The Official Michael Ricketts Appreciation Thread

The football so far this season has been dire...almost a carbon copy of ' The Ronnie Era ' and it's not good to watch.

It aint a carbon copy at all....it's........

A) Worse!

B.) Has very very few (or no) results at all with it....as said in the Moore era....its a :censored:ing result business and

C) What the loudest, "I'm not renewing my ST" shouting "fans" wanted/created!!!

I've no interest in sacking Shez. I've no interest in saying told ya so.....but you all say you're unhappy....I'm unhappy and :censored::censored::censored: off that fans sent us down this road! And I still think Shez deserve his chance!!! I don't think he's doing it right at all so far. Not even since Feb.....but he deserves time to get it wrong (as Moore did) and then put it right!

Unless you've no stomach for that!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sheridans_world

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Still wants Moore in charge, dont worry oafc1955, he is on his own, fortunatley.

However, i dont agree with your comment, the football isnt like the Moore era, people like to think it is. When the team get the ball down they can play far better football than any Moore team could ever do. They do get it down and play, just watch some of the touches through midfield sometimes.

I grant its not all the time, but anything is better than Ronnie 'The gods werent on our side today' Moore.

Edited by sheridans_world

I admit that I missed yesterday, but from what I've seen so far this season it's very similar to the Moore era.

Long usless balls into wingers and forwards... what else is there to define that era? And what have we done this season in all the games I've seen?

Even Shez admits it... "For some reason we go to the long ball tactic and hoof balls in there instead of working hard ... We just start hoofing it, and no-one's telling the players to do that.".

If he's told them to do it or not is beside the point... we're far too happy to clump it long and hope that someone chases it... he's the boss... we all see him stood on the touchline for the entire game. If he's not told them to hoof it who has? And either way why is he not shouting at them to get it down? I sit in the lower George Hill and I've never heard him shout at them for hoofing it... he shouts at them for pretty much everything they do, but that's not one of them!

We need some team spirit and positivity and the ball on the ground and this team may just turn it all about face... otherwise this could be a very very long season (I must stress with Shez in charge... I'd give him until the end of next season at the very earliest before passing judgement on him fully).

Hey...:censored: off Coco! Him and Marlon were a tie for MOTM today! Had his header superbly saved and sent Davies clear for him to fluff! You want to slag off the rest of the team, but focus solely on Ricketts...you can't admit that over the years we've made good players like Ricketts and Davies look s.h.i.t coz of the awful service we've provided and static, non-existent midfield they've had to starve on!!!

Make ya mind up....is the team awful and creating nothing so Ricketts and Davies are starved....or are we all missing something excellent and Ricketts and Davies are missing chance after chance after chance that's being provided?

We both know the answer! Pipe down eh :censored:er!

And it's not like the fans of Oldham to make heros out of crap players is?

Ricketts ran his nads off yesterday, he was closing the defenders down and defending from the front like a decent forward should, he flicked on all he could with nobody on his wavelength to read him. It is not his fault he is playing with a lot of players who cannot read the game like him. If Davies was a real centre forward(really a winger) he would have latched onto a least 5 of Ricketts knock downs or passes into space. The ball Ricketts did put through for Davies (ANOTHER CHANCE FLUFFED WHEN ONE ON ONE WITH KEEPEER) was a showing of his footballing brain.

Give the guy a chance and now his fitness has improved watch him link up with Hughes when he is fit, Davies is a winger who will get to the bye line and provide crosses for the pair, probably at the expense of liddell, Bertrand should be on the other wing at the expense of Taylor.

So it must be quite embarrassing for Ricketts to see a winger with no ability score 6 goals in open play compared to the immense footballing brains 1.

And another thing, If Ricketts is so good in the air, why are we so poor when balls are crossed into the box.

So it must be quite embarrassing for Ricketts to see a winger with no ability score 6 goals in open play compared to the immense footballing brains 1.

And another thing, If Ricketts is so good in the air, why are we so poor when balls are crossed into the box.

How many balls have you seen come into the box for Ricketts head, our wingers dont get that far forward to cross the bloody thing, all the balls to Ricketts are played up from the back for him to flick on or lay off.

Who said Davies had no ability? he just isnt on the same wavelength as Ricketts, it is only my opinion that he would be better suited as a winger, he drifts to the wing anyway.

Edited by fleetwood Blue

Davies is a winger who will get to the bye line and provide crosses for the pair, probably at the expense of liddell, Bertrand should be on the other wing at the expense of Taylor.

Except he won't provide the crosses because he can not cross the ball consistantly well and he doesn't have his head to enable him to pick out the right pass. If Davies is stuck out on the wing then he will get to the byeline yes but when he gets there he will either put a rubbish ball into the box or more than likely he will try and cut inside and take all the defenders on and more often than not end up losing the ball. For me he is a "super sub" bring him on against tired league one centre halfs and they will be scared to death of him and end up giving silly free kicks away. If Bertrand is on the wing then who is playing left back? Bertrand is doing a decent job of left back there is no need to move him. If you want to put Davies on a wing then stick him on the left at least then he will be on his right foot when he cuts insde

Except he won't provide the crosses because he can not cross the ball consistantly well and he doesn't have his head to enable him to pick out the right pass. If Davies is stuck out on the wing then he will get to the byeline yes but when he gets there he will either put a rubbish ball into the box or more than likely he will try and cut inside and take all the defenders on and more often than not end up losing the ball. For me he is a "super sub" bring him on against tired league one centre halfs and they will be scared to death of him and end up giving silly free kicks away. If Bertrand is on the wing then who is playing left back? Bertrand is doing a decent job of left back there is no need to move him. If you want to put Davies on a wing then stick him on the left at least then he will be on his right foot when he cuts insde

Fair points, I've been saying for the last couple of games that once Hughes is back I think that Davies needs some bench time. He could have a massive influence as an impact player from the bench ala Wayno.

Fair points, I've been saying for the last couple of games that once Hughes is back I think that Davies needs some bench time. He could have a massive influence as an impact player from the bench ala Wayno.

We don't need to wait for Hughes to come back, stick Wolfy up alongside Ricketts - he can't miss more chances than Davies has been doing - and if it doesnt work out bring Davies on from the bench

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Still wants Moore in charge, dont worry oafc1955, he is on his own, fortunatley.

However, i dont agree with your comment, the football isnt like the Moore era, people like to think it is. When the team get the ball down they can play far better football than any Moore team could ever do. They do get it down and play, just watch some of the touches through midfield sometimes.

I grant its not all the time, but anything is better than Ronnie 'The gods werent on our side today' Moore.

Nope, I don't. Just in your head and I bet you felt so much better and cleverer for saying it!

Anyway, there was me thinking you got to all the games. Clearly missed games like Bradford away under Ronnie....oh well....carry on Bitter Boy!

"For some reason we go to the long ball tactic and hoof balls in there instead of working hard ... We just start hoofing it, and no-one's telling the players to do that.".

Theres the similarity with the Moore era, Ronnie was saying the exact same thing!!

Only this time we're not scraping the results.

dude, you're on the wrong thread. And I bloody wish you'd stop slagging Ricketts off. I really don't understand how you can still be saying so many negative things about him when game after game he's shown himself to be one of our best players

It aint a carbon copy at all....it's........

A) Worse!

That statement is incorrect.

Its all in the past and that is where it should stay, but the last months of Ronnie being in charge were probably amongst the worst in can remeber in over 30 years of supporting Latics.

That statement is incorrect.

Its all in the past and that is where it should stay, but the last months of Ronnie being in charge were probably amongst the worst in can remeber in over 30 years of supporting Latics.

Of course it was....you weren't attending from 1996-2000 then! Anyway.....on we go....

Of course it was....you weren't attending from 1996-2000 then! Anyway.....on we go....

I didn't say the worst I said amongst the worst. The next worst was the end of the Sharp era.

What ever happened to that guy who sat on the centre spot, is it somebody on here?

Anyway if we all agreed and towed the same line we'd be Manure fans wouldn't we.

I didn't say the worst I said amongst the worst. The next worst was the end of the Sharp era.

What ever happened to that guy who sat on the centre spot, is it somebody on here?

Anyway if we all agreed and towed the same line we'd be Manure fans wouldn't we.

Ah that'd be Danny Standring....seen him at many games this year and out around Oldham too. He's still about....and probably as frustrated as anyone....he once threatened to stop going to Latics if the smoking ban came in! Lol....glad that he wasn't serious about it.

I have to say I was one of those who had my doubts about Ricketts at the start of the season. However, I must admit that he is showing what a quality player he is. He set Davies up on at least two occasions on Satdi and is a class act at holding up the ball as the striker with his back to goal. You can see his frustration when he looks around for some one to run onto his passes and sees no one, or else he sees Davies running around like a headless Chicken. The vast majority of the Main Stand applauded when he was named Star Player on Satdi. I was one of them. I always said I would 'Big him up' should he dispel my doubts about him and I have to say he is doing just that. I have one minor niggle and that is the number of bookings he is getting himself. He does like to carry on the argument long after it should be forgotten. Other than that he is one of our better players at this time. But then, thats not hard right now is it?

:mainstand:

Coco you'll not here me say this again (hopefully) but i agree %100. Ricketts had a good game but overall he is a very easy defender to play against, he is a poor mans Heskey. Slow (so people call him intelligent), doesn't get in to good scoring positions (so people say he creates more than he scores), personally i would see Wolfy over him any day.

Same old crap from Latics and whilst i am a huge John Sheridan fan, i am fast losing patience in hearing the same old stuff coming from his mouth after every defeat, didn't we used to rip Ronnie for his obligatory "pub team" quotes after a defeat?

That performance on Saturday was appauling and whilst people are saying it's the players fault, unfortunaltey in a results based industry and it all comes down to the manager. He has been let down by poor performers but he has put this team together nobody else, it is up to him to get them playing nobody else.

We are to easy to defend against.

Let me leave with you this, if Ronnie had signed a played deemed surpless to requirements by an ex-manager, was relegated out of our league with his last club, was a laughing stock the last time he was here, for a fee (bearing in mind how much money we actually have), what we be saying about Ronnie?

More chance of Elvis turning up against Forrest than me.

Coco you'll not here me say this again (hopefully) but i agree %100. Ricketts had a good game but overall he is a very easy defender to play against, he is a poor mans Heskey. Slow (so people call him intelligent), doesn't get in to good scoring positions (so people say he creates more than he scores), personally i would see Wolfy over him any day.

Same old crap from Latics and whilst i am a huge John Sheridan fan, i am fast losing patience in hearing the same old stuff coming from his mouth after every defeat, didn't we used to rip Ronnie for his obligatory "pub team" quotes after a defeat?

That performance on Saturday was appauling and whilst people are saying it's the players fault, unfortunaltey in a results based industry and it all comes down to the manager. He has been let down by poor performers but he has put this team together nobody else, it is up to him to get them playing nobody else.

We are to easy to defend against.

Let me leave with you this, if Ronnie had signed a played deemed surpless to requirements by an ex-manager, was relegated out of our league with his last club, was a laughing stock the last time he was here, for a fee (bearing in mind how much money we actually have), what we be saying about Ronnie?

More chance of Elvis turning up against Forrest than me.

Surely it should be Ricketts and Wolfy rather than Ricketts and Davies up top until our midfield start to get closer to the strikers than 25 yrds away? I like Davies and think he's done well (and he's the only one scoring at the minute) but if we're going to lump balls into the box for a target man (which isn't the best way to play Ricketts) then we need somebody who can mop up the flick ons and nod downs etc.

Ricketts is quality, even though he is having to do a job that doesn't play to his strengths. He needs the ball played into his feet, and I'm sure he'd like to receive it facing goal once in a while.

Just a question Lees, what is his job, most people are saying he's been 'quality' as a target man since that's he's job and he's not a goal scorer (which his record proves).

Just a question Lees, what is his job, most people are saying he's been 'quality' as a target man since that's he's job and he's not a goal scorer (which his record proves).

He’s a forward, so broadly speaking his job is playing football, more towards the opposition goal than near our own net.

He’s a forward, so broadly speaking his job is playing football, more towards the opposition goal than near our own net.

I can understand what your saying leeslover but i have to disagree.

Ricketts is not a quality player, he is an average player who has had one good season in his career, a "quality" striker in this league is someone who can put the ball in the back of the net or keeps defenders on their toes, looks dangerous etc...I don't care if a striker can make nice passes and all that, he is employed to score and keep opposing defenders on their toes...he does neither.

Ricketts is so easy to defend against it's untrue. This is how every team has come to latics this season, man mark Davies and get tight to him, don't allow him to run at you. Ricketts, put a tall rangey defender on him and allow him to play with his back to goal. That is all they did on Saturday and thats all Bristol rovers did, it's all Leeds did and it's all anyone else will do all season.

At the end of the day what we are doing at the monent isn't working so something has to give and if it's Davies then i reckon we are really going to struggle.

If someone can answer this then for me as i haven't got a clue.

Whats the point in giving Wolfy a 2 year contract to not start him? He scored aginst Crewe coming off the bench, he scored against Blackpool after coming off the bench in the play off's, whats the point in having him? What more does he have to do?

Give him a try with Davies and see what happens. Can't be any worse than whats happening at the minute.