walking for ernie

just seen the article about the walk

great picture there. happy to be carrying my bucket haha

anyway well done to all the lads who done it and for raising so much money

The rarely wrong Chron does not mention the stolen ladders in Leeds but the picture will come in handy for Crimewatch.

Footy fans stride out for Cooksey

Reporter: Oldham Chronicle

Date online: 19/08/2008

MORE than two dozen Latics fans set out on an overnight walk, bound for Elland Road and Saturday’s Oldham match against Leeds United.

The aim was to raise money for the family of former Latics player Ernie Cooksey, who died last month from skin cancer, and they netted a massive £10,000, with still more to come in.

The walkers set out at 6.30pm on Friday from the White Hart, Royton, and covered the 36 miles well ahead of schedule.

They hit Leeds at 8.30am — six-and-a-half hours before the start of the match, giving them plenty of time to seek out a sports centre for a shower and a change of clothes before reaching Elland Road at 1.30pm.

There, the weary walkers got an invitation into the pitch, and were presented with footballs signed by both teams.

Walker Wayne Williams and walk organiser Carl Spiers plan to auction them off next month to raise more money for the Cooksey family.

Ernie’s partner, Louise Newlove, gave birth to his daughter, Isabella Georgia, a few days after his funeral.

Wayne said after the walk: “We would like to say a big thank you to all our sponsors.

“We are now planning a walkers get-together in September, where we will auction the footballs.”

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Guest oa_exile

For those who know them both Tony & Rodney (Ray) did the walk :chubb:

The lad with the ladders was Moggsy (Rochdale Fan) who walked the distance with the ladders , he was also involved with walk pre League Cup game.

2008819_115732.jpg

just seen the article about the walk

great picture there. happy to be carrying my bucket haha

anyway well done to all the lads who done it and for raising so much money

who is the one dressed as a dog?,and where is carl spiers on the photo? Edited by boboafc

For those who know them both Tony & Rodney (Ray) did the walk :chubb:

The lad with the ladders was Moggsy (Rochdale Fan) who walked the distance with the ladders , he was also involved with walk pre League Cup game.

Walking to Leeds with his ladders is like a walk to the shops for Moggy. I remember when he walked with them to Plymouth in 2000 when he looked like he was about to collapse any minute - Luckily for him, Plymouth's away end was terrace at the time - vaguely remember him lying down all half time and Macclesfield, where he did a lap of honour with them at half time without even breaking into a sweat. God knows how many walks he's done in aid of charity with his ladders.

Sure I heard his ladders got nicked outside Salters bar. Least it saved him carrying them home. :lol:

Top effort.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Guest oa_exile
he has lost his hair and put on weight since i last saw him , but he is a loyal latics fan , and if you see him please say "hello to him from me"

Will see him Saturday Bob , will pass on your regards to him.

Lost a few (more) teeth as well , father time has not been kind to Carl :grin: