the safe standing debate

daznathe

Safe Standing  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of a "Safe standing" area being introduced at BP?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Standing areas should definitely be brought back to football stadiums.

The chance of another Hillsborough happening is very unlikley due to better security of grounds and organising of games.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, there are plent of German stadiums which have standing areas - they don't seem to have many problems. The standing area at Borussia Dortmund looks awesome.

I would be in favour, yes.

We all know the Taylor Report was seriously flawed.

Plenty of fans prefer to stand.

It would (should) be cheaper - so hopefully a slightly bigger gate.

Done right, it can only improve the atmosphere.

I wouldn't use it mind - I'm a lazy old git these days. :grin:

i think bringing back standing would be a great idea - problem is that the uk gets more like yankland everyday and people are getting sue crazy! plus when ur sat in the paddock and it starts raing you get completely soaked! if u was standing then it'd be the top of your head.

We all know the Taylor Report was seriously flawed.

I would love to see standing come back! I really would. Its just sooo much better! But I cant just let comments like this fly around without being challenged!

Football was utter madness pre hillsbrough, something needed to change! The Taylor report was a massive step forward and brought so many posative changes.

I think its only possible to NOW have a discussion about bringing back standing areas to grounds only because of the progress we have made in other area, thanks largely to the Taylor report..

We need to find ways of bringing back the atmosphere and fun....but we cant ever go back to those dark days....football grounds were death traps... Its down to the modern stadiums with proper stewarding etc that its possible to bring in standning...

Edited by oafc0000

can anybody explain to me how the hallwell jones stadium home of warrington rl has two sides that are standing one of which is an upper tear this is a new n build stadium of 14000 capacity so what is the differance between thugby and football !

The stadium was built for the use of Rugby and not football. Rugby has no restrictions against standing.

Im not sure who the top power is on the matter. I always thought the FA agreed to the taylor report and imposed restrictions on what is allowed at different stadiums. At first only the Premier League had to be all seater and then they extended this to the championship (or whatever it was at the time). I think under FA rules its still possible to have terraces in league one and two...but soon as u get into the Championship you have to go all seater (i think you get two years to complie or something).

So it would be possible to build a new stadium with terraces but we wouldnt be able to go up!

Also, the local council would certainly reject any proposal for a new stadium with standning sections. I dont know if there is actually laws against it, but a local planning officer would certainly question the long term prospect of a new football stadium that wasnt all seater surely...

Maybe someone more in the know could clear it up....

I've been to Knowsley Road when it's absolutely packed to the rafters on more than one occaision. However, I have never witnessed a single surge - plenty of jumping up and down and that - but no surges. It don't answer your question much, but the behaviour of the fans looks like a main factor.

can anybody explain to me how the hallwell jones stadium home of warrington rl has two sides that are standing one of which is an upper tear this is a new n build stadium of 14000 capacity so what is the differance between thugby and football !

The fans are the difference, unnfortunately you still get idiots going to watch football who would probably find it amusing to surge forward purposely to squash those at the front, im sure it seems like a lot of fun when your not the ones getting squashed but when your there with children or you are a child yourself getting hurt its not so much fun. I'm not against standing coming back - in fact i prefer standing, especially when the stand is full the atmosphere seems much better - but there does need to be strict safety procedures in place

I've been to Knowsley Road when it's absolutely packed to the rafters on more than one occaision. However, I have never witnessed a single surge - plenty of jumping up and down and that - but no surges. It don't answer your question much, but the behaviour of the fans looks like a main factor.

You have to put ur mind back to the late 80's and early 90's..... Football fans were very different! Rugby fans werent going around causing the trouble football fans where. You wasnt having innocent people die due to issue of crowd safety.

The taylor report has done more good for football than bad. Its put us in a postion where we now question some of the things the taylor report brough us, aka all seater stadiums.... But we only question it now really, back in the early 90's I think the vast majority of people agreed that things needed to change. And things have! They have changed so much that now is the time to possibly relax some of the rules. I dont belive you would get "surges" if we brought back standing. You cant surge in these "safe standing" areas...to many crush barriers...

The fans are the difference, unnfortunately you still get idiots going to watch football who would probably find it amusing to surge forward purposely to squash those at the front, im sure it seems like a lot of fun when your not the ones getting squashed but when your there with children or you are a child yourself getting hurt its not so much fun. I'm not against standing coming back - in fact i prefer standing, especially when the stand is full the atmosphere seems much better - but there does need to be strict safety procedures in place

gemma i dont think there is much need to worry about surges, there is still a few away days on terraces and i havent seen any significant surges apart from maybe if we score but that seems to happen with seats as well.

gemma i dont think there is much need to worry about surges, there is still a few away days on terraces and i havent seen any significant surges apart from maybe if we score but that seems to happen with seats as well.

Places like Brentford and Peterborough you could have a good surge without actually hitting anybody. It's only when it's heaving in a large part of the stand that it's an issue.

In the really big crowds the surging occurred when the action was close to goal, as people stretched upward and forward to see the action.

In the 1950s I went to a match at Anfield wearing slip-on shoes. When a big surge occurred, my feet came out of my shoes and I was carried forward by the surge several steps down and then back to my original position. Miraculously my shoes were still in the same position! Happy days! :grin:

I have been in a terrifying surge, where the pushing was squashing people, outside the tube station at Orient. Queuing at places like that is much better organised these days.

I would love to see standing come back! I really would. Its just sooo much better! But I cant just let comments like this fly around without being challenged!

Football was utter madness pre hillsbrough, something needed to change! The Taylor report was a massive step forward and brought so many posative changes.

I think its only possible to NOW have a discussion about bringing back standing areas to grounds only because of the progress we have made in other area, thanks largely to the Taylor report..

We need to find ways of bringing back the atmosphere and fun....but we cant ever go back to those dark days....football grounds were death traps... Its down to the modern stadiums with proper stewarding etc that its possible to bring in standning...

That's fair comment actually. Ok, parts of the Taylor Report were flawed, but it (along with fire legislation post Bradford) did bring about huge improvements in stadium safety.

Shocking really... it took two of the most awful tragedies before such legislation was even considered.

I agree we should be able to stand and create an atmosphere because some days in the chaddy it is absloutly dead. Abother thin would be wouldnt have stewards moaning at u to sit down and kicking u out when u refuse. come on whos gonner listern to someone whos £3.20 an hour when u have payed about triple that to get in.

• 4 months later...