bad boy

williams is a few weeks away from training, or so i heard anyway

He was 6 weeks away from training 3 months ago.... would love to know what is going on with this lad, if he has had a setback, fair enough, just tell us... but the silence is deafening.... I know he is only a kid, so the club may think its unimportant - but i'd expect injury updates for any player they signed in the summer - they gave us the World interview which made him look like the next Rooney... so that has made me at least very interested....

Strange that the two biggest enigma's of the season - Lee and Williams, both came from Utd yoof.... we all know you only make it at Utd if you have the right attitude, maybe that indicates why they aint in our team yet....

Pure speculation of course - and a combination of genuine injuries, and Shez generally being pretty nervous about playing non-oldham bred youth players may be the genuine reason...

But i'm still interested...

Guest oa_exile
He was 6 weeks away from training 3 months ago.... would love to know what is going on with this lad, if he has had a setback, fair enough, just tell us... but the silence is deafening.... I know he is only a kid, so the club may think its unimportant - but i'd expect injury updates for any player they signed in the summer - they gave us the World interview which made him look like the next Rooney... so that has made me at least very interested....

Strange that the two biggest enigma's of the season - Lee and Williams, both came from Utd yoof.... we all know you only make it at Utd if you have the right attitude, maybe that indicates why they aint in our team yet....

Pure speculation of course - and a combination of genuine injuries, and Shez generally being pretty nervous about playing non-oldham bred youth players may be the genuine reason...

But i'm still interested...

That is the "Risk" you take with any player we sign, just look a the list of players over the years who have signed and just not made it for one reason or another.......... most recently Kalala and Thompson.

Agree though BFL about updates on players it just add's to the frustration.

In his interview he said it would be late September before he started training again.

He played for the youth team yesterday. Looks impressive. I was surprised that on a Saturday there was no first team match, there weren't more of us there to watch the young prospects. It's free after all.

And Alan Hardy chipped his old cup.

Anything else?

:cardinal:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oa_exile
David back in action

Reporter: MICHAEL YARWOOD

Date online: 28/10/2008

MICHAEL YARWOOD’S weekly look behind the scenes at Boundary Park

SUMMER signing is back in action for Athletic as a member of the youth team.

Williams moved to Boundary Park in July, signing a one-year contract after his release by Manchester United.

The 17-year-old striker had just suffered a knee injury, but Athletic were impressed with his potential and went ahead with the deal anyway.

He is now easing his way into games and played for half an hour in the youth team’s weekend defeat at Preston.

Athletic staged an impressive first half which earned them a 2-0 lead with goals from Ryan Brooke and the outstanding Aaron Chalmers.

But individual mistakes proved costly as Preston hit back to seal a 3-2 win in the last five minutes.