Interview with an Opposition Fan

ste1987

Interview with an Opposition Fan

#9 - Southend United

Welcome to this week’s edition of Interview with an Opposition Fan. Each week, myself and Razza699 scour for opposition fans to answer the questions we put toward them in the build up to the subsequent fixture.

This week, Latics travel down south (yet again!..) to the seaside to play Southend. As such, I found some very welcoming Shrimpers fans to answer our questions.

1. Steve Tilson is in his 7th season as manager of Southend. What are your opinions of him and what is his general style of play?

- The man is the messiah, he takes average squads and makes them shine, he is a superb motivator. He likes his teams to pass but over the last few seasons we've become better at mixing it and getting in a physical battle.

- Tilly is a leg-end both as a player and a manager at Roots Hall; he's a decent, down to earth fella, loyal to his players. He prefers a 4-4-2 formation though has been known to shake things up with an inspired substitution occasionally. Sometimes leaves his subs a little late - that's my only criticism.

- Tilson is indeed a legend around these parts. Connected with the club in some capacity for 20 years... enough said really!

- Steve Tilson is highly regarded in these parts. Came here as a player from Witham in 1989, and apart from 2 or 3 years at Canvey...he's been here ever since. Voted player of the millennium in 2000. Managerial wise he's taken the club from being conference bound to mid table safety and an LDV final in his first season. That followed with another two trips to Cardiff the following season, again as LDV finalists which we lost again and The League Two Play-offs where we disposed of Lincoln. After that we've been league One Champions, relegated from The Championship and losers to Doncaster in the Play-off semis. Last season a tough ask to get into the play-offs, but we had a very small shout...all be it a bit too much in the end.

- Couldn't be higher. Keeps the club in contention in League One on a small budget playing attractive football.

2. Have you made any signings to your squad this season so far? If so, how have they been so far?

- We don't sign anyone, we loan. 2 have already gone back and the others haven't really played enough to make a real judgment yet, maybe only M'Voto: big French centre half, he looks ok, prone to a lapse in concentration though.

- No money to make any signings, though have been impressed with the loanees we've brought in so far - the Colchester boys both did well, and O'Donovan was on fire at Brighton. Friend also did well when he came on, Lee Sawyer seems to be bench warming and just waiting for a chance.

- We are potless apparently and with a new stadium to build, that's not a good thing to say! Loans from here on in...

- Only loans this season. Lee Sawyer from Chelsea who for whatever reason can't get off the bench. We had him last season and done very well as a creative midfielder. M'Voto from Sunderland seems Ok at the back, a big lump and attackers know he's there. Had a bit of a nightmare in the last game against Brighton, but that may have been due to an injury he was carrying. Roy O'Donavon from Sunderland we was after this guy when he was at Cork about 2 years ago, he opted to join fellow Cork boy Roy Keane at Sunderland. Don't know about him yet as he only just came here and made his debut against Brighton where he scored his first goal in English football.

- Three are still with us on loan, two of them from Sunderland! Jean-Yves M'voto is a 6ft 4 powerful centre half who has helped tighten up the defence. Ray O'Donovan is a central striker who scored on his debut. George Friend a left-back from Wolves who has played against Oldham already this season for Millwall!

3. Last season, you finished 8th in League One. How do you think you will do in League One this season?

- Realistically I think we'll be anywhere from 8th-16th - depends what Tilson can pull out of the bag or what off the field drags us down.

- I'd have been happy to be mid table at the start of the season, but given how we've been playing - and as long as we don't get any points deductions for anything going on off the pitch then I reckon we'll be challenging for the play offs.

- 8th will do me just fine again. Promotion would be good, but I think we need the stadium first.

- After the start we had last season finishing 8th and being in a slight shout of the play-offs was a surprise. This season will more-or-less be the same. Although only one defeat in eight at the start of the season is a great start....shame 5 of those are draws.

- Similar. If the squad remains together and we escape injuries and suspensions might squeeze into 6th but that's asking a lot.

4. Are there any teams in particular you are looking forward to playing?

- Only 1 team to look for, the inbreds from North Essex, this division is pretty dull this season.

- Colchester - always, both home and away; Charlton as well, just to give Nicky Bailey the reception he deserves.

- Not particularly! The inbreds make for a good game usually, but so many to choose this year!

- The usual two, Colchester and Leyton Orient. Although looking forward to going to both Norwich and Charlton this season.

- Games against local rivals Orient and Colchester are always interesting. Charlton to say hi again to Nicky Bailey, he didn't leave us in the best of circumstances. But Carlisle away will be fun, I'm going overnight via Newcastle, the coach trip is cheap and the beer's good when you get there!

5. What tactics are you likely to employ and have played with this season?

- 4-4-2, I don't think Tilson knows of any others, it’s basically the best 11 players in his mind in that formation, out of position are not 3 words Steve knows.

- Glad to see we've moved on from the hoof ball we were playing last year to Theo, we're trying to move the ball about a bit and have a cracking midfield. Most play to come through one of them up to the forwards.

- We like teams to attack us. We hate teams who get 10 men behind the ball because we struggle to break them down!

- The usual 4-4-2 passing football. We never stick 10 men behind the ball.

- We've been more defensive this season, swapping a wide player for another mid-fielder, looking for the full backs to get forward more often.

6. Southend currently have 11 points and go into Saturday’s fixture in 8th place. What are Southend’s strengths and weakness both on and off the pitch?

- Our strengths on field: the team never gives up, for the past couple of seasons we've looked one of the fittest teams in the division. We generally create plenty of chances in games and currently a fit Barnard is a scoring machine. Weakness: We have no width, the defence rarely play as a unit and we're really prone to silly individual errors. For legal reasons the less said about off the field the better.

- Team spirit is what is always cited as a major strength, plus Tilly's management style. Like I said, the midfield is a dominant force and on their day they can snuff out the biggest threat from oppo teams, however Alan McCormack is always susceptible to being wound up. Obviously there's stuff going on off the pitch we'd rather not dwell on too much, it has affected some players.

- Scoring goals is our strength! Conceding goals is our weakness! Tactics - we're gonna score 1 more than you!

- After drawing 5 games, I'd say the weakness was failing to win a game. Looked to be heading that way again until the last minute winner at Brighton.

- The small squad! Like most clubs we'll being hit by the financial situation with plans of a new ground hovering in the background. However, Tilly, and Brush his assistant, has created a great team spirit that centres on skipper Adam Barrett. The man bleeds Blue!

7. Who is Southend’s key player who we should look out for ahead of Saturday’s fixture and for the rest of the season?

- Key player is difficult, for me not one player has really stood out yet, it’s been a real team effort - for all Barnard's goals I'd think Oldham better keep an eye on him.

- Hard to say, any one of the midfield on their day can be a HUGE influence. Adam Barrett and Simon Francis at the back likewise, if M'voto is back to fitness you'll find him a man mountain to overcome, and both Barney and Roy are fantastic going forward. Oh, one I would advise to look out for is Francis Laurent - he scares the life out of oppo defences!

- Lee Barnard.

- Lee Barnard, on goalscoring form at the moment.

- Lee Barnard. Very hot at the moment. If the man remains injury-free for the season he'll score 20 plus goals and see us close to the play-offs.

8. Who do you think will win League One this season? Any outsiders or surprises?

- Leeds for me, they've got to win it sometime! Brentford as a surprise for me.

- Charlton or Leeds.

- Couldn't really care less!

- Leeds, looking at their start and their tremendous home record which stands at 15 straight wins...before they played Liverpool.

- It has to be Leeds at last while Swindon could be annoying.

9. How do you think Oldham will do this season?

- I think Oldham will be solidly mid-table with a late run at the playoffs.

- Mid table.

- Mid table.

- Mid table maybe a play-off shout but doubt it...sorry.

- Around mid-table. However, I rate Dave Penney and he'll get some good loan signings in al la Tilly.

10 And finally, what score do you think the game will be on Saturday?

- Hopefully another error-strewn thriller resulting in someone coming out on top 4-3, couldn't say who though.

- Think you're in for a tonking, we've found our scoring boots - an easy 3-1 win.

- 2-1 Southend.

- 2-1 to Southend, but don't rule out the draw.

- 2-0; sorry, no Lee Hughes this season!

Many thanks to those Southend fans who took part this week. Seems like Rubes and Greegs will have their hands full with a confident Lee Barnard. But can Latics come back up north with the 3 points and press on with a similar performance against Carlisle?...