latics v millwall

What a game!

Goal within first 10 seconds (anybody got an official time on it?), own goal, penalty, red card, amazing come back and ducking the bottles coming over from the Millwall fans!

I didn't think we played that well - very similar to last season where we had the ball a lot and not a clue what to do with it, and the midfield rarely making the late run to join the attacking duo.

Quick review of the players as I saw it:

Crossley - would love to know what was said or wasn't said to Hazell for the second and think he should have dealt with the third.

Eardley - fine and more long range shooting to be encouraged. Love the run from the free kick for the 4th

Lomax - fine

Hazell - let's put it down to first game nightmare - his worst performance for Latics? Still my first choice at CB.

Gregan - as for Hazell, but would consider Stam/Hazell the proven partnership

Taylor - decent game, looked to get outside his man more today and was always a threat - great finish

Liddle - delivered some decent passes/crosses and found the net twice. Should take free kicks/corners ahead of Maher

Maher - underwhelmed. Too many dead balls given straight to the keeper and doesn't look like he'll link with the front two

Allott - played his usual game, but for Allott to have won player of the season sums up the contribution of others

O'Grady - ok, doesn't jump enough and could do more to use his strength

Davies - I'm sure he could use his pace to better effect, but would deliver more with a more supportive midfield

Whittaker - made the difference with some incisive passing

Hughes - won the pen and free kick and laid on the the goal for Lewis - a fit Hughes must always start

Alessandra - first time he's played with Hughes and we score 3 in 30 minutes. Nuff said. First choice strike duo for me