Alternative to iTunes?

tactically_naive

Don't know about you, but I'm sick of iTunes as a piece of software to update my iPod. It's ultra RAM hungry and slows by PC down to a snail's pace whenever I update anything.

Anyone know of a decent alternative?

It needs to be able to do the iTunes basics - indexing of music, transfer of music to iPod, and especially be able to handle & manage podcast updates.

I use winamp, have done for years, does the job.

Best thing for an alternative to itunes - get rid of your ipod and get a creative MP3 player. Apple are the same as Micro$oft but with better marketing. Creative or any other manufacturer let you sync however you want, I can drag and drop using windows explorer with my player.

Get a Creative Zen as BT says. It will not let you down and is a top piece of kit no matter which model you get.

I plan to get a Creative widget once mi iPod goes to the great MP3 player heaven in the sky (i.e. when the fecking battery finally packs up) but I'm stuck with it for now.

As a player I'm OK with it.......it's just the dogs-dinner software I've been using to update it I've had enough of.

Cheers for all yer help. I've installed WinAmp and the iPod plug-in and I'll give it a spin.

Ya want the good news or the bad news?

Good news - Winamp works fine with mi iPod, even manages podcast transfers.

Bad news - uninstalled iTunes, managed to wipe my entire mp3 collection from mi iPod.

Every silver lining has a cloud and all that!

I'm off to start downloading again.............

Are you sure you have wiped your ipod? Check some ipod forums to see if anyone else has had this happen. If you uninstalled itunes without your ipod being connected then this won't have wiped it. It may that your ipod is just unregistered or summat but you will find out more from other mugs, er sorry, ipod users.