Poor Bournemouth

They haven't had the best of luck in the last few years financially e.t.c. but I found out something else today that annoyed me

I was only 9 in 1990 when Leeds won the second division on the last day of the season beating Bournemouth, whist I remember this, I dont remember the damage that the Leeds fans did to the city that week and what consequences it had for them in the years that followed.

I was just reading up on Bournemouth this morning on wikipedia and found this bit (anyone remember this?)...

Crowd trouble

Whilst the fans are usually good mannered and crowd trouble is extremely rare nowadays, Saturday 5 May 1990 has gone down in the history of both club and town as a black day. It was the May Day public holiday and the final day of the season. A.F.C. Bournemouth were in the old Second Division and Leeds United had the chance to win the league on goal difference and gain promotion into the First Division (now the Premiership). Many followers of Leeds United had already caused trouble in the town during the morning and the atmosphere was tense as Leeds United won the match by a single goal. That, combined with the results of other matches, meant that Leeds United were promoted while Bournemouth were relegated. The violence and destruction by visitors to Bournemouth continued over the holiday weekend 'causing more than £1million worth of damage and injury to opposing fans and police officers'. The town's Daily Echo newspaper reported that 'spectators, including many young children, had to run to safety as missiles were hurled and riot police waded in to control the crowds'.The matter was raised in Parliament by one of the town's MPs. Many Bournemouth supporters attribute the beginning of the subsequent decline of the club to that fateful day. The club have been on the brink of bankruptcy several times since 1990.

Financially, the Leeds trouble affected the club for more than a decade, as Bournemouth were prevented by local police from staging home games on Bank Holidays (traditionally a popular day for football) until a game against Shrewsbury Town on 21 April 2003. The club often had to move games from Easter Monday, for instance, to the following Tuesday evening, with lower crowds a consequence

WE ALL HATE LEEDS SCUM