Hard drive removal

maddog

After taking advice from people on JKLatics, I have decided to remove my hard drive from my old pc and smash it to bits with a hammer :D before taking it to the tip.

I was very proud of myself for getting the cover off and being able to see inside, but I'm not 100% sure what my hard drive looks like. There are a couple of flat green bits (motherboard??), and I have unscrewed and removed one block thing, which I have just noticed is my Floppy drive :sign0007: . The other block thing just below it looks like it might be hard driveish - is this likely? it's sort of green underneath, with a load of black squares surrounded by silver metal. On the top, it sort of has a silver circle thing.

Can anyone confirm this is the bit I need to smash up? (Also, is this the only bit I need to smash up in terms of security, etc, before dumping it?)

Cheers!

(sorry this is a bit rambly, I'm clueless when I start taking things apart)

After taking advice from people on JKLatics, I have decided to remove my hard drive from my old pc and smash it to bits with a hammer :D before taking it to the tip.

I was very proud of myself for getting the cover off and being able to see inside, but I'm not 100% sure what my hard drive looks like. There are a couple of flat green bits (motherboard??), and I have unscrewed and removed one block thing, which I have just noticed is my Floppy drive :sign0007: . The other block thing just below it looks like it might be hard driveish - is this likely? it's sort of green underneath, with a load of black squares surrounded by silver metal. On the top, it sort of has a silver circle thing.

Can anyone confirm this is the bit I need to smash up? (Also, is this the only bit I need to smash up in terms of security, etc, before dumping it?)

Cheers!

(sorry this is a bit rambly, I'm clueless when I start taking things apart)

smash it all to bits just to make sure!!

The other block thing just below it looks like it might be hard driveish - is this likely? it's sort of green underneath, with a load of black squares surrounded by silver metal. On the top, it sort of has a silver circle thing.

That's the feller; get it smashed. You don't need to destroy anything else.

Which tip are you taking it to?

That's a very good question. Emailed the Oldham refuse people today asking where I could take the stuff to, if anywhere. Anyone got any tips? I'm in Rochdale, but work in Oldham. I've heard tips have special PC sections? Is it a vicious rumour?

What I'm saying is just be careful, you might think smashing to pieces will prevent people accessing the data - it doesn't - it can still be retrievable. It's possible to recover data from hard discs that have been in a fire - I've heard of drives being recovered from an inferno that reached 1700 degrees Fahrenheit for Chissake - been sunken at the bottom of a river or lake for two or more days, and yes - even the hard drives that have been crushed beyond recognition...

The only real way of removing the data, is to degause the drive and then destroying the platters.

What I'm saying is just be careful, you might think smashing to pieces will prevent people accessing the data - it doesn't - it can still be retrievable. It's possible to recover data from hard discs that have been in a fire - I've heard of drives being recovered from an inferno that reached 1700 degrees Fahrenheit for Chissake - been sunken at the bottom of a river or lake for two or more days, and yes - even the hard drives that have been crushed beyond recognition...

The only real way of removing the data, is to degause the drive and then destroying the platters.

At the moment, the plan is just to get rid of the rest of the stuff - tower, monitor, etc. I have the hard drive, and might even keep it, but I will make sure it is destroyed properly if I do decide to dispose of it.

Cheers for the warning though!