Interview with an Opposition Fan

ste1987

Interview with an Opposition Fan

FA Cup First Round Special - Leeds United

Welcome to this week’s edition of Interview with an Opposition Fan. Each week, myself and Razza699 scour for opposition fans to answer the questions we put toward them in the build up to the subsequent fixture.

This week, Latics host Leeds United in the first round of the FA Cup. Razza699 found some opposition fans to answer a selection of our questions...

1) So you nearly went up last year and have started this league on fire are you confident of winning it?

- Promotion (automatic) will do!

- Promotion (automatic) things looking good at the moment.

- Not confident as such because there are 4 or 5 other teams who are more than capable of capitalising if we have a blip but yes we should go up.

- Hopefully 1st or second.

- Quietly.

- We are looking good but being a Leeds fan hardens you, so not until the fat lady sings will I be happy.

2) Are the fans enjoying the season? Are they happy with Simon Grayson?

- In Larry we trust!

- Good manager.

- Leeds fans are NEVER all happy, we are a fickle bunch but we are all happy with Grayson alright.

- Absolute legend and enjoying it so far.

- Yes.

- Yes on both accounts, but we have not played well enough at times and still got results we need more consistency in our play.

3) This is the first game to be broadcast live on The FA.com. What are Leeds fans views on this?

- We're not famous anymore....?

- As long as I can see it over here in Ireland too (not just streamed for UK onliners) then I'm happy.

- We're not famous anymore...ditto.

- Milestone after a difficult time.

- Not spoken to many about it, but its fair to say this is just the start, and what effect it will have on attendances is probably any football chairmans nightmare.

4) If Leeds are to get to the 3rd round which team would most fans want to draw?

- Man Utd (Scum).

- A home draw - not fussed.

- Man Utd (Scum)...ditto.

- Any premiership side at home.

- Any Premiership team with us at home.

- I would like a home game not too high profile the Liverpool game took its toll on our following performances we have just got back to normal, I would like it to stay that way.

5) Any team that you’re not looking forward to playing?

- No.

- Not really.

- Southampton - they will go up this season regardless of -10.

- Millwall at home.

- Millwall.

- Always look forward to games BUT, we have two bogie clubs in Millwall & Huddersfield, for some reason they raise their game and we don't.

6) How was your transfer activity in the window, have you signed many people?

- Loan deals, would like to see Vokes and Graydel become permanent!

- Larry's astute in the transfer/loan deal market we've money to spend in Jan if needed.

- We signed a few but freebies and loan players seemed to annoyed these fans who were calling for Bates to shell out for players like Lambert. It seems freebies and loan players are doing us just dandy.

- Alot of experience and a couple of young players.

- Astute, Yes.

- We have acquired the services of half a dozen or so players, mainly in defence, they are all looking good for us SG has a good eye and seems to know what is required in this division.

7) Who do you think Leeds main rivals will be for the top this season, any outside contenders?

- Norwich.

- Norwich, Charlton, MK, Southampton - Colchester will drop off. Swindon and Huddersfield as outsiders.

- Norwich.

- Southampton, Norwich, Charlton.

- Norwich main rivals, Colchester outside contender.

- The obvious Norwich & Charlton, I would love to see Huddersfield make a run for the top, so long as we pip them, if they can keep their main players fit and on the pitch they will be in the top six I’m sure.

8) What are Leeds strengths and weaknesses?

- Good team spirit, fight for 90 minutes, don't give up as last 2 seasons!

- Strengths going forward scoring goals for fun, weaknesses full back areas at the moment due to injuries.

- Team spirit, Beckford, Snodgrass, the management team, our ability to play rubbish and yet win and our following (especially away) are strengths. I think our midfield is still a touch lightweight, full-backs due to injuries and our lack of strength in-depth of strikers (although Kandol's looking better) are our weaknesses. Oh and the hatred of our chairman isn't the most ideal thing either.

- Depth of the midfield is a weekness everything else is a strength.

- Togetherness in the face of adversity - Reputation has other teams always up for it.

- Strength: Good attacking force we can score from nothing, and a strong hard to beat defence; Weakness: Inconsistency we never know which Leeds United will turn up on the day, just lately it tends to be a poor first half followed by a good second half.

9) Do you think Simon Grayson will take the FA cup seriously? Are Leeds after a good cup run or will you be more bothered about the League?

- League.

- League without a doubt.

- Grayson takes all competitions seriously and wants to win every game. He will definitely take it seriously. The fans on the otherhand won't really give a fuss one aim this season and one only, PROMOTION.

- I wouldn’t mind going far because last year they lost confidence after the Histon defeat.

- Yes - Cup runs are good but league is priority, the Liverpool game was not a result for us looking at the results afterwards.

- We as fans want the league, but SG and captain birdseye (Bates) seem to want to win every game. Its good to have a cup run, but maybe not this season please.

10) How do you think Oldham will do in League/Cup this year?

- Out this round.

- Out this round/mid table. Bring back Shez.

- Mid-table and 3rd round of the cup.

- 7th and 4th round.

- Play offs and dumped out by super Leeds on Sat.

-I think the die is cast and most teams will be in a similar position by the end of the season, so just outside the play offs in the league, and if you get past Leeds in the cup, who knows with a favourable draw along the way you could upset someone.

11) Finally, what do you think the score will be at Boundary Park on Saturday?

- 0-1. Are you wearing those pink shirts again? They distracted us last time!

- 0-2.

- 2-1 leeds you to take lead, we score 1st in 82 minutes and second in 88, gradel with both.

- Oldham 2-1.

- 0-4 of course.

- I think SG will make 4 changes to the team and it will be Oldham 0 - Leeds Utd 1

But my predictions are usually rubbish, we could get 6. lol.

Many thanks to those Leeds fans who took part. Leeds fans seem quietly confident of securing the League this year and also that they will knock Oldham out of the cup. But can Latics make it to the second round?...

• 4 weeks later...