Scotland

oafc_ok

Scotland  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Scotland to qualify for Euro 2008?

• Yes
    • No

Scotland fans are always portrayed by the media as jolly cheeky chappies who like a drink but wouldn't say boo to a goose!

In reality it's a different picture altogether. I've never forgiven them for what happened at Wembley in 1977 - not because Scotland beat England, but because of what the Scotland fans did to Wembley.

Consumed with excitement, the Scottish fans invaded the pitch at the final whistle an caused £15,000 worth of damage. A live TV audience witnessed tens of thousands of Rod Stewart clones, resplendent in 70s chic dancing with delight on English football's most hallowed surface? They demolished the goalposts and dug up the pitch, staggering away with not only parts of the pitch but the crossbar as well. Even now, many still boast of a little piece of garden that will be forever Wembley. A penalty spot nicked by fans has even gone on show at the Scottish Museum of Football at Hampden. They even auction photos of the damage on eBay.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/e5/44/86_1.JPG

Many may say it was all good clean fun, but when you view it in the light of the bad reputation England fans are stuck with and the cheeky chappy reputation Scotland fans revel in, it becomes a great injustice.

The link is a video to show or remind people what it was like. It’s been compiled by a Scot and edited to avoid showing the damage caused to Wembley.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Hj_2NHji8

Scottish construction workers claim to have have left a stash of tartan scarves, saltires and football tops under the pitch of the new Wembley Stadium. They are believed to have hidden a stash under the England dugout, as well as under goal lines, penalty spots and the centre circle.

Realistically Scotland is such a small nation that getting anywhere near a big football tournament is a great achievement. However I love to see Scotland fail, just to knock those 1977 cable-tossers down a peg or two.

PRICELESS MEMORYS thanks Diego, (oh voted YES) by the way. Right let me explain something! We (Scotland) know and understand that we're not the best in the world, and that we have no devine right to win games, or go to big tourniments, they have to be earned/achieved. On the other hand yous (England) have the nauseating attitude that you should and have the devine right to win games and tourniments, and when yous did win one, you've spent the last 40 years reminding everyone (especially us) Thats why we and almost everybody else like to see England lose. :Scotland:

PRICELESS MEMORYS thanks Diego, (oh voted YES) by the way. Right let me explain something! We (Scotland) know and understand that we're not the best in the world, and that we have no devine right to win games, or go to big tourniments, they have to be earned/achieved. On the other hand yous (England) have the nauseating attitude that you should and have the devine right to win games and tourniments, and when yous did win one, you've spent the last 40 years reminding everyone (especially us) Thats why we and almost everybody else like to see England lose. :Scotland:

I have friends from Scotland, Wales and Ireland, and I can guarantee that in our football banter, the Russian linesman from 1966 is always brought up - never by me but always by them! The record book shows that England won the World Cup and we're stuck with that fact. If it makes you feel any better, from now on let's say that the first goal in extra time didn't count and England only won 3-2.

It's a complete myth that we (England) keep reminding everyone that we won the World Cup. Today's army of England fans, which follows the team all over the world, considers that victory in 1966 to be the same as the one in 1066, merely a part of history. In fact it took nearly 40 years before the FA cottoned on to the fact that it could put a gold star on the official England shirt.

Today's England followers do so in the hope that England will win a trophy so that there will be something for them to claim as theirs. The people who keep referring to that historic victory are not the fans - it's the media......plus the Scots, Welsh and Irish, who will not let it drop.

You've stolen my thunder a bit there Diego..the number of times I've been out and been berated because "you boys always go on and on about winning the world cup" which then results in us talking about the exact subject they didnt want me to mention?!?!?!?! I can honestly say I've never once brought up the fact we've won a world cup in the 5/6 yrs ive lived up here..mainly because i'm embarassed it was so long ago