Christian Abbiati

Christian Abbiati, 31, an Italian international, said: "I am not ashamed to proclaim my political beliefs. I share [the] ideals of fascism, such as the fatherland and the values of the Catholic religion."

Nice guy. Can you imagine if a footballer came out with that in England? They would quite rightly be shunned.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/sep/27/italy.acmilan

reading that short article,it seems to be spreading...

surprisingly amongst public figures,and they are very public about it.

Didn't Di Canio start doing a load of fascist salutes when he scored for Lazio in the Rome derby once? Lazio used to be Mussolini's favoured team where Roma are a bit more left orientated.

Fascism is a bit of a complex beast and a few Italians interpretations of it stems a lot from nationalist pride rather than for purposes of violence. It's very interesting a footballer has actually come out and worn his heart on his sleeve here. I bet there's loads in Italy that also think the same way but keep it under their hat more to avoid conflict or controversy.

Christian Abbiati, 31, an Italian international, said: "I am not ashamed to proclaim my political beliefs. I share [the] ideals of fascism, such as the fatherland and the values of the Catholic religion."

Nice guy. Can you imagine if a footballer came out with that in England? They would quite rightly be shunned.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/sep/27/italy.acmilan

The problem with many thick people including Christian here is that they do not understand the nature of the beast. Fascism is normally based around a strong central government that places the state at the centre of its core belief and surprisingly enough, the church does not come into that. Mussolini for instance was very anti religion so I’m not sure how Mr Abbiati’s beliefs fit into that. As for being for being nationalistic and also a catholic, how does he feel about people from the middle east, like Jesus Christ? I’m pretty sure he was from Galilee and not Gerona.