Scotland v Italy

Good day all round, international wise.

I've still not received a reply from the text I sent to my Scotland supporting mate. :grin:

:Italy::England::Israel:

Same here about 20 texts sent to different people and not one reply.......It must be cramped back under that stone :lol:

One of the penalty spots is in a museum at Hampden.

I ask you and your fellow Scotland lovers to cast your minds back to Euro '96. Picture the scene - Scotland awarded a penalty and Gary McAllister puts the ball on the spot. He starts his run-up and both he and David Seaman notice the ball start to roll. A distracted McAllister his the ball, Seaman saves and England go down to the other end of the pitch, where Gazza scores that never-to-be-forgotten goal.

I like to think that the Wembley groundsman, tweaking the under-pitch sprinkler, got sweet revenge that day. :tongue1::England:

I watched that game on ESPN classic last night. Two fantastic teams, and one of the best games between England and Scotland of the modern era. Was amazed to see Gary McAllister singing God Save the Queen before kick off, imagine if the likes of Ferguson or Hutton did that now! They would be slated by the mhedia!

Edited by slurms mckenzie

A part of me wanted to laugh on saturday when Italy scored right at the death, a part of me wanted to cry with anger. The main part and the common sense part wanted me to leave the bar sharpish without getting my head kicked in.

Interesting game and an even more interesting atmosphere. At least in the bar I was in.

I got to Scotland in the afternoon. Various cousins of mine had been lucky enough to get tickets for both the actual game and the big screens up at Glasgow Green. I was offered a spare for the latter, but declined as it'd mean travelling to Glasgow by train which was wall to wall Tartan Army.

Not exactly the place for someone who doesnt consider him anything other than English.

So with the rest of my family north of the border, we decided to venture into the lovely Coatrbidge, which makes Oldham look nice. In a bar called Escence, which come the night is a nightclub. Though not much of one. Wall to Wall wannabe William Wallaces, and I dont just mean the posters of him on the wall. Painted and Drunk Scots Lads everywhere you looked. Needless to say I was probably the most uncomfortable person in the place.

Especially when people started cottoning onto my English accent whenever I went to the bar.

Cue the National Anthem and yours truely the only one not singing along. Dozens of lads screaming "aboo" in my earhole and I wanted to up and leave to the weatherspoons across the road which wasnt showing the game there and then.

Funniest part of the day and weekend. The playing of every line from William Wallaces pre battle speech and every Scottish person in the place saying every single word in it perfectly. :lol: i just started laughing from the moment it came on, to the moment it went off.

It was very much like England in a major championships, but I did like the belief rather than expectancy factor compared to ours. That and the free Pizza at half time.

Worst possible start for the Scots. Found it unbelievable that some had the cheek to blame the ballboy of all people.

Uproar when Scotland nearly equalised on half time and when Barry Ferguson scored. Unbelievable scenes. Scotland press for an equaliser and somehow a freekick that never was, is awarded to Italy. Obvious what was coming. Goal and 500 people shouting at the screen. Mainly obscenities at the ref.

Fair play to them though. The support was superb and I couldnt help but bouncing up and down to my new favourite terrace chant.

we'll be coming, we'll be coming

we'll be coming down the road

when you hear the noise of the tartan army boys

We'll be coming down the road

That and Jimmy Hill You're a .............. :grin:

I didnt stick around to watch the Israel game in there. I probably would have been lynched. It was bad enough going to the toilet to words of, "ye english wee man."

Just as well as even my family showed incredible bitterness to me jumping about an empty pub when Israel scored a last minute winner. "Typical English." :grin: All there abuse directed at me on the sunday was just greeted by a smile and saying how I might go and get Austria and Switzerland brochures upon my return to Gods Country. Hopefully England wont let me down, or i'll never be stepping foot up there again :lol: