Football's next star

I dont know if anybody has been watching the program names in the title of the thread, on sky 1 - But its basically the X factor of football with the winner getting a contract with inter milan. On tonights program Ben Greenhalgh was named the competition winner after months of trials (good player, ronaldo like!). It got me wondering - why anybody in england didnt try to sign him earlier. Not only that, but the runners up looked like very good young propects. It seems Watford have signed the runner up. Why not us?! did we even try?! probably not! there was also players who had 2 leave the competition due to injury, could we not look into getting these players up for trials? some talented players there to say the least...

I dont know if anybody has been watching the program names in the title of the thread, on sky 1 - But its basically the X factor of football with the winner getting a contract with inter milan. On tonights program Ben Greenhalgh was named the competition winner after months of trials (good player, ronaldo like!). It got me wondering - why anybody in england didnt try to sign him earlier. Not only that, but the runners up looked like very good young propects. It seems Watford have signed the runner up. Why not us?! did we even try?! probably not! there was also players who had 2 leave the competition due to injury, could we not look into getting these players up for trials? some talented players there to say the least...

watched the final tonight, was thinking the same thing, first time ive seen the show tonight so cant name players names

to be honest though, to get anywhere near Inter's academy, they have got to be too good for us?

there where only 10 wasnt there?

Obviously there was thousands that tried to get in. I remember at one stage it was at 40 players, which i think went to 20, then 10...

Even if we Oldham watched the whole series again now, i still think they could find a hidden gem. thats my opinion of course but there did look to be a lot of decent young players on show...

Edited by robboman

There have been two other series of this show or similar - the winner of one ended up playing semi-pro football within a couple of years and according to wikipedia, the other is still at Chelsea but in his loan spell at MK last season was only played for seven minutes. He'd been in Leeds' academy too.

I'd lay odds that, like the X Factor, there may be the odd good one who people missed but has got their chance on the show, but the eventual winner and especially the losers have been ignored for a reason and will end up on the scrapheap.