Scotland

oafc_ok

Scotland  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Scotland to qualify for Euro 2008?

• Yes
    • No

100% Yes. This has a lot to do with living in Scotland, but they are far more entertaining to watch at the moment than England. That pains me to say it, but they are full of passion, belief and play some really good football. Okay... the Scottish football leagues are not the best but you can't fault teams like Hibs for bringing youngsters through the ranks!

As another Scottish exile I've got to say yeah I'd love them to get through. I went out to watch the games tonight and despite having to sit through a fair few Scots getting genuinely excited that we lost to Russia I still stayed to cheer them on in their game..as pdw says it probably comes from living up here but I do like to see them do well, whatever they might think of us

As another Scottish exile I've got to say yeah I'd love them to get through. I went out to watch the games tonight and despite having to sit through a fair few Scots getting genuinely excited that we lost to Russia I still stayed to cheer them on in their game..as pdw says it probably comes from living up here but I do like to see them do well, whatever they might think of us

Hi Mike... another Latic in Edinburgh, excellent! Yes the gloating when we lose is not pleasant is it? I just hope they can focus their dislike of us towards supporting their team for a change, especially if they make it. I still see Argentina tops being worn on Princes Street. Very sad!

Scotland fans are always portrayed by the media as jolly cheeky chappies who like a drink but wouldn't say boo to a goose!

In reality it's a different picture altogether. I've never forgiven them for what happened at Wembley in 1977 - not because Scotland beat England, but because of what the Scotland fans did to Wembley.

Consumed with excitement, the Scottish fans invaded the pitch at the final whistle an caused £15,000 worth of damage. A live TV audience witnessed tens of thousands of Rod Stewart clones, resplendent in 70s chic dancing with delight on English football's most hallowed surface? They demolished the goalposts and dug up the pitch, staggering away with not only parts of the pitch but the crossbar as well. Even now, many still boast of a little piece of garden that will be forever Wembley. A penalty spot nicked by fans has even gone on show at the Scottish Museum of Football at Hampden. They even auction photos of the damage on eBay.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/e5/44/86_1.JPG

Many may say it was all good clean fun, but when you view it in the light of the bad reputation England fans are stuck with and the cheeky chappy reputation Scotland fans revel in, it becomes a great injustice.

The link is a video to show or remind people what it was like. It’s been compiled by a Scot and edited to avoid showing the damage caused to Wembley.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Hj_2NHji8

Scottish construction workers claim to have have left a stash of tartan scarves, saltires and football tops under the pitch of the new Wembley Stadium. They are believed to have hidden a stash under the England dugout, as well as under goal lines, penalty spots and the centre circle.

Realistically Scotland is such a small nation that getting anywhere near a big football tournament is a great achievement. However I love to see Scotland fail, just to knock those 1977 cable-tossers down a peg or two.

MON THE SWEATYS!!!

My mothers homeland, how can i not want them to do well, and to be honest, watching those overpaid prima donnas prance around for their pied piper (McClaren) makes me happy i have roots in jockland.

Ever since McJoke took over i havent been able to watch England, in a silent protest against him, and then jump with glee when my adopted team score.

Its a strange situation as i love my Country but cannot bear to watch them!

They already get more MPs than they should have, and 5 quid spent on schools and hospitals to every 4 spent in England, despite the fact that it’s the English paying the taxes. That should be enough to keep the haggis eating sponge monkeys happy without a sniff of getting into a real tournament every 14 years.

Christ! I've just seen the poll results and I detect some sweaty sentimentality in there. They don't deserve to qualify. Unless, of course, they beat the World champions at home, in which case they would deserve to qualify. We've got to rely on Israel and Andorra. I'd take Scotland's chances over ours, but I won't route for them until they've come down south and actually won a battle. :grin:

Scotland - I want them to qualify, and they have a great manager

Ireland - Like quite a few of their players and supported them like everyone else in USA 94 but dislike some of the anti british stuff from their fans.

Wales - That "Best team in Britain" stuff has come back to bite them on the bum! Ha ha.

N Ireland - Want them to win every game (except Eng er land), I have great memories of them in Espana 82.

Christ! I've just seen the poll results and I detect some sweaty sentimentality in there. They don't deserve to qualify. Unless, of course, they beat the World champions at home, in which case they would deserve to qualify. We've got to rely on Israel and Andorra. I'd take Scotland's chances over ours, but I won't route for them until they've come down south and actually won a battle. :grin:

And beating france twice and being one of the best teams in the qualifiers doesnt justify that?

I won't route for them until they've come down south

Refusing to give em directions won't stop em travelling. B)

Been a breath of fresh air this qualifying campaign,drawn in deaths own personally picked group of death (can we have a death smiley please mr administrator,black cloak,scythe and a big toothy grin,oh and waving a saltire,ta) and we have been magnificent.Far from being the most talented players in the world but as a team couldn't ask for more from them.At the start of qualifying it would have been laughable to think we could have topped the group with 2 games to go,but we did it,on merit (you don't beat France home and away by being totally lucky,you do it by being organised and playing to your own strengths,it doesn't just happen).Must admit that if the first choice team are injured or suspended we don't have the strength in depth to replace them hence Georgia but under Smith and now Big Eck we are a world away from the shambles that was Berti.

We won't qualify,that would be too good an ending for Scotland but i wouldn't bet against us qualifying for the next world cup as this sort of group comes along once in a lifetime for a team.

The futures bright,the futures tartan :Scotland:

Edited by inspectormorose

Refusing to give em directions won't stop em travelling. B)

Been a breath of fresh air this qualifying campaign,drawn in deaths own personally picked group of death (can we have a death smiley please mr administrator,black cloak,scythe and a big toothy grin,oh and waving a saltire,ta) and we have been magnificent.Far from being the most talented players in the world but as a team couldn't ask for more from them.At the start of qualifying it would have been laughable to think we could have topped the group with 2 games to go,but we did it,on merit (you don't beat France home and away by being totally lucky,you do it by being organised and playing to your own strengths,it doesn't just happen).Must admit that if the first choice team are injured or suspended we don't have the strength in depth to replace them hence Georgia but under Smith and now Big Eck we are a world away from the shambles that was Berti.

We won't qualify,that would be too good an ending for Scotland but i wouldn't bet against us qualifying for the next world cup as this sort of group comes along once in a lifetime for a team.

The futures bright,the futures tartan :Scotland:

Spot on there Not much else i can add to that at least Scotland give it their best

:Scotland:

Definitely yes, partly because they honestly deserve to but mostly (assuming England don't) to rub the English FA's nose in it... and perhaps (though probably not) make them realise what a shocking mess they've made of our game.

We know about the FA's shortcomings, but the England players are not blame-free.

We know about the FA's shortcomings, but the England players are not blame-free.

Maybe not, but the FA are the biggest culprits for the players untouchable status and couldn't give a flying mentality.....until the salary cap realistically takes place, the FA are the spineless gits who appoint yes-men jellyfish like McLaren! And the salary cap is the very, very least they could do to begin to reform English football and the England team! The FA and football in general could learn a hell of a lot from the rugby.....I just hope they do this time around (despite the lads coming 2nd this time!)

Edited by boundaryblue80

Maybe not, but the FA are the biggest culprits for the players untouchable status and couldn't give a flying mentality.....until the salary cap realistically takes place, the FA are the spineless gits who appoint yes-men jellyfish like McLaren! And the salary cap is the very, very least they could do to begin to reform English football and the England team! The FA and football in general could learn a hell of a lot from the rugby.....I just hope they do this time around (despite the lads coming 2nd this time!)

That would be great, but it's not going to happen - it's gone too far now from Sky's Greedy League to Greedy Square and on to Greedy Way and the debt-laden Wembley, but not with prima-donnas whose pictures are emblazoned everywhere. The clubs don't want their players playing for England in case they get injured. The players think pride, passion and belief are qualities that go with inferior squads like Northern Ireland, Scotland, Greece and Israel. Things will only change if sponsors refuse to have anything to do with the F.A. and the England squad. That will only happen if the fans turn against the F.A. and the England squad. The fans are so desperate for success that they will continue to back them financially. Therefore the money will keep pouring in, and it continues to be sweet F.A. to the chance of success.

If England doesn't qualify for the Euro Championship, the F.A. will suddenly start to feel the draught from the door left open when the sponsors leave temporarily.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns