields all round. They would design any new terracing to guarantee there were no huge surges like the Chaddy of yore, now that was bloody dangerous, and damn good fun.

I can see where your coming from, I think safe standing means a barrier on every row, so no chance of the surges